Author Topic: Herrrrooooo  (Read 871 times)

Offline julayyy

Herrrrooooo
« on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:55:14 »
Hey guys,

I've been stalking this forum for awhile now and decided I should might as well make a post now?  My first mechanical keyboard was actually a CM storm quickfire stealth with cherry mx browns but for some reasons, I didn't really like them.  I don't know if it was just my particular keyboard but the caplock key was a few level higher than the rest of the keys so my pinky would always hit the caplock key making it uncomfortable to type with.  Also, I guess brown keys were to light for me because I kept pressing the wrong keys by accident. 

Ended up returning the keyboard and went back to rubber dome keyboard until that one broke so I went back on the keyboard market to find myself another one.  I decided to try another mechanical keyboard because maybe browns weren't meant for me.  This time, I decided to go for the CM storm quickfire TK because it has always appealed to me that it is about the same size as a TKL keyboard with the numpad and I love my numpad D: It was actually my first choice but I kept reading reviews that the numlock keys doesn't work on macbook so I thought there was no point in buying this keyboard if the numpad doesn't work. 

However, I did more research and found out how to fix the numlock issue and waalahhh. Here I am with my new CMSTORM quickfire TK with cherry mx RED switch this time and so far I'm loving it.  I always thought that I would rather have the tactile feedbacks like blue switches but the reds aren't bad at all.  I actually really like how it feels typing on reds. 

The only thing I don't like about this keyboard is actually the material of the keycaps on this keyboard.  I don't actually know what material it is but it feels really rubbery when I type on it and was considering switching them out for other keys.  However, while researching, I found out that the TK actually doesn't have standard keys so it might be hard for me to switch the keycaps out.  Any suggestions?
QuickfireTK MX Reds         v60 mini MX Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Herrrrooooo
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 23:40:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Reds are the same weight as browns - do you still find that you hit the wrong key occasionally?

Yes, Quickjfire TK does have a slightly non-standard layout.  Although you could probably cobble something that matches together out of various options available in a group buy, maybe someone else has already done this and can suggest exactly which options you need.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline julayyy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 00:14:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Reds are the same weight as browns - do you still find that you hit the wrong key occasionally?

Yes, Quickjfire TK does have a slightly non-standard layout.  Although you could probably cobble something that matches together out of various options available in a group buy, maybe someone else has already done this and can suggest exactly which options you need.

Yeah, that's what I thought was strange too.  Reds and browns are both 45g but I don't know.  I kept double tapping when I was using browns for some reasons.  Which is also weird because reds are known for being great for fps games for the double tapping.... something is weird...

I'm looking around in group buys right now and can't seem find something that I like.
QuickfireTK MX Reds         v60 mini MX Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 00:26:57 »
Have a look in the Signature Plastics area too.

And GeekKeys.

And [CTRL]ALT while you're at it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ