Author Topic: Building Phantom Hardware and Firmware Mods  (Read 179450 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: Building Phantom Hardware and Firmware Mods
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 18:12:13 »
Well, as I said and litster confirmed, it is no issue´, but the question remains: Is it the only one, and have someone gotten one where they have missed a more critical hole? It seems weird to me that a proces which ought to be CNC could even yield such a deficiency.

I have a couple of thoughts I would like to have confirmed:
A) So far, no one as implemented the mx lock switch in the firmware, correct?
B) The LEDs are connected in parallel with their counterparts under the caps. Both of them could thus be used, 4 LEDs in total, correct?
C) Are the resistors located before or after the junction where the LEDs go parallel? I am assuming that they are located within the split and both will have to be used if one wants both Caps lock LEDs to light up, on resistor for each LED. I am planning to connect both and use a small switch to select which one I want to use.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 22:12:27 by damorgue »

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 18:56:35 »
You've got one of a kind, congratulations =D I don't know if they may perhaps miss a hole if the drill bit breaks or something like that. Or if the machine doesn't pick it up as it should.

A) Locking switches shouldn't need any special routines. As long as they are pressed, they are.. pressed. Well actually it may be wise to assure that they don't fall off the 6KRO i guess..
B) The LED under the caps lock has it's own resistor, as does usual Filco Caps Lock LED. The two Scroll Lock LEDs share the same resistor.
C) See B.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 19:10:16 »
A) So far, no one as implemented the mx lock switch in the firmware, correct?
I don't know about the Phantom firmware, but I know that Hasu did some kind of emulation of a locking Caps Lock in his ADB-to-USB protocol converter code. Because the mode is controlled by the USB host and not the keyboard and the controller can not make a switch lock or unlock, emulation was not perfect.
BTW, let me know if you need an extra MX Lock switch.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 19:10:59 »
Yay, one of a kind. I am a unique little snowflake, just like everybody else.

A) Locking switches shouldn't need any special routines. As long as they are pressed, they are.. pressed. Well actually it may be wise to assure
I meant as in more advanced use, like toggling caps lock. Yes, I realize that there will be a problem when it is out of sync if one were to press caps lock on another keyboard for instance.

Anyway, thanks for your answers, I won't have to check the traces of the LEDs now. Just to confirm before I start breaking stuff, does it look something like this?
http://i.imgur.com/TkuBo.png

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #204 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 19:21:42 »
From ADB to USB keyboard converter for Teensy:
I tried the "Locking Caps Lock"(0x82) instead of Caps Lock(0x39) in Windows and it failed to handle the key.
I suppose the only solution is to send two packets for each change in state of the caps lock - one with the key down, and then one with the key up a millisecond or so later.

That appears to be how the Belkin adapter handles it.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 19:40:47 »
Well, I guess it is either a complicated solution like that or you have to deal with the possibility of desync between caps lock state and actual switch toggle state.

YAY! It is alive and running now btw

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 23:01:04 »
It wouldn't be too hard to write function that checks top see if the caps lock switch is down, and if it is down it can make sure that capslock is always on. I wrote a similar function that would make it so that numlock is always on when my secondary function layer is active so that I can use the keypad without needing to worry about whether my numlock is on.

I could implement a caps lock for locking switches if anybody wants, but I wont bother if there is no demand.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 04:30:10 »
Anyway, thanks for your answers, I won't have to check the traces of the LEDs now. Just to confirm before I start breaking stuff, does it look something like this?
http://i.imgur.com/TkuBo.png

Like this actually, but that is only because there are two LED positions under the CapsLock

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 05:16:16 »
Thanks Bpiphany

It wouldn't be too hard to write function that checks top see if the caps lock switch is down, and if it is down it can make sure that capslock is always on. I wrote a similar function that would make it so that numlock is always on when my secondary function layer is active so that I can use the keypad without needing to worry about whether my numlock is on.

I could implement a caps lock for locking switches if anybody wants, but I wont bother if there is no demand.

I would appreciate it at least. Do you happen to know how insert works? It is sort of a toggle button, but it differs from the other lock keys and I don't think the keyboard gets any information from the OS regarding its current state. I was sort of thinking about having a mx lock switch on insert as well as all the lock keys, but I think that the insert key would be a hassle.

« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 06:49:14 by damorgue »

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 02:21:18 »
Insert is just a regular key like any other, and any toggleability is done outside of the firmware by the OS or software.

I'm thinking it would be going overboard to put mx lock switches on all of the lock keys seeing as how the firmware already does a good job of tracking two locks with LEDs. Also, I find that mx lock switches are a bit less dependable because they don't always lock when you press them.

EDIT: I have now added locking num/caps/scroll lock switches. Just use KEY_LOCK_CAPS/NUM/SCROLL in your layouts.
I also changed a few 16bit integers back to 8bit integers because I realized they didn't need to be 16bits.
As usual, my fork of the phantom firmware can be found here.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 04:06:04 by Tranquilite »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 08:34:09 »
I get some weird behavior. Note that I haven't soldered the switches yet, and I am guessing that the rapid key presses might be what is causing them. Below is what the keyboard outputs in notepad. First J was pressed, then H and then G. Note that some other characters sneak in and even caps lock at one point. I did press enter manually when I changed letter to test. The line break in H and G are fake however. I am assuming that it is something in the debouncing which causes this, but I am a bit worried that it will be present if one were to press a switch very fast as well, since it happens so often in this test.

Code: [Select]
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJFJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJFJJJJJJJJJ

HHHHHHHHHSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ÖGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGKGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 08:37:49 »
I had this behavior as well when testing the firmware for the replacement controller. I was using a board without switches, shorting the pads out with a pair of tweezers. When I got my new tenkeyless, switches in place, it was completely gone. And no-one else with a Phantom has reported these kind of issues...

Offline dirge

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 09:22:21 »

also anyone got an iso hex file?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 10:10:03 by dirge »
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 16:07:37 »
I found out that you can't open mounted switches that have a stabiliser, because the holes are different than for other switches. I fixed this by filing down two tabs. This mod does not seem to have any effects on Costar-style stabilisers, but I dunno about Cherry-style stabilisers. In the picture below, I have filed down the tab on the left side but not the one on the right.

I also found out that spacing between key groups on the Phantom is the same as on a Key Tronic KT-800 or KT-1000. This means that you could rebuild a case from one of them. However, there is a lot of space around all the keys, meaning that it would not look good. The left and right edges of the Phantom plate would be visible..
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 16:35:43 by Findecanor »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 16:18:29 »

I have been reworking the firmware quite a bit. One change is that the mapping is located in a file of it's own. So there will be ISO ANSI ANSIWIN and ISOWIN files when I update the github repository. I can probably squeeze that in tonight after work, before I go to bed...

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 17:16:04 »
Man I wish that I bought one of these :( missed out!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 17:20:33 »
I have 2 7bit Custom plates and 2 sets of keycaps that match my layout but no PCBs, sorry.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: Building Phantom Hardware and Firmware Mods
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 17:26:54 »
I have 2 7bit Custom plates and 2 sets of keycaps that match my layout but no PCBs, sorry.

Ah that is a shame! Do you think that I stand much chance? Ideally after ANSI with Win key.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 17:36:15 »

Ah that is a shame! Do you think that I stand much chance? Ideally after ANSI with Win key.
I dont think there are any extra PCBs floating around I think that lootbag was selling his coimpleted Phantom in the classifieds though. Its a 7bit custom... if yo want ansi win yo ushould probably have to sink like an additional $50 in to get a new plate then desolder and resolder the thing, which wouldnt be the most cost effective. If your going that far you might want to consider getting like I got that allows a standard spacebar and an ansi win 1st row but you still can have a full number pad. A example of my layout after a plate change is below:

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 21:44:10 »

If all you are looking for is a standard layout ANSI w/ winkey then pick up a Filco TKL and get in on bpiphany's replacement controller.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 22:14:48 »

If all you are looking for is a standard layout ANSI w/ winkey then pick up a Filco TKL and get in on bpiphany's replacement controller.
Totally forgot about that even though im building 3 of those.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 03:42:59 »

I have been reworking the firmware quite a bit. One change is that the mapping is located in a file of it's own. So there will be ISO ANSI ANSIWIN and ISOWIN files when I update the github repository. I can probably squeeze that in tonight after work, before I go to bed...

Here is the new git repository for all my keyboard projects https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/AVR-Keyboard
There are pre-compiled hex-files for the Phantoms. I'm pretty sure the ISO and ANSI layouts should actually be the exact same =) The winkeyless ISO/ANSI layouts as well. But I have no Phantom to try them on.. So I hope they still work at all... I think they do, the other firmwares still work.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 04:53:21 »
A guide to compile might make it easier so that you don't have to make the hexes with every update, and it allows for people to mess around with theirs easier. I am used to a big green run/compile button or a ./configure somewhere.

I was lucky to get it to work, and I still don't know if I am doing it right or not.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 06:25:54 »
I don't even have any idea on how to do it other than in a *nix environment =D But I could probably add some comments to the Makefile.. I'm not very skilled with c or make myself. It is mostly trial and error to get stuff to work on my end as well =P

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 06:28:02 »
Yeah, I might try it on my other box. WinAVR confuses me.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 06:45:00 »
If I knew how to work with make I would like to have a syntax something like
make phantom isoAt the moment you need to edit the Makefile to set the parameters according to what you need. And simply run
makeor rather
make clean; makejust to be sure there are no intermediate files from an earlier compile messing things up. Changing the microcontroller requires a clean for sure.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #226 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 09:50:02 »
With make there is no way to specify an option to a target (that I am aware of).  make phantom iso is the same as make phantom ; make iso.  What you would need is something along the lines of these targets:  phiso, phansi, ph7bit, and then additional for variance between winkeys.  I am several thousand miles from my book on make but I may be able to find something useful online.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 14:22:11 »
Here is a basic guide to compiling the firmware in a Windows environment:

1) Download and install WinAVR. I'm pretty sure all of the default settings are fine.
2) Download the phantom firmware (either use git, or just download the zip from the repository website) and extract the source somewhere.
3) Open a command window and change directory to the place where you just extracted the source. (Windows 7 users can shift+right click and select "Open Command Window Here")
4) Type "make" or "make clean" followed by "make".
5) Program the resulting hex file onto your teensy.

It's as simple as that! However you are also going to want to open the makefile with a text editor that supports unix-style linebreaks, such as wordpad (not notepad), and change the appropriate settings such as board and layout.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #228 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 15:05:16 »
notepad++ should work also right?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 15:07:21 »
WinAVR has one built in too.

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 17:02:25 »
As long as you can see the linebreaks properly, then it will be fine, even if your word processor spits out windows style line breaks.

Personally I've just been using Programmer's Notepad that came with WinAVR.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Re: Building Phantom Hardware and Firmware Mods
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 17:15:36 »
notepad++ should work also right?

EDLIN. Still works.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:55:16 »
If I knew how to work with make I would like to have a syntax something like
make phantom isoAt the moment you need to edit the Makefile to set the parameters according to what you need.

Try this to override the variable. I think this may work in this case.
make phantom LAYOUT=iso

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:32:54 »
Yeah, passing ENV vars works in unix... dunno if that works in windows.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:37:34 »
It is not ENV actually.

If you want to give make a ENV var do this, right?
LAYOUT=iso make phantomThis won't override variable LAYOUT defined in Makefile.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:14:41 »
Damn I wish I had my book handy.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 16:05:28 »
Although there is no plate for it, the Phantom PCB supports two 1u keys between 1.5u right Alt and right Control keys, as on a Topre Realforce or iOne Scorpius.
I modified one of my PHISO plates to have this arrangement. Here it is laid on top of an unmodified PHISO plate. The Space Bar's switch hole does not need to be changed if I use Cherry 6u space bars because the position is the same as for 7u space bars.

4416-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 September 2012, 16:07:18 by Findecanor »

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:32:20 »
The command that make clean is supposed to execute doesn't work in the latest phantom build. It looks like the windows find command does not have the same options.
C:\AVR-Keyboard>make clean

Cleaning everything:
find . -maxdepth 1 -regextype posix-awk -regex \
                "(.*\.hex|.*\.eep|.*\.cof|.*\.elf|.*\.map|.*\.sym|.*\.lss|.*\.o|
.*\.lst|.*\.s|.*\.d|.*\.i)" \
                -exec rm {} +
find: invalid predicate `-regextype'
make: *** [clean] Error 1

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:50:51 »
Please just stop using that awful operating system =P

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 05:09:32 »
Windows has a find command? O_o
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 12:17:39 »
Umm, actually, I don't think windows naturally has a find command. My install does though. I wonder which program I installed added that command...

Offline delgo

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 11:54:42 »
Im so frustrated with my lack of programming skills atm! could someone please share a working 7bit layout hex that I can try out, willing to pay as it is now...
KB\'s: Filco TKL MJ2 Ergo Clear/Brown Swedish ISO, HHKB white blank, IBM Model M 1990 ISO
On the way:  Phantom!

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 11:56:43 »
Since the 7bit layout is very personalized, you should post a layout from the gui and someone could compile it for you.  If I get back to my desk before anyone else does it I will do it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline delgo

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 13:05:36 »
Well I provided the file here for compiling, I would however prefer to learn to do it myself but I guess that is a future project. For now I need to test my board out!

Again I am very thankful to the one willing to compile this hex for me.
KB\'s: Filco TKL MJ2 Ergo Clear/Brown Swedish ISO, HHKB white blank, IBM Model M 1990 ISO

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 15:30:52 »
try this

* delgo_phantom_7bit.zip (3.58 kB - downloaded 223 times.)

Offline delgo

« Reply #245 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 17:24:34 »
Sadly didnt work either as I sent in PM, could be my soldering though despite looking fine :S

Should be someone here with a confirmed working 7bit layout hex that I could just try?
the teensy loader program says something about 10% in the bottom right corner, could that mean something?

Thanks for all help anyways, appreciate it!

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:44:12 »
http://pjrc.com/teensy/loader_vista.html

When the file is opened, the filename and percentage usage of the Teensy's memory are shown.

When you load a .HEX, you have to reboot Teensy through Windows GUI. Read the instructions in the link above.

Cheers
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:50:44 »
I have 2 different 7bit hex files if your interested, they are of course customized for my layout. Send me a pm if your interested.

Offline Hzza

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 05:29:53 »
Is anyone else using the ansi/iso hex having problems getting the # key to work on an ISO layout board? I can't figure out if it's a firware issue or I soldered a diode the wrong way around...I already tested the switch which is fine and the rest of the board works ok, but I get no response from the # key.

edit - Nevermind, its a duff diode  >:D.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2012, 05:53:33 by Hzza »

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 09:42:18 »
Got my board all built and firmware running. mmmm
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers