Author Topic: Can anyone recommend some decent web hosting service?  (Read 8384 times)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Can anyone recommend some decent web hosting service?
« on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 16:16:33 »
as title states

I've been having issue with my web hosting service lately and I'm looking to switch.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Can anyone recommend some decent web hosting service?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 20:20:55 »
I've used a few, and the one I like most is the one I'm on currently, Host Gator.

In web hosting, you can get cheap and lousy service, or good service at a very high price, there isn't much in between. For me, Host Gator was the best compromise. Relatively cheap, with decent service.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 21:15:34 »
I've used a few, and the one I like most is the one I'm on currently, Host Gator.

In web hosting, you can get cheap and lousy service, or good service at a very high price, there isn't much in between. For me, Host Gator was the best compromise. Relatively cheap, with decent service.

I was using host gator but it takes my pages forever to load

I just switched to namecheap and got a 40% discount is doesn't seem that bad
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 21:19:41 by appleonama »

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 22:58:39 »
if you don't mind a vps, i'd go with digitalocean

their $5/month plan is great for sites that don't get much traffic

https://m.do.co/c/2f1c4a1010fb <---- disclaimer, that's a referral link(you get $10 in credit though)
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:02:32 by thelectronicnub »
KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:12:42 »
If you want a fully dedicated server I can hook you up. ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:44:39 »

I was using host gator but it takes my pages forever to load

I just switched to namecheap and got a 40% discount is doesn't seem that bad
It all depends on the server and plan you are on, for every host. If you get on a new or unpopulated or a server with just a bunch of small sites, it will be fast. On the other hand, as the server loads up, and/or a site on that server gets popular, it can effect all of the other sites on that server. Most hosts, the smart ones, will see this added load and force them onto a different plan and/or server. This is a shared hosting system and they work and are meant for low load sites.

On a VPS server, each site gets a limited amount of resources, sometimes they give you a little extra in case you run over on occasion, and again, if you start effecting others, they will force you to upgrade to a better plan, or even your own sever.

I've used all three, low end host plans suck. If a host pays attention, it works, but on the lowest plans, none of them do unless you are completely flooding the server (been there). Unless people complain, they probably don't even know there's a problem. This happens on every shared host, not just Host Gator. Running away might fix it, or you could go through the hassle of moving, only to find the new host is even worse (I got three bad ones in a row), or they have crap service, or some other major problem.

I've used well over half a dozen hosts some for personal use, others for commercial sites and good cheap hosting is like looking for water in the desert.  I have had such bad experiences, even after asking for recommendations...  I spent 2 years looking for a commercial host I could afford who didn't completely suck or try and rip me off. When you find a host that's working for you for the most part, stick with them if it's an easy problem to fix, and this is a relatively easy one to fix.

So your options are move, tell them the sever is dragging, or move up to a VPS plan with guaranteed resources. Yes, a VPS is a bit more money and work, but it kind of insulates you from these sorts of problems and gives you a lot more options, want more sites or domains, add them, need more memory, add it to the plan, want a bunch of email addresses, add all you want. If you run a site that is remotely popular or plan on a few sites/domains, you really may just want to step up to a VPS.

By the way, a cheap plan like Thelectronichub recommended ihas the same problem unless it has guaranteed resources (and near as I can tell they do not). They may say get x amount of memory and processor, however, that doesn't mean dedicated and there's nothing stating that you are not sharing that, just that you have access to that amount. I found nothing on their site saying that memory or CPU was dedicated to you. The fact that they term it cloud hosting sets off alarms tells me that's exactly what they are doing, as does the fact that you can rent by the hour. The hourly throws up even more flags as gamers rent for game servers for tournaments, flood the server for a weekend and then get booted off, or a spammer uses it and gets the shared IP address placed on every spam registry.

Just because your site is low resource doesn't mean everyone else on that server will be playing by the same rules. Many places doing plans that cheap are giving you a VPS, but it shares the server resources.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 04:44:13 »
I don't know how much you want to host, and how you create it.

At work we are switching from self-hosted to SquareSpace.  Their online web design system has a few minor quirks, but I was able to create a half reasonable site in a few days.

https://www.squarespace.com/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 15:58:40 »

Where are those located?

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 15:58:49 »

Where are those located?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 19:26:13 »
I'm done messing with shared hosting. I use Amazon EC2 for everything now. Been very happy to have full control of my Ubuntu LTS instances, even if it does make for a bit of extra admin work.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 19:33:56 »

Where are those located?

They are Supermicro boxes with full remote KVM in a SSAE16 Type II Data Center in Houston.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 06:28:45 »

Where are those located?

They are Supermicro boxes with full remote KVM in a SSAE16 Type II Data Center in Houston.

Unfortunately this is on the wrong side of the planet.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 06:30:44 »
Digital Ocean

Offline DonaManing

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 03:41:44 »
I also would like to find a new one web hosting service

Offline KiksLawres

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 04:04:27 »
It is very important to find a quality hosting provider which can run smoothly. I agree with the opinion that, on the one hand, you might be hesitant to use a new hosting because it’s yet to establish itself in the market. It does seem to have few reviews and an unestablished reputation. On the other hand, as the server loads up and/or a site on that server gets popular, it can affect all of the other sites. I usually base my choice on two things - user recommendations and whether I can get a good yet relatively cheap cpanel license. These two criteria have never let me down.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2021, 05:03:53 by KiksLawres »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 11:10:16 »
I also would like to find a new one web hosting service

Heroku, heroku, and heroku  :D

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u