Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 295150 times)

Offline gnhuy91

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 01:14:28 »
it depends, I dont like the git kit thus I will get monochrome kit+ cadet

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 03:03:36 »
No idea if it’s mentioned before. But perhaps;
1) base with git mods and grey alpha’s (like it is now)
2) base with monochrome mods and hagoromo alpha’s

For the price or 2 base kits you’d have every possible combination :P

Although, if there is a lot of demand for complete monochrome this would not benefit those people’s wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 03:32:12 »

Although, if there is a lot of demand for complete monochrome this would not benefit those people’s wallet.

This was suggested before by me, otanishock and possibly others. Didn’t seem to get any traction though.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline BserLarry

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 03:32:53 »
I’m 100% in this set only because I can have a cheaper price with the git hub base kit

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #404 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 06:19:00 »

This was suggested before by me, otanishock and possibly others. Didn’t seem to get any traction though.

Too lazy to read through 9 pages, thx for the slap to the face though ;) :D

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 07:13:23 »
Just my two cents and I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I'm not going back through all the pages.

Two base kits doesn't make sense and it didn't work very well for a certain other drop either. I use git but I'm not a fan of having those as the only other colored mods kit, another colored mods kit like v1 without git commands would be awesome. The monochrome base would work better as a base kit so you could accessorize with git mods, colored mods, white alphas and so on.

Why does the assembly kit include the git mods with no option for the monochrome mods?

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #406 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 08:54:00 »

Too lazy to read through 9 pages, thx for the slap to the face though ;) :D

Eh. Will probably still support the final version of whatever base that Oblotzky decides to keep.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Chimera

« Reply #407 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 10:49:45 »
I'm for sure in for Git Base and Cadets.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 11:05:05 »
Why does the assembly kit include the git mods with no option for the monochrome mods?

#1 Those are ASM legends #2 because 40/ergo/ortho already struggles MOQ's, so I'll focus on the Oblivion colorway for those.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #409 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 11:54:28 »
Could colored, non-Git legends please be added as an option?

I'm fine with it as part of a base kit or separately, as long as it's available. From reading through this thread, it seems like there's enough interest to warrant support for colored non-Git legends in this run.

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:05:44 »
I am in for sure. It would be nice to have 2u shift with spacebars kit just like jamon.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:06:46 »
Are we serious about these 2 base kits? Didn't we learn anything from the GMK Carbon R2?

This second kit is totally pointless. Kits were totally fine so i stopped to follow the IC, but now this... Oblotzky this will just split the moq and increase the price.
You know the Git Base Kit is far more popular and the second kit is also way too similar to the Modern Dolch without accents which happened recently.

Not sure why this decision, but i hope you can change mind. Even a monochrome double base kit is a bad decision (every double base kit is a bad decision) but it would be less pointless than this. 

Show Image

I agree with this and the few other commentors after that said similar things.

In my opinion multiple base kits is not a good call. Yes this sets on massdrop and yes it's got a huge reputation/popularity behind it but in my personal opinion it's still not a good idea to have multiple base kits.

You can't please everyone.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline LazerCat

« Reply #412 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:15:30 »
I'm kinda bummed out by the fact that this is going to be run through massdrop. Those custom fees always hit me hard.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:38:15 »
I'm kinda bummed out by the fact that this is going to be run through massdrop. Those custom fees always hit me hard.

definitely more people joining through MD, the prices will be cheaper than other vendors. So it might just even out.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #414 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:49:01 »

definitely more people joining through MD, the prices will be cheaper than other vendors. So it might just even out.

Was about to say this. Chances are that due to lower pricing through higher MOQ's it'll even out with the custom fees. And if those are flat, then people ordering multiple base kits will even profit more from it.

Offline LazerCat

« Reply #415 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 13:24:12 »
You're right. I didn't take that into account. Looking forward to the group buy! :thumb:

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #416 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 14:15:47 »
Just replace the second base kit with an external monochrome modifiers kit so the base kit is not crazy as hell in price. 

Offline crzone

« Reply #417 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 14:30:51 »
I still don't get the point of including the Git modifiers in the base set if this kit is supposed to be IDE theme based rather than Git based. I mean they are fine for a novelties kit, but why are they in the base set? And if they are meant to stay, what's wrong with offering the colored modifiers from R1 and the SA set as an optional kit?

Offline megaforce

« Reply #418 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:08:01 »
ne iso punjabi minivan support avial?
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:10:47 by megaforce93 »
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #419 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:11:16 »
ne iso turkish minivan support avial?

Damn I knew I forgot something vital  :-[ , will be there with next update!  :thumb:  :-*

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #420 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:28:48 »
I still don't get the point of including the Git modifiers in the base set if this kit is supposed to be IDE theme based rather than Git based. I mean they are fine for a novelties kit, but why are they in the base set? And if they are meant to stay, what's wrong with offering the colored modifiers from R1 and the SA set as an optional kit?

Nothing "wrong" with it persay I think the worry as always is just splitting up the buyers making all kits harder to hit MOQ and more expensive. He's mentioned earlier in the thread he wants to maintain a good relationship with GMK and they prefer less kits if possible I think.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #421 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:36:59 »

Nothing "wrong" with it persay I think the worry as always is just splitting up the buyers making all kits harder to hit MOQ and more expensive. He's mentioned earlier in the thread he wants to maintain a good relationship with GMK and they prefer less kits if possible I think.

Think you misunderstood. Just that less kits is to be preferred with GMK as it favors pricing. If you want to see what splitting up everything does to pricing, check out GMK Retro on Massdrop, the pricing sheet is still up. I want to design this round so that most people buy 1 base and 2 addons at most (e.g. git base + hagoromo alphas + spacekeys, or git base + alternate function row + cadet alphas)

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #422 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:43:11 »

Think you misunderstood. Just that less kits is to be preferred with GMK as it favors pricing. If you want to see what splitting up everything does to pricing, check out GMK Retro on Massdrop, the pricing sheet is still up. I want to design this round so that most people buy 1 base and 2 addons at most (e.g. git base + hagoromo alphas + spacekeys, or git base + alternate function row + cadet alphas)

My apologies on the misunderstanding. That makes sense what you're going for. I am surprised about the decision to have a second base kit though.

Offline kakiharaOne

« Reply #423 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 15:43:48 »
I passed on v1 bc I wanted to wait for SA. Come to find out, I prefer GMK. I’m just happy this is running again!

Will def be in for Git base + Hagoromo.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #424 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 16:18:47 »
Is the timeline for the GB, very soon, or soon sooon?

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #425 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 16:24:09 »

From the OP: New GMK Oblivion on Massdrop end of Q2 2019

Still have a while before this drops

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 16:27:49 »

From the OP: New GMK Oblivion on Massdrop end of Q2 2019

Still have a while before this drops

Thanks! sorry missed it.. :confused: and that's cool, still some time to stock up/in the wallet :)

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 20:19:55 »

My apologies on the misunderstanding. That makes sense what you're going for. I am surprised about the decision to have a second base kit though.

For those who wants to just outfit Monochrome Oblivion look, the current second base set is better proposition than buying the main base set + Monochrome Mod kit.
Whether we collectively come out ahead with one or two base sets, I think it boils down to how many people belong to the above exact scenario, cannibalizing the main base set MoQ, therefore price break reach.  It's hard to tell without knowing the order numbers.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #428 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 01:33:32 »
any updates on which month will this be on MD?

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #429 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 09:20:13 »

Around June of 2019, according to the man himself (Oblotzky).

Offline quad_h

« Reply #430 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 10:26:59 »
Yeah Im in !

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #431 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 11:06:25 »
Yes. I'm in definitely.
Please make it quick.
Can't wait for its coming.

Offline Krakyn

« Reply #432 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 19:07:29 »
Oblotzky, can you please consider adding a stepped version of the R3 Control key in the Monochrome Base Kit? No abbreviated legend, full 'Control'. I usually run a stepped control on HHKB layouts and think it looks great. Thanks for your consideration.

Offline rooski15

« Reply #433 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 19:21:18 »
Seems like the odds are it would t happen, but as a current Oblivion owner I'd like a way to add the git mods to my current set. We will have to see how the pricing shakes out.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #434 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 21:47:25 »
Has any decision been reached on adding Hagoromo alphas to one of the bases/having a regular colored mod pack?

Offline sl70309

« Reply #435 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 16:55:07 »

running IC for 4 months? why this long?

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #436 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 18:08:44 »

It's not long for an IC at all, and the people giving suggestions and the designer both need time to think on how to improve the set

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #437 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 21:55:26 »
There's probably lots of sets in the pipeline.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 00:29:39 »

MD will usually only run one marquee keyset at a time, and rotate manufacturers typically. The schedule is decided months in advance

Offline FullSend

« Reply #439 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 06:17:23 »
I like the idea of having regular wording on the multi-colored mods and have the git-hub format as an option. I also think the white used in the V1 on grey looked alot sharper than the beige but I think that's just me.

Offline gabbbe

« Reply #440 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 12:28:16 »
Please make this happen soon! Just one I idea, idk if it's possible or if someone mention this before but can you make a base kit of only alphas so people can choose between grey and white and having the mods as a separate kit? Like the latest Godspeed drop. It allows a nice customization without having to purchase extra keycaps that won't be used. Thanks!

I'll purchase this no matter what though.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #441 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 12:35:58 »
but can you make a base kit of only alphas

In b4 u must be new 2 GMK.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #442 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 12:41:20 »

Alphas would have been perfect. Nothing wrong in that idea.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #443 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 13:44:44 »
Please make it happen soon.

I am probably going to proxy for 50+ chinese friends.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #444 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 14:51:50 »
Please make it happen soon.

I am probably going to proxy for 50+ chinese friends.

weird flex, but ok
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 15:00:41 »

for someone named GMK you sure are wrong about GMK

Offline gabbbe

« Reply #446 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 15:02:49 »

Sorry, I'm a novice to gmk...

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 15:25:42 »

Sorry, I'm a novice to gmk...

I'm trying to get:

1 x Hagoromo Alphas
1 x Oblivion Alphas
1 x Monochrome Mods
1 x Git Mods
1 x Assembly Mods

2 x spacekeys, 1 x alternate functions. That's a lot of grey alphas I'm going to have to sell.

Yeah, the kits really need to be redistributed. As they are rn, I'd be passing on some kits I'd probably normally get. I think having separate alpha and mod kits would be best like how the SA run was done.

I'd also really like to have base mods with normal legends...

I really wish I could just offer the kits split up into a more modular system like how it is done with SA/DSA buys, but that's unfortunately not how GMK operates. For GMK Oblivion R1 I initially wanted to do the same (regular mods, monochrome mods, gray alphas and white alphas) but buying one mods + one alphas would have cost 160$, while as single base kits we were able to offer it for 135$.

Offline sl70309

« Reply #448 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 16:08:41 »
is it possible to remove num pad from base kit, this might reduce price of base kit. num pad can be in a separate kit. i seldom see people have full-sized keyboard and most of custom keyboards are TKL.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 16:34:27 »
is it possible to remove num pad from base kit, this might reduce price of base kit. num pad can be in a separate kit. i seldom see people have full-sized keyboard and most of custom keyboards are TKL.

I'll wait for pricing of the kits I've drafted up currently (some changes I haven't posted yet because I want to wait for said pricing before settling on those changes since I might discard them after all) before I consider such a change.