Author Topic: [IC] DCS Green Tea R3  (Read 13936 times)

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
[IC] DCS Green Tea R3
« on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 09:37:08 »
DCS Green Tea R3

DCS Green Tea is a classic set designed by Numiru that ran for two rounds back in 2014.  It is one of those classic sets that is timeless, yet hard to obtain due to the limited quantity made and how long ago it ran.  We reached out to Numiru and asked for permission to do a rerun of this set which he graciously allowed us to.  As soon as we received permission we reached out to OneCreativeMind to work on the novelties based on some of the classic novelties along with some new ideas and we think they came out great. 

Now if you are wondering who we are, I (Aiwanei) had reached out to Numiru about it and was given permission to run it and then I had reached out to Jae from ProtoTypist to discuss working on it with me and it turns out he had been working on this with Numiru back before Covid, but it was put to the side when priorities changed due to the pandemic, so I asked if he would like to help me reimagine the kitting of this set in a way that increases compatibility but makes it as affordable as we can.

We chose to use the modified Gorton font, unlike the original run since we feel Gorton is part of the DCS Character that makes it stand out vs the Cherry-like DCS front.  DCS Green Tea R3 uses the same stock ABS colors as the original run did: GTA, VBQ and WA.

Kits(Renders by Pwade3):
Base Kit ($100 Target Price)

Extension Kit ($30 Target Price)

Novelties Kit ($25 Target Price)

Numpad Kit ($25 Target Price)

Renders(Renders by Pwade3):
Frog Mini by Geon

PC TKL One by Hiney

Please Fill Out the IC Form

Vendors:
US: ThocKeys
UK: ProtoTypist
Others: TBA

Group Buy Schedule:
TBD

Thank You:
Thank you to Numiru most of all, for the wonderful set he originally designed and allowing me to reintroduce it to the modern audience, and giving me the freedom to make changes to it.
Thanks as well to Jae for being my partner on this project.
OneCreativeMind for the amazing novelties, so talented.
Pwade3 for the awesome renders
Melissa from Signature Plastics, for being such a wonderful liaison to the community and answering the few questions I had.

ThocKeys.com

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
Re: [IC] DCS Green Tea R3
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 09:49:49 »
Missed opportunity to call it the Novelteas Kit  :D
Please add 2u spacebar to extensions!

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 09:51:01 »
As much as I like the standard DCS gorton font, I'd personally prefer the cherry replica legends the original runs had.

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:02:34 »
Cool set, I like. Completely forgot dcs green tea existed

Offline dallman5

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:08:05 »
awesome to see this coming back and glad you're going with the gorton modified font

may be cool to see some green/grey on white accents for some matcha latte vibes

good luck with the ic
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:12:52 »
I like the novelTEAs kit.
Idk why but I'm actually tickled at the UK being lumped in with 40's.

E: **** Dede beat me to it
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:15:23 by paperassgasket »

Offline Bunn3y

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:18:45 »
Love seeing more DCS sets coming out of Geekhack. GLWIC!
Typing on: Switchplate iiA Sanction TKL - Gateron X (51.5g Gon springs) - full alu - GMK Dolch R5

Collection: Ivery Praxis || HHKB Pro 2 || JTD.Works Ovinnik || Realforce R1 87u || Switchplate iiA Sanction

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:20:55 »
YES YES YES

Offline Sushiimi

• Board Collection Spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:57:17 »
Excited to see the set coming back! I personally second having the Cherry legends. I do enjoy the Gorton font but I would really prefer having the set be a bit closer to the original. I can appreciate the new novelties for those that might use them, I'd definitely get them if the kit included 2 1.5u versions of the original novelties. Unfortunately, though, as someone that has been looking for an original set for a while, the font change is a deal breaker for me in this particular case. I understand if that doesn't end up changing but maybe enough other folks might have the same interest as me and it could be changed before GB. If not, best of luck in the IC and future GB!  :thumb:

Offline Jampot_298

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 11:04:56 »
Yup, this is great!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 11:27:06 »

I do not care about the legends, I do not look at my keyboard. I'm ok with whatever. I hope I will have enough to purchase this set. I am happy you did this, Aiwanei. Thank you.

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 12:11:01 »
Gorton >>>

P.S. ily Aiwanei

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 13:42:41 »
In

Offline Fooblitzky

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 16:39:59 »
Looking good!

I'd definitely get them if the kit included 2 1.5u versions of the original novelties
2nd this emotion.

Like the Gorton Modified change (of course).

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 18:10:25 »
Yes, thank you for bringing this back! This is one of the sets I could've got when I first got into the hobby but passed on & have wanted ever since. I'm totally down with Gorton modified for the font, I can go either way this or Cherry/GMK font, but do agree Gorton modified does feel more in the spirit of DCS. Hopefully I get in on this when it runs, GL with the project going forward! :thumb:

Offline C_L | Soup

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 19:24:54 »
This sparks joy.
Thanks for bringing so many DCS sets to the table Aiwanei!

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 19:46:14 »
Please make sure you get samples of the spacebars. I think their moulds are slightly off.

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 19:50:36 »
Can a brother get an Alps kit please?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 20:00:26 »
puddsy endorsed
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 21:57:55 »
Please make sure you get samples of the spacebars. I think their moulds are slightly off.

I have had no issues with their ABS spacebars (6.25 and 7u). Their 6u bar uses am uncommon stab positioning. I do know they're have been reports of spacebar sizing with their recent PBT  DCS sets, but since this is doubleshot ABS not dyesub PBT it should not be affected by that issue.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 09:27:01 »
Just wanted to note, I had a couple comments about the price being high for the base kit based on other recent DCS sets.  I can say that the quotes surprised us when we first received it, and we confirmed with Melissa at SP that they have recently had to raise the prices due to an increased cost in resin that they could no longer absorb and had to pass on to the customers.  But even then, I have another project I am working on (one that started before this set, and even before solarized dark) that I recently got a quote on, that had more keys in the base and the difference in price was ~$1-2 when compared to DCS Green Tea base, so I am trying to understand where the price difference is coming from, and after making changes based on feedback, I will try to see about quoting a more comprehensive base kit again, but from the start the goal has been a ~$100 for the base kit that all vendors could handle (before local taxes/VAT).

I am taking no designer cut on this set.  Numiru designed this set originally and gave permission for me to run it however I wanted, so I thought it best to waive the designer fee since I did not "design" it in order to optimize pricing.

One other note, there is a mistake in the base kit render with the second R1 ESC not being alpha colored, this will be corrected shortly.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 10:42:25 »
I think SP has centered and off-center 6u. The PBT 7u spacebar sometimes shrinks and can be difficult to use, but the ABS one is perfectly fine as far as I know.

And I've had the same thing with pricing, SP, like every other keycap manufacturer, has had to raise their prices due to the plastic shortage.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline AuDiTH

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 15:28:50 »
Interested, thanks for bringing this set back!
SSK | AEK64 | TX-CP | HHKB | Acrylic Pearl | Duck Orion V3 | LZ MP | Kyuu Sakura
Currently joined GBs:
GMK British Racing Green
GMK ThinkCaps
SA 8010

Offline whee74

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 14:13:05 »
glad to see it coming back! good luck with this!

Offline mcmcmc

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 10:12:15 »
dcs store let’s goo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline plag

• Formerly pepperonichicken
  • i also go by plag
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 16:46:09 »
i love these colors! would love to see an alps kit if possible

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 17:30:18 »
I'm not a fan of having forcing barred homing keys in base. I'd suggest adding scoops to base or moving the nipples from Extension kit to base.

e: No scoops with DCS mb
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 January 2022, 17:40:04 by Fraaaan »

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 18:00:34 »
I'm not a fan of having forcing barred homing keys in base. I'd suggest adding scoops to base or moving the nipples from Extension kit to base.

e: No scoops with DCS mb

Yeah if DCS had scoops would have had that in base for sure.
ThocKeys.com

Offline carlfink

• metal rectangle enjoyer, @carl.#1208 on discord
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 02:53:19 »
 :thumb: i like

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 17:40:07 »
If I were in the market for a keycap set, I definitely would consider this. I love that shade of green. I also like green tea.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 17:24:54 »
Ready for more green tea

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 18:22:31 »
Great set. I third swapping homing keys, placing barred into the extension kit.

Offline AeternusCo

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 10:05:45 »
Please consider adding mod pipe and 2u spacebar

Offline Rpmorrison10

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 11:35:10 »
I second 2u spacebar to the extensions kit

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 16:26:19 »
Pls consider some accent keys like esc and white arrows

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 17:30:51 »
Just wanted to give an update that I'm working on changing up the kitting a bit khoping to add a bit more compatibility tobase), ideally the quotes can come back competitive enough still, and will look at adding one or two additional kits along with some expanded novelties, but want to try to keep this lean in the number of kits and keep it affordable as possible.
ThocKeys.com

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 18:47:31 »
Just wanted to give an update that I'm working on changing up the kitting a bit khoping to add a bit more compatibility tobase), ideally the quotes can come back competitive enough still, and will look at adding one or two additional kits along with some expanded novelties, but want to try to keep this lean in the number of kits and keep it affordable as possible.
Please, if you do enter novelty, please give iso your love too.

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 19:04:33 »

If you look at my other set running right now DCS Reaper you can see that the ISO Novelty Enter was definitely not forgotten, and as long as it fits the theme and isn't forced into the concept I am definitely open to doing unique options for both.
ThocKeys.com

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 01:54:11 »

If you look at my other set running right now DCS Reaper you can see that the ISO Novelty Enter was definitely not forgotten, and as long as it fits the theme and isn't forced into the concept I am definitely open to doing unique options for both.
Ok, tks for the reply, I think this time you can keep the base at around 100 even with mini bars in it. Since you include novelties in Reaper, its base price increases. So with only standard mold, can you consider moving mini bars from extension kit to base?

Offline superjackie

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 02:45:02 »
looks great. if u like greentea, this a must-get set.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 09:04:31 »
This is one of the GOAT DCS sets.

If the barred homing keys were swapped with the dotted homing keys, it would bring the set within the realm of accessibility to me. Right now, it's looking like several people would have to go for the extension kit just to get the dotted keys.

Also, I agree that NovelTeas >>>> Novelties.

Offline J_Arno

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 10:03:19 »
Are there still plans for this Set? Or am I stupid and I missed the GB? :-[

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 12:26:41 »
I will stop thinking about money and purchase every DCS set including this one  Thank you  Yes 

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 13:12:02 »
Yes plan is to run this next year, delayed due to prices going up at SP and sales in general slowing down so taking the time to refine the kitting to optimize the pricing to get everyone the best option for the price.
ThocKeys.com

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 22:06:29 »
Yes plan is to run this next year, delayed due to prices going up at SP and sales in general slowing down so taking the time to refine the kitting to optimize the pricing to get everyone the best option for the price.

Thank you
Here is another Poem

Today I drank

The tea was brown and dark
Inside the clay it shone
A reflection and a trap
Can you see the trees?

I took a drink,
Like hay!

And the earth rushing close to my head,
the sequence of senses

We looked at the logs and smelled the water
We heard the cicadas and tasted the bitter tea

The time, it froze!

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 23:04:39 »
DCS Green Tea R3
How did this run 2 times?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 21:12:59 »
DCS Green Tea R3
How did this run 2 times?

?

low moq back in the day and less 40s supporting : )

Offline thanhhuy1910

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 18 August 2023, 02:36:20 »
Any updates for this set? Is this discontinued :( ?