Author Topic: [IC] xwhatsit Beamspring controller  (Read 9795 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
[IC] xwhatsit Beamspring controller
« on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:12:24 »
Hey guys and gals!  Because xwhatsit seams to be taking a well deserved break from his group buys, phosphorglow and myself are discussing doing a small group buy for xwhatsit’s beam spring controllers.  We have some beam spring keyboards that we need to modernize, and imagine some other beam spring aficionados need a controller or two as well.  We are going to limit this group buy to Beam Spring controllers, Beam Spring Displaywriter controllers, and solenoid drivers.  For more information about xwhatsit beam spring controllers and solenoid drivers, see the links below:

xwhatsit's Grand Unified IBM Capsense USB controller thread
xwhatsit's Grand Unified IBM Capsense USB controller Order
Beamspring USB controller

Please add yourself to this Google spreadsheet with the type and amount of controllers that you would like to buy.  We will keep this open until the end of April, and then open a group buy thread with complete information and start collecting payments.

We will test interest in this thread for a few weeks.  If there is enough interest, we will have the whole process planned out and calculated cost estimates before we begin collecting payments.  We will then start the group buy and have estimates for the total cost of components, shipping, assembly, and any other parts or labor.  Phosphorglow will do the assembly and testing, or you can order the unassembled controller for a reduced price and assemble it yourself.

We hope to keep this group buy small, simple, and short.  We are not doing Model F controllers for that reason.  BEAM SPRING ONLY.  Based on previous amounts from xwhatsit’s group buys, we do not anticipate more than 10-20 controllers total, plus solenoid drivers.

This would be the first group buy for both of us, but we are not newbies to buying and selling in the keyboard hobby.  Phosphorglow is a respected Model M mechanic with over 100 refurbishments and developed this awesome Model M replacement controller.  I have done a couple dozen Model M and F refurbishments myself, various other sales, and strive to be honest and reliable in all my transactions.  So we hope that you can be confident in our creditability, reliability, and trustworthiness.

Thank you for your interest and please ask if you have any questions.

That Google spreadsheet again.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:42:40 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [IC] xwhatsit Beamspring controller
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:18:07 »
The google docs link doesn't work. Also sell me a Beamsprang

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:25:09 »
The google docs link doesn't work. Also sell me a Beamsprang

Fixed the links.  I was putting quotes around them thinking it was 2004 and I was writing html language for Geocities.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 14:07:43 »
I'm just gonna bump this

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 00:46:27 »
Bumping for more buyers.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 01:20:11 »
In.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:05:59 »
Really wish I had a beamspring to throw the controller into :(

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 17:11:27 »
One more bump to perhaps garner more interest.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 23:04:06 »
Most likely in as well

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 23:06:21 »
Any idea how much for a solenoid driver board?  Just to let you guys know, the solenoid driver works with ALL of xwhatsits controllers, including the regular F replacement controllers.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 07:51:53 »
Most likely in as well

If so, please add yourself to the spreadsheet:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D4P7_FO5vO19THr3ZorZbl5aK-pFln8SumlGod3Qqss/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Any idea how much for a solenoid driver board?  Just to let you guys know, the solenoid driver works with ALL of xwhatsits controllers, including the regular F replacement controllers.

Probably somewhere in the low-to-mid twenties.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 11:00:09 »
Just wanted to update everyone that was interested in this group buy.  Ellipse can get a decent deal on pre-assembled beamspring controllers (about $50 shipped), so he is taking over that aspect of the group buy and may have sent you a PM.  We have discussed either Ellipse or orihalcon are doing the solenoid drivers for about $25-$30 shipped.  Phosphorglow and I still will handle the displaywriter controllers, because the demand is too low for a reasonable priced pre-assembled run.  Sorry I forgot to update the Geekhack thread and further details are over on Deskthority.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 05:36:50 »
Cross posted from deskthority:

Ellipse:
I will be handling the beamspring controller order. The price is confirmed at $43 each plus $5 US /$6 intl shipping per order. If you haven't already, please let me know you're OK with your requested quantity so I can lock in the price and place the order. It should take 5 weeks or so if all goes well.

The displaywriter beamspring controllers and solenoid drivers will be handled by others.

orihalcon:
I am having the Solenoid drivers made. Will post when they are available, hopefully within 2-3 weeks. I will individually test them prior to shipping to make sure that each one works. Solenoid drivers will be $25 each including USA shipping.
International shipping will be fore the actual cost, but I wouldn't imagine it being more than $6 in a padded bubble mailer.

I currently have model F xWhatsit controllers @ $35 shipped to the USA, and will do some sort of combined discount if you buy solenoid drivers along with these.

I'm also having some Model F 3178 adapters that are needed to use 3178 Model F's with the Model F xWhatsit controller. I assume many of the solenoids will come from those and it would be a shame for the rest of the keyboard to go to waste.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:14:13 »
Phosphorglow has told me that he will order and assemble the displaywriter controller boards soon.  He plans to put them available for sale on his website.  http://phosphorglow.net/

The run only is for 9, because we only have 6 or 7 people that have shown interest.  Anticipated price is $50 shipped.  We'll keep you updated.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:41:38 »
Interested in a displaywriter one!

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 16:58:44 »
The beamspring controllers have arrived!  I do have some extras not yet claimed, so please PM me if you're interested in taking one before my supply runs out.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 18:36:28 »
Just wanted to share an update on the displaywriter controllers.  Phosphorglow put in an order for 9 controllers with the PCB manufacturer and he says they should be ready to ship by the end of July.  Sorry for the delay, we're from the Midwest, the labor unions don't let us work too hard.

Here is a link to the preorder on his webpage:  http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/xwhatsit-displaywriter-beamspring-controller/

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 18:48:00 »
The beamspring controllers (the version not for displaywriters) are now shipping! 

I have a few that have not yet been claimed - PM me if you'd like any before they run out. 

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 12:30:35 »
Just wanted to share an update on the displaywriter controllers.  Phosphorglow put in an order for 9 controllers with the PCB manufacturer and he says they should be ready to ship by the end of July.  Sorry for the delay, we're from the Midwest, the labor unions don't let us work too hard.

Here is a link to the preorder on his webpage:  http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/xwhatsit-displaywriter-beamspring-controller/

Preordered!  ;D

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:28:45 »
Phosphorglow has told me that 5 display writer beam spring controllers still are available.  Some parts are in, the rest are on order, assembly is expected to begin next week:

http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/xwhatsit-displaywriter-beamspring-controller/

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:13:08 »
This wouldn't be useful for a BS-from-scratch project, as I understand it (?)

With the F62 GB coming up, I'm kinda hoping to make a buckling spring ergodox -- but someone said I'd need a special controller (a teensy, etc, can't properly identify the switch? Is there a good wiki page on how this works so I can understand why a special PCB is needed?).

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:48:05 »
This wouldn't be useful for a BS-from-scratch project, as I understand it (?)

With the F62 GB coming up, I'm kinda hoping to make a buckling spring ergodox -- but someone said I'd need a special controller (a teensy, etc, can't properly identify the switch? Is there a good wiki page on how this works so I can understand why a special PCB is needed?).

that I cannot answer.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:50:16 »
Phosphorglow has told me that 5 display writer beam spring controllers still are available.  Some parts are in, the rest are on order, assembly is expected to begin next week:

http://phosphorglow.net/store/products/xwhatsit-displaywriter-beamspring-controller/

Thanks for the update!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 21:25:43 »
Here are a couple photos of a beam spring display writer controller recently finished by phosphorglow:

106759-0
106761-1

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 15:18:09 »
Phosphorglow sent me this about a week ago:

After testing the first two controllers with neither of them working
properly I took a closer look at the bill of materials and what is
labeled on the silkscreen. There are two discrepancies, a 4.7k resistor
that is supposed to be 47k, and a 1k resistor that is supposed to be
10k. After changing those two, I now have a working controller. I
haven't been able to get in touch with xwhatsit to verify/change the BOM
in the thread yet.

Once the extra components arrive (I had to use some through hole
resistors in place of the surface mounts since that's all I had on hand)
I'll finally get them mailed out.

Sorry again for the wait and thanks for your patience.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 21:15:19 »
I still have some regular beamspring controllers (non display writer) left as a few in the group buy never got back to me.  First come, first served!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 07:21:17 »
Also wanted to note that 7 of the 9 displaywriter beam spring controllers are sold.  Phosphorglow says that he has shipped most, if not all, of them.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 18:14:40 »
All the display writer controllers have been sold.  I can't comment on the possibility of future runs, but the controllers are not easy to solder (according to phosphorglow).  Might be a better idea have them pre-assembled or find someone with a solder oven.

Also want to note that I'm typing this on the beam spring display writer that phosphorglow helped bring back to life.  Thanks a bunch.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 23:12:14 »
Not sure if I should create a new thread for this but seeing that there would obvious expertise and experience among interested persons viewing this thread this might be a good place to start.

So I received my beamspring controller for my displaywriter awhile back and just finally got around to install it.
Plugged it in, the controller is detected and installed without a hitch but when I hit keys on the keyboard, nothing is outputted on the computer's side.

Any insight on this guys or pointers on where to start troubleshooting before I get down and dirty with the board?

I'm running xwhatsits controller software and it can't seem to detect keypresses from the board. For starters the software interface doesn't display the "info" section nor does it allow me to set a threshold. Auto-calibration keeps going to 341. But I'm assuming the software is detecting the controller as it's not kicking me out whereas the controller is not connected.  :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2015, 00:21:44 by Vanilla »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 19:47:27 »
Not sure if I should create a new thread for this but seeing that there would obvious expertise and experience among interested persons viewing this thread this might be a good place to start.

So I received my beamspring controller for my displaywriter awhile back and just finally got around to install it.
Plugged it in, the controller is detected and installed without a hitch but when I hit keys on the keyboard, nothing is outputted on the computer's side.

Any insight on this guys or pointers on where to start troubleshooting before I get down and dirty with the board?

I'm running xwhatsits controller software and it can't seem to detect keypresses from the board. For starters the software interface doesn't display the "info" section nor does it allow me to set a threshold. Auto-calibration keeps going to 341. But I'm assuming the software is detecting the controller as it's not kicking me out whereas the controller is not connected.  :(

I would contact phosphorglow or xwhatsit about this issue.  We can chat more about the details through PM.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 16:07:07 »
Vanilla,
Two thoughts: first, have you read through everything in the DT thread? It's hard to parse at times over at off-topic-thority, but there's a ton of info there for troubleshooting. Second, is the connector 100% dead-on aligned? I remember hearing that pad alignment to the board is a really picky part of installation.

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 18:15:50 »
Vanilla,
Two thoughts: first, have you read through everything in the DT thread? It's hard to parse at times over at off-topic-thority, but there's a ton of info there for troubleshooting. Second, is the connector 100% dead-on aligned? I remember hearing that pad alignment to the board is a really picky part of installation.

That's what I initially thought it was. I took it all apart and even deep cleaned the contacts which were a tad tarnished from time initially without luck. Everything hardware related was perfect.

Nevertheless, it was a false alarm guys! Phosphorglow/ Max helped me solve it in no time flat.

Turned out I had a software issue with the capsense utility where I was not able to manually set the sensitivity threshold numerically and autocalibrate was not working for me. Max gave me the tip of trying the arrow buttons in the setting field. Low and behold those worked; turned out the solution was right in front of me.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 22:46:07 »
Any extras?  ;D

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 08:56:18 »
Yes I have some extras of the regular, non displaywriter version. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 18:35:31 by Ellipse »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:28:24 »
Yes I have some extras of the regular, non beamspring version.

Rats. I was looking for a beamsprang.

At least I've got your F77 to look forward to!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 18:11:51 »
Yes I have some extras of the regular, non beamspring version.

What version is that?  Model F?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 18:48:59 »
Sorry my mistake

Yes I have some extras of the regular, non displaywriter beamspring controllers.