Author Topic: Filco vs Rosewill - Not Impressed  (Read 14706 times)

Offline davewolfs

Filco vs Rosewill - Not Impressed
« on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 12:52:55 »
RK9000 in front of me.  Filco in front of me.

RK9000 does not ping, Filco pings on spacebar.  The ping is annoying.

Is this normal?  The cheaper keyboard honestly feels/sounds better because of this and I am trying to like the Filco.

Offline Champloo

Re: Filco vs Rosewill - Not Impressed
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:01:41 »
RK9000 in front of me.  Filco in front of me.

RK9000 does not ping, Filco pings on spacebar.  The ping is annoying.

Is this normal?  The cheaper keyboard honestly feels/sounds better because of this and I am trying to like the Filco.

In my short time here I have learned that these things come down to user preference, you might like something that others don't.

If you don't like the Filco then you don't like the filco, don't force yourself to like something just because it's more expensive or because the majority like it.  Type on the keyboard you prefer, not the keyboard you think you're supposed to prefer.  I've never typed on a Filco but I have typed on a Rosewill and I thought it was a great keyboard, so sure, it's normal to like a Rosewill!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:03:23 by Champloo »

Offline davewolfs

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:23:13 »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:28:15 »
Don't worry, I'm sure TotalChaos will be along shortly to tell you how bad the Rosewill actually is.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:34:43 »
I just bought a Filco with blues and don't have any ping. I'm not sure why some of the boards have this issue. Personally, I switched from a Blackwidow to the Filco and I really liked the Filco a lot more. But I agree with Champloo and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Hopefully someone comes along to suggest a fix for your ping but I unfortunately am pretty new to keyboards and GH.

Is the ping the only thing that is bothering you? I found that the Blackwidow seems to almost emphasize the clickyness of the blues while the blues on the Filco had less of a bump and feel a bit more like a linear switch.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Filco vs Rosewill - Not Impressed
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 13:36:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

While you're typing on the Filco, just think about how much more expensive it is than the Rosewill. That will make using it feel much better than the Rosewill.

I haven't experienced it, but some people have had the USB connector detach from the PCB of their Rosewills. If that happens to you, I'm sure you will appreciate the Filco's non-detachable cable.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 14:01:02 »
I was really worried about this ping business before I ordered my Filco and tried to get a sense of it watching YouTube videos.  Once I got it, though, I found I have a couple of pingy keys (primarily the 4) but I actually quite enjoy it.  Reminds me I'm typing on something durable and solid.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 14:08:20 »
As a personnal experience, my first filco had no ping. I loved it. So much I got a second one for the job. This one had a LOT of ping (or it was more a global resonnance), I was very disapointed and it was worse because I had a "perfect" one at home.

But I was lucky enough to be able to RMA it, got another one, and it was perfect too and I am very happy with it.

As a side note, the "perfect" ones are both camo edition, and the one with the problem was a ninja, but it could have just been a coincidance.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 14:38:43 »
I just bought a Filco with blues and don't have any ping. I'm not sure why some of the boards have this issue. Personally, I switched from a Blackwidow to the Filco and I really liked the Filco a lot more. But I agree with Champloo and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Hopefully someone comes along to suggest a fix for your ping but I unfortunately am pretty new to keyboards and GH.

Is the ping the only thing that is bothering you? I found that the Blackwidow seems to almost emphasize the clickyness of the blues while the blues on the Filco had less of a bump and feel a bit more like a linear switch.

Hold down several keys and pick your hand up as fast as you can. You shall hear the ping sound..

Now, in some keyboards this sound is "ALLEGEDLY" louder than others...

To clarify, all the PING i've ever heard on MX keyboards were quite MILD, and NOT perceptually audible unless you're purposefully listening for it.

That isn't to say if you have "Ears of the Gods" with "+99 Anal" you won't hear the feint pinging... in fact you most definitely will with that spec

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 16:38:47 »
Don't worry, I'm sure TotalChaos will be along shortly to tell you how bad the Rosewill actually is.

I just spit up my drink  :))

the RK9000 is not a bad board, i was surprised $25 got me something this good (+$50  PBT keycaps lol)

Offline tauburn

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 16:46:53 »
one thing i noticed on my filco, is that the whole number row grinds against the body of the keyboard which really pisses me off.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 17:12:00 »

the RK9000 is not a bad board, i was surprised $25 got me something this good (+$50  PBT keycaps lol)

I also LOL super hard when I read that too.

Basically the thing with Rosewill is that the mini B connector is kind of like gambling.  If it doesn't break you gained profit (as oppose to paying Filco price), if it does break you lost your bet.

one thing i noticed on my filco, is that the whole number row grinds against the body of the keyboard which really pisses me off.

This doesn't happen to me, I just took a look I have about 1 mm clearance around the keys.  You might need to RMA.

HOWEVER, if you can be patient enough and wait till late April.  Carter said that's when CM Storm XT will be available  :D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 17:16:33 »
As a personnal experience, my first filco had no ping. I loved it. So much I got a second one for the job. This one had a LOT of ping (or it was more a global resonnance), I was very disapointed and it was worse because I had a "perfect" one at home.

But I was lucky enough to be able to RMA it, got another one, and it was perfect too and I am very happy with it.

As a side note, the "perfect" ones are both camo edition, and the one with the problem was a ninja, but it could have just been a coincidance.

I have no issues with my Ninja with blues. It was very pingy the first couple days I had it, but the issue seemed to go away quickly. I can hear the ping if I'm really paying attention and put my ear next to the keyboard, but it isn't audible for normal typing.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 17:35:33 »
I got a Filco Majestouch 2 full size with browns recently and I've noticed it has a couple pingy keys as well. I don't mind it too much though.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 17:48:50 »
PING!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 18:10:14 »

Hold down several keys and pick your hand up as fast as you can. You shall hear the ping sound..

Now, in some keyboards this sound is "ALLEGEDLY" louder than others...

To clarify, all the PING i've ever heard on MX keyboards were quite MILD, and NOT perceptually audible unless you're purposefully listening for it.

That isn't to say if you have "Ears of the Gods" with "+99 Anal" you won't hear the feint pinging... in fact you most definitely will with that spec

I have no issues with my Ninja with blues. It was very pingy the first couple days I had it, but the issue seemed to go away quickly. I can hear the ping if I'm really paying attention and put my ear next to the keyboard, but it isn't audible for normal typing.

Oh apparently there is a ping. Huh...It's very faint though. I never noticed it until I actually listened for it. Still loving the Filco ^_^.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 18:11:22 »
Oh god...

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:23:42 »
While maybe a bit better than the other alternatives, I think that Filco was mostly a fad here on geekhack. At the time there weren't many mechanical keyboards, just the steelseries and razer ones. This made the Filco something a bit more exotic since it wasn't from a mainstream US company. It also helps that it offered more switch options, didn't have gimmicky features and didn't have some of the problems that razer keyboards had. So while it was a good keyboard, it's not really something to get super excited about anymore.

Now that some people are getting some "Korean customs" that's the new fad. The CM Storm Quickfire Rapid provides very good bang for the buck. With the Filco, you're paying twice the amount for an increase in quality that a very large majority of people will not even notice, if it's even there to be noticed at all.

There are some horror stories about Rosewills that should have failed QA, but a properly functioning Rosewill is probably a fine keyboard.

In general, a lot of the stuff that becomes popular on geekhack is popular because it is rare, hard to get, expensive, or good looking rather than because it's the best quality. That's not to say say that these can't coincide, but when you read reviews that people write about them, it's mostly like "it feels solid" and "nice looking construction." There's usually not much about them that makes them stand apart in terms of functionality. I also want to say that for people who love keyboards so much and probably use them a lot, there's very little love for ergonomic keyboards.

But in general this is how hobbies work. If there weren't new fads to hop between, then there'd be little reason to stick with the hobby as there'd be nothing to talk about or collect.

I don't have a Korean custom of my own, but just to show that I'm not completely biased here's a quote from a rather reputable member here who does have experience with them:

I ship it out to the happy owner.  I've done 2 or 3 Cheats, built or modified 8 or so KMACs, couple of KMinis, MXminis, LZ boards...

None of them really caught my eye.  I have bpiphany's controller for my Filcos so I have everything I need in terms of control over what my board can do. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:32:27 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline tauburn

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:34:37 »

how do i RMA?

I also LOL super hard when I read that too.

Basically the thing with Rosewill is that the mini B connector is kind of like gambling.  If it doesn't break you gained profit (as oppose to paying Filco price), if it does break you lost your bet.

This doesn't happen to me, I just took a look I have about 1 mm clearance around the keys.  You might need to RMA.

HOWEVER, if you can be patient enough and wait till late April.  Carter said that's when CM Storm XT will be available  :D

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 21:46:11 »
hehehe The trick to understanding how lame a Rosewill is, is to use it ergonomically for a while.  Put it in your lap.  Type on it.  Love it.  Tell it how wonderful it is.  Tell all your friends to buy it.  Do that for a month.  After it breaks and all your friends tell you what an idiot you are then you can tell us how much you like it.   :p   I went thru this experience the hard way.  You can too.  ;D

I freely admit that there is no ping on my Rosewills.  But I cheated and had one of them lubed.  You should lube your filco.  I think its a good chance for it to fix the ping.  My lubed Rosewill is waaaaaaaay quieter than the unlubed one.  Its niiiiice in that regard.

Altho u r not exactly supposed to lube blue switches...  so u r in a bit a pickle.

The lube guy lubed my Red, Brown and Black switches.  But he did not lube the Blue because he said it could drastically reduce the click.  Clicking is sort of the whole point of Blues.

Is the cable built into your Filco?
Or does it connect with a MiniUSB port?
Is it a channeled cable?
I am trying to figure out what kind of strain relief your Filco has.   A keyboard with ZERO strain relief (like Rosewill) is guaranteed to break at some point in the future.  Its only a question of time.  Tick.. tock..
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 21:52:16 »
Filcos have a fixed cable going through a short rubber cable gland.  I don't recall if there's a labyrinth internally, but there is a small ferrite on the cable and that is in a molded compartment.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:55:32 »
hehehe The trick to understanding how lame a Rosewill is, is to use it ergonomically for a while.  Put it in your lap.  Type on it.  Love it.  Tell it how wonderful it is.  Tell all your friends to buy it.  Do that for a month.  After it breaks and all your friends tell you what an idiot you are then you can tell us how much you like it.   :p   I went thru this experience the hard way.  You can too.  ;D

I freely admit that there is no ping on my Rosewills.  But I cheated and had one of them lubed.  You should lube your filco.  I think its a good chance for it to fix the ping.  My lubed Rosewill is waaaaaaaay quieter than the unlubed one.  Its niiiiice in that regard.

Altho u r not exactly supposed to lube blue switches...  so u r in a bit a pickle.

The lube guy lubed my Red, Brown and Black switches.  But he did not lube the Blue because he said it could drastically reduce the click.  Clicking is sort of the whole point of Blues.

Is the cable built into your Filco?
Or does it connect with a MiniUSB port?
Is it a channeled cable?
I am trying to figure out what kind of strain relief your Filco has.   A keyboard with ZERO strain relief (like Rosewill) is guaranteed to break at some point in the future.  Its only a question of time.  Tick.. tock..

OMG I cant believe what I just read..... Same exact board as Filco full size jusy it has the metal plate. The only drawback at Rosewill is the way they designed the mini USB, there is no housing around it to keep it in place and eventually the solder breaks after many plug ins and plug outs....

Thats the only difference between Filco and Rosewill, let me see I paid $25 for the Rosewill reds and I maeby will have to solder the mini USB once a year since my board does not get plugged out all the time, stays on the desk. Filco cost $150 and lets say headache free.... Hmmmmmm,yeah its a no brainer what I will choose....

Or how about this, Filco cost $150, and I already arranged to buy 3 CM Quickfire Rapids Green,Red and Brown switches for $190 shipped. Hmmmmm, yeah I dont think so Filco, again 3 boards to have with 3 different switches to enjoy, same quality + no mini USB problems.....

Face the fact homies Filco is overpiced, I rather buy WASD with reliable CS to back you up and still cheaper than Filco's + option to pay less for barebone and you can use your own PBT dyesub or DS keycaps.....
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 01:07:15 »
I agree Filcos are overpriced... but that does not excuse Rosewill's intentional bad quality.

And you can't say QFR is "same quality" as Filco because the QFR is missing 17 keys.

And I never unplugged my Rosewill.  Plugging/unplugging doesn't matter.  It is going to break anyway.

I agree with you that its WASD FTW!  :D
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 01:19:57 »
I agree Filcos are overpriced... but that does not excuse Rosewill's intentional bad quality.

And you can't say QFR is "same quality" as Filco because the QFR is missing 17 keys.

And I never unplugged my Rosewill.  Plugging/unplugging doesn't matter.  It is going to break anyway.

Well I'm typing on my Rosewill and I been flexing the cable where it connects to the USB and seems sturdy to me so far, if it weakens I will resolder it and maeby apply the Gorilla glue on the sides to keep it in place for a long time to come. Voila Filco quality for $25 bucks.

LOL minus 17 keys on the QFR, they are coming out with XT version and normal USB plug instead of the mini.

WASD is a no brainer, but Rosewill for $25 is a no brainer also, I love the board feels awesome.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 04:33:52 »

Number of keys have nothing to do with quality as long as the keyboard doesn't come with less keys than advertised or if the keyboard is made for a specific purpose that requires a certain number of keys or a specific layout to work optimally. If you need the tenkey then the QFR isn't a lower quality board as a result of that, it just doesn't suit your needs. The QFR would make a poor quality POS board due to the lack of numpad, but the QFR isn't made for POS use so that is 100% irrelevant. It's like saying a toothbrush is poor quality because it did a ****ty job of sweeping your front yard.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 07:33:15 »
There are a lot of things that are overpriced yet people still buy them.  Why would people buy a $75 Ralph Lauren Polo shirt when you can get no generic brand at target for $10?  Because of the brandname.  Yes Filco's are expensive, but maybe we just enjoy having the brand and are loyal to it.  All that really matters in the end is whether you enjoy typing on it.  I think the rest of the world can agree that we are all crazy for spending so much on keyboards, so lets try to stick together and not fight about petty ****.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 08:05:30 »
There are a lot of things that are overpriced yet people still buy them.  Why would people buy a $75 Ralph Lauren Polo shirt when you can get no generic brand at target for $10?  Because of the brandname.  Yes Filco's are expensive, but maybe we just enjoy having the brand and are loyal to it.  All that really matters in the end is whether you enjoy typing on it.  I think the rest of the world can agree that we are all crazy for spending so much on keyboards, so lets try to stick together and not fight about petty ****.
The other thing that makes Filcos and Topre boards more expensive is that they're pretty small brands outside Asia and there are very few and somewhat unknown retailers selling them, resulting in fewer units sold which means each unit needs to cost more if the company wants to make a profit.

Offline link_tree

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 08:08:05 »
QFT! this guy deserves a medal

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 09:14:47 »
The only reason you hear the ping is because you listen for it.  Just go about your business and it won't bug you.  Wear some headphones if you must.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 12:22:01 »
The other thing that makes Filcos and Topre boards more expensive is that they're pretty small brands outside Asia and there are very few and somewhat unknown retailers selling them, resulting in fewer units sold which means each unit needs to cost more if the company wants to make a profit.

THIS is sooooo not relevant in the keyboard market....  2013 people how much do you think it costs to build one of these things... ;D

Offline phx

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 12:27:37 »
Am I the only person here who doesn't know what this "ping" is?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:44:56 »
Am I the only person here who doesn't know what this "ping" is?

Show Image

do the thing i said...... LOL

Press down a bunch of keys. Put your ears close to the keyboard, just one ear.. and let go of the keys picking up your hand as fast as you can..

You'll hear the .. pinggg... ringgggggg.....

Don't hit yourself in the face when you do this.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:08:41 »

I know that seem obvious, but ... :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 16:57:35 »

ROFL! Get some battlecruiser, it's better than usual keyboard, it has about 20 extra keys, hence it must be the best quality.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 22:36:47 »
do the thing i said...... LOL

Press down a bunch of keys. Put your ears close to the keyboard, just one ear.. and let go of the keys picking up your hand as fast as you can..

You'll hear the .. pinggg... ringgggggg.....

Too late.  Already got a black eye.  Thanx.  :p   :))

But seriously the 17 keys are actually just 17 macro keys disguised as a numeric keypad.  Yes I have redefined numeric keypad keys since around 1990 to do different things.  Sometimes one just needs more keys.  ;D

Offline jshotz

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 19:48:32 »
I had a black Majestouch 2 with browns here at home for 2 years (FKBN104M/EB2).  It was very pingy, but I loved it.  I loved the browns and decided recently to get another one for the office, but unfortunately Filco TenkeyFULL browns are exceedingly hard to find (what's up with that?), so I wound up buying one of the Camo boards with browns for home, and bringing the all black keyboard into the office (Camo keyboard in the office?  yeah right).  The Camo keyboard does not ping AT ALL.  The one that I have in the office pings all the time, on every key.  It's like a nonstop mechanical ringing when I'm really going at it - which I tend to do, as I'm a programmer.  I love the board, but I'm considering switching to a Das with browns for the office.  I feel bad for my coworkers - I had no idea how noisy the FKBN104M/EB2 board was until I got the Camo board.  I may look into placing the keyboard on a mouse pad, as many people here have suggested.

[Shameless plug]All of that said, if any of you ping deniers are in the market for a well-loved, pretty, pingy black Majestouch 2, shoot me a PM.  For everyone else, my apologies for the out-of-place ad.[/Shameless plug]

Offline jshotz

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 19:53:03 »
People want what they can't have.

Reds were rare - people wanted reds.  Now KeyboardCo is not importing Cherry Brown Filcos so now everyone wants them.

Ah, makes sense.  Brofist on the 312.  Southsiiiiiide.

Offline elchupanegre

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 16:00:02 »
My new Filco Full 105 with Browns arrived this week and there isn't a hint of ping anywhere on it so far, crossed fingers! Luckily nobody in the office seems to be bothered by it either, I think blues would go too far though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 16:56:28 »
My new Filco Full 105 with Browns arrived this week and there isn't a hint of ping anywhere on it so far, crossed fingers! Luckily nobody in the office seems to be bothered by it either, I think blues would go too far though.

you need to put your ear closer and find it....

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 17:21:17 »

Reds were rare - people wanted reds.  Now KeyboardCo is not importing Cherry Brown Filcos so now everyone wants them.

lol it's true, when Red was limited edition.  Everyone rushed in to buy a Filco Linear R and soon after a lot went back to Brown.  When Green is available as limited edition everyone also rushed in to buy them, and soon after a lot find it "too stiff" and went back to whatever they were using.

Luckily Brown is a pretty safe switch so it's not like they can "fall back on" something else  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:46:24 »

lol it's true, when Red was limited edition.  Everyone rushed in to buy a Filco Linear R and soon after a lot went back to Brown.  When Green is available as limited edition everyone also rushed in to buy them, and soon after a lot find it "too stiff" and went back to whatever they were using.

Luckily Brown is a pretty safe switch so it's not like they can "fall back on" something else  :P

Brown = grain of sand feeling... it's icky, period...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 21:24:16 »
I like typing on grains of sand. And clouds of boobs. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline elchupanegre

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 08:13:52 »
you need to put your ear closer and find it....
If I can't hear it without deliberately trying in a typical quiet(ish) office environment, I don't really get what the problem is. Now if I could hear it without trying, that'd be different. When I first got it I pressed all the keys down and released them quickly like others were saying makes it worse, but I couldn't hear anything. Didn't put my ear right to it though, who types like that? :)