Author Topic: Non-standard ortholinear experiment w Zealio 65g Tactile  (Read 2443 times)

Offline notbrain

Non-standard ortholinear experiment w Zealio 65g Tactile
« on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 12:58:36 »
Ordered back in Dec and finally got the top and bottom plates and diodes. Zealios have been patiently waiting.

134590-0

The layout is patterned after MacBook Pro keyboards and the Apple Wireless, but with wider modifier keys, 1x2 shift. I started with ESC and the arrow cluster and built in from there. Lack of 3u spacebars is the reason for the 2x2u setup, but just saw some GMK release with them and was thrilled. No real scientific reason for the layout but what I think I want. Need to work out up/down layers and find keycaps.

134592-1

Looking to get blank DCS (aka Cherry profile? or are they separate things?) PBT caps and using water-transfer decals to put symbols on the fronts...open to suggestions if there are better ways to print custom legends. LEDs on each cap will illuminate the fronts of the row behind, could even use glow in the dark decals material if available.

Base will be either aluminum or wood, but I've got to get a dust hood figured out on the XCarve before I do any more milling.

134594-2

I have a bunch of Teensy's lying around so I'll probably just wire up manually and use one. Would like to get bluetooth as well if I have the time. Might make a separate light controller with an RPI, RGB rotary encoder, and this massive knob I found on amazon:

134596-3

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Non-standard ortholinear experiment w Zealio 65g Tactile
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:33:21 »
what is meant by 'ortholinear'?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Koren

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:23:30 »
Keyboards without staggerred rows, where each keys are vertically aligned.

Or "keyboards without a non-ergonomic key layout inherited from the time when there was levers behind the keys that prevented keys to be aligned".

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:26:26 »
Keyboards without staggerred rows, where each keys are vertically aligned.

Or "keyboards without a non-ergonomic key layout inherited from the time when there was levers behind the keys that prevented keys to be aligned".

Ah I see... thanks!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline notbrain

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 14:30:26 »
Mish mash of keycaps lying around, DSA Dolch + Ergodox kit.

135876-0