Author Topic: [IC] Xiang Ming KSB Alps Clone Switches  (Read 6105 times)

Offline abrahamstechnology

[IC] Xiang Ming KSB Alps Clone Switches
« on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 12:39:25 »
I am considering running a USA group buy for Xiang Ming KSB switches. This will be my first group buy ever so I may make some mistakes.

Anyway, the switches are clicky and linear (KSB-C and KSB-LE) "The clicky switches are noted for being significantly stiffer than Alps and Fuhua switches, with strong tactility."

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Xiang_Min_KSB_series

I am just putting this out there to see how many would be interested in such a group buy, reply if interested.

Offline clickityClackity

Re: [IC] Xiang Ming KSB Alps Clone Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 13:04:01 »
So, similar to Amber Alps?

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 13:27:22 »
Huh, for a second there I thought that somebody managed to make a perfect clone of SKCM ALPS switches. I almost had an orgasm. But now, when I read the actual content, I'm in kind of a midplace; still excited, but unable to climax.

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 13:35:06 »
So, similar to Amber Alps?

I am not sure, but supposedly are good clickies (aside from some binding issues that can be fixed with lube)

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 15:56:30 »
Huh, for a second there I thought that somebody managed to make a perfect clone of SKCM ALPS switches. I almost had an orgasm. But now, when I read the actual content, I'm in kind of a midplace; still excited, but unable to climax.

So would you be interested?

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 17:37:57 »

I'd be interested in SKCM ALPS orange/blue/green high-quality clone

Of course, if anybody ever decides to do that, further improvements can be made in the same time (such as legs repositioning so that they fit in MX PCB-s).

Offline 1023andy

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 23:09:08 »
I thought alps switches were especially good tactile switches. Why don't you make tactile ones?

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 23:39:14 »

I'd be interested in SKCM ALPS orange/blue/green high-quality clone

Of course, if anybody ever decides to do that, further improvements can be made in the same time (such as legs repositioning so that they fit in MX PCB-s).
They don't fit into standard MX Plates, and I believe that accounting for the difference in  spacing of MX vs Alps contact points would require major modifications. Going off memory, Alps contact plate doesn't have the room to allow for the spacing that's used in MX switches.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 00:05:57 »
They don't fit into standard MX Plates, and I believe that accounting for the difference in  spacing of MX vs Alps contact points would require major modifications. Going off memory, Alps contact plate doesn't have the room to allow for the spacing that's used in MX switches.

You are correct, it is impossible to just move the pins and have it work as the pin would interfere with the slider(part with stem).

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 12:02:40 »
I thought alps switches were especially good tactile switches. Why don't you make tactile ones?

I'm not making them, I'm buying them in bulk...

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 16:45:09 »
I'd be down for a batch of the clickies if not a batch of both depending on pricing! :thumb:

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 19:08:08 »
I'd be down for a batch of the clickies if not a batch of both depending on pricing! :thumb:

Great! I'll see when if Xiang Ming gets back to me. Probably under $0.40 a switch

Offline rondg

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 23:59:17 »
Interested. But as always, atleast for me, depends on the price and timing.

Offline Blammy

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 18:23:37 »
I'm really glad that there is still an interest in keeping Alps alive   :thumb:     However, from what I've read, these switches weren't so great. They sound like good old machine gun hailstorm clicky Alps, but they use that annoying little skinny tactile leaf. Similar to Tai-Hao's blue APC switches, these XM switches aren't very consistent, and because of the narrow leaf, anytime you press a key that is slightly off center, the experience is apparently horrible. This is just from what I've read online, because those XM Duckys are kinda hard to find. They're not collectibles, just few and far between.

Have you tried contacting i-Rocks? They make a very interesting switch that hasn't gotten enough attention.  It's a hybrid that utilizes an Alps style wide click leaf with a Cherry mount slider (which might interest a lot more people), and an LED slot. There are 4 variants- it seems like stock tactile and linear are "silent." They're a small Taiwanese company, so there isn't a ton of info about them, at least not in English haha.

Deskthority:
https://deskthority.net/wiki/I-Rocks_switch

i-Rocks Alps Hybrid:
http://i-rocks.com/products/illuminated-mechanical-keyboard

Contact Info:
http://i-rocks.com/general-information

Edit: Pic...

« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2018, 18:37:06 by Blammy »

Offline fireworm

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 18:42:26 »
I'm really glad that there is still an interest in keeping Alps alive   :thumb:     However, from what I've read, these switches weren't so great. They sound like good old machine gun hailstorm clicky Alps, but they use that annoying little skinny tactile leaf. Similar to Tai-Hao's blue APC switches, these XM switches aren't very consistent, and because of the narrow leaf, anytime you press a key that is slightly off center, the experience is apparently horrible. This is just from what I've read online, because those XM Duckys are kinda hard to find. They're not collectibles, just few and far between.

Have you tried contacting i-Rocks? They make a very interesting switch that hasn't gotten enough attention.  It's a hybrid that utilizes an Alps style wide click leaf with a Cherry mount slider (which might interest a lot more people), and an LED slot. There are 4 variants- it seems like stock tactile and linear are "silent." They're a small Taiwanese company, so there isn't a ton of info about them, at least not in English haha.

Deskthority:

i-Rocks Alps Hybrid:

Contact Info:

Show Image

Not OP, but I tried contacting them, got "The spam filter installed on this site is currently unavailable. Per site policy, we are unable to accept new submissions until that problem is resolved. Please try resubmitting the form in a couple of minutes."...  Weird...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 18:47:40 »
XM ALPS are super underrated, and probably my favorite of the ALPS clones. They used to be very popular but have now kind of fallen off. I'd probably buy some if you ran a GB.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Blammy

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 19:37:57 »

Deskthority:

i-Rocks Alps Hybrid:

Contact Info:

Show Image

Not OP, but I tried contacting them, got "The spam filter installed on this site is currently unavailable. Per site policy, we are unable to accept new submissions until that problem is resolved. Please try resubmitting the form in a couple of minutes."...  Weird...

Huh that is really weird. I tried to look up their UK partner, because I thought it would be the easiest option for a contact based in an English speaking country. It doesn't seem to exist anymore  :-[