Author Topic: 192-core ARM CPU  (Read 4779 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
192-core ARM CPU
« on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 01:36:00 »
Finally the long dormant CPU has awakened. The GPU wars are ending. The dawn of the core race has begun!again

https://www.techradar.com/news/arm-wants-to-obliterate-intel-and-amd-with-gigantic-192-core-cpu

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: 192-core ARM CPU
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 08:52:59 »
ARM HAD a lot of potential, especially with Apple jumping on board. one of the issues with ARM has been little hardware to test with, Pi helped as did Chromebooks but they're rather low end. Higher end ARM isn't cheap, but it is/was coming.

The issue now is with Nvidia taking control of it.
I have ZERO faith in Nvidia after some of the things they've pulled in the past and unless Microsoft is onboard it's not going far anyhow. You may have gotten it with ARM being independent but with Nvidia in control and now Apple using it Microsoft will likely avoid it like the plague. There's no incentive there for them to burn Intel and AMD. I'll believe in ARM on desktop when I see it, until then, especially from Nvidia it's vaporware. Chances are this will be sold to crypto miners and little else. Don't even count on this in a Mac Pro as Apple is more likely to stick with Intel on the Pro than work with Nvidia.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 08:57:35 »
Buh mac already announced they're ditching intel,  what are they gonna do,  debuff ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 23:09:17 »
Apple has a license to ARM, it's like buying an X86-64 license or CAD plans for something, they can have Samsung or ARM produce them for them or start their own fab to produce them. It's not like buying chips from Intel who made them for you and you have no access to the engineering files.

If Jobs was still alive he'd have probably bought ARM just to keep Nvidia from buying it. Apple still has yet to really go full ARM, they barely have test machines in tester hands, they could still reverse course, it wouldn't be the first time, it wouldn't even be the first time they reversed course because of Nvidia.

I think we can agree, this would be for the Mac Pro, putting this in an Imac would be tough (350 watts TDP).
Apple (and Nvidia) will have to prove this has the computer power to compete with Intel and AMD, AND have the apps to do so. Until they have a working video editor that can at the very least compete with Intel and AMD a new Mac Pro based on this isn't going to happen. I'm sure most people are thinking that since they have Final Cut the video editor isn't an issue, maybe, maybe not. Apple has a system to convert apps as well as a compatibility layer, the compatibility layers are often not as fast and the last time they ran Adobe Photoshop through the convertor it garbled the code so bad they had to re-write Photoshop from scratch. So it may take a several years for Final Cut to run as well as it did, if it runs at all at first. 

They have time though, and odds are the Mac Pro will be the last thing switched over, but at this point would you buy a Mac Pro? The current one or the next? The trash can was allowed to stagnate for YEARS without any updates or price drop. This time they release a Mac Pro which was insanely high priced (and I suspect rushed, a good job none-the-less) and it no sooner settles and they announce they're leaving Intel. Even if they make and sell the current Pro for let's say 6 years, as soon as they have them in their hands app developers will start to focus on the ARM system. You're brand new system is a has-been after only 1 year or so on the market. Why would you buy another Mac Pro if this is how you get treated? Will there even be another Mac Pro? It's not a big earner for them, in fact the entire Mac lineup isn't where the money is and the Pro is an outlier inside that.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 08:25:36 »
So will they have names of different styles of Leather and leather Jackets?  lol

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 20:02:16 »
Servers seriously need that much power bruh

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 21:34:57 »
I read it was just gonna be available through cloud service at first, i think that puts a huge damper on seeing it in anything other than a limited amount of servers for VMs anytime soon.

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 00:54:29 »
I read it was just gonna be available through cloud service at first, i think that puts a huge damper on seeing it in anything other than a limited amount of servers for VMs anytime soon.
that many cores make sense mostly for vm or compute right now i dunno in the future but given that consumer programs only rarely run multi threaded and when they do mostly up to 4 threads, i do not see that catching on in the next few years, and then there is nvidia so will see how it goes.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)