Author Topic: [IC]New Original 'Panda' Linear Switch  (Read 98033 times)

Offline dPaK

Re: [IC]New Original 'Panda' Linear Switch
« Reply #550 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 08:52:05 »
I was super excited too, finally Panda back.. But I'm starting to doubt because 1$ or 1.5$ only for the housing, and who knows if the GB of halos when it comes will be the same.. at the end you will pay 3$+ for the switch.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #551 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 08:59:36 »
I was super excited too, finally Panda back.. But I'm starting to doubt because 1$ or 1.5$ only for the housing, and who knows if the GB of halos when it comes will be the same.. at the end you will pay 3$+ for the switch.

there already was a GB of the Halo on Massdrop and they were ~$.50 a switch.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #552 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 09:00:58 »
I think he would make much more profit with a competitive pricing.
Just look how many people won’t buy these switches because of the high price tag.
Communication is key in every group buy (in every business/ situation for that matter) because of that I can’t understand why SuperVan doesn’t take this seriously.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #553 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 09:02:58 »
There is obviously a disconnect in how people are viewing the pricing of these new pandas. A lot of people are looking at them from an aftermarket perspective, while others are viewing them from the POV of the original run. But let's face it, pandas were not middle of the pack linears, they are pretty ****ty linears. Everyone is suddenly looking at them through rose tinted hype lenses because of one mod. Zeal v2's are more tactile and sell at 75c per switch yet people are defending a switch that is less tactile and is a frankenswitch that goes for 1.50usd just for the housings, give me a break. Comparing them to market price is insane as well, by that logic TGR GB's should be running in the 700-900 dollar range, which they obviously don't.

What R&D did supervan do to bring these back? I suspect none. Nathan showed on his stream how bad the stock springs were and I have been talking to him on discord, I suspect that they are just stock BSUN springs due to how low quality they are. The plastic used for the new pandas is not exactly the same as the old pandas. It could be a similar formula used from a different supplier that has a similar color to the old pandas, but Im not 100% sold that they are the exact same plastic formula from the same supplier. The stems are remarkably rough, which makes sense since the panda stems were as well, but when you consider everything, pandas are basically modified BSUN's, and so are these switches, although to a lesser extent. They dont use a top housing with a custom logo and they most likely use stock BSUN springs. The material of the housing is probably different as well between the R2 and R1 pandas, R2 could very well have used a cheaper plastic mix for the housings than R1. So the cost of making these new pandas is probably less than the r1 pandas, which were at around 30c a switch from what I have heard. 

Which brings me to this:

For one thing, I ran a private GB in China for advertising panda switch. Actually pandas was not popular in China. You guys don't even know the limitation of private GB.

For another, it was a non-profit gb. Thanks for these guys' support and trust.  It ended before NK's stream. It means they need a lot of courage to support me before the confirmation. Considering the cost of molds and occupation of fund of spot goods, I can say it was a non-profit gb. If you guys can provide panda switches at a low price even as same a guy said at 0.2 dollar. I would like to thank him for his contribution. You can question the price, but not surmise by yourself.

What is more. Of course you guys have right to join of skip the GB. As the runner of GB, I also have right to price. I won't change the price. Don't compare the price with the price of China's private GB. It just hitted MOQ.

If you guys think 1.5 dollar is too expensive. The most correct way is helping me to advertise instead of attacking me. Then the price will be drop to 1 dollar. Attacking me won't change anything, the GB will run also.

At the last, I will show you guys a new pic. These boxes are filled up with new pandas. It means I will ship them soon after the GB ended.

Show Image

The chinese run was a promotional run? How come I couldn't get in with a proxy then? Oh right, I'm not a part of your QQ group. In fact, noone outside of your qq group could get in. I thought advertisement was about displaying a product to the public, not only for a select few; funny how that works. Plus 60c per switch, considering my above statements on your R&D, is already a nice profit margin. If anything, the chinese run was a private group buy for your friends so that they wouldn't have to pay flipper prices for mediocre linears. If the chinese run had a set price, then why do we have MOQ's?

You have also sent out samples to three of the biggest personalities in the western community, a community that knows fully well what pandas are, and you claim that there is not enough advertising? Are you serious? Your little rant about jesus and poor people is a meme now, congrats bud. This buy is the talk of the town, there is noone who doesn't know it, besides maybe people on r/mk and even then people there probably know about this.

Which brings me to your MOQ's. You bring it up so much that the MOQ for these switches are so restrictive, yet you paid for the chinese GB's amount of switches upfront? What? It just ended one day ago! That is unheard of and quite bizarre. Next, I'm going to be real with you, your MOQ's are made up. 25c price drops between the first 10k, but also for between 20k and 50k switches? How many switches did you buy upfront and at what price? In order for those MOQ prices to not have huge profit margins, the switches would have to cost around 1.35c each to make (have to consider logistical costs) at MOQ 10k. 1.05c at MOQ 20k, you get the idea. There is no way that these switches are costing you even 30c each to make, heck maybe not even 25c each to make. As I explained above, your R&D costs (if there were any, which is unlikely), would be way lower than R1 pandas, which costed around 30c each to make at lowest MOQ. The MOQ pricing structure for cherry, gateron, kailh, etc are nowhere near what you are suggesting for BSUN. Not even in the same solar system. How is it that the cost of these switches can drop 25c per for manufacturing when arrow sells retooled cherry switches for 35-27c each depending on MOQ?

If you have already bought the switches, then that means the only MOQ that is listed is the one that you have arbitrarily chosen. This isn't a standard GB, we don't collectively submit an order to BSUN for the switches, we are buying from you as you are a supplier, and that means that your MOQ's can be different than the manufacturer's MOQ's; further proving my point. 

You have quite literally become the panda day trader. You buy switches upfront instead of after the orders from the GB come in so that you can control the pricing via arbitrary MOQ's and so that you control the supply of new panda switches. You sell them at ridiculous prices with disgusting profit margins because some people in this community think that aftermarket price = GB pricing and can be suckered into your pricing hierarchy. Jesus have mercy on your soul, the panda all father has sinned!

tl;dr
- MOQ's are unrealistic when compared to other maufacturer's. MOQ's are also arbitrary since Van is acting as a supplier, there is no collective order to the maufacturer like in standard GB's.
- There was little to no R&D done by van. Springs are stock BSUN springs, plastic mix is different, logo is different and most likely uses a modified BSUN mold. This also means that his cost to produce was lower. For reference, the OG pandas costed around 30c each to make, including R&D costs.
- The chinese promotional run was treated as more of a private GB. It's stated intention of being for promotion is a straight up lie.
- To everyone defending the price points: Does that mean that GB pricing should now be based on aftermarket values of their designs? Should popular artisan makers start selling their designs for hundreds of dollars because thats what they go for aftermarket? Should popular board makers like TGR start selling boards for 700-900 usd because that is the aftermarket price of their boards? GB pricing should not be determined by after market pricing, it is a slippery slope leading to gauged out GB prices.

****ing this lol. Reason's why I'm skeptical about the pricing summed up in one post.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 09:03:36 »
because of that I can’t understand why SuperVan doesn’t take this seriously.

Because he's potentially got a monopoly on one of the most sought after & expensive switches on the market.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #555 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 09:08:16 »
because of that I can’t understand why SuperVan doesn’t take this seriously.

Because he's potentially got a monopoly on one of the most sought after & expensive switches on the market.
Even with a monopoly it’s necessary to communicate with and be polite to all potential buyers.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #556 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 09:19:36 »
Well duh, but when the money is there... I think some of it is lost in translation though.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 09:34:35 »
Moderation note:

This thread is being locked, as it appears the product advertised has already been made, and at this point no more useful feedback can be added for the development of the product in question or about its pricing (the OP has stated that the pricing will not change).  The discussion for this specific interest check has devolved into flaming and witch hunts and has very much run its course for anything productive.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -