geekhack Community > Off Topic

Do we really need 5G? EVER?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sun, 07 August 2022, 16:32:16 ---What exactly does someone do with even more wireless bandwidth?

--- End quote ---
It's got nothing to do with bandwidth for you it's about bandwidth for all. Sort of.
As mentioned, it's shared. We continue to use more and more data and while broadband is pretty close to all we need for the future, more and more of our devices are wireless and that system isn't even close to what all we need. The ultimate goal, for who I'm not sure, is for EVERY device to have a dedicated connection, doesn't matter if if's net facing or not. This way all of your devices can talk to each other from anywhere. Your toaster can talk to your tv even if you loan it to someone across the country.

Why?
That's a good question. You can say it's the Jurassic park problem, they "spent so much time thinking they could do it, they forgot to ask if they should" but the truth is a but more obvious... Profits (because people are stupid enough to buy it) and data harvesting (which also leads to profits). Ignoring the fact that we're talking about a toaster and TV, we've already seen how bad IOT security is, I don't understand this desire to put everything online, much less with a unique IP. What could go wrong?

If you think that's stupid,
They want self driving cars to use 5g, in fact many claim that's all that holding up Tesla's self driving car (hahahah, no), they want 5g in them so they can talk and avoid each other. Honestly, there's no need for cars to use 5g for navigation, in fact that's one of the stupidest ideas... There's no failsafe that way (what if the system goes down?) and why does a car in California need to communicate with a car in New York? Why does it need a unique IP? A FAR better method would be a mesh network they create themselves as they get near, and, it's only able to help each other navigate. But that would require a standard and gov intervention and right now this whole thing is wild wild west so good luck with that. You would still need a data connection to update maps but that should be the end of it, but we know that's not even close to the end of it which is why they will reject a national mesh network standard, at least until we get a local outtage that causes a massive pileup.

Anyhow, as to  whether we need it? Yes.
Yes, while 5g is plenty fast for 4k streams as more pile on, well, just look at 4g, at one time that was really fast, now it's saturated. It's going to be 6g at least before we get to where we have anything close to  "enough". 5g is just a stepping stone to get there (and sort of a joke). And even that's only if no new high bandwidth tech comes along, which could because we're talking almost a decade before we see 6g.

granola bar enthusiast:
 better

ranoro:
well from executing remote surgeries to telemedicine to upgrading self-driving cars to access live maps and traffic data faster, to advancing smart cities to monitor air quality and power consumption, and that of smart buildings, smart factories, virtual reality gaming and several other stuff, I’m pretty sure yes we need it

same argument could be made before - do we need 4g 3g etc? the answer is yes, technological progress naturally unlocks more powerful tech and that’s how we will advance as a society

personally I can’t wait to NOT spend 1h commuting, my car knows the way and can take me on his own at this point

Findecanor:

--- Quote from: ranoro on Mon, 08 August 2022, 13:28:53 ---executing remote surgeries to telemedicine to upgrading self-driving cars to access live maps and traffic data faster, to advancing smart cities to monitor air quality and power consumption, and that of smart buildings, smart factories, virtual reality gaming
--- End quote ---
I don't know you at all, so I can't tell if you are serious or attempting to be sarcastic.

Those words look like they are copied straight out of Huawei's marketing material. Yes, 5G was developed by Huawei.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Mon, 08 August 2022, 15:12:27 ---
5G was developed by Huawei.

--- End quote ---

I thought that this was the original core fear of what it could do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version