Author Topic: rewire to prevent specific ghosting?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline ianxblog

• no
rewire to prevent specific ghosting?
« on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:52:36 »
Yesterday I bought a Cherry G84-4100. So far so good, just needs getting used to and maybe switch break-in (just like browns) for a smoother feel. The only two problems that I encountered were some aspects of the layout that I fixed remapping via registry (Pause key is now DEL, tilde key is Left Alt, Left Alt is now Left Win) but yesterday I tried it for gaming and encountered some ghosting.

Not really problematic as far as gaming efficiency goes, but I noticed it without looking for it; you can't press LeftShift+W+Tab. This happened when trying to sprint and check the scoreboard :p. However, I did some testing and the right shift obviously doesn't have that problem.

So my question is, could I hand wire the left shift switch to actuate in the right shift contacts so when you press the left shift it actually "presses" right shift? Will I encounter some problem when using the keyboard (something like X software not working correctly because left shift is expected?). Anyway, I could then remap via software right shift to be left shift, so I'm more interested in if this is physically possible and how to do it.

And if it's worth it :rolleyes:

Offline SuperBobKing

Re: rewire to prevent specific ghosting?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 15:18:58 »
If you cut the traces leading to left shift and wire it in parallel with right shift then both left shift and right shift should activate right shift. IIRC software can differentiate between the two, so some programs may be affected. I haven't programmed anything that required detecting keystrokes recently and have never had a reason to differentiate between the two though so I can't remember for sure.

But if you do end up needing left shift it would be difficult to fix. You would have to scrape off part of the solder mask (without damaging the trace beneath) and solder a wire to bridge the connection you cut. You also would need to be careful not to cut the wrong place because you might mess up the matrix if you do. If it does happen you would have to use the fix mentioned above. If you post a picture of the pcb we could give more precise directions.

Offline ianxblog

• no
Re: rewire to prevent specific ghosting?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 15:25:32 »
If you cut the traces leading to left shift and wire it in parallel with right shift then both left shift and right shift should activate right shift. IIRC software can differentiate between the two, so some programs may be affected. I haven't programmed anything that required detecting keystrokes recently and have never had a reason to differentiate between the two though so I can't remember for sure.

But if you do end up needing left shift it would be difficult to fix. You would have to scrape off part of the solder mask (without damaging the trace beneath) and solder a wire to bridge the connection you cut. You also would need to be careful not to cut the wrong place because you might mess up the matrix if you do. If it does happen you would have to use the fix mentioned above. If you post a picture of the pcb we could give more precise directions.

Many thanks for your informative reply. So, bottom line: not worth it; gotta slow down when checking scoreboards :p