geekhack Marketplace > Matias

Ergo Pro going senile

<< < (2/3) > >>

auburntigerrich:
Thanks to everyone for confirming my suspicions.  My 2nd Matias Ergo Pro (the Windows flavor) is exhibiting the same symptoms.  I'm getting repeated E's every 3rd or 4th press.  My first one (that I RMA'ed in August 2017) was giving me repeated R's, and then injecting the occasional 6 or 7 whenever I hit anything in the YUIOP[] row.

Popping off the offending keycap and blowing a tornado of air in there fixes it for a day or two, but then it is back to its old tricks.

Sadly I can't find another quiet mechanical ergonomic model out there that gives me the arrow cluster and the home/end/pgup/pgdn cluster, so I'm going to try one more RMA..... hopefully this time I'll get one from a different production run.

ryahirv:

--- Quote from: auburntigerrich on Mon, 27 November 2017, 10:12:33 ---Thanks to everyone for confirming my suspicions.  My 2nd Matias Ergo Pro (the Windows flavor) is exhibiting the same symptoms.  I'm getting repeated E's every 3rd or 4th press.  My first one (that I RMA'ed in August 2017) was giving me repeated R's, and then injecting the occasional 6 or 7 whenever I hit anything in the YUIOP[] row.

Popping off the offending keycap and blowing a tornado of air in there fixes it for a day or two, but then it is back to its old tricks.

Sadly I can't find another quiet mechanical ergonomic model out there that gives me the arrow cluster and the home/end/pgup/pgdn cluster, so I'm going to try one more RMA..... hopefully this time I'll get one from a different production run.

--- End quote ---

Hi - Say, how's it going with your Ergo Pro?

I had 2 of them in the past and both had many key repeat issues and I finally gave up. I hear they claim they've fixed a lot of that with 2017 models, but Amazon reviews seem to indicate that the problems are still there.

How's it been for you on the latest RMA?

I have a 2017 model supposed to arrive today but I'm considering sending it right back as I just don't want to go down the route of unreliability again if its' still an issue.

Thanks so much

chx:
I bought my second, new one, 2017 June. The right half needed replacement after Space died, the left half replacement will be mailed out tomorrow, it's again "t" repeating forever but also the Shift being dead. I will report how soon the 2018 ones die because with the two halves now I will have a 2018 keyboard, I guess.

Gerk:
I'm on my third Ergo Pro.  The first one was one of the original ones and I had some issues with the placement of the right control key (or whatever it was before it was a control key) so I ended up changing that one up for a second gen one and ended up buying back the original one from their warehouse for a discount to keep as a backup board.  Both of them started to exhibit strange sort of behaviour with ghosting, both injecting 7's into various common words constantly, like "the" which would become "th7e" pretty consistently.  Also other odd misses of some of the "programming" keys like [ ] ' " ; : ... enough so that I swore off the them and retired both of them.

Then ... and not sure what I was thinking, I pulled one out of mothballs a couple of months back to try it out again and I forgot how much i liked the hardware (and also forgot how much they made me crazy with the ghosting and missing keys).  So then I got a little crazy and decided to buy a new one and try the soft touch model or whatever it's called.  And guess what ... out of the box it has a strange ghosting type issue (sort of) ... the caps lock light randomly gets suck on.  Not getting caps when it comes on, just lights up and is very hard to get it to turn off.  Sometimes having to toggle the caps lock key on and off 3-4 sets of times to get it to go off.  And then within a couple of minutes it lights up again.

Reached out to support and they are sending me a replacement keyboard.  Again.  I will say here what I said to support ... I LOVE the hardware layout and keys but guys, for the price of these boards you really have to get on the quality control.  If it wasn't for funky control issues these things would last forever.  I kind of regret buying yet another one as I suspect even if this new one has the caps lock light issue resolved I suspect that it's going to end up with other similar issues again in a pretty short amount of time like the previous ones had.

Such a shame because no one is building them with this kind of layout anymore.  I have zero interest in re-learning new key layouts or having funky thumb key clusters or whatever ... I just want a split ergo board in a traditional layout with good mechanical keys ...

Typing right now on a Microsoft Surface keyboard (which makes me crazy for other reasons, like going to sleep constantly so every time I try to type something if it's been a few minutes I have to look and see if it's actually working or just go back when finished typing and re-add the first 4 words that it missed while it was waking up).  Not to mention that scissor keys are nowhere near as nice as cherries or alps style.

Maybe between all of us geeks we can figure out a way to just build our own controllers for these ergo pro's and call it a day?

pcssolutions:
My Ergo Pro is about 3 months old, and since last week, when I that I type with the letter "r", about 20% of the time, I would get double to triple "r"s.

I google for repeating keys Ergo Pro and it has led me here.  Since my keyboard is under a year, I should get a replacement or repair, but like other here, I sure don't want to spend $200 every couple years for a split keyboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version