Author Topic: Keyboard pixel art things.  (Read 1419906 times)

Offline RiGS

Keyboard pixel art things.
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 15:45:36 »
Looks great! Thanks!

Edit:
Could you make the bottom corners a little bit rounder like on this picture of litster?
Also I think the top and the bottom of the case is a bit wider, but that is just probably niggling.

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2011, 16:01:48 by RiGS »
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline r4pture

« Reply #301 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 16:12:09 »
Still waiting on one of you extremely talented people to put out an IBM M2 or Omnikey 101.  I just the DIN-to-PS/2 dongle for my Omnikey and I'm on it now, wanna show off via sig :D
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic12085_2.gif[/sigpic]
~ Dell AT101W~ ~ ~ ~IBM Model M2~ ~ ~Northgate Omnikey 101 ~

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #302 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 16:26:50 »
Quote from: RiGS;383497
Looks great! Thanks!

Edit:
Could you make the bottom corners a little bit rounder like on this picture of litster?
Also I think the top and the bottom of the case is a bit wider, but that is just probably niggling.

Show Image
It's a little picky but I see what you mean.  There isn't a lot of room to play at this level, it's literally a pixel here or there but I took a shot, see what you think.  I like that look, maybe it's a bad idea me looking at these images, could be headed for more trouble with the wife if it ends up prompting me to buy more keyboards...

Offline RiGS

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 16:31:24 »
That is absolutely perfect! Thanks.
You know, resistance is futile! :)

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 16:45:43 »
Quote from: RiGS;383528
That is absolutely perfect! Thanks.
You know, resistance is futile! :)

Darn, I tried to anticipate your next request and modified the top.  Guess you're not as picky as I was prepared to give you credit for, :biggrin:  I'll post it anyway, use whichever you like best.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #305 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 17:01:43 »
LOL, I just didn't want to look rapacious or disrespectful, so I started to play with paint and tried to add a line of RGB (221,223,222), but you made my day.

Indeed I'm super picky. This is exactly how this Realforce 87U pixel art should look like. :thumb:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2011, 17:12:33 by RiGS »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 17:10:22 »
Quote from: RiGS;383537
LOL, I just didn't want to look rapacious, so I started to play with paint and tried to add a line of RGB (221,223,222), but you made my day.
Indeed I'm super picky. :thumb:

Big words, hurt brain, :wacko: Must watch TV, make more simple, :smile:

YW

Offline RiGS

« Reply #307 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 17:30:54 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;383533
Darn, I tried to anticipate your next request and modified the top.  Guess you're not as picky as I was prepared to give you credit for, :biggrin:

How about adding a line of shade to the bottom of the case? :biggrin:

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #308 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 17:31:34 »
Quote from: RiGS;383563
How about adding a line of shade to the bottom of the case?
I'm gonna have to hurt you... :wink:

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 17:55:55 »
Quote from: RiGS;383563
How about adding a line of shade to the bottom of the case?
I'm gonna have to hurt you... :wink:

Yes I could.  Let me know if you're serious.  I'm assuming you're not.  Just cause the picture looks that way due to lighting I don't think means the pixel art version necessarily needs to look that way.  But on the other hand it's a matter of interpretation I guess.  Might be a good chance for you to try it yourself as I'm doing.  I have yet to do one totally myself but gearing up to it a bit at a time and waiting for a big enough block of time.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 18:03:15 »
Just kidding. Perfection is unobtainable. I could simply point out that the keycaps miss the lettering and shades as well, but that would ruin the whole point of the art.

I appreciate your time and help.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 18:56:25 »
Quote from: RiGS;383581
Just kidding. Perfection is unobtainable. I could simply point out that the keycaps miss the lettering and shades as well, but that would ruin the whole point of the art.

I appreciate your time and help.
Figured you had to be kidding, hah.
They actually have some shading, on the bottom.
Perfection is unobtainable although can't convince my wife of that.
No lettering, kinda hard to pull off with 6 pixel (2x3) key tops.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 19:08:57 »
Look what a huge progress we made here.

-->>

Just a few pixels here and there can make all the difference.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #313 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 21:29:48 »
Quote from: iMav;383056
A Kinesis Advantage would be cool (mine is black).I'll have to post pics of my HHKB.  If you could replicate my color scheme, that would be great!
I took a shot at a black Kinesis Advantage.
Probably should have tried something easier my first time out.
Here is the result.  If anyone can improve, go for it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2011, 21:33:32 by TexasFlood »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #314 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 21:34:33 »
A Kinesis Advantage would be cool (mine is black).I'll have to post pics of my HHKB.  If you could replicate my color scheme, that would be great!

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #315 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 21:50:11 »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #316 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 21:59:14 »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:06:59 »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:12:41 »

I took a shot at a black Kinesis Advantage. Probably should have tried something easier my first time out. Here is the result.  If anyone can improve, go for it.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #319 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:21:29 »
I took a shot at a black Kinesis Advantage. Probably should have tried something easier my first time out. Here is the result.  If anyone can improve, go for it.  iMav, if you post, or link to perhaps an existing post, of your HHKB color scheme, I can do that one as well.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #320 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:39:00 »

I took a shot at a black Kinesis Advantage. Probably should have tried something easier my first time out. Here is the result.  If anyone can improve, go for it.  iMav, if you post, or link to perhaps an existing post, of your HHKB color scheme, I can do that one as well.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:54:24 »

Note, removed obsolete attachment, see update below.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:50:20 by TexasFlood »

Offline sordna

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:14:13 »
Wow, very nice!!!
Alright, I took your excellent work and added some curviness around the edges, and the missing Shift keys :-)
I'll work on it some more later.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21477[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:03:25 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #323 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:19:09 »
Off topic:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20103-Shopping-in-Japan

I will update this thread for those who are interested.
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #324 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:23:45 »
Kinesis Contoured pixel art! You guys are PIMP!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:24:44 »
Quote from: sordna;383806
Wow, very nice!!!
Alright, I took your excellent work and added some curviness around the edges, and the missing Shift keys :-)
I'll work on it some more later.

Thanks. Shift key was a miss, not sure how I missed that. Attaching the original with that fixed.  Your version is cool, just fixing my broke sh_t, :wink:

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:49:32 by TexasFlood »

Offline sordna

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:36:45 »
I edited my image above, to add LED's.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #327 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:46:10 »
Quote from: sordna;383820
I edited my image above, to add LED's.

Thanks again.  My old eyes can't even see the LEDs without pressing my nose against the screen but accuracy is good.  I took the liberty of adding a tweak to yours I'd already added to mine, lightening the function keys just a bit so they show up better.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:55:38 by TexasFlood »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:48:18 »
I gotta cut the Kinesis in 2 halves.

And then get Datahand pixel art.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:57:16 »
Quote from: input nirvana;383825
I gotta cut the Kinesis in 2 halves.

And then get Datahand pixel art.
Draw a Datahand! If I can try a Kinesis Advantage, you can try a Datahand! :thumb:

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #330 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 23:59:57 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;383829
Draw a Datahand! If I can try a Kinesis Advantage, you can try a Datahand! :thumb:

I'll draw Mila Kunis first...THEN a Datahand.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:01:34 »
Quote from: input nirvana;383832
I'll draw Mila Kunis first...THEN a Datahand.
Animate a "That 70s Show" episode with pixel art sprites & see where red sticks his sprite foot.

Offline sordna

« Reply #332 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:01:50 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;383823
Thanks again.  My old eyes can't even see the LEDs without pressing my nose against the screen but accuracy is good.  I took the liberty of adding a tweak to yours I'd already added to mine, lightening the function keys just a bit so they show up better.

Good. I now added a border so that the edges will be visible if you use it as a sig, since the body color was almost exactly the same as the GH background... look at my post #302 near the top of the page, to see what I mean.
Edit: also made a minor tweak to the bottom corner of the backspace/delete/enter/space buttons.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21485[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:16:56 by sordna »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:18:22 »
Geez, I go out of town for a day or two for work, and you guys pull out all the stops!

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #334 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:21:11 »
Quote from: sordna;383834
Good. I now added a border so that the edges will be visible if you use it as a sig, since the body color was almost exactly the same as the GH background... look at my post #302 near the top of the page, to see what I mean.

I don't use the black background so didn't think of that. Added a border and your LEDs to the original as well. Gotta put the image into test with black background. Including your key tweak, and you're right about the top curve.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 10:46:27 by TexasFlood »

Offline sordna

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:29:39 »
Yeah, my border is darker.
Ok, I think we should converge our efforts though, is there a change I made that you disagree with? Feel free to improve upon my version, as I did with yours, no need to maintain 2 branches of this code :-)

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #336 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:45:17 »
Quote from: sordna;383844
Yeah, my border is darker.
Ok, I think we should converge our efforts though, is there a change I made that you disagree with? Feel free to improve upon my version, as I did with yours, no need to maintain 2 branches of this code :-)
Hah. I'm done for now, no energy left for tonight. I just wanted to get the original branch solid but don't think check any more updates. Thanks for the improvements.  In fact to avoid confusion, think I'm going to delete some of my earlier versions.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 00:47:43 by TexasFlood »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 02:07:33 »
Quote from: Arcanius;382570
As much as people may hate you, you're damn right. You have tons of great wiki articles. :3

People don't hate Ripster, they misunderstand themselves.

Offline sordna

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 02:59:34 »
Further changes:
- Reduced the bottom curviness (only the top really has it)
- Positioned the outer function keys a little lower, to follow the top curve
- Grouped the the thumb keys closer together

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21499[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 03:29:30 by sordna »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 12:06:25 »
Quote from: Oqsy;380997
I'll try to do an XT this weekend.
I was going to mention that one as one that was lacking.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 12:10:32 »
Quote from: sordna;383883
Further changes:
- Reduced the bottom curviness (only the top really has it)
- Positioned the outer function keys a little lower, to follow the top curve
- Grouped the the thumb keys closer together
Cool.  I didn't make any changes last night but this morning looked at some pictures and you're right about the top curve so fixed that since mine was inaccurate that way.  Not intentionally perpetuating the two versions but both wanted mine to be accurate and didn't really want to make changes on yours without checking.  Anyway I think they're good now.  If I were to change mine it would be to make the curved edges look smoother, I tried but the results weren't perfect.  Maybe there is just so much you can do when you get down to single pixels, :wink:

Offline sordna

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 12:18:46 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;384092
Cool.  I didn't make any changes last night but this morning looked at some pictures and you're right about the top curve so fixed that since mine was inaccurate that way.  Not intentionally perpetuating the two versions but both wanted mine to be accurate and didn't really want to make changes on yours without checking.  Anyway I think they're good now.  If I were to change mine it would be to make the curved edges look smoother, I tried but the results weren't perfect.  Maybe there is just so much you can do when you get down to single pixels, :wink:

Well, "mine" is not really mine, it's based on yours :-)  The initial picture is the hardest, and you did a brilliant job on it, especially with the placement of the outer key columns, and the two-tone black, amazing! I just did a few touch-ups, it helps having the actual keyboard too !

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #342 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 12:25:40 »
Quote from: sordna;384098
Well, "mine" is not really mine, it's based on yours :-)  The initial picture is the hardest, and you did a brilliant job on it, especially with the placement of the outer key columns, and the two-tone black, amazing! I just did a few touch-ups, it helps having the actual keyboard too !
Sure, see I don't have one so just going off of googled pictures, input from an actual owner is wonderful.  I wasn't sure at first how to tackle a predominately black keyboard.  Tried to make the keys as dark as I could which still visible and attempted to color the bezel slightly differently to show the indents around the main key clusters.  Wasn't sure how successful the latter was, it's hard to even notice it when viewed at actual size but I think it all contributes to the overall look even if it's not so obvious.  It's like the best special effects many times it isn't even obvious that they are special effects. Glad my efforts weren't wasted. Have to see what iMav thinks of it as I think he requested it earlier in the thread.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 12:31:56 »
Quote from: sordna;384098
Sure, see I don't have one so just going off of googled pictures, input from an actual owner is wonderful.  The updated versions are a marked improvement due to your input.

I wasn't sure at first how to tackle a predominately black keyboard.  Tried to make the keys as dark as I could which still visible and attempted to color the bezel slightly differently to show the indents around the main key clusters.  Wasn't sure how successful the latter was, it's hard to even notice it when viewed at actual size but I think it all contributes to the overall look even if it's not so obvious.  It's like the best special effects many times it isn't even obvious that they are special effects.

Have to see what iMav thinks of it as I think he requested it earlier in the thread.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 12:40:38 »
Of course, when it comes to the Model F XT, it's not as if I have to wait.

Still, I want to congratulate the original poster on his beautiful images. I'm glad to have a little "competition", although except for this image, I don't think I will try to directly compete with him... I'll stick to my larger scale diagrams.

Since I included the brown Model F knobs on the side, instead of a black background around the keyboard, the GIF should have a transparent background. My usual paint program doesn't do that, but it's easy enough to add that final touch in another one. Also, there was a mistake in the diagram as I originally uploaded it, but here is the corrected one:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21550[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 13:05:52 by quadibloc »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 13:01:31 »
Someone want to do my PLU and my HHKB?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21542[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21543[/ATTACH]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 14:02:41 »
Man, you guys have been busy on here. A Kinesis Contoured? Whoa.

Here's the blue-keyed 87U with a tweaked front lip for better accuracy:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21556[/ATTACH]

Too tired for anything major right now.
Quote from: ripster;383637
But does it meet Microsoft icon standards?

Being someone who's *****ed about lousy icons before (that was early 2008, no idea how old the MSDN document is), this article gets my stamp of approval.

(And to answer the question, it's not a complete icon set to begin with, so who cares.)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #347 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 14:05:07 »
Quote from: iMav;384130
Someone want to do my PLU and my HHKB?
Wow that Kinesis Contour in your signature sure looks a lot bigger than the GHSS, but that's probably because it really is a lot bigger.

iMav, I took a shot at modifying/coloring an existing HHKB from earlier in the thread.  I also adapted a PLU ML-87 and colored it, hopefully that works.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2011, 10:35:06 by TexasFlood »

Offline sordna

Kinesis Advantage White
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 16:25:34 »
Since I have both black and white ones, can't leave the latter be left out:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21570[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2011, 16:29:10 by sordna »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #349 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 16:34:49 »
Quote from: sordna;384240
Since I have both black and white ones, can't leave the latter be left out:
Nice :thumb: