Author Topic: [IC] GMK | Aurora Polaris | NOW LIVE!  (Read 100685 times)

Offline S3LQ

• Designer and keyboard enthusiast
[IC] GMK | Aurora Polaris | NOW LIVE!
« on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 12:46:34 »

More
Swiftcables - Custom Coiled Cables

Press "more" to see product photos!

More

Rama.works- Custom Metal Keycap

More

Rocketcables- Custom Coiled Cables (Glow in the dark + LEMO)

More

FingersKC - Artisan Wrist Rest

More

GoldenStarKeycap - Artisan Keycap

More

mech_fashion - Themed Keyboard Sleeve

More

Artkey Universe - Artisan Keycap

Fraktal Kaps - Artisan Keycap

DeagCaps - Artisan Keycap

SodieCaps - Artisan Keycap

Lazycaps - Artisan Keycap

oTEMPE5To - Artisan Keycap Puller

More
More

More

More

More

More
- Got an illustrator working on the 2nd deskmat design
- Deciding upon which kits to run, this being heavily affected by the audiences shown interest in public and votes. (So make sure to fill the form)
- We are pretty set on the current collabs. Always open for more collabs, so if you have any suggestions, or if you want to provide anything please let us know!
- We are also waiting for some more collaborator product pictures, so we can provide you guys with that.
- Quotes to GMK has arrived, so we are working on setting a fair retail price.
- Last of all we are working on getting more realistic themed renders done.

More
Snurrebassen for Kit renders
Bachoo for board renders
Mechs & Co for great resources
Keycap Designer Discord for inputs
Collaborators for providing epic assents for the set
Bunny for pantone colortips

You can support this project by adding the following BB code to your signature! Thanks
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108831.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/cPBFbUx.png[/img]
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 December 2020, 11:25:21 by S3LQ »

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK | Aurora Polaris
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 12:48:54 »
Hey everyone! A discord has been made for updates regarding this and other projects I have.

I will still use this IC thread to keep you updated. But if you have any questions or similar, feel free to also ask in the discord!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 14:50:50 by S3LQ »

Offline Capsy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 12:50:57 »
Looks nice.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 12:56:35 »

This has to be the fastes Set to be ever made

Looks dope and GLWIC!

Offline sourmk

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 12:59:25 »
Nice work
Some Work: GMK Wasabi | GMK Pono | GMK Dandy | ePBT DuO | GMK Hooty | Petals Sixty

Some Collabs: ePBT Ivory | GMK Deep Navy | GMK Fundamentals | GMK Polybius | GMK Blurple | GMK Deepwell | GMK Fuji | GMK Pacific

Some Boards: Daji Seis Cinco, Ocho Quattro, Seis Cero | MatrixLab 2.0 ADD + CP, 2.0 Xmas + CP, 1.2OG | Keycult 1/60 | Hiney Ladybird | QXP | Noxary 268.2

Discord - https://discord.gg/j3PxfJ4rBC | Instagram - https://instagram.com/sourmk | Web - https://www.sourmk.com/

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:03:27 »
nice gmk terminal

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:05:48 »
Nice work
Show Image

Hey! I'm aware GMK Wasabi is similar to my design but I've gone through color matching and found a different, more brighter, and neon ish color to fit my Aurora theme and to be different from wasabi. I do also not provide any sub-legends

Offline sourmk

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:07:46 »
Nice work
Show Image

Hey! I'm aware GMK Wasabi is similar to my design but I've gone through color matching and found a different, more brighter, and neon ish color to fit my Aurora theme and to be different from wasabi. I do also not provide any sub-legends
Show Image

So if I wanted to run Wasabi with no subs, I'd be ripping you off now?
Would have been proper of you to be like, hey doing this.. But who cares about being proper, right?
Some Work: GMK Wasabi | GMK Pono | GMK Dandy | ePBT DuO | GMK Hooty | Petals Sixty

Some Collabs: ePBT Ivory | GMK Deep Navy | GMK Fundamentals | GMK Polybius | GMK Blurple | GMK Deepwell | GMK Fuji | GMK Pacific

Some Boards: Daji Seis Cinco, Ocho Quattro, Seis Cero | MatrixLab 2.0 ADD + CP, 2.0 Xmas + CP, 1.2OG | Keycult 1/60 | Hiney Ladybird | QXP | Noxary 268.2

Discord - https://discord.gg/j3PxfJ4rBC | Instagram - https://instagram.com/sourmk | Web - https://www.sourmk.com/

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:08:25 »
nice gmk terminal
Also color matched with gmk terminal to make it different.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:10:58 »
Nice work
Show Image

Show Image

After doing my matching with other sets I found big enough differences to not reach out to the other creators because I felt like that was not needed. If this is something you take to heart and do not like, feel free to send me a direct message and we can talk this through

So if I wanted to run Wasabi with no subs, I'd be ripping you off now?
Would have been proper of you to be like, hey doing this.. But who cares about being proper, right?

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:11:52 »
Lol didn't know wasabi or whatever was the owner of green on black. Nice set btw, love the novelties.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:14:07 »
Lol didn't know wasabi or whatever was the owner of green on black. Nice set btw, love the novelties.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I understand he can see similarities, but claiming a colorway is different. I appreciate your support!

Offline Balloz

• Hardcore keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:18:17 »
God job! <3

Offline Baionlenja

• +B
    • www.baionlenja.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:22:04 »
Keyboard hobby speedrun  :eek:

Offline sourmk

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:30:05 »
My issue with you is more along the lines of the fact that you run a designer discord, and have written up a guide to IC's, yet you couldn't do a quick DM, and been like hey I'm running this. I do not claim colorway ownership, let's calm down. There is a proper way to conduct yourself though, considering the double-edged sword you are putting out into the hobby.

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:30:52 »
reserved

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:33:48 »
My issue with you is more along the lines of the fact that you run a designer discord, and have written up a guide to IC's, yet you couldn't do a quick DM, and been like hey I'm running this. I do not claim colorway ownership, let's calm down. There is a proper way to conduct yourself though, considering the double-edged sword you are putting out into the hobby.
Don't want any misunderstanding nor arguments going. But I do not own any sort of designer discord, but you are right. Contacting you is something I should've done beforehand!

Offline NoThankYou

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:36:25 »
Looks amazing!

Offline Swishy

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:39:28 »
Small correction I own the designer discord and run it and I wrote the guide.

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:10:33 »
Looks great.  I think you did right not asking for permission, there is absolutely 0 reason its needed.

Color nazi's seriously need to go f off.

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:20:48 »
I like the concept and I like the way the set looks, but I don't feel like the set reflects the theme. Given the name "Aurora Borealis" I honestly was expecting shades of green, blue, and purple.

You may also want to fix your form, currently you can only select one additional kit you'd like to see added

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:22:50 by dklein »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:21:42 »
I won't be joining as I don't like GMK caps, but I think the green you've chosen is super nice.

I'd like to see Sour's patent for the concept of green on black, especially since as pointed out, sets such as GMK Terminal and DCS Midnight existed first.

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:24:42 by eskimojo »

Offline Capsy

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:23:19 »
I won't be joining as I don't like GMK caps, but I think the green you've chosen is super nice.

I'd like to see Sour's patent for the concept of green on black, especially since as pointed out, Terminal existed first.
Terminal was green on dark grey, bro.

Offline sourmk

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:25:05 »
Blowing this way out of proportion. When I ran a set that looked like other sets, I reached out to let them know. Not see the IC, be surprised by it, and screw other designers. Terminal was green on grey. These are both green on black. So slightly more similar. Would have been nice and respectful to get a little DM. Not a big ask.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:25:11 »

I'd like to see Sour's patent for the concept of green on black, especially since as pointed out, Terminal existed first.
N9 is just light black and I will stand by that opinion

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:26:22 »
I like the concept and I like the way the set looks, but I don't feel like the set reflects the theme. Given the name "Aurora Borealis" I honestly was expecting shades of green, blue, and purple.

Show Image

You may also want to fix your form, currently you can only select one additional kit you'd like to see added

Show Image

Hey! The set is self will be fairly basic, but with the additional deskmats (working on an illustrated one) where the assents will bring the theme even further. But thanks for the heads up on the sheets, will fix!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:35:33 by S3LQ »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:32:09 »
Blowing this way out of proportion. When I ran a set that looked like other sets, I reached out to let them know. Not see the IC, be surprised by it, and screw other designers. Terminal was green on grey. These are both green on black. So slightly more similar. Would have been nice and respectful to get a little DM. Not a big ask.

With all due respect, you also could have sent a little DM instead of calling out someone on a public forum.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:34:51 »

With all due respect, you also could have sent a little DM instead of calling out someone on a public forum.
Me and Sour have talked in DM's and we've fixed the situation. No difficulties and I'll keep on with the set  :thumb:

Offline L8T

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 14:43:39 »
I agree with dklein, there are not enough colors in this set to portray auroras. Even a blue or purple accent kit will fix that tho, so gl with the run :)

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:08:06 »
Mykeyboard.eu is now our official EU vendor!

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:14:23 »
Well first off, while I am not really a buyer because GMK, but great work once again S3LQ.

While I agree with dklein, I also feel like the real deal for the theme would be a gradient set :)

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:15:13 »
I agree with dklein, there are not enough colors in this set to portray auroras. Even a blue or purple accent kit will fix that tho, so gl with the run :)
Thanks for the feedback. I've gotten some requests to bring in more colors. So will be looking into adding an accent kit with fitting colors!

Offline Voidec

• Tip of the Spear
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:16:20 »
amazing colors and design, I'm all in

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 19:49:05 »
Very very excited for this set.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 20:00:33 »
Why are all the nice minimal-looking sets all dark-color based :(

Love the color choice. But don't love the black base.

Offline JRWJR

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 21:53:40 »
Kinda of reminds me of dcs midnight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Offline psxndc

[IC] GMK | Aurora Polaris
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 23:08:14 »
Not gonna happen with GMK's MOQ, but some funky alphas (Icelandic?) would be a fun addition.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 00:13:50 »

N9 is just light black and I will stand by that opinion

Everyone relax.

Offline uxxsam

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 00:31:04 »
Aka GMK Hammerhead

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 00:36:56 »
Aka GMK Hammerhead
fairly big difference

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 01:06:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Well first off, while I am not really a buyer because GMK, but great work once again S3LQ.

While I agree with dklein, I also feel like the real deal for the theme would be a gradient set :)

I feel like this set is just asking for gradient legends, even just different shades of green if you were particularly attached to the color. As it stands right now, there just isn't enough color for it to be based on auroras in my opinion

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 01:11:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

I feel like this set is just asking for gradient legends, even just different shades of green if you were particularly attached to the color. As it stands right now, there just isn't enough color for it to be based on auroras in my opinion
Working on an accent kit, got some renders ready but need to work a bit more on the colors!

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 01:13:45 »
Working on an accent kit, got some renders ready but need to work a bit more on the colors!

That's awesome; the deskmat is amazing by the way

Offline yui

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 01:21:58 »
Depending on the finances at the time of the groupbuy would buy a base kit with iso and deskmat, nice color way, i like that green much better than wasabi
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 01:56:59 »
v nice

Offline hark

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 02:10:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

I agree with dkline, I'd like to see maybe purple or blue colours, I'm not sure how though. Either way this set looks great!

Offline riku.

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 05:07:11 »
which board is that in the first render?

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 05:52:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Working on adding a purple/pink ish color and maybe a blue ish color to an additional accent kit!

I agree with dkline, I'd like to see maybe purple or blue colours, I'm not sure how though. Either way this set looks great!

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 05:56:05 »

Calm your tits, its not the same set, and he is not stealing from you. Whats this turning to, "oh youre running a gmk set so you are copying gmk wasabi".
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline VXQN

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 06:06:19 »
Pretty sure GMK's CR is owned exclusively by drop for their WoB sets. Have you cleared this with the designer of that set?

/s

Set looks nice! I like the colour and think it fits the theme well (not every set needs loads of colours) but personally I think the novelties need a little work.