Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611790 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1950 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 16:10:48 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Comfy  :)

let us know when you're done distrohopping and settle on a legit one breh

choices include slack, void, gentoo, lfs and crux (if it's still maintained)
everything else is trash
fite me

I see that you forgot to mention Hannah Montana Linux

you mean pedo linux? i dont **** with /g/ memes (gentoo's on the list cause i respect the amount of time gentoo users waste on ricing)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1951 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 16:19:46 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

everything else is trash
fite me

you mean pedo linux? i dont **** with /g/ memes (gentoo's on the list cause i respect the amount of time gentoo users waste on ricing)

:shrugs: I downloaded a Gentoo Live ISO a few days ago. I was basically in a full blown KDE environment just a few minutes later. So idk about Gentoo users 'these days'.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1952 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 16:46:14 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

everything else is trash
fite me

:shrugs: I downloaded a Gentoo Live ISO a few days ago. I was basically in a full blown KDE environment just a few minutes later. So idk about Gentoo users 'these days'.

yeah they're probably suckas. i retract gentoo from the list.
that said, other than partitioning, slack is pretty easy to install to a KDE environment.... but it's slack. so that's cool.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1953 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 19:44:57 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

lol Gave up on Arch?

I hear Antergos is an easier way of delving into Arch.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

everything else is trash
fite me

pls bois, I just didn't wanna do another arch install on this thing. Already did one last week on my thinkpad  :-[

Antergos is basically just arch with a gui installer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2018, 19:47:27 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1954 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 19:51:48 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

lol Gave up on Arch?

I hear Antergos is an easier way of delving into Arch.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

everything else is trash
fite me

pls bois, I just didn't wanna do another arch install on this thing. Already did one last week on my thinkpad  :-[

Antergos is basically just arch with a gui installer.

Well, with Antergos you have access to the Zen kernel, so that's kinda neat I guess.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1955 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 04:29:21 »
Linux Mint, baby.

Okay, it's not very imaginative. But when I use a different OS like that (which is fun now and then), I don't want to spend 90% of my time fussing around with tersely written documentation, editing arcane config files, and doing most of my computing from a command line. I want GUIs, stuff that works, and a big community where I can ask questions and someone can answer them in language I understand.

Having said that, I realize many of you have nothing better to do than spend hours and hours tinkering with the kind of stuff I mentioned. If you do, I hope you're also creating something (i.e. programming) as part of it—producing something of benefit to others—and not just frittering away the precious time you've been given on earth doing fussy, pointless, hobbyist busy-work.

If not, why are you here? So you can consume resources, spend your life doing a bunch of little Linux-y stuff, then get old and die? What's the point of something like that? I'm just saying.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1956 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 07:53:56 »
Having said that, I realize many of you have nothing better to do than spend hours and hours tinkering with the kind of stuff I mentioned. If you do, I hope you're also creating something (i.e. programming) as part of it—producing something of benefit to others—and not just frittering away the precious time you've been given on earth doing fussy, pointless, hobbyist busy-work.

If not, why are you here? So you can consume resources, spend your life doing a bunch of little Linux-y stuff, then get old and die? What's the point of something like that? I'm just saying.
That's like asking people at a keyboard forum to write something meaningful on their fancy keyboards…  :-X

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1957 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 09:12:59 »

Well, with Antergos you have access to the Zen kernel, so that's kinda neat I guess.

Isn't Zen kernel accessible from Ubuntu and Debian as well, e.g. via liquorix package?
https://github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/blob/4.15/master/Documentation/admin-guide/README.rst

That's like asking people at a keyboard forum to write something meaningful on their fancy keyboards…  :-X

I do believe some people here write or create meaningful things with their fancy keyboards.
But it is true that real busy people do not always have much time to bother about their keyboards, or that they are just slow or having that as real low priority, or both.

I have 20+ vintage keyboards and kits, excluding switches and caps and tools, but none of those are 100% finished. When I see people who live streamed and finished building a keyboard from sketch within 1 hour (only a handful of people can do that in GH / DT), and with real neat results, I felt just like a big failing procrastinator on my keyboard projects.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re%253a%2bWhat%2bLinux%2bDistro%2bdo%2bthe%2bLinux%2busers%2bof%2bGH%2buse%253f
« Reply #1958 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 11:27:32 »
Why would a Debian user want to use the Zen kernel?

Edit - phone browser issues
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2018, 11:43:53 by csmertx »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1959 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 11:44:39 »
I'm here because my parents were too unimaginative to have anything better to do than reproducing, thus my genes did not grant me any imagination either.  To compound the tragedy they chose to live in a society where there are no threats to life so I survived to adulthood and in their society of choice families live independently so my loss would be very painful to them, so I still don't really have a choice in the matter.  Put a live grenade in front of me in a crowded room and I'll be the first to jump on it - I won't have to go on living this pointless existence and my parents can be consoled knowing I died for the benefit of others.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1960 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 13:35:12 »
I have managed to get back up to probably 20-30 keyboards again (most of which I'll be selling again once I get around to it) and the keyboard I use the most is the one with absolutely no customization. Frankly, it's really quite a boring keyboard, Matias Laptop Pro. Maybe someday I'll get around to the 15-20 projects I have going on at any given time but frankly the people who have time to build boards from scratch have much more free time than I do. I rarely have more than 10-15 minutes of free time every day these days.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1961 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 13:42:35 »
Linux Mint, baby.

Okay, it's not very imaginative. But when I use a different OS like that (which is fun now and then), I don't want to spend 90% of my time fussing around with tersely written documentation, editing arcane config files, and doing most of my computing from a command line. I want GUIs, stuff that works, and a big community where I can ask questions and someone can answer them in language I understand.

is telling people their hobbies are pointless on a keyboard forum your pointless hobby?

Offline sleepy

« Reply #1962 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 21:02:58 »

It is a hobby and I enjoy it

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1963 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 04:58:14 »
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before but, OpenSUSE liveDVDs have persistent storage (tumbleweed tested with the OpenSUSE imagewriter). I was able to strip out the gnome things, add a user, change the root password, ssh into my arch box, update, and install lightdm/i3wm/git/make. My reason for caring: it's fun.

Offline roosta

• o o f.
« Reply #1964 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 19:23:31 »
Arch Linux with i3wm on my laptop, dual-boot Winblows and Arch on my desktop :thumb: I just can't get away from Arch. Takes maybe an hour to do a fresh install, and another few hours for a quick, usable rice and I have something setup over a weekend that I can use every day with no problems. Bumblebee is setup for the laptop GPU and everything is encrypted :D The stigma that Arch is hard to install is honestly annoying, the wiki explains the entire process.

I like Ubuntu, but every update makes me feel like it's turning into the Windows of Linux. So much bloat. I understand they're catering to an audience that I'm not really included in, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I use it. Also, Archwiki is a godsend. I feel like as big as Ubuntu is now that they should have something even remotely comparable at this point. But I digress...
Pok3r w/ 62g Zealios, DZ60 w/ 65g Zealios, XMIT Hall Effect, Minivan w/ Gateron Yellows, Quickfire Rapid-i w/ MX Browns, Let's Split w/ MX Clears, etc...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1965 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 21:11:32 »
I've got to admit: I was definitely eyeballing Ubuntu as I was installing a nextcloud server on the arch box. *whistles* I get it now.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1966 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:31:21 »
With the recent approval of the CLOUD Act, we might be looking into building our own redundant storage server soon. It would need to be accessible from the net but with local encryption so that only those with access can get the data. Anyone have a suggestion for a good Linux system that supports this out of the box? For reference, I will probably drop in 4x8TB HDDs with RAID 5 or 6 to begin with, maybe more storage later if our needs change.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1967 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:40:28 »
Void linux sound like the right distro candidate for the job

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1968 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 14:53:42 »
Actually I'm going to start a new thread for this.  :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1969 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:16:39 »
The stigma that Arch is hard to install is honestly annoying, the wiki explains the entire process.

The thing is the wiki assumes you know exactly what they're talking about and how to run the commands. For beginners Arch is not.
I used Ubuntu as my very first distro about a month ago. A week later I wiped the computer and did an install of Arch. Took me almost ten wikis (outside of Arch) and a handful of videos before I got everything done. Then I messed up somewhere down the line--twice.
So three or so installs later I have Arch running on my five-year-old laptop. It's nice, fast, and lightweight, but man was it a nightmare. That wiki gets way derivative; for a distro that prides itself on being minimalistic, the wiki is bloated and exhaustive at times.

I finally have my ol' 2010 MBP running again, so I'm going to install Antergos on it this weekend. I thought I would do Arch on it, but then I read that the proprietary Nvidia drivers must be installed with some weird workaround (cf. https://askubuntu.com/questions/264247/proprietary-nvidia-drivers-with-efi-on-mac-to-prevent-overheating/613573#613573), and with school and everything else I've got going I don't feel like bothering with that at the moment.
I much prefer the hardware of my MBP compared to my HP (the latter being the guinea pig for Arch), and I'm eager to get some install of Arch on it, even if it is a "cheater's" version, so I can get to work on it for school studies.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1970 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:17:03 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1971 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 20:44:42 »

Show Image

Fine. Next time I'll recommend NetBSD

NetBSD Toaster by Scott Beale, on Flickr

Offline Altis

« Reply #1972 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 16:41:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1973 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 17:58:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

:shrugs: No one in particular, I'm just spreading the good word of NetBSD (unix-y so somewhat on topic).

Offline Altis

« Reply #1974 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 21:05:37 »

Show Image

:shrugs: No one in particular, I'm just spreading the good word of NetBSD (unix-y so somewhat on topic).

It was just an excuse to put that meme together.

In any case, BSD couldn't be more off-putting... especially FreeBSD.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline seva1385

« Reply #1975 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 21:07:19 »
After I grew dissatisfied with Slackware, I switched to Ubuntu.
Only writing that because I need to get to 25 posts to post in classifieds.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1976 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 21:44:00 »

Show Image

Oi, yea. Some of those FreeBSD volunteers seem to have.. issues.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1977 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:54:28 »

Show Image

Oi, yea. Some of those FreeBSD volunteers seem to have.. issues.

We used to run FreeBSD at work, and I used to run it on Sun Sparc servers at home.

We stopped using it at work due to (lack of) hardware support, and the need to run Oracle Java as seamlessly as possible.

I stopped running it at home when I disposed of the Sun servers.

I still run NetBSD on a couple of old Cobalt machines, although I have run Debian on there too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1978 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 01:37:11 »

Show Image

bsds are great. shush.

Show Image

Show Image

for a server? yes.
for toast?

yes.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1979 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 08:09:31 »
I've considered installing NetBSD to my Sharp X68000 but first I have to actually get the system up and running...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1980 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:21:40 »
Installed Arch on my MBP in 3-4 hours. Not bad.
Especially since last time--which was my first--took me two days...  :p

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 16:38:25 by romevi »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1981 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 16:05:29 »
I've considered installing NetBSD to my Sharp X68000 but first I have to actually get the system up and running...

please post your progress if you do!

Offline ScaredFolks

« Reply #1982 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 22:07:02 »
Kali, Arch, Ubuntu and SUSE.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1983 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 09:54:40 »
Finally built up the courage to try a Slackware install (VM of 14.2 Current). Wifi must be a pita to configure with older hardware/software. Part of me wants to clone the img to a hdd.. #1updateayr

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1984 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 19:50:33 »
Finally built up the courage to try a Slackware install (VM of 14.2 Current). Wifi must be a pita to configure with older hardware/software. Part of me wants to clone the img to a hdd.. #1updateayr

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

>VM

Coward

:p Joking Joking

But that looks great though, might be worth trying out if I ever venture past arch.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1985 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 20:49:30 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

>VM

Coward

:p Joking Joking

But that looks great though, might be worth trying out if I ever venture past arch.

:)) I'm not gonna lie, the setup was tricky even for a VM. Not like a compiling Linux from scratch kind of tricky, for me it (slackware) was a bit tricky to install and setup with the tiling precious.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1986 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 23:54:41 »
I envy those who use BSD and Slackware and such.

Meanwhile I'm slowly moving away from Xfce dependency toward strict i3 in Arch. I still use Xfce as a backup, but thus far I'm already getting used to using just i3.

But now that I realize it most of the configuration is relied on using Xfce's terminal and general desktop settings, so maybe I'm not that detached.
Now if I can figure out how to start Ranger automatically from a keybind instead of opening a terminal and executing "ranger"...

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1987 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 21:19:49 »
I gotta stop hopping

193487-0

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1988 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 04:12:42 »
I'm looking for a new distro for my main PC as OpenSUSE is incapable of running the new version of EasyAVR due to Python requirements - it still uses Python2 as default and having upgraded to tumbleweed and added a repo offering hundreds of Python related packages it's still not playing, so I'm giving up.

The only other requirement is that I need to use the nvidia driver and would appreciate that being managed by the package manager.

I would suggest any distro should be able to meet these but as above it's not so.  I'm thinking Arch/Gentoo/Void but having used newbie friendly distros since UEFI I'm expecting a dual boot installation to be less than easy so want the first one I chose to be guaranteed to work...

Any recommendations?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1989 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:19:35 »
I'm looking for a new distro for my main PC as OpenSUSE is incapable of running the new version of EasyAVR due to Python requirements - it still uses Python2 as default and having upgraded to tumbleweed and added a repo offering hundreds of Python related packages it's still not playing, so I'm giving up.

The only other requirement is that I need to use the nvidia driver and would appreciate that being managed by the package manager.

I would suggest any distro should be able to meet these but as above it's not so.  I'm thinking Arch/Gentoo/Void but having used newbie friendly distros since UEFI I'm expecting a dual boot installation to be less than easy so want the first one I chose to be guaranteed to work...

Any recommendations?

I expect I'll get pushback, but I personally recommend Arch. Admittedly never fully installed gentoo so I can't comment there, and overall I'm a linux noob.

Idk, I just like Arch.

Easy to maintain, and as far as I can tell the nvidia drivers are in the official repo. Plus tons of legacy support in the AUR.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1990 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 08:50:40 »
I gotta stop hopping

"Oh look, all the software I want to use has compiled binaries for Debian/Ubuntu."

* jdcarpe switches to Ubuntu, doesn't look back.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1991 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 09:29:45 »
That's the primary reason I tend to stick to Ubuntu-based distros like Mint. It has the most compatibility with things I want to do or use.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1992 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 10:56:13 »
I expect I'll get pushback, but I personally recommend Arch. Admittedly never fully installed gentoo so I can't comment there, and overall I'm a linux noob.

Idk, I just like Arch.

Easy to maintain, and as far as I can tell the nvidia drivers are in the official repo. Plus tons of legacy support in the AUR.
Thanks for the non expert opinion - I'm not a newbie having tried most distros through the years but never got UEFI and GPT booting manually, so as good as for this.

Does the new EasyAVR definitely work?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1993 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 11:37:08 »
I have Arch booting from UEFI (MBP). It wasn't too bad. There were instructions for my exact computer so I used that and the main guide, as well as a couple of supplemental instructions.

What was the most painful was replacing systemd-boot with GRUB2. The Nvidia drivers were not compatible with my computer unless I played with a workaround--and that was to use GRUB2 as the bootloader on my UEFI partition. Thankfully I wiped my entire computer, but I can imagine it would be 2x-3x more stressful on a dual-boot.

In other words, I personally wouldn't recommend it. Installing the Nvidia drivers successfully presented more problems, but I found workarounds.
For instance, I can't seem to use any other DE now besides Xfce (which is fine since Xfce is my favorite, but would be nice to have the option), and the Wi-Fi tends to be a bit wonky. At least my computer is a lot cooler now, however, than when I used the Nouveau drivers.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1994 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 14:21:45 »

Idk, I just like Arch.

Thanks for the non expert opinion - I'm not a newbie having tried most distros through the years but never got UEFI and GPT booting manually, so as good as for this.

Does the new EasyAVR definitely work?

I used Manjaro as my daily for eight months then switched to Arch for three months (current--EFI only). Linux Mint (Debian derivative)/Manjaro (Arch derivative) dual boot was finicky after kernel updates. Hopefully the distros you use run OS probe. I guess some newbie friendly distros avoid each other for some reason. I shouldn't have to chroot into a distro to fix grub after every kernel update. Although, the process familiarized me with tmux/w3m before I ditched Linux Mint so that's a ++. Why not try a VM with USB passthrough before going though a massive distro overhaul?

edit - Yep, I don't have the hardware to test further but here's the GUI on Arch. It'll need python3, pip, and wxpython (wxpython appears to contain wxgtk4) to complete the installation. I extracted the tar, cd'd to the dir and then sudo python setup.py install.

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 15:05:56 by csmertx »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1995 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 17:12:45 »

Cheat.
Install Mint, use that as a template or just reformat the partitions with Arch then do your install or just use Antergos.

Side note
Antergos is straight up Arch while Manjaro uses their own repos, so there is a difference.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1996 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 17:35:35 »
Seriously, steer clear of Manjaro unless you really enjoy their offerings.

edit - forgot to show the screenfech of my vanilla Arch stuff alongside EasyAVR (kernel, driver's license, etc.)

More

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 22:27:17 by csmertx »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1997 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 02:20:40 »
Thanks all for the thoughts on Arch - I'll have to read up on nvidia but lots of people use that compared to EasyAVR so there will be something to read :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1998 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 06:56:16 »
Side note
Antergos is straight up Arch while Manjaro uses their own repos, so there is a difference.

Antergos is very nice, and you can do a bare bones install that starts you off at the same point a regular arch install would have you at after reboot. Add your own wm, etc.

Used for a little while and liked it a lot.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1999 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 07:57:39 »
Thanks all for the thoughts on Arch - I'll have to read up on nvidia but lots of people use that compared to EasyAVR so there will be something to read :))

If my crusty AMD card has no troubles you'll no doubt be successful with nvidia. But as you know, most seem to avoid the nvidia open source drivers. Damn shame. :))