Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 580805 times)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL With b.Mira PCB
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:10:42 »
Just realised the other day picking winkeyless pcb that they are doing ISO too.
This GB is still ANSI only ?
To simplify the plate design,  yes.  Sorry to disappoint :rolleyes:
Out of curiosity, if you release the design of the plate, couldn't someone modify and cut out an ansi plate (while keeping the same outline and mounting holes), AND it still should fit within the top cover?

If the PCB supports it then yeah :p

Offline fi0x

« Reply #451 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 05:31:51 »
Gotta make at least one #gold render too. :P

4k, 100+ passes as well.
Show Image

My Father in Heaven, that gold case looks absolutely amazing.

I love the colour scheme in this render too. Reminds me of a matte black Toyota Supra with gold rims or a gunmetal grey body to gold rims colour scheme.
More
103047-0

Would anodized sandblasted aluminum (sandblasted then anodized) be available? Considering how late I'm asking, I'm expecting a 'No' but never hurts to ask. XD

Another 4k Render @ 100 passes
Show Image

Dem renders...
More

Amazing work Zeal

Hey Doc, how will this GB run? Do you have your own website to handle orders & checkouts or will you be using a 3rd party?

Checkout will most likely go through my site (in order to secure # positions). I'll be setting up the options once we get quotes in. The number you get will not be disclosed until it arrives at your doorstep.
That would be zealpc.net correct?

Facts about the potential group buy:
The Mira will be a limited run of 100 boards (hopefully with the unique number engraved). The first 57 boards that are reserved (after the number of years NASA has been operating) will come with gold stabs from ZealPC! The remaining orders will receive the same items but standard stabilizers. More from ZealPC as he unveils his secret item (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69590.0) expect this awesome item to be a part of the buy as well. The number of the board will be assigned in the order they are reserved, as a result, some sort of down payment will likely be required upon ordering. Ordering will start as soon as the Group Buy is posted at a preset date and time.

You just gave me sweet dreams sir, very sweet dreams of epic proportions.

Count me in. +1 For the gold case. I will definitely be buying one for sure.

Keep up the Good Work! Were almost there!
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 05:45:48 by fi0x »
~I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶(̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶)̶ I am a keyboard geek~

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #452 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 08:59:08 »
The black and gold remind me of this car:

The gold iterations of this case look so good.

Has there been any talks about people who order two?  Is it unfair to give them two slots in the first 57?  I ask specifically because, depending on price, I'd be so down for a black case/gold plate and separate nasa blue orders.  If those two options are available I wouldn't really mind letting the black case get gold stabs and the nasa blue get silver stabs since it'll match the color scheme better, imo.  Just a passing thought.  What do you guys think?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #453 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 14:34:46 »
Maybe 3love can just buy all 100 of them and save everyone the hassle of picking out colors!

Offline fmendonca

« Reply #454 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 16:35:34 »
I'm very interested in one, this board looks really good!

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #455 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 23:36:34 »
very interested in a blue one

Offline ide_

« Reply #456 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 07:53:19 »
nice keyboard
waiting for group buy  :)

Offline professorgc3

« Reply #458 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 08:07:21 »
Wow - this looks super cool. Definitely interested

KBP v60           Cherry G80-11900     Kensington Slimblade

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #459 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 12:53:02 »

+1 add me to the list please :)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #460 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 13:30:26 »
Very excited for this thanks Dr Hubble
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline E3E

« Reply #461 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 18:50:05 »
Wow, that NASA blue looks really nice. So classy. I have to say, an all-American custom is kind of a nice thing to see, what with the prestigious Korean customs seeming to dominate all over! Not to say that they aren't worthy, but it's nice to see more breadth in the spectrum. :3

Also, are spots for certain numbers actually able to be reserved? I'd imagine them being strictly sequential for serializing, but I'm curious.

EDIT: I just realized. If I buy this, it's pretty much essential that I'll have to find a symbiosis set from someone! Which set would fit better both thematically and visually? Ahh fffff!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2015, 05:57:17 by E3E »

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #462 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 07:27:03 »
much interested =D
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 09:10:41 »
Wow, that NASA blue looks really nice. So classy. I have to say, an all-American custom is kind of a nice thing to see, what with the prestigious Korean customs seeming to dominate all over! Not to say that they aren't worthy, but it's nice to see more breadth in the spectrum. :3

Also, are spots for certain numbers actually able to be reserved? I'd imagine them being strictly sequential for serializing, but I'm curious.

EDIT: I just realized. If I buy this, it's pretty much essential that I'll have to find a symbiosis set from someone! Which set would fit better both thematically and visually? Ahh fffff!

maybe Deep Space?

Offline CornCha0s

« Reply #464 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 10:35:37 »
Definitely interested in buying one.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 11:00:17 »
Totally interested in one with a gun metal grey colour.

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 17:27:28 »
That teal looks fantastic.  I really want one of these whenever it happens so I can have a separate board for my LAN party build.  But since I'm going with a white with black accents for the build the plain might be more what I'm going for.  Or the gunmetal...  I don't know.  I just know that I will need to fortify my wallet so when it does drop I'll be ready.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #467 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 11:32:31 »
whats up, Doc?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 11:45:13 »
Looks really nice. I would be in depending on the price.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #469 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 16:29:53 »
Interested in this.

Question: this is probably blasphemous but it wouldn't be possible to get the case without the logo?

Also, is it possible to build this as winkeyless: 1,5x1x1,5x-7x-1,5x-1x-1,5x ?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #470 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 09:58:29 »
I'm definitely in for this.  I just need a time of when it's happening.  Price isn't too worrying for me at this point.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline arcvile

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #471 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 08:06:20 »
Anything note worthy happen with this? I'm so interested!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #472 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 21:25:07 »
Maybe July 14th will be the day...

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #473 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 21:38:17 »

I appreciate the reference  :))

UPDATE TIME!

I am working closely with a couple other users to find a reliable CNC company to handle machining for Mira.

Trust me when I say that I am just as anxious as you to get this buy off the ground! That said, I want to make sure that the choosen shop can be responsible with the orders and deliver a product that is to my expectations as well as the expectations of you guys! I also want to make sure that the Mira has an accessible price so that everyone with interest can buy one!

Sorry for the delays

P.S. THE HYPE TRAIN WILL NEVER STOP  :p

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #474 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 21:55:04 »
I want to make sure that the choosen shop can be responsible with the orders and deliver a product that is to my expectations as well as the expectations of you guys!

For those without experience who are curious, this is harder than it sounds. There aren't very many milling shops set up to deliver finished goods (milled, deburred, bead blasted/polished, anodized). This is because all those finishing steps either require a lot of manual work or fancy robotic setups.

Cutting metal is easy. Keeping it scratch-free and beautiful throughout the finishing process is the hard part.

Check out this Macbook "how it's made" video for a glimpse into what's involved.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Data

« Reply #475 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 10:14:42 »

UPDATE TIME!

I am working closely with a couple other users to find a reliable CNC company to handle machining for Mira.

Trust me when I say that I am just as anxious as you to get this buy off the ground! That said, I want to make sure that the choosen shop can be responsible with the orders and deliver a product that is to my expectations as well as the expectations of you guys! I also want to make sure that the Mira has an accessible price so that everyone with interest can buy one!

Sorry for the delays

http://www.metalmaster.biz/

I happen to know the owner of this full service machine shop.  If you don't mind working with a shop in Florida I can get you some quotes and inquire about their ability to do finish work.  I can't promise any discounts but I know he would give me a fair price for the work.  Let me know.

Offline Metr0

• HHKB or nuttin
« Reply #476 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 17:06:36 »
Count me in for one, I just did my first switch swap to Gateron browns today and I feel like a kid on Christmas day  :p Really want to build my own from scratch now!
[WTB] BLANK PINK HHKB ARROW CLUSTER

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #477 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 16:44:25 »

UPDATE TIME!

Sorry for the delays

http://www.metalmaster.biz/

I happen to know the owner of this full service machine shop.  If you don't mind working with a shop in Florida I can get you some quotes and inquire about their ability to do finish work.  I can't promise any discounts but I know he would give me a fair price for the work.  Let me know.

I definitely will let you know if my other sources fall through :thumb:

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Pre-orders beginning 7/21/15)
« Reply #478 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:28:44 »
Everyone check the OP for a big update!

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #480 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:49:48 »
Does the chosen number need to be in {x|0 <= X <= 57}?

Offline filphil

« Reply #481 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:51:28 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #482 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:53:49 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys
$40 to put your name on the list, not to buy the board (if I understood it right).

Offline filphil

« Reply #483 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:56:03 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys
$40 to put your name on the list, not to buy the board (if I understood it right).

Yep I got that.  For such an awesome board I think that's a reasonable down payment. 

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #484 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:57:41 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys

Right  :)) It's $40 towards your purchase, meaning your just putting money down. We expect the total cost of the board to be in the $350-$400 which is to be expected of a custom made in America. The pre order is non refundable, but you have no obligation to purchase the board if the full price is prohibitively expensive.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #485 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:00:35 »
Is that $400 with the switches and assembly?
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline filphil

« Reply #486 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:01:36 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys

Right  :)) It's $40 towards your purchase, meaning your just putting money down. We expect the total cost of the board to be in the $350-$400 which is to be expected of a custom made in America. The pre order is non refundable, but you have no obligation to purchase the board if the full price is prohibitively expensive.

Hubble - Are there any precautions against people who wish to order more than 1?  Ideally I'd like to pick up one for my brother and sister.  Since you posted an estimated end price(which I think is a good price) do you have an idea on assembly pricing?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:05:45 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys

Hubble - Are there any precautions against people who wish to order more than 1?  Ideally I'd like to pick up one for my brother and sister.  Since you posted an estimated end price(which I think is a good price) do you have an idea on assembly pricing?

To keep it fair, I think I should prohibit it to 1 pre order within the first 57 units. I will include a spot for you to declare how many units you intend on buying however you can only give number preference within the first 57 for one of them. Ill think this over and get back with an update in the future.

The assembly costs arent finalized since I will likely be splitting the work with theChemist. That said, expect it to be no more than $50 for full assembly (excluding the cost of parts).

Is that $400 with the switches and assembly?

no, thats  the cost of the Case and PCB, nobody is making a ton of money of this and we will be giving you a price very close to our costs from the CNC shop.

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:08:05 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline filphil

« Reply #488 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:08:57 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys

To keep it fair, I think I should prohibit it to 1 pre order within the first 57 units. I will include a spot for you to declare how many units you intend on buying however you can only give number preference within the first 57 for one of them. Ill think this over and get back with an update in the future.

The assembly costs arent finalized since I will likely be splitting the work with theChemist. That said, expect it to be no more than $50 for full assembly (excluding the cost of parts).

That's a fair process.  No worries about that. 

Can't wait for this and am glad that it looks like we're making huge progress towards a prototype.

Offline E3E

« Reply #489 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:20:46 »
Do we know what colors will be available for the Mira for sure yet? I'm very interested in pre-ordering, but I'm wondering if the blue color variation will be available or not.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:24:17 »
Only $40?

Can't wait hubble!

The race is on boys

Can I be in your family?  :-*

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:25:11 »
Question about the PCB -- are diodes and resistors through hole or surface mount?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:26:50 »
Do we know what colors will be available for the Mira for sure yet? I'm very interested in pre-ordering, but I'm wondering if the blue color variation will be available or not.

Colors are actually a very important question. If the right colors aren't offered it might not be worth it to join.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:27:02 »

Colors are not finalized however seeing how popular the teal and "sifo blue" color ways are there's a strong chance they will be offered. With the buy we will offer instructions on getting your own custom color regardless of the ones offered.

Colors are actually a very important question. If the right colors aren't offered it might not be worth it to join.

True. You can be sure that common colors such as dark grey or silver will be offered along with the more exotic ones. Perhaps if your not willing to settle on one of Those you should not consider pre ordering. That said, for $40 it's not a huge risk to take, and as mentioned we will be trying to fulfill as many color possibilities as possible as well as making connections between individuals and small run anodizing shops easy so that if you want yours a custom color it will be plain and simple!
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:49:29 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #494 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:31:03 »
Question about the PCB -- are diodes and resistors through hole or surface mount?
I believe the diodes can be either however the resistors are surface mounted for sure.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:55:55 »
Are we going to be able to see an actual prototype before we commit?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:59:10 »

Before you commit to the full purchase, absolutely! The pre order is to help pay for the prototype so that everyone is confident they know what they're paying for!

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #497 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:02:26 »

Before you commit to the full purchase, absolutely! The pre order is to help pay for the prototype so that everyone is confident they know what they're paying for!

I hope it is a nice prototype then because that's a lot of money just for a prototype. I'm sure it would be easy enough to transfer the $40 non refundable deposit to someone else though just in case.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #498 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:09:53 »

I hope it is a nice prototype then because that's a lot of money just for a prototype. I'm sure it would be easy enough to transfer the $40 non refundable deposit to someone else though just in case.

Yeah you would be surprised how much a prototype costs with American manufacturers. I also need to pay for a PCB prototype. The pre order deposit can be transferable though as you said!
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:12:38 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #499 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:14:08 »
Those renderings are beautiful.