Author Topic: [NQAIC] Cardboard Keycap Set  (Read 3762 times)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
[NQAIC] Cardboard Keycap Set
« on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 22:12:09 »
I don’t know where the inspiration for this design came from, but this set is dedicated to the hero of the shipping world: the box.  I am calling this a Not-Quite-An-Interest-Check, or an interest check for an interest check, because I don’t know if anyone can produce this color and I don’t know anything about vector graphics.  I lack the skills to make this a viable production design and I don’t know how well it would translate to an actual set.  Perhaps this post belongs in the Keycaps forum instead of the Interest Check forum.  But, if there is enough interest in this design, perhaps someone would like to collaborate to make it a viable production design, or pick up where I left off and take this the rest of the way.  I would like to see this set in Cherry profile, but nothing is set in stone.  I would prefer to not have SA produce this in DCS, as I would like thicker keycaps, although, I don't think it would meet MOQ as a GMK set.  I also have no preference regarding doubleshot ABS or dye-sub PBT.

Novelty keys include 1.25u bottom row keys (Fragile: it must be Italian), a recycle symbol for the OS key, function keys, a box symbol escape key, a Handle With Care enter key, and a This Side Up backspace key.  The highlight of the novelty keys is the space bar for people who have trouble discerning the proper space bar orientation.  I call it the sh*t starter.

117404-0

I also have a concept for an artisan key I call Click-in-a-Box.
117406-1

117408-2

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: [NQAIC] Cardboard Keycap Set
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 22:23:40 »
This is kind of a cool idea.

On the PBT side of things, SP has TT which is similar to the color in your mockup. You may want to pick up some individual color chips from the PMK store to see them in person.

Here's a post of some of the ABS tan shades as well: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45743.msg960748#msg960748

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 22:49:46 »
I think you've got "this side up" printed upside-down on the spacebar mockup :P

I think it's a very interesting concept, but I don't know how well it would translate to an actual set.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:01:49 »
Oh ha, I didn't even notice the spacebar was flipped. That's a nice touch.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:45:22 »
Can't really picture how this would look irl but it reminds me of Danbo which I'm down for lol.

Will check for updates.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 01:01:40 »
I like this concept, hopefully someone steps up and you can collaborate, or else just keep running with it and you could do it yourself.

The problem with profiles is that the spacebar concept will only work with SP's DCS or Cherry. DSA and SA profile spacebars are symmetrical.  Andwhile GMK can do custom legends, I'm not sure the cost. Usually a GMK set doesn't have "novelties" as such. JTK may be a possible manufacturer, but it's best to chat with the guys at [CTRL]ALT about that, from what I've gathered JTK have a full queue right now. So you may be stuck with DCS for this. SP can do dyesub PBT in DCS profile.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:27:22 »
I think you've got "this side up" printed upside-down on the spacebar mockup :P

You made me do a double take.  :)  But, no, it is printed correctly.  I figure this set provides a good opportunity to educate people.  It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

I like this concept, hopefully someone steps up and you can collaborate, or else just keep running with it and you could do it yourself.

The problem with profiles is that the spacebar concept will only work with SP's DCS or Cherry. DSA and SA profile spacebars are symmetrical.  Andwhile GMK can do custom legends, I'm not sure the cost. Usually a GMK set doesn't have "novelties" as such. JTK may be a possible manufacturer, but it's best to chat with the guys at [CTRL]ALT about that, from what I've gathered JTK have a full queue right now. So you may be stuck with DCS for this. SP can do dyesub PBT in DCS profile.

This set faces many challenges, chief among them being that if there is no color that closely approximates cardboard, the concept falls apart in actual execution.  I have no experience with SP's dye-sub PBT but I think that dye-sub could be an excellent aesthetic choice for this set.  I would not be averse to JTK doing this set but I didn't mention them because it seems that their schedule will be pretty full for the foreseeable future.  This set may just be fated to be a novel idea that never materialized.  Or this set may just have to wait until the right materials, manufacturing process, and market comes along.