Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 581899 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GROUP BUY STARTING SOON)
« Reply #1650 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:15:03 »
Thank you for your hard work, frostytoast and ninjadoc.  I have no expertise in getting keyboard parts made, but hopefully you can get more GH support as the project moves along.  Maybe JD can offer some advice, *wink* :) 

I think one of the problems with getting the case parts made abroad would be lack of quality control checks between manufacturing steps on the part of group buy organizers.  Unless one of the organizers happens to live in the country of manufacture and is able to visit the shops and monitor progress.  Otherwise I personally don't see a problem with doing at least part of the manufacturing abroad.   I just remember that the US-made Skeldon case was Very expensive, and it was a simple wedge design, not as intricate as Mira.  Lower number of orders though, if I remember correctly, so that might have been why.

Yeah it would be great if we could visit shops ourselves, but it would be difficult since ninjadoc lives in an expensive country; and, well, my country (Canada) doesn't have anything (plus shipping from here would be insane)

The recent quotes we have are looking good and the 100 board count definitely helps a ton.
There is an incredibly huge drop in cost as you get more and more orders so we can definitely get a lot lower than the Skeldon; even with a complex design.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1651 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:16:02 »
Hubble being gone doesn't change the fact that this will happen.

Ah, I thought this made a big difference.

Nah, the most important thing he had would be the CAD files which Hubble has sent us.
The money is also important, but we will keep the costs down since we are looking to make zero profit from this.
Just keep our fingers crossed that whatever mistakes we make won't cost us an arm and a leg.

Just to clarify, he designed, prototyped and then gave the files for you to look at different shops?

Yup pretty much. We got the prototypes, got excited, got the notsoexciting quotes, and then had to back off from that shop.
Since Hubble got occupied with other things during that time span we pretty much got carte blanche to continue this project.
Really, the only thing hindering us aside from slow communication with shops is the fact that we can't modify the OP.

Can't edit it due to not having a CAD designer or that the file is unmoddable?

Sounds good though, my bad for taking him disappearing the wrong way. Thanks for your work.

No we can modify the CAD file if we wanted.
The part that we can't edit is the GH thread :))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1652 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:17:02 »
P.S.: regarding the inability to modify the OP, please feel free to request any changes added to the OP, I'll be happy to help.  Pretty sure the thread title needs the "group buy starting soon" part removed, for example.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1653 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:21:03 »
P.S.: regarding the inability to modify the OP, please feel free to request any changes added to the OP, I'll be happy to help.  Pretty sure the thread title needs the "group buy starting soon" part removed, for example.

I was going to say I'm sure the mods can help, as it's obvious what's happened here.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1654 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:24:33 »
Thanks a bunch guys!
I'll talk with ninjadoc and decide how to change the OP to reflect the current status of the GB.

Meanwhile, it is almost 1:30am here and I have classes tomorrow morning. Goodnight!

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1655 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:36:27 »
I'll admit the inner weight is passable for me.  Idk how true it is but I could imagine having to make cuts through the bottom of the case with the mira logo and then a separate weight to fill that logo costs a pretty penny. 
Sure numbers, designer and contributor recognition, and that wow factor are nice and all but I'd rather have a geekhack community board more than anything of those offerings. 

On the topic of US made board I thought the pcb was from winkeyless in the first place?

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1656 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:45:00 »
Thank you for your hard work, frostytoast and ninjadoc.  I have no expertise in getting keyboard parts made, but hopefully you can get more GH support as the project moves along.  Maybe JD can offer some advice, *wink* :) 

I think one of the problems with getting the case parts made abroad would be lack of quality control checks between manufacturing steps on the part of group buy organizers.  Unless one of the organizers happens to live in the country of manufacture and is able to visit the shops and monitor progress.  Otherwise I personally don't see a problem with doing at least part of the manufacturing abroad.   I just remember that the US-made Skeldon case was Very expensive, and it was a simple wedge design, not as intricate as Mira.  Lower number of orders though, if I remember correctly, so that might have been why.

Yeah it would be great if we could visit shops ourselves, but it would be difficult since ninjadoc lives in an expensive country; and, well, my country (Canada) doesn't have anything (plus shipping from here would be insane)

The machinist I utilize is Vancouver based, and they do excellent work. See examples:

http://www.liquid-ion.com/img/ourgoal.jpg

http://www.liquid-ion.com/img/pd_productshot_1.jpg

I'm glad this project won't be slowed down by Hubble leaving. That's awesome to hear.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:51:20 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1657 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:49:23 »
Thanks Frosty - it is useful to know that this will happen even without Hubble. I was starting to consider other custom options, but I am willing to wait this out because I think its an awesome project.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1658 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:58:20 »
This is awesome to hear ninjadoc and frostytoast  :cool:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1659 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 06:30:14 »
Thank you frostytoast and ninjadoc for reviving my faith in this project
If I can help in anyway please let me know

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1660 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 08:30:45 »
Yeah, PM any mod online for OP changes.  :thumb:  Not ideal, but we will help however we can.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1661 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 08:47:11 »
Hubble being gone doesn't change the fact that this will happen.

Ah, I thought this made a big difference.

Nah, the most important thing he had would be the CAD files which Hubble has sent us.
The money is also important, but we will keep the costs down since we are looking to make zero profit from this.
Just keep our fingers crossed that whatever mistakes we make won't cost us an arm and a leg.

Just to clarify, he designed, prototyped and then gave the files for you to look at different shops?

Yup pretty much. We got the prototypes, got excited, got the notsoexciting quotes, and then had to back off from that shop.
Since Hubble got occupied with other things during that time span we pretty much got carte blanche to continue this project.
Really, the only thing hindering us aside from slow communication with shops is the fact that we can't modify the OP.

Can't edit it due to not having a CAD designer or that the file is unmoddable?

Sounds good though, my bad for taking him disappearing the wrong way. Thanks for your work.

He wasn't talking about being unable to update the CAD files. He meant not being able to update the original post on the thread.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1662 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 12:10:09 »
Need to start asking for ages and 5 year plans before starting group buys. The number of "something came up" bull**** excuses is getting ridiculous.

hell, or at least keep people updated. it's not that hard at all

at least frosty and ninja are doing a good job of that now
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1663 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 12:53:49 »
Need to start asking for ages and 5 year plans before starting group buys. The number of "something came up" bull**** excuses is getting ridiculous.

Even if he tells us he can't do it, it's fine. We already knew the $40 was non-refundable; won't be hard for Hubbs to tell us that he just has too much on his plate and will pass the project on. No need to disappear.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #1664 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:11:01 »
Is this Group Buy still open?  What is the $40 for?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1665 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:20:51 »
Is this Group Buy still open?  What is the $40 for?

This is an interest check. The $40 was a non-refundable pre-order to help fund the prototype. If the buy happens, the $40 goes toward your purchase (at least that's how it was presented).

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1666 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:24:20 »

Even if he tells us he can't do it, it's fine. We already knew the $40 was non-refundable; won't be hard for Hubbs to tell us that he just has too much on his plate and will pass the project on. No need to disappear.

Yeah, at this point he needs to just man up and tell it as it is.

If he cant finish it, fine. If he is passing it off to Ninja or Frosty (should they want to attempt to finish this) even better.

But just leaving it in a state of limbo is not cool. Doesn't take much time at all to give an update, and people that already invested their money in this deserve something in return.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1667 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:33:42 »

If he cant finish it, fine. If he is passing it off to Ninja or Frosty (should they want to attempt to finish this) even better.

But just leaving it in a state of limbo is not cool. Doesn't take much time at all to give an update, and people that already invested their money in this deserve something in return.

Isn't notice from ninja and Frosty that they are taking it over sufficient in this regard? Sure, for the principle of "owning up to it" I agree with you, but we all know what's going on here.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1668 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:41:17 »

Isn't notice from ninja and Frosty that they are taking it over sufficient in this regard? Sure, for the principle of "owning up to it" I agree with you, but we all know what's going on here.

Thankfully this is progressing and we all know what's happening, but that's thanks to other people who were involved. If not, and Hubbs continued to stay quiet, we all would've been in the dark still.
That, and I feel like people who go MIA eventually leave the community. Hubbs seemed like he really liked keyboards, so I'm afraid this situation will deter him from being active. If he communicated the complications and stated he decided to pass on the project, he could still be quite the active member.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1669 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:42:56 »
Thankfully this is progressing and we all know what's happening, but that's thanks to other people who were involved. If not, and Hubbs continued to stay quiet, we all would've been in the dark still.
That, and I feel like people who go MIA eventually leave the community. Hubbs seemed like he really liked keyboards, so I'm afraid this situation will deter him from being active. If he communicated the complications and stated he decided to pass on the project, he could still be quite the active member.

There's no doubt that he should have done that, but I interpreted LSB's comment to imply that he thinks Hubble should still do so, even given the recent updates - that just seems silly to me.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1670 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:02:57 »
Yeah, let's just get this going again.  I don't have any bad feelings towards Hubble.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1671 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 09:21:38 »

There's no doubt that he should have done that, but I interpreted LSB's comment to imply that he thinks Hubble should still do so, even given the recent updates - that just seems silly to me.
I was more just saying it for his benefit. He just says what's up be it school needs to be first, too expensive to make, etc, and move on. Nobody can blame a person for that! Owning up to what is going on would be very accepted in think, much more so than just disappearing entirely. And yeah, what frosty and ninja are doing is fantastic, but an official blessing to finish/continue the project would be nice, just to acknowledge all of the work they have put into it.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #1672 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 09:51:47 »
And yeah, what frosty and ninja are doing is fantastic, but an official blessing to finish/continue the project would be nice, just to acknowledge all of the work they have put into it.

I had a conversation with DrHubble via text yesterday and have asked him to do exactly that. Hopefully he will post something soon.
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #1673 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:02:37 »
Okay guys. Super sorry to keep you waiting!

Here's my update. I am for the most part disconnected from the project for now, as you have probably noticed. This doesn't mean I've given up or that this will never happen, what it means is that it's not fair for me to claim I'm actively involved when I can't be and im not. It's my understanding that FrostyToast and Ninjadoc have continued progress on this and I encourage them to continue to update you on their progress. The best way to reach me is to contact Ninjadoc (or abjr who has been very nice about reminding me to update you guys) who has my personal info and can relay information.

It's my current understanding that we are on the search for a better shop, or if it's necessary a connection to Korea (trust me we don't want that to happen any more than you do) but it may be the only way to get it to work. I have also stopped issuing invoices for pre orders until a new shop is found since the funding for the prototype was already successful. I hope than once we find the right direction for the project we can open them back up.

I will update the title to recognize the change in the progress and will contact moderators to change ownership of the OP.

Sorry again guys for these slowdowns, it pains me too. Miss you guys :-*

Also, I would just like to agkowledge how awesome frosty and ninja have been to support this. You guys are great!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:10:21 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1674 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 19:04:02 »
Thanks for the update :thumb:

Offline KaminKevCrew

Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #1675 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 20:39:41 »
Thanks for the update! Glad you haven't disappeared, and glad you're doing alright!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1676 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:00:04 »
Thanks for the update!!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1677 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:03:34 »
It's my current understanding that we are on the search for a better shop, or if it's necessary a connection to Korea (trust me we don't want that to happen any more than you do) but it may be the only way to get it to work.

Trust me, I don't think many people care whether it's made here or abroad.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline en7ropy

« Reply #1678 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:12:00 »
It's my current understanding that we are on the search for a better shop, or if it's necessary a connection to Korea (trust me we don't want that to happen any more than you do) but it may be the only way to get it to work.

Agreed.  I care way more about price.  I'd rather save $100+ and have it made overseas.  What was that quote for US manufacturer a few pages back?  It was like $700.

Personally, I prefer the board to be <$400.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1679 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:31:12 »

Agreed.  I care way more about price.  I'd rather save $100+ and have it made overseas.  What was that quote for US manufacturer a few pages back?  It was like $700.

Personally, I prefer the board to be <$400.

Agreeded.

It was neat that it would be made here in the States, and understandably a bit more expensive than a normal custom. However, it was never a dealbreaker for me if the board wasn't made here. I very much like the design and planned on getting a black from the get-go.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1680 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:05:24 »
I've recommended my machinist both in PM and several posts above. They're based in Vancouver, do excellent work, and I think they charge a reasonable price.

If a machinist is really the limiting factor here, contact them, and at least get a quote.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1681 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:21:20 »
I've recommended my machinist both in PM and several posts above. They're based in Vancouver, do excellent work, and I think they charge a reasonable price.

If a machinist is really the limiting factor here, contact them, and at least get a quote.
Please do :)

Canada is still part of America (the continent)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1682 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:22:23 »
Our economy is so **** we do need the business.
As a bonus maybe our **** dollar will lower the prices further xD

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #1683 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:06:14 »

And the Mira gets made. Win-win-win?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1684 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 01:16:42 »

The currency factors alone are a good enough reason to get this made outside the US

The strong dollar means that there are cheaper alternatives in other markets and that more international folk will be able to get in

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #1685 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:38:20 »
I want this board and would most certainly want this board to be 'All American' but I just couldn't afford it with the previously seen quotes. Hope we can find something suitable to satisfy most everyone.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline flopix

• Laur
« Reply #1686 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 02:39:09 »
If you guys plan to update the OP, can you please link to the most recent list with users/numbers? Current link dates to 08/15 and quite some things have happened since :)

Cheers,

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1687 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 15:56:48 »
If you guys plan to update the OP, can you please link to the most recent list with users/numbers? Current link dates to 08/15 and quite some things have happened since :)

Cheers,

Here's the spreadsheet to follow.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pzd7Zo5xQsonnvf7k5IL3_7KPkBGX6CVzUBtos9Jw6M/edit#gid=0
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1688 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:08:53 »

The machinist I utilize is Vancouver based, and they do excellent work. See examples:

http://www.liquid-ion.com/img/ourgoal.jpg

http://www.liquid-ion.com/img/pd_productshot_1.jpg

I'm glad this project won't be slowed down by Hubble leaving. That's awesome to hear.

Interesting work. The largest issue I would see is shipping to and from Canada is almost as costly as to Korea. That said, I'm waiting on my quote from another part of the world now.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1689 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:11:25 »

Cheers,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pzd7Zo5xQsonnvf7k5IL3_7KPkBGX6CVzUBtos9Jw6M/edit#gid=0

I appreciate you making this spreadsheet available but I must admit to finding it interesting that I've never seen it. Obviously I downloaded a copy.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1690 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:15:12 »

Cheers,

I appreciate you making this spreadsheet available but I must admit to finding it interesting that I've never seen it. Obviously I downloaded a copy.
I thought that this spreadsheet had been posted at some point previously within this thread.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1691 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:16:56 »

Cheers,

I thought that this spreadsheet had been posted at some point previously within this thread.

I know Frosty straightened out this list but I've not seen the list he has worked on.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1692 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:17:25 »

Cheers,

I know Frosty straightened out this list but I've not seen the list he has worked on.
Ah :) anyway, I'm just glad I'm on it :)

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1693 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:22:21 »
I'm currently waiting on a shop to finish some work and have them tell me if they are willing to bid on making the Mira.

I'm going to try to type up the issues in the design of the Mira that contribute to the cost and address what Frosty and I are trying to do to diminish them. I'm going to do that offline in the next two days so I can think about what I'm saying and not do it on the fly.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1694 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:30:41 »
I'll admit that the OP does need to change a lot.
The fact that people haven't seen the spreadsheet (even ninjadoc  :-[ ) is a clear example of that.
Once we really kick it off with the next major update we'll do an overhaul of the OP.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1695 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 16:42:04 »

Cheers,

wanna trade numbers?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1696 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 17:04:58 »
I'll admit that the OP does need to change a lot.
The fact that people haven't seen the spreadsheet (even ninjadoc  :-[ ) is a clear example of that.
Once we really kick it off with the next major update we'll do an overhaul of the OP.

You probably know this, but you can PM a mod for OP changes.  :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1697 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 18:09:06 »

Cheers,

wanna trade numbers?

Sure! I assume 31 has more value to you than me so I don't mind at all. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline flopix

• Laur
« Reply #1698 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 03:22:01 »

Cheers,

Thank thee!

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1699 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 14:49:44 »
Any updates on the issues you were looking into Ninjadoc?