Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 118900 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 22:17:13 »
I still go through the startup and process lists and disable everything I think is wasting resources with no real payoff, even if there's really no major practical need due to excessively capable hardware. I even wish I had more time/motivation to still go through and strip all of the useless trash out of Windows entirely like I used to with XP.
I stopped doing that about the time Win8 came out, the resource savings and speed increases were no longer worth bothering. I did however limit apps at startup by using Winpatrol but that was also due to privacy and security reasons.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:40:16 »
I installed Win10 Education. Got it for free from my school, and had a spare laptop lying around. It's not bad. I see a lot of bloat has been removed, but I think the Office Suite was preinstalled. Not sure whether I should be glad.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #352 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:50:05 »
Most Office hatred stems from the price, the programs themselves are pretty solid.

Other than Outlook,
Outlook needs to die in the fiery pits of hell alongside those who designed it. Seriously, straight to hell.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #353 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 06:00:55 »
Win10 has been really stable for me. I love Linux, but I haven’t really loved any of the DEs for them. WSL2 has been the perfect option for me. I can use my Affinity Designer natively when not coding and then drop into my Ubuntu install in the terminal with zsh, run s3cmd, handle all my node stuff, vim, docker, ssh into my server, and other command line things through windows terminal and my Ubuntu distro. The privacy aspect isn’t great; however, most things I wouldn’t want to advertise are public records anyway (address, voting record, etc).

In short, Win10 has been a good experience for me on the desktop and WSL2 gives me access to the phenomenal terminal of a Linux install.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #354 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 06:55:15 »
In short, Win10 has been a good experience for me on the desktop and WSL2 gives me access to the phenomenal terminal of a Linux install.

WSL has made a lot of things easier. We don't allow dual-boot where I work on security grounds, so rather than making researchers choose between a managed Ubuntu or managed Windows 10 environment, we just let them use WSL.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 17:43:56 »
It really is infuriating that you cannot turn updates off at all but MS keeps releasing forced updates that break my system.

Especially infuriating that the postponing updates setting is really more of a suggestion because if there's a "required update" it will override that setting and install the update regardless.

Every single week. Literally every week, I wind up spending 40mins to an hour fixing something that an update I never wanted broke in my environment. Never EVER had this issue with Win7, now it is a weekly thing that I am sure drives my blood pressure up every time I turn on my workstation only to discover it installed and reset in the middle of the night.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 18:06:01 »
What kind of stuff do you find broken? I’ve not had anything break in an update on either my home PC or work PC (which is set up for early access updates) so it always seems somewhat circumstantial when I hear about updates breaking stuff.

People at work hate it, of course, because researchers like to be silly and run their intensive fluid dynamics simulations on their £30k workstations which are managed and therefore have updates every two weeks (we tell them when these will be) as opposed to our HPC.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 18:45:22 »
What kind of stuff do you find broken? I’ve not had anything break in an update on either my home PC or work PC (which is set up for early access updates) so it always seems somewhat circumstantial when I hear about updates breaking stuff.

People at work hate it, of course, because researchers like to be silly and run their intensive fluid dynamics simulations on their £30k workstations which are managed and therefore have updates every two weeks (we tell them when these will be) as opposed to our HPC.

A lot of it has to do with security permissions, constant sound issues, reformatting my files without permission, resetting right when I'm in the middle of working on something, Win10 intensively using hardware resources as it idles in the background doing literally nothing etc.

It's different nearly every week.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 21:47:40 »
I hate the pointless re-arranging.
I deal a lot with networking and the right click function on the network icon near the clock has changed multiple times, you never know where it leads. Can I right click on start and get to device manager... Not this version but you can get to the old control panel that way, but not the computer sitting right next to it. 

Pure madness.

Same when it comes to adding features,
I had one recently where the system was crashing, figuring it was a bad update first thing I told them to do was set delayed updates. That didn't exist, the system hadn't been updated in a while and it was that lack of updates causing the problem, the app needed some new included file. I have no issue with MS adding features, the problem is there's no easy way to track them.

Before you had service packs which easily identified what stage of updates the OS was at, now you have some random internal code, like right now the latest major update is 2004. They couldn't pick something more user friendly than something that looks like a date from years gone by? And where do you find this? Oh, it's buried. Gee thanks. Buried also means people making tutorials on fixing problems won't mention it and that creates a whole new set of issues.

How bad do you think all of the tutorials will be in 2 years, or even 4 or 6 years from now?
"Just click on control panel"
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 09:48:02 »
I hate the pointless re-arranging.
I deal a lot with networking and the right click function on the network icon near the clock has changed multiple times, you never know where it leads. Can I right click on start and get to device manager... Not this version but you can get to the old control panel that way, but not the computer sitting right next to it. 

Pure madness.

Yeah, agreed. M$' organization has seemed to usually get steadily worse with each change in interface to begin with, though 10 walked back a lot of the abominations of 8. Don't Win + X and right clicking the start button give you the same context menu? I could have sworn device manager has been in there from the start, and I'm pretty sure I have already used it on "2004" systems as well.

Offline jamster

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 10:12:10 »
Microsoft seems to do UI by committee, it is terrible. All of their enterprise stuff drives me insane, and yes, the constant tweaking with each win10 update is incredibly frustrating.

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
« Reply #361 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 08:10:36 »
I wouldn't mind MS trying to make people use the new Metro settings menu, I really wouldn't....IF they would stop REMOVING FEATURES.

DON'T FORCE ME TO USE THE NEW SETTINGS MENU WHEN YOU HAVEN'T ADDED ALL THE SETTINGS IN THERE YET.

Particularly with sound. The new sound menu is absolutely atrocious, and the old one (still accessible) works perfectly fine, no bugs, nothing wrong with it. I do a lot of complicated sound setup when I'm working with various programs (voicemeeter pro, resanance, voicemod, VR things from time to time...) and I don't even waste my time with the new menu anymore. Literally made a shortcut and set a ctrl+alt+] hotkey for it so I can pull it up quickly.
12 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:wholesomeducky
Inbox always open, for whatever reason.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 09:59:03 »
Particularly with sound. The new sound menu is absolutely atrocious, and the old one (still accessible) works perfectly fine, no bugs, nothing wrong with it. I do a lot of complicated sound setup when I'm working with various programs (voicemeeter pro, resanance, voicemod, VR things from time to time...) and I don't even waste my time with the new menu anymore. Literally made a shortcut and set a ctrl+alt+] hotkey for it so I can pull it up quickly.

Yes, this can't be understated. I miss having a quickly-accessible test button to make sure all of the speakers are working, etc. I used this constantly in Windows 7 since every room down a hallway may have a slightly different setup in some of these schools.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 18:48:22 »
Switched Tp4's x220 to Win 10 pro,  runs prettty fast so far..  latest win10 build version has better gpu support for the ol'HD3000

I would say slightly faster than win 7 for newer applications

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #364 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 19:25:33 »
Recently decided to quit videogames and focus more on development and so I knew I needed to move away from Windows as there were too many reminders of gaming.  Started dual booting with Manjaro Linux.  Has been working out great so far.   I love Manjaro as I have access to the Arch User Repository and the aesthetic and UI is almost perfect out of the box with Manjaro.  I use an ultrawide monitor so the window snapping and workspaces are a godsend.  The manjaro terminal is something that I love as well, the transparent aesthetic is much appreciated.

There are a few things I don't like about linux however.  The first being I need to find a better image manager/editor than digikam since its slow and can't access folders directly. Another thing I don't like is that there isn't any official Onenote support.  The other thing I don't like is that the file browser needs more robust view options.  I can't configure thumbnail sizes like I can in windows.   
I still have Win10 on an SSD but really only use it for photo editing and for xwhatsit configuration software(missing dependency avr-gcc in linux, can't figure out how to remediate)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #365 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 22:35:54 »
The other thing I don't like is that the file browser needs more robust view options.  I can't configure thumbnail sizes like I can in windows.   
This depends on the desktop environment you use, Manjaro isn't an environment just a distro. The file manager is desktop environment based, for example Plasma comes with Dolphin which is way better than the garbage Gnome uses (Nautilus). They're interchangeable regardless of desktop environment (and many to pick from) you just need to try a few. I think the one Ubuntu or Mint uses (might be Nautilus) does support One Drive, not the normal way but it does do cloud storage.

Kind of odd that an OS that hosts most cloud storage has such horrible support for those systems.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MarrniHigginsFirstOne

« Reply #366 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 05:21:29 »
Using it for more than 1.5 years!
To be honest, it is way more comfortable than w7.

I didn`t get all idea of w7 after more than 7 years of using it and sometimes some stupid situations made me stacked, while w10 can`t make you lost in some stupid situations.
The only problem of w10 are updates.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #367 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 08:58:08 »
I preferred the XP interface for most stuff. File Explorer is really annoying how it is now.

I wish it showed the whole path of folders so you could click them (not just display the path) and while you can turn on an equivalent of Recent Folders it doesn't work in Save As unless I start faffing about with the registery.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2020, 17:31:52 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #368 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 10:21:50 »

I preferred the XP interface for most stuff. File Manager is really annoying how it is now.

I wish it showed the whole path of folders so you could click them (not just display the path) and while you can turn on an equivalent of Recent Folders it doesn't work in Save As unless I start faffing about with the registry.

Absolutely agree.

I need to see the directory tree structure many times per day. With every iteration of Windows this seems to get worse.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #369 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 19:43:31 »
The file extension is more important than the file tree...

I can barely function without that, seriously I have no idea how people get by without file extensions.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #370 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 21:37:07 »

I have no idea how people get by without file extensions.

Yes, it is like taking all the labels off all the packages ....

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 08:01:32 »

I can barely function without that, seriously I have no idea how people get by without file extensions.

There are alot of people behind the times on computer use.

For example, people who keeps 100s of tabs open, WHY do that, because they can't type, and it's more efficient to keep things open then to type the address and find something again.

Same with icons on the desktop.

Typing speed determines their clutter.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 09:00:03 »

I have no idea how people get by without file extensions.

Yes, it is like taking all the labels off all the packages ....

Actually it really is literally taking the labels of the package, lol.  Basically the box saying the title but not what is in it.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline yui

« Reply #373 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 01:47:20 »

There are alot of people behind the times on computer use.

For example, people who keeps 100s of tabs open, WHY do that, because they can't type, and it's more efficient to keep things open then to type the address and find something again.

Same with icons on the desktop.

Typing speed determines their clutter.

i actually do that since firefox decided to bury the favorites 3 levels deep in the menus, i use tabs as favorites pretty much, and true i am not nearly as fast as you at typing but i am not too slow either, just easier that way, and as firefox do not load unused tabs it do not matter on system usage.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #374 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 02:05:57 »
Why does Win10 hate audiophiles? I've never met an OS that fought so hard to make my sound quality gutter-realm **** tier.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 02:26:50 »
Why does Win10 hate audiophiles? I've never met an OS that fought so hard to make my sound quality gutter-realm **** tier.
Is there anything Win10 doesn't try to ruin?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 02:55:12 »

Integration with other (current)MS products and ecosystems, and arguably better at ethernet connectivity? oy, can't think of much else that it doesn't actively ruin.

Offline yui

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 04:02:59 »

Integration with other (current)MS products and ecosystems, and arguably better at ethernet connectivity? oy, can't think of much else that it doesn't actively ruin.
MS teams integrate better on my debian machine than my windows 10 machine... (well it is sound stacks bugs), and so far as networking goes, very hit or miss to for me as the "telemetry" running on the network stack has some memory leaks making it crash on lower end systems upon heavy use. so win 10 ruins everything :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 08:52:31 »
Making your own software work with your other software isn't exactly a high bar is it?

Network performance on Windows has actually gone backwards.
Network transfers (through SAMBA) in particular are actually slower than they once were and this is before you count the overhead all those updates are and phoning home it does. Yes, multi-channel network (2 nics working as one) easier and more reliably than Linux (out of the box even), but how many people actually use it? And have you actually tried setting up a static IP and DNS in the new control panel (the one you will be forced to use soon)? Whoever designed it either never actually used it and will soon be beaten by their coworkers, or they're a masochist, which means they'll also probably enjoy that beating.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #379 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 01:42:57 »
Does anyone know of any way to stop Win updates dead? I have tried so many things and am sick of it bogging down my system all the time running in the background, completely ignoring my pause or turn off update instructions. Is there a root file I can get to to stop it completely 100%? I don't even care if I ever take another update ever again, I just want control over my own pc.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #380 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 01:54:08 »
Does anyone know of any way to stop Win updates dead? I have tried so many things and am sick of it bogging down my system all the time running in the background, completely ignoring my pause or turn off update instructions. Is there a root file I can get to to stop it completely 100%? I don't even care if I ever take another update ever again, I just want control over my own pc.
Try O&OShutup10
There are more aggressive systems but take heed, some of them can't be reversed easily and can take out things you don't want.

Whatever you use, make darn sure it is up to date, using an out of date tool like this has been known to trash Windows thanks to MS fighting back against them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2021, 01:55:49 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #381 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 01:56:53 »
if you have pro and want to run an AD and wsus serveur, you can :)
if you want to run it into a vm in linux and have the linux firewall block all windows update traffic, you can also
if you have a decent router you can also use its firewall
and there may exist tools but as i use windows 10 only at work, i do not care enough, and the AD tells it to only update after work hours.

Offline Bitdrive

• * Maker
  • Sup I’m new and takin a look around
    • @bitdrive Instagram
« Reply #382 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 19:59:17 »
It’s just accessible and very easy to manage, most of everything is made for windows anyways so why not. No point in making your life harder if you don’t have to.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #383 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 20:29:12 »
I have legal OEM licenses of Win10 Home and Pro for my computers, but I have had little reason to use them in 2020.

The work PC runs Ubuntu 20.04, and the 'play' computer runs Manjaro.  I find it easier to keep crap off my taskbar, manage backups, and schedule updates.  And all my games (Skyrim Remastered, DOOM IV, Runes of Magic, Trove, Guinea Pig Parkour, Dolphin emulator, etc.) seem to work fine with Proton. 

Would I recommend Linux instead of Windows 10?  Nope, that's a good way to become an unpaid software support specialist. 

Besides, if someone wanted to take advantage of my experience as a Linux desktop/server user, their Linux system would have an unfortunate accident--and no one wants that. 

Don't be like me, kids folks, stay in Windows 10.

edit - I'm not technically a gray beard--still a few years left--even if my beard is mostly gray.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2021, 08:16:42 by csmertx »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #384 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 23:02:56 »
Bit of warning here, it only takes surprisingly few rules to really bog down many routers, this is why people use Pi-holes and such to handle DNS, it would swamp the router.
Media priority rules will drag them down even faster.

It’s just accessible and very easy to manage, most of everything is made for windows anyways so why not. No point in making your life harder if you don’t have to.
It's easy for you to manage because you've been doing it so long, it took you years to get where you are, you can't expect to jump to another OS and be as proficient with it right from the start.

After working with Mac and Linux, yes, there are places where Windows is better but managing the OS (in a non-corporate environment) is absolutely not one of them, in fact this is one area where Windows is by far the worst of the 3 major operating systems.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #385 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 01:00:11 »
FWIW i had to registry edit W10 to get it to show the correct time (my clock is UTC). Also in the process of doing complicated edits and command lines with cryptic keys (wtf, really) so i can actually patch the system, since that january update sends it through a fail loop... And that's a fairly recent W10 install, with almost nothing on it but Steam and HWMonitor (I use mostly Ubuntu).

Offline yui

« Reply #386 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 02:03:23 »
Bit of warning here, it only takes surprisingly few rules to really bog down many routers, this is why people use Pi-holes and such to handle DNS, it would swamp the router.
yeah it is why i said decent :) in france our main operator (Orange) distribute routers that will overheat about every 2 to 3 hours or so by default, and crash every hour if you try to add a rule...
After working with Mac and Linux, yes, there are places where Windows is better but managing the OS (in a non-corporate environment) is absolutely not one of them, in fact this is one area where Windows is by far the worst of the 3 major operating systems.
and if you really want, a linux can be managed from an AD, although i do not know why you would do that

Offline Alga

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 03:36:19 »
I have been using W10 personally for about 2 years coming from Mac. Apple integration is just beautiful. But I like to get the most out of my money, and building a Hackintosh is not an option.
Building a windows machine is accessible and easy enough. And cheaper.
Also, I did it for steam and origin and the lot of the gamezzzz.

From Mac OS I just miss Finder, and the way they have to navigate folders and show the tree view. That is just so clear and nice.

But windows has a price to pay. I build a computer for my father this Christmas, so many hours downloading updates and tweaking the bios and crap. The computer would randomly lose the mouse and ethernet. Just that. It is an AMD build, so I was starting to worry that there was some compatibility issue between processor and ram. I decided to plug my fathers OS into my computer and boot it, it downloaded a couple of updates and worked beatifully.
Because of that, I decided to plug my OS into his hardware, and it wouldn't boot. I plugged his drive again and it just worked like a charm. But when I connected my drive back to my computer it would not recognize it. Somehow the other motherboard had overwritten the SATA protocols and the computer would not recognize it as a boot drive.
I tried to rebuild the boot sequence on the drive, but long story short, I had to format the drive and lost everything. Install all the crap and try not to think in all I lost.

A beautiful sequel of this, my computer has a problem with my wifi/Bluetooth card. The wifi works fine, but the Bluetooth disappears every time I suspend or shut down the computer. The card shows as an unidentified device and I have to uninstall it and manually install the driver again.

That's what I get from DIYing crap and being nice and trying to do nice things for the family.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 00:54:00 »
It is an AMD build, so I was starting to worry that there was some compatibility issue between processor and ram. I decided to plug my fathers OS into my computer and boot it, it downloaded a couple of updates and worked beatifully.
Never cross platforms.
Youtubers will say they do it often, and they do, but they do prep work (dumping drivers) and even that can fail.

I tried to rebuild the boot sequence on the drive, but long story short, I had to format the drive and lost everything. Install all the crap and try not to think in all I lost.
It very well have just been a bios change needed to fix it, however what you should have done was put the drive back in your dad's system while and copy off your data. Be it booting off your drive or installing it as a secondary drive. No need to lose everything.

That's what I get from DIYing crap and being nice and trying to do nice things for the family.
This is not a Mac vs Windows issue.
Why were you "tweaking bios and crap", you shouldn't NEED to do this. Yes, you may need to to get the most from the system but it's not necessary to build a system.

I don't mean to be harsh here, but I suspect you were your own worst enemy here.

BTW, Windows bluetooth is horrible, not physically, it's a software.driver issue.
If you have a mix of old and new drivers it causes all sorts of issues. One way you might fix this is with a driver update tool such as Snappy Driver or something similar (this method works on Win7 and 8, never tried it on 10). It will probably mess up your bluetooth worse than it is but it can be used as a tool to get where you need to be. I have it update the driver, then restart, go to device manager and purge anything bluetooth, reboot again and now it will pick from all the new and old drivers and start working properly. I suspect Windows has a bad driver or INI file somewhere that the drivers are clinging to and this method finally pushes it out. I've had to do this to a number of laptops I've worked on.

Resetting Windows while retaining your files may fix both systems.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline AJM

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 07:52:49 »

A lot of it has to do with security permissions, constant sound issues, reformatting my files without permission, resetting right when I'm in the middle of working on something, Win10 intensively using hardware resources as it idles in the background doing literally nothing etc.

I've just read in another thread, that you emphasize the fact, that you have never reinstalled Windows. You probably don't want to hear this, but if you would be willing to invest a few hours in a fresh installation of Windows etc., I'm sure that your update problems would be gone.
About 2 years ago I also had the problem, that my Windows started to act up - every update became more and more difficult or failed. After a fresh install, there were no problems whatsoever.
I'm also not a fan of constant updates, that can't be stopped, but as long as they run silently without problems, I don't really care.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #390 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 16:58:12 »

I got my Pi-hole set up up and running again a few months ago, using some really aggressive block lists this time so I have been checking the logs to whitelists various websites (... and LG "SMART" tvs) that they break. I swear that Windows is trying to phone home literally constantly.

It is an AMD build, so I was starting to worry that there was some compatibility issue between processor and ram. I decided to plug my fathers OS into my computer and boot it, it downloaded a couple of updates and worked beatifully.
Never cross platforms.
Youtubers will say they do it often, and they do, but they do prep work (dumping drivers) and even that can fail.

Windows 8 and 10 seem a lot less fussy about this than previous releases. I was surprised to see that when I installed windows 10 to a hard drive using a comparatively modern Dell and swapped it into an "incompatible" Macbook Pro (one of the early Core 2s), that it booted up and functioned well without any bluescreens. I think I have swapped between AMD and Intel as well, but now that I think of it, I haven't had a relatively modern AMD system in a very long time.

This is not a Mac vs Windows issue.
Why were you "tweaking bios and crap", you shouldn't NEED to do this. Yes, you may need to to get the most from the system but it's not necessary to build a system.

I don't mean to be harsh here, but I suspect you were your own worst enemy here.

BTW, Windows bluetooth is horrible, not physically, it's a software.driver issue.
If you have a mix of old and new drivers it causes all sorts of issues. One way you might fix this is with a driver update tool such as Snappy Driver or something similar (this method works on Win7 and 8, never tried it on 10). It will probably mess up your bluetooth worse than it is but it can be used as a tool to get where you need to be. I have it update the driver, then restart, go to device manager and purge anything bluetooth, reboot again and now it will pick from all the new and old drivers and start working properly. I suspect Windows has a bad driver or INI file somewhere that the drivers are clinging to and this method finally pushes it out. I've had to do this to a number of laptops I've worked on.

Resetting Windows while retaining your files may fix both systems.

Snappy Driver Installer Origin is wonderful. I think people would use it more if they realized how ridiculously out-of-date (and often broken) the drivers the OEMs throw up on their sites often are.

I've just read in another thread, that you emphasize the fact, that you have never reinstalled Windows. You probably don't want to hear this, but if you would be willing to invest a few hours in a fresh installation of Windows etc., I'm sure that your update problems would be gone.
About 2 years ago I also had the problem, that my Windows started to act up - every update became more and more difficult or failed. After a fresh install, there were no problems whatsoever.
I'm also not a fan of constant updates, that can't be stopped, but as long as they run silently without problems, I don't really care.

Yeah, Windows benefits a lot with from a fresh reinstall every few years. It always has since I have been using it. Those automatic forced updates from 7 and 8 to 10 were a cluster too from the start.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 21:44:58 »
Never cross platforms.

Windows 8 and 10 seem a lot less fussy about this than previous releases. I was surprised to see that when I installed windows 10 to a hard drive using a comparatively modern Dell and swapped it into an "incompatible" Macbook Pro (one of the early Core 2s), that it booted up and functioned well without any bluescreens. I think I have swapped between AMD and Intel as well, but now that I think of it, I haven't had a relatively modern AMD system in a very long time.
It works, the problem is when it doesn't it can be anything from weird glitches to a a total bluescreen, and it's completely unpredictable if or when it will do it.

It's probably worth a shot for people but I'd make a backup first, personally, I prefer doing a clean install as often as possible. People were always curious why it seemed my own Windows systems ran so good and yet I was always reloading Windows, it ran well because I was always reloading Windows.

The best thing you can do for Windows performance and troubleshooting is learn how to do good backup and restores (NOT IMAGES).  It's the best anti-malware, registry cleaner and system cleaner you can get.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #392 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 00:57:55 »
i have found an other reason to hate windows 10 more than 7
the scheduler seems dumber, yesterday i had forgot an i++ in my code (happen often) so it went into infinite loop and crashed windows. this loop was not actually allocating memory or forking, the same kind of infinite loop on Windows 7 did only crash the program (like i said happen often to me)... Windows 10 acted as if it was Windows 95 and just let the program hog all the system resources...

Offline micmil

« Reply #393 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 00:52:00 »
All day, every day, ever since it came out.

I have absolutely no idea how people end up with these ungodly horror stories outside of perhaps an overextended sense of their computing knowledge. My worst Windows 10 story (probably the search indexer skull****ing resources to the point of it taking several HOURS for me to turn it off because every input came with about two minutes of lag) pales in comparison to my worst Linux (any variety) story (easily the time when running a system update on Debian using the official guide inexplicably copied my entire file system recursively into /etc. HUH?!?).

When configured properly Win10 S's TFU and stays out of the way. That's all I could ever ask of an OS.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #394 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 04:05:21 »
I have absolutely no idea how people end up with these ungodly horror stories outside of perhaps an overextended sense of their computing knowledge.
It's not their sense of computing knowledge, I've seen so much fail right out of the box, first update, without any user interaction at all.

As for Linux,
If you're determined to screw something up or follow a guide (especially a bad or outdated one) without knowing what you're doing, you can destroy any OS install.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 04:38:11 »
i have found an other reason to hate windows 10 more than 7
the scheduler seems dumber, yesterday i had forgot an i++ in my code (happen often) so it went into infinite loop and crashed windows. this loop was not actually allocating memory or forking, the same kind of infinite loop on Windows 7 did only crash the program (like i said happen often to me)... Windows 10 acted as if it was Windows 95 and just let the program hog all the system resources...

Back to the shortest 'virus' ever written:
Code: [Select]
Do
Beep
Loop

Good work microsoft :p

Noticed we use win10 on the CMM at work, it's always moaning about failed updates and some days spends as much time logging crash data and rebooting as doing measuring.  This box has maybe 5 programs installed and only one is used so it's not very impressive.[/code]
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2021, 04:44:15 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #396 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 00:55:41 »
Same here. It self destructed after about 2 months of light usage, with almost nothing installed. Only option now to get out of the update crash loop (with piling additional updates that then crash too..) is to re-install completely (and that's the solution given by Microsoft support !).

Offline yui

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 04:07:36 »
I have absolutely no idea how people end up with these ungodly horror stories outside of perhaps an overextended sense of their computing knowledge.
It's not their sense of computing knowledge, I've seen so much fail right out of the box, first update, without any user interaction at all.

As for Linux,
If you're determined to screw something up or follow a guide (especially a bad or outdated one) without knowing what you're doing, you can destroy any OS install.
how to trash a linux install : sudo rm -rf
how to trash a windows install : just install windows, trashed from factory
ok i may be a bit biased :) but i had multiple pc just blue screen after updates with no intervention of my part, just install and let it run its update

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 04:54:28 »
I did both in one comand.  Install Windows at the beginning of a drive, then Linux on the same drive.  Boot Linux and run sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda.

Not my finest moment but at least everything was still on the old drive :-[
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 05:15:20 »
I did both in one comand.  Install Windows at the beginning of a drive, then Linux on the same drive.  Boot Linux and run sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda.

Not my finest moment but at least everything was still on the old drive :-[
good old Disk Destroyer :)