Author Topic: Why do people hate MX browns?  (Read 27382 times)

Offline frvrngn

Re: Why do people hate MX browns?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 11:13:05 »
I dont mind Browns, I just dont love them.  I have tried most of the majors - Red, Black, Blue, Green, Clear, ErgoClear and the Browns along with Quiet Alps, 45g Topre and BS.

Blues - the high pitched click just grates my nerves!  If I was wearing headphones they would be fine, but I cant stand that click
Greens - as above just heavier
BS - so fun to type on but heavier than I like for an all day board.  The noise doesnt bother me at all like the click of a Blue/Green
Black - too heavy
Red - too many typos (I type, I dont game)
Brown - not bad at all but...
Clear - Loved the feeling just too heavy, I am a pretty light typist.
ErgoClear - Favorite switch of all and one I use daily for most of the day.  I agree with others, the ErgoClear is what a Brown should be.

Matias Quiet Alps have a great tactile feeling and I use that when I need to work late at night at home.  I used to hate the key wobble but I am getting used to it.  Still dont like to use it all day.

45g Topre.  I used a Type Heaven for a couple months off and on.  I loved it at first and then was getting weird fatigue issues in my hands.  It also just felt kind of "meh" with regards to feedback.

I would rate my favorites to use daily as ErgoClear followed by Browns.  All switches have their pluses and minuses and everybody has personal preferences. 
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 11:19:10 »
I used a Das II (their first with Cherry switches and before it grew the tumor on the right side of the board) from 2006 until last year when I bought a QFR with MX Browns and a Topre F660C. I found that the browns are just too light for me, topre (at least the plate-mounted F660C) isn't really my thing, and I still love the feel of my broken in blues. Definitely thinking about trading/selling my F660C and getting a new board and trying out ergo-clears. That might be the right combination of tactile and not-so-ear-splittingly loud.

So I guess I don't "hate" browns, I just think that they're not a good compromise for me. And as for linear switches, personally I never understoodthem just due to the complete lack of feedback (short of bottoming out).

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 11:29:17 »
browns are very middle of the road in a lot of ways:

in side by side comparisons brown always seems to lose because every switch does something better than browns.
this causes most enthusiasts to dislike the switch. it is also one of the more popular switches for beginners because its not to heavy, not to light, tactile but no click etc.

this causes a lot of people to "move on" from browns, because they bought them on their first board to be safe,
then like a rebellious teen they rail against the safety of their home that sheltered them in their younger days as a doe eyed keyboard enthusiast.
they think "moving on" from browns is a sign that the switch is bad and not just that they were perhaps picking a switch that was not for them.

and even those who 'like' what browns have to offer, topre is very close to browns in alot of ways, but they are much more smooth which is what many people think is wrong with browns.

but browns have always been there for you.

they wait up faithfully while you are out with other women.
"oh this board with mx clears has such a BIG tactile BUMP! and the click on these greens. . . my hands can barely handle such a heavy switch!"

browns do not mind that you need to spread your wings

they are happy for you,

and they hope they served you well while you used them.

all she asks is that you pull her out every now and then.
just for old memories sake.

remind her that she is appreciated for her faithful service.
for always being there for you

mx browns still loves you. . .
don't break her heart, she does not ask for much,
just to know that she is loved

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 12:48:38 »

in side by side comparisons brown always seems to lose because every switch does something better than browns.
this causes most enthusiasts to dislike the switch. it is also one of the more popular switches for beginners because its not to heavy, not to light, tactile but no click etc.

this causes a lot of people to "move on" from browns, because they bought them on their first board to be safe,
then like a rebellious teen they rail against the safety of their home that sheltered them in their younger days as a doe eyed keyboard enthusiast.
they think "moving on" from browns is a sign that the switch is bad and not just that they were perhaps picking a switch that was not for them.

and even those who 'like' what browns have to offer, topre is very close to browns in alot of ways, but they are much more smooth which is what many people think is wrong with browns.

"oh this board with mx clears has such a BIG tactile BUMP! and the click on these greens. . . my hands can barely handle such a heavy switch!"

they are happy for you,

You certainly live up to your name... :P
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:57:56 »

they are happy for you,

dude...all the feels right now.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:06:02 »

they are happy for you,

saved

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:32:17 »
When I hit a switch I want to feel the pressure and click or nothing at all, and browns are too much in the middle for me.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:46:06 »
Browns are fine and pleasant switches. But, as ConscienceDrop said, enthusiasts tend to "move on" from them all while calling them "bad switches". I think it's fine to dislike a switch, but the hate Browns receive from people makes them appear like snobby hipsters in my eyes.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:55:33 »
I have been using browns for a year now, and I still find them comfortable, however I want to try a different switch. I will get an Infinity with clears, that I will mode to ergo clears, and hope to get an "upgrade" from browns.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:55:52 »
Y'all need Kalih Browns in your life 4srs

I'm drafting a Kailh Brown review for all you non-believers out there. If you used them, you would be a convert.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 17:02:21 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:59:56 »

I'm drafting a Kalih Brown review for all you non-believers out there. If you used them, you would be a convert.

They are really nice aren't they? I'll say this again later but to me, they're everything MX Browns should be.

Offline AlexK6

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 18:47:11 »
I went from Reds to Browns and well, Browns definitely feel like "dirty Reds", but it doesn't mean they're bad.
I prefer typing on Browns, because I definitely type more accurately and accidental presses are less common. But for gaming I prefer linears - I just love that smooth feeling, even though they're a bit too light for me. I should try Blacks, maybe.

Offline dimamantra

• | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 19:04:36 »
I went from Reds to Browns and well, Browns definitely feel like "dirty Reds", but it doesn't mean they're bad.
I prefer typing on Browns, because I definitely type more accurately and accidental presses are less common. But for gaming I prefer linears - I just love that smooth feeling, even though they're a bit too light for me. I should try Blacks, maybe.

When gaming I have found that blacks are a bit heavy for me. I end up with cramps in my wrist from them. I feel like I would enjoy reds more for gaming.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 19:09:14 »
They are really nice aren't they? I'll say this again later but to me, they're everything MX Browns should be.

Reeeeeeal nice. My new KC 87 has replaced my V60 and KC84 on my old PC. It's lovely.

Also, I hate reds. They don't feel like anything.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 22:54:52 »

I'm drafting a Kalih Brown review for all you non-believers out there. If you used them, you would be a convert.

What's different about Kalih browns?

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 03:43:19 »
While there's only one other really popular tactile switch (tactile greys aren't very common), people like clears substantially more than browns on a pretty consistent basis. The two main problems people seem to have with browns is that the feel pretty scratchy, not very smooth, and that the tactile bump is barely noticeable, hence the nickname "dirty reds", while the bump in clears is much more prominent
T his makes me want clears so much more.
eh o well

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 05:23:53 »
i like browns but  they are somewhat a little light for me. I need harder springs so im gonna try tactoblacks :)
I tried to replace 60g on Browns with 80g spring from Black before. For me, the results are pretty bad unfortunately. It is really awkward, the tactile feeling nearly disappeared. It became something like a sanded Cherry MX Black in a negative way.

Lets see, im optimistic. i like blacks too, cant be that bad im hoping :)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 05:50:49 »
They feel much less "cheap" than blues IMO and I don't know what stock tactile switch other than Clears would be better(as far as Cherry switches go)

I love them. At first I did not appreciate them, but it was my mistake.

I'm still not sure that clears are even as good.

Browns allow you to float above the keyboard with very little bottoming out. It's a unique experience (disclaimer: I have not tried ALPS switches, and I believe some ALPS are as good).

I have a hard time choosing between Trope 45g and MX browns, so I alternate. :)

But my typing style is very different on Topre than on MX brown, it's surprising and refreshing.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 08:46:15 »
They feel much less "cheap" than blues IMO and I don't know what stock tactile switch other than Clears would be better(as far as Cherry switches go)
Not sure people dislike browns in general. People who like a heavier switch will obviously not feel comfortable on them. I am using 65g clears right now, but I still like browns.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 09:52:45 »
I've purchased several brown switches from mechanicalkeyboards.com and at least the supply they have seems to have squeakier springs than the ones I've seen come stock with other keyboards... like my das. Not sure if I just got some bad batches or what... Anyways... I like browns for very specific purposes. I use them sometimes on modifier keys since they're lighter. In general though, I'm all about clears. Clears have more tactile feedback and the extra weight to the switch doesn't bother me really. To each their own I guess though.  ^-^

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 06:36:02 »
The history of browns is best described in this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=25632.0

Needs moar ABX blind testing.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 17:11:34 »

I love them. At first I did not appreciate them, but it was my mistake.

I'm still not sure that clears are even as good.

Browns allow you to float above the keyboard with very little bottoming out. It's a unique experience (disclaimer: I have not tried ALPS switches, and I believe some ALPS are as good).

I have a hard time choosing between Trope 45g and MX browns, so I alternate. :)

But my typing style is very different on Topre than on MX brown, it's surprising and refreshing.

I'm in the same vote :thumb:

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:14:35 »
I don't hate the MX Browns but I don't like them either. I was trying them on my friend's Ducky Shine Mini and they didn't feel as good as I thought they would. The bump was barely noticeable but I guess that's because I'm a heavy typist. They feel too light for me and I don't game much so I prefer Blues much more.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 20:51:52 »
is your favorite MX switch still 65g blacks? out of the three stock switches i used (black, red, brown), i like black the most because it has this smoothness that's absent in the other two, kinda like bouncing up and down on a soft cushion. it got tiring real quick though, and after reading your review, i ordered some 65g springs for any future build i might use to replace the (80g?) stock springs

Offline Data

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:32:44 »
I like browns the most but I am slowly getting into clears. I don't like "loud" switches at all.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:49:10 »
is your favorite MX switch still 65g blacks?
MX black with 65g/67g springs are pretty similar to green Alps. 62g is also a good weight. Stock MX red springs are much too light and MX black springs are too stiff.

I’m not a linear-switch guy in general, but it helps a lot to get the stiffness right.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 23:07:47 »
62g is also a good weight.
yeah, if i ever have a second custom board i'll put 62g clears into it. there's just so many possible switch/spring combinations (to speak nothing of stems and non-MX switches) that it's impossible to test out everything by myself, hence i rely a lot on reviews to help make a decision.

Offline Tony

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:44:25 »
Why somebody likes apple but some others likes watermelon? Or better, Google?

I almost type exclusively on brown.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 10:31:56 »
Brown is my favorite switch. Maybe mine are broken in but they're not scratchy at all, and with the Leopold PBT caps they feel amazing to type on.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 01:17:39 »
From my limited experience broken in browns are amazing, smooth and imo you feel the tactile bump a bit more.  Using a new set of browns on my current kb and i can see why someone may not like them, I was ready to give up on browns after using a new ducky with them, but then i bought a used filco with browns that had been broken in and they made me reconsider.
eh o well

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 06:46:04 »
From my limited experience broken in browns are amazing, smooth and imo you feel the tactile bump a bit more.  Using a new set of browns on my current kb and i can see why someone may not like them, I was ready to give up on browns after using a new ducky with them, but then i bought a used filco with browns that had been broken in and they made me reconsider.

+1. All modern MX switches need to be "worn in" to achieve their potential. They all seem to be slightly "scratchy" from the factory, with the tactile switches seeming to suffer the most. I'm going to be trying some Ghost Blacks (Blacks with Clear springs) when my latest keyboard-related package clears customs :) I'm hoping they'll go well with SA profile caps.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:03:25 »
Having defaulted to reds for the past several months, I'm so glad I picked up a board with Browns again.  I have always liked them with the thick PBT sets and find the bump useful for both gaming and typing.  I prefer having a board with Browns on the desk by default for jack of all trades use, even over my 65g ergo clear.  I especially like using the arrow keys and the six pack for web navigation, the super subtle bump is just enough.

I'm desperate for a PBT set for my brown QFR. Hehe  :cool:
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline dante

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:11:44 »

+1. All modern MX switches need to be "worn in" to achieve their potential. They all seem to be slightly "scratchy" from the factory, with the tactile switches seeming to suffer the most. I'm going to be trying some Ghost Blacks (Blacks with Clear springs) when my latest keyboard-related package clears customs :) I'm hoping they'll go well with SA profile caps.

Some batches are scratchier than others.  Corsair/Thermaltake have the best feeling linear switches out of the box that I've tried.  And as someone who hates 'gamer' keyboards it pains me to say this.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:37:30 »
browns suck
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:38:40 »
mostly racism.

if it was mx whites they'd all love it. but since it's brown, it's inferior.

why do you think these racists like vintage blacks more than new blacks?

****ing racists.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:40:02 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:10:39 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:41:39 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:09:49 by esoomenona »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:42:50 »
And by smoother, they mean worked until they offer no resistance. Sounds like a call for the reinstatement of slavery if you ask me.

insert mind blown gif here.

makes so much sense now.

mfw cherry racist as ****.

topre is life. topre is liberty. topre is freedom

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:44:11 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:09:35 by esoomenona »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 15:46:37 »
Ever hear how people like browns because they're quiet and good for work, but hate them for everything else?

i, for one, will not stand for cherry and the keyboard community's racism. incredible. it's 2015 people, why the hate? WHY CAN'T WE JUST FINGER ALL COLORS THE SAME AMOUNT?

topre 4 lyfe until racism dies.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 16:15:18 »

When I tried them, they just felt like horrible, gritty reds to me and I've been a red user/lover for a really long time now, so maybe I'm a little biased but at the end of the day, they just were not a comfortable switch to use what so ever.
你搞砸了

Offline spale

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 16:57:17 »
You cant hate browns. Simply because,  the linear MX switches exist and some people like them. Now, thats a blasphemy. ;)

Offline spiritistz

• Daily Driver: RF 87U 55g
    • http://bgm.tv/
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 05:24:38 »
I don't hate MX brown, I just can't stand the noise every time when you bottom it out, which all the MX switch dose, which means...
I don't like MX switch really  :(
Filco NINJA Brown Switch for sale.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 07:43:35 »
I like Browns.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 09:03:50 »
I just switched my work keyboard (vintage blacks) for this Das with browns this morning. Not hating it. I can use browns/blacks/reds/clears interchangeably. I don't really see a problem. These are worn in, so they feel pretty smooth. And the browns on my TypeNow Solid feel really great.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 17:21:20 »
Browns are my favorite switch, don't know why they get so much hate.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:32:23 »
Cherry mx is my least favorite type of switch, but within the Cherry mx group, after trying red, black, brown, clear, blue, and green, I have finally settled on brown.

Offline Huxley2500

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 19:33:22 »
Browns are fine.  Just boring.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 22:41:25 »
I don't hate MX brown, I just can't stand the noise every time when you bottom it out, which all the MX switch dose, which means...
I don't like MX switch really  :(

O-rings, then. It's what people do when they don't like the noise.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 03:51:08 »
...or, y'know, don't bottom out.