geekhack Community > geekhack Media

Can anyone identify this keyboard?

(1/7) > >>

Drag0nFly:
Hi all,

I came across this curious board, which – lacking much of any identifiable information – has proven to be a bit of a (perhaps short-lived) mystery. All I can discern is that the logo (if that is indeed what it is) appears to be three slightly diagonal bars (in the section for the lock lights), and a serial number which might be KC7106829.

It also has a quite interesting layout with a cross-nav, and an oddly-shaped enter (neither big-ass, nor ISO or the thinner ANSI, but more of a fusion between a big-ass enter and the ISO enter – or perhaps all three – if that makes sense)

Since the board has not appeared in physical form, it has proven a challenge to identify it from simply looking at pictures.

Any input would be appreciated.  ^-^

sefixmm:
No idea but at your place i try on deskthority.net, the board is more specialized in vintage boards ;)

Drag0nFly:
Yeap – I thought of that as well. I've done that now, let's see if it sheds any more light on this board which apparently prefers to remain anonymous. 
Thanks for the input.  :thumb:

Drag0nFly:
Well, I had no luck getting members on Deskthority to identify this. I even bought the keyboard, thinking it would be easier to see what type it was after dismantling it, but to no avail.

All I can say for certain is that the board has Alps SKCL Cream switches, and that the only adapter which works with it is @hasu's TMK adapter. :) My Soarers only produced error codes, and my passive AT-to-PS/2 and mouse+keyboard combo adapters did nothing.

The board also has a DIP-switch bank with eight switches underneath the PCB (CTS 206-8 T826) which allows protocol changes, et al.

I did a number of tests (>20+) with @hasu's adapter and got it to work when all switches were set off and a number of other settings (none of which worked with the AT adapters, even though it is registered as AT84). When (presumably) set to XT, the adapter only registers error codes.

It almost appears as if support for this, or a very similar model, was specifically added to support it. @hasu: is it possible to determine the type based on this (the id is reported as 0000 when it is detected as AT84, so perhaps not...)

The serial number appears to indicate a model which is “KC71”

Close-up of logo, which is three parallel bars with a shade-effect:

The only other indication is a PCB number which is 2051526-01

The microcontroller it uses is a National Semiconductor INS8039N-11 (https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/8039/National%20Semiconductor-INS8039N-11%20-%20P8039L.html)

Picture of full board

hasu:

--- Quote from: Drag0nFly on Sun, 12 December 2021, 10:01:08 ---I did a number of tests (>20+) with @hasu's adapter and got it to work when all switches were set off and a number of other settings (none of which worked with the AT adapters, even though it is registered as AT84). When (presumably) set to XT, the adapter only registers error codes.

It almost appears as if support for this, or a very similar model, was specifically added to support it. @hasu: is it possible to determine the type based on this (the id is reported as 0000 when it is detected as AT84, so perhaps not...)

--- End quote ---

Posting debug logs of Soarer's and TMK converter would be helpful to know your situation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version