Poll

Choose your preferred color combo for this set. PLEASE SEE PICTURES BELOW!

Pure Gray
57 (39.9%)
Beige
29 (20.3%)
Charcoal
57 (39.9%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: [IC] full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set  (Read 145588 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Re: [IC] full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set
« Reply #800 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:07:40 »
I started working on the final templates. This is the real deal, legend text, size and position are actually the way they will be printed, so if you spot any error or have suggestions please report asap. I'll also post the SVG if you wanna play with it.

Maybe font size for the mods could be slightly smaller.

Show Image

PS: I really don't like the @ sign

Looks great.    I see nothing wrong with text size of the mods.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline skuko

« Reply #801 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:22:31 »
I started working on the final templates. This is the real deal, legend text, size and position are actually the way they will be printed, so if you spot any error or have suggestions please report asap. I'll also post the SVG if you wanna play with it.

Maybe font size for the mods could be slightly smaller.

Show Image

PS: I really don't like the @ sign

Looks great.    I see nothing wrong with text size of the mods.

this....looks freaking AWESOME :) make those cap tops more rounded though, so it actually looks like dsa :)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #802 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:29:56 »
Matt: if you send me a vector file, I’m happy to fix the @ sign, etc. I don’t have unlimited time to throw at it, but I could put in an hour or something.

Here’s the image I posted before, near the top of this thread:

By the way, did SP say anything about how far from the edge letters need to stay, minimum line widths, etc.?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:34:47 by jacobolus »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #803 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:33:37 »
Looking good :thumb:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #804 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:54:38 »
Matt: if you send me a vector file, I’m happy to fix the @ sign, etc. I don’t have unlimited time to throw at it, but I could put in an hour or something.

Here’s the image I posted before, near the top of this thread:
Show Image

By the way, did SP say anything about how far from the edge letters need to stay, minimum line widths, etc.?

I have very little specs unfortunately. I just have the 1u size (0.725 outside, 0.500 inside, 0.450 printing limit). From that I've built the other keys (like you see them above). I think I'm going to use Gotham light without additional width since it seems pretty good to me.

I'll send the above template to SP and ask if everything looks good to them. If that works we can start doing all the other legends.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #805 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:35:32 »
Some corrections (it really takes a lot of time)

and some fun :)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #806 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:38:29 »
So beautiful. Really nice work Matt3o.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #807 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:40:34 »
Basically my favorite set. I'm really excited about it!

Hope the edox set gets a nice price. No one ever buys them :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #808 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:52:09 »
The ultimate DSA set, lot of options, including international legends, icon mods, and it may be a first in PBT with sublimated legends. A very nice color combination that is just classy.

Offline skuko

« Reply #809 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:09:24 »
i have a WYSE dsa coming, i have a HF dsa coming, looking for a retro dsa, got macross dsa coming, will be getting this dsa, anything dsa i have missed? :D

also, cannot wait for this to get live, are we waiting for the macross to conclude to test out SP first matt?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #810 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:12:49 »
i have a WYSE dsa coming, i have a HF dsa coming, looking for a retro dsa, got macross dsa coming, will be getting this dsa, anything dsa i have missed? :D

also, cannot wait for this to get live, are we waiting for the macross to conclude to test out SP first matt?

I think he said no to that. Also, he said this GB should be open next week. I think this Monday. Yay!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #811 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:14:01 »

This should start next Monday.

Offline skuko

« Reply #812 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:14:41 »
right. did you decide on the platform yet?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #813 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:15:14 »

I think he said no to that. Also, he said this GB should be open next week. I think this Monday. Yay!

And you shall get this set. Because this is THE dsa set to get.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #814 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:19:45 »
right. did you decide on the platform yet?

SP's

Offline skuko

« Reply #815 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:21:13 »

of course i will be getting this one....a couple of weeks ago, i fell in love with the DSA profile, so i'm probably going to collect all the sets that i can get my hands on :)

i'm very glad that i actually got my hands on a WYSE dsa straight from korea - should arrive in a couple of days.

@matt3o - i'm cool with that, hopefully macross will be a great success (logistics wise) and the SP platform will be recognized by GH and the GBs won't be confined into the SP subsection anymore.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #816 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:24:07 »

of course i will be getting this one....a couple of weeks ago, i fell in love with the DSA profile, so i'm probably going to collect all the sets that i can get my hands on :)

i'm very glad that i actually got my hands on a WYSE dsa straight from korea - should arrive in a couple of days.

@matt3o - i'm cool with that, hopefully macross will be a great success (logistics wise) and the SP platform will be recognized by GH and the GBs won't be confined into the SP subsection anymore.

Oh my... I am full of envy now, this is one of those few moments when I hate to be a poor grad student.  >:D

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #817 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:21:32 »
These are the kits so far. As always please report any error. This is exactly how they will be printed, if we put a typo or something we will have to live with it forever after!

Any idea for a better pause/break icon? (that is not a mug)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #818 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:26:57 »
Are the 'home' and 'end' arrow heads supposed to be the same? (I realize they go in opposite directions.)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #819 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:27:12 »
What about this for the pause break:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #820 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:29:40 »
Show Image

There are still a lot of fixes needed here.

Suggestions:
* move the `'"^ slightly upward, and ,. slightly downward. They don’t need to be quite in their usual alignment, but having them completely centered doesn’t look right
* increase the size of the ^*+- and probably ~ < > [but make sure you keep the stroke weight consistent with the rest of the set]
* increase the weight of ,.:;'"` and possibly make them slightly bigger
* make sure you do your horizontal centering based on visual weight rather than precise character center. For example ()[]{} are all quite a bit off
* I’d recommend slightly increasing the weight of all the numbers and modifiers, to bring it closer to the weight of the letters.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #821 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:31:06 »
Also, fix that @ sign. I’d recommend combining the @ signs from 2 different weights of the typeface. You’ll need to redraw some of the outline, but it’s not too hard.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #822 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:33:42 »
Are the 'home' and 'end' arrow heads supposed to be the same? (I realize they go in opposite directions.)

yes, why?

Also, fix that @ sign. I’d recommend combining the @ signs from 2 different weights of the typeface. You’ll need to redraw some of the outline, but it’s not too hard.

cool! can you work on that?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #823 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:35:13 »

yes, why?

Those questions were exactly what I thought when I read their posts. LOL. It was amazing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #824 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:35:54 »

yes, why?

They just look different to me ¯\(°_o)/¯

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #825 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:36:41 »

yes, why?

I'll double check them, thanks

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #826 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:37:21 »

yes, why?

Make a sketch of your idea, so we may understand your point.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #827 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:39:28 »
* Leading is too limited on Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause Break. (Perhaps rename this to just “Pause”? I’m not sure what Windows people want w/ this legend.)

* I’d also add a bit more leading on “Caps Lock”, but not as much as on the smaller text.

* I really dislike “PGUP” and “PGDN” but do what you must.

* Caps lock symbol is very visually heavy

* Print screen symbol is especially dark where the lines meet. There are a few possible fixes, or it could maybe be safely ignored

* I’d add a bit of space behind the x in the rectangular end of the delete/backspace symbols so they don’t feel so unbalanced. Make sure you center them within the keycap space visually rather than precisely based on character dimensions

* Likewise the arrow keys need to be more carefully centered IMO

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #828 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:40:37 »

Sure, but you haven’t posted any vector files.

Anyway, gotta run. But I could spend about an hour on fiddling with this tomorrow, if you post a vector file.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #829 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:42:39 »

Those questions were exactly what I thought when I read their posts. LOL. It was amazing.

What are you getting at? Matt asked for suggestions/critiques, so that’s what I’m doing. If he doesn’t find it helpful and wants me to stop, he can certainly speak up for himself.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:44:18 by jacobolus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #830 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 14:45:33 »
X

The comments are very welcome. And he has spoken, and your answer is needed. However, I do not see what you see, so that is the advantage of group thinking.  ;)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #831 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 17:00:11 »
jacobolus, your input is welcome. I agree with most of your observations and I'll work on them tomorrow. I'm probably going to keep the , . center-aligned for a more retro-look, but I'll try the most modern bottom aligned version and see which one I like most.

Now I don't have access to the vectors files, but I've posted them on DT, I'll repost an updated version here tomorrow.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #832 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 20:21:05 »
I quite like the current pause/break symbol but if it's not visual enough you could maybe do a  -| |- in a circle. It is both a pause symbol... and a break in a line ;-)

[)amien

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #833 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 20:30:05 »
These are the kits so far. As always please report any error. This is exactly how they will be printed, if we put a typo or something we will have to live with it forever after!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Matt,

If it will fit can we have Control spelled out on the text modifiers
and RGB?

Also is the stepped caps lock in the mod kits center stem?

Man I can't wait to get these.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 March 2014, 02:15:24 by CommonCurt »
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #834 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 02:23:28 »
and RGB?

With current font size we can't fit "Control" on 1.25. Mods text size is not yet final anyway, I could still reduce it a little and in that case it would fit. I prefer to keep consistency in font size.

DSA has no center stemmed caps lock.

Offline Roekpoffen

« Reply #835 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 02:39:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What happened with the international kit? Will it be available?

Offline justnits

« Reply #836 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 03:01:24 »
and RGB?

With current font size we can't fit "Control" on 1.25. Mods text size is not yet final anyway, I could still reduce it a little and in that case it would fit. I prefer to keep consistency in font size.

IINM, the mold belongs to OTD.kr and you need permission from OTD.kr to use them on your set.
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #837 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 03:02:12 »
I'm probably going to keep the , . center-aligned for a more retro-look, but I'll try the most modern bottom aligned version and see which one I like most.
Okay.

I don’t think they should necessarily be aligned as they are in use on a printed page, I just would move the quotation marks up slightly, and the ,. down slightly.

For example, look a the alignment and sizing of these keys on a current Apple chiclet keyboard. I don’t think it’s necessary to go quite as far as they do away from centered, but their layout for these keys seems fairly reasonable.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #838 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 03:43:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What happened with the international kit? Will it be available?

Of course they will be available! I'm working on the final templates, look at the first post for a list of all keys.

and RGB?

IINM, the mold belongs to OTD.kr and you need permission from OTD.kr to use them on your set.

There's no center stemmed stepped key we can use in DSA PBT. Sorry. Really, I can't.

I'm probably going to keep the , . center-aligned for a more retro-look, but I'll try the most modern bottom aligned version and see which one I like most.
Okay.

I don’t think they should necessarily be aligned as they are in use on a printed page, I just would move the quotation marks up slightly, and the ,. down slightly.

For example, look a the alignment and sizing of these keys on a current Apple chiclet keyboard. I don’t think it’s necessary to go quite as far as they do away from centered, but their layout for these keys seems fairly reasonable.

Thanks for all your inputs. I'll make some tests. Looking at an apple keyboard the , . are really way down, I don't like that, but I could definitely move the . up a little and then both down a bit.

In the meantime I fixed the @. I really like it now (before and after)

Later I'll post all the updates with the SVGs.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #839 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 04:06:06 »
In the meantime I fixed the @. I really like it now (before and after)

Show Image

Later I'll post all the updates with the SVGs.
That’s pretty good, I like the relative weights of the letter/circle. There’s something slightly weird about the bottom of the swoop where the a part meets the circle. It’s probably not too noticeable at the final size, but maybe I’ll try to fiddle with it tomorrow.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #840 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 04:08:33 »
yeah I noticed that too. I have to do some work now, I'll see what I can do later, even though --as you said-- I doubt it would be noticeable at keycap size. Also the "a" is now slightly smaller.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #841 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 05:12:39 »
Show Image

There are still a lot of fixes needed here.

Suggestions:
* move the `'"^ slightly upward, and ,. slightly downward. They don’t need to be quite in their usual alignment, but having them completely centered doesn’t look right
* increase the size of the ^*+- and probably ~ < > [but make sure you keep the stroke weight consistent with the rest of the set]
* increase the weight of ,.:;'"` and possibly make them slightly bigger
* make sure you do your horizontal centering based on visual weight rather than precise character center. For example ()[]{} are all quite a bit off
* I’d recommend slightly increasing the weight of all the numbers and modifiers, to bring it closer to the weight of the letters.

I think the weight of the alphas and mods can be thicker.

It might look better getting the text weight closer to the thickness of the font of gmk keys.

It might make the letters pop more.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #842 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 05:26:40 »
Matt,

Have you gotten a price on the blue enter kit?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #843 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 05:39:26 »
Matt,

$9 at 25 (MOQ)
$7 at 50
$6 at 75

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #844 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 05:42:47 »
Matt,

$9 at 25 (MOQ)
$7 at 50
$6 at 75

Cool.  I hope it can make MOQ.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #845 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 09:33:56 »
New pause/break key like suggested by [I don't remember who...] DamienG

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 March 2014, 09:35:36 by Matt3o »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #846 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 09:38:01 »
Can you share the final Pro Icon Set, please?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #847 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 09:40:02 »

still working on it. I'll put everything on github

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #848 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 09:46:43 »

still working on it. I'll put everything on github

Thank you very much for the answer. I suppose we should use the previous links you shared, right?

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #849 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 13:45:12 »
New pause/break key like suggested by [I don't remember who...] DamienG

Show Image

Works out rather well. I like it :)

[)amien