Author Topic: Galaxy Class: an official Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan from Roddenberry.com  (Read 48407 times)

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: Galaxy Class: an official Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan from Roddenberry.com
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 17:19:28 »
Just a quick note to say that there are only 4 days left. Happily, we've more than doubled the MOQ.

For whatever it's worth: this is extremely likely to be the last time this set is ever produced, so if Galaxy Class is something you were planning on ever wanting, please join now or forever hold your peace.  :p

Thank you for seeing this through and getting it officially licensed! I'm very excited to get this set!
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 11:15:53 »
Just a quick note to say that there are only 4 days left. Happily, we've more than doubled the MOQ.

For whatever it's worth: this is extremely likely to be the last time this set is ever produced, so if Galaxy Class is something you were planning on ever wanting, please join now or forever hold your peace.  :p

Thank you for seeing this through and getting it officially licensed! I'm very excited to get this set!

My great pleasure, and thanks for helping to make it happen. I still kind of can't quite believe this is happening, but very much glad it is. The perfect intersection of my two keenest hobbies!  :D

Offline norbauer

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 12:48:25 »
Final day, final hours.  Just sayin' :)

Current status:

Ends tonight midnight PST.

Thanks again everyone for your support! Can't wait to get these orders off to the various respective factories and get manufacturing underway!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 12:56:37 »
Thanks for the email reminder. I had the tab open in my browser but forgot about it. Got my artisan order in!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 12:58:16 »
Thanks for the email reminder. I had the tab open in my browser but forgot about it. Got my artisan order in!

No worries. I hate to bug people twice, but I forget stuff in my own sea of browser tabs all the time myself, so I know sometimes a nudge is required for those who fully intended to participate. I also know because in past GBs I always hear from people the day after who just missed it and have to scramble to figure out how to squeeze them in. ;)

Offline noroadsleft

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 15:43:13 »

Order page says it ends at 9:57 PM PST (which is a rather strange time IMO), rather than midnight. I'd suggest not waiting until the 11th hour to get in.

Also, I'm sure my heart's gonna break that I can't afford to get Core, Numpad and the artisan all at once. :( Think I'm gonna go for Core only and call it a day.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 15:58:32 »

Order page says it ends at 9:57 PM PST (which is a rather strange time IMO), rather than midnight. I'd suggest not waiting until the 11th hour to get in.

Also, I'm sure my heart's gonna break that I can't afford to get Core, Numpad and the artisan all at once. :( Think I'm gonna go for Core only and call it a day.

Oh, good point. Let me check on that. I think it's supposed to be midnight.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 17:44:39 »
OK, it actually ends at midnight now—or, rather, one minute before. ;)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 18:10:23 »
man I wish I wasn't poor...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline norbauer

Offline AuthenticDanger

F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 21:15:51 »
****ing dammit, i just bought it, rip wallet

yet, it seemed like the logical decision
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline norbauer

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 21:35:49 »

Offline noroadsleft

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 00:34:03 »
... and I couldn't pass on the artisan.

RIP my wallet 2015-2017.

At least this will be one of my Holy Grail keysets checked off the list.  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 12:28:22 »
Thanks again so much everybody. The GB has ended and I'll start working today with Roddenberry to place the orders with all the various vendors. Unfortunately, the lead time from Signature Plastics is very long these days, but I'm confident it'll be worth the wait. :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:14:06 »
Thanks again so much everybody. The GB has ended and I'll start working today with Roddenberry to place the orders with all the various vendors. Unfortunately, the lead time from Signature Plastics is very long these days, but I'm confident it'll be worth the wait. :)

DSA lead times were 12 weeks last I heard, has it gone up?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline norbauer

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:25:01 »

Yes, I think it was 16+ weeks, and that was explicitly just an estimate; they weren’t willing to commit to any specific timeline.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 13:29:43 »

Yes, I think it was 16+ weeks, and that was explicitly just an estimate; they weren’t willing to commit to any specific timeline.

Sounds like SP.

Thanks Norb.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline noroadsleft

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 15:17:10 »
I'll start working today with Roddenberry to place the orders with all the various vendors.

Is this why I haven't seen the money come out of any of my accounts? I paid through my PayPal but all my linked accounts are still the same. :confused: I'd hate to miss out on this because of some PayPal glitch. I have receipts from PayPal and Roddenberry Shop, but I've seen no movement of funds and it's worrying me.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 15:30:28 »
I'll start working today with Roddenberry to place the orders with all the various vendors.

Is this why I haven't seen the money come out of any of my accounts? I paid through my PayPal but all my linked accounts are still the same. :confused: I'd hate to miss out on this because of some PayPal glitch. I have receipts from PayPal and Roddenberry Shop, but I've seen no movement of funds and it's worrying me.

I would email them about this. I was charged (and money moved) day 1; they also say:

Minimum Order Quantity is 150. If 150 pre-orders aren’t received by the close of the pre-order period, no keysets will be produced and all orders will be refunded.

They wouldn't need to refund if people weren't charged.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 15:42:29 »

I would email them about this. I was charged (and money moved) day 1; they also say:

Minimum Order Quantity is 150. If 150 pre-orders aren’t received by the close of the pre-order period, no keysets will be produced and all orders will be refunded.

I agree. I would email them through their contact page.

Offline noroadsleft

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 16:23:58 »
Just emailed Roddenberry and they resent my email confirmation. Went back through my PayPal history and apparently my last two PayPal transactions took one day and two days, respectively, to clear. Never realized before. Strange, although one was a /r/mechmarket trade and the other was a SwitchMod order, so maybe that's normal. I guess I'll keep checking over the next couple days.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited to add:

That's just it, there wasn't a charge and then a refund; there just weren't any charges anywhere at all.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 December 2017, 16:28:08 by noroadsleft »

Offline Briezion

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 22:31:26 »
Alrighty, So I'm just about 3 weeks old into this hobby and was previously elated to have just today discovered this kap set, and am now saddened by the fact that I seemingly am unable to acquire it (may have shed a literal tear Q-Q).

Was this confirmed the last time it will be sold? Am I doomed to wander the continuum of the secondary market and hope for the best? Will I ever be able to type with the badassery of Worf?!

But seriously, I am so enamored with this set, I do hope they run it again, but I will most definitely acquire this set.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 22:33:12 »
Alrighty, So I'm just about 3 weeks old into this hobby and was previously elated to have just today discovered this kap set, and am now saddened by the fact that I seemingly am unable to acquire it (may have shed a literal tear Q-Q).

Was this confirmed the last time it will be sold? Am I doomed to wander the continuum of the secondary market and hope for the best? Will I ever be able to type with the badassery of Worf?!

But seriously, I am so enamored with this set, I do hope they run it again, but I will most definitely acquire this set.

You could try emailing them to see if they could squeeze you in. I believe they are ordering a few extras.

https://shop.roddenberry.com/pages/contact

Offline Briezion

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 00:02:39 »

You could try emailing them to see if they could squeeze you in. I believe they are ordering a few extras.

https://shop.roddenberry.com/pages/contact

Thank you! I can only hope they have room! Finding so many kap sets I adore, and it's killing me not to be able to just -get- them.

I also can't say how Stunningly executed the design is! I had never even thought that the LCARS could translate to Keycaps, you did a phenomenal Job, I can't even begin to imagine other console types and fandom setting could go onto boards. I'm still learning an absolute ton about these, and hopefully building my own in short time.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:14:28 »
I'm happy to report that it looks like I'll be able to go up to Signature Plastics and film some footage of these being produced! I'll keep everyone posted as it gets nearer the time.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:16:20 »
I'm happy to report that it looks like I'll be able to go up to Signature Plastics and film some footage of these being produced! I'll keep everyone posted as it gets nearer the time.

that's pretty cool

Offline sympodius

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 01:38:14 »

Superb! Any rough dates?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 09:46:23 »

Superb! Any rough dates?

Only those previously stated. As soon as I hear anything more specific from Signature Plastics, I’ll let everyone here know.

Offline sympodius

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 02:47:19 »
Thanks! So excited!

Offline norbauer

Galaxy Class: an official Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan from Roddenberry.com
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 10:07:03 »
Thanks! So excited!

My pleasure. :)

Incidentally, I have no new date estimate, but I did get confirmation yesterday that SP received the PO and payment from Roddenberry some time ago and that they have already begun the molding process.

Offline sympodius

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 18:56:49 »
My pleasure. :)

Incidentally, I have no new date estimate, but I did get confirmation yesterday that SP received the PO and payment from Roddenberry some time ago and that they have already begun the molding process.

Exciting times!

Offline cyber5am

I'm a Star Trek fan and this is just awesome :eek: :eek: :thumb:

Offline mdaly001

OMG sooo sad I missed this. Any chance of a rerun :-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

I think Roddenberry may have a few extras available in their shop this summer after the GB has shipped. Maybe sign up on their email list?

Incidentally, by way of an update: injection molding is nearly complete and dye sublimation and packaging manufacture both start soon.

Offline mdaly001

I think Roddenberry may have a few extras available in their shop this summer after the GB has shipped. Maybe sign up on their email list?

Incidentally, by way of an update: injection molding is nearly complete and dye sublimation and packaging manufacture both start soon.
Thx!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline sympodius

Thanks for the update  :)

Is the filming still happening or did it not work out in the end?

Offline norbauer

It took a while to get scheduled, but I'll be up there filming on the 19th of this month! :)

Offline sympodius

It took a while to get scheduled, but I'll be up there filming on the 19th of this month! :)

Woo!  ;D

Offline sympodius

Good luck on Monday!   :D

Offline sympodius

Any updates?  :)

Offline vilagefool

Any updates?  :)

He did send out a quick update via email list:
I just got back from Signature Plastics where I filmed lots of awesome 4k footage of them finishing up the Galaxy Class run that I helped produce for Roddenberry.com. Those should ship from Roddenberry late spring, and I should have video up before then.

Hopefully we'll get some video of sweet keycap making.  :p

Offline Darknight00z

I'm surprised its taking this long. I remember DSA royal navy r2 was happening around the same time.

Offline norbauer

I'm surprised its taking this long. I remember DSA royal navy r2 was happening around the same time.

I believe that one is double-shot. As I recently observed in person, the dye sublimation process is incredibly painstaking compared to the way the double-shot machines spit out the pre-legended caps.

It'll take me a bit of time to edit the footage I shot into a video, but here is a quick preview in the form of a few photos I took while I was there.

All the keys have been molded and dye sublimation is still happening now. The last thing to be complete will likely be the boxes, which are currently being manufactured and then have to make their way to SP, so things are still several weeks out from shipping.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

I believe that one is double-shot. As I recently observed in person, the dye sublimation process is incredibly painstaking compared to the way the double-shot machines spit out the pre-legended caps.

It'll take me a bit of time to edit the footage I shot into a video, but here is a quick preview in the form of a few photos I took while I was there.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

All the keys have been molded and dye sublimation is still happening now. The last thing to be complete will likely be the boxes, which are currently being manufactured and then have to make their way to SP, so things are still several weeks out from shipping.

freakin sweet

thanks for sharing norb

Offline norbauer

Thanks, Puddsy.  :D

Incidentally, the legends on this round look amazing and crisp, which is particularly excellent given the fine details on the UFOP logo. They've recently tweaked their dyesub process yet again at SP and it's unlike anything I've seen on Galaxy Class in previous rounds, or any other set for that matter.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

Incidentally, the legends on this round look amazing and crisp, which is particularly excellent given the fine details on the UFOP logo. They've recently tweaked their dyesub process yet again at SP and it's unlike anything I've seen on Galaxy Class in previous rounds, or any other set for that matter.

SP's dyesub has always been pretty good, so if they've made it even better that's ++

Offline norbauer

SP's dyesub has always been pretty good, so if they've made it even better that's ++

Seriously. I was amazed. I'm very familiar with what previous runs of the set have looked like (quite good), and I could instantly tell from looking at it this time around they totally took it to another level. This was a pleasant surprise, since I was a little worried about some of the tiny details on the logos, but that has turned out not to be an issue at all. I don't really know what they're doing differently from a technical standpoint (they were a little cagey on the details), but it certainly seems to be working.

Offline avid

The colors turned out beautifully. Very nice pastel colors.

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
Any news on the artisan?