Author Topic: EK's "Soft-Landing" Pads for Cherry MX  (Read 65608 times)

Offline Zet

EK's "Soft-Landing" Pads for Cherry MX
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 13:00:30 »
I'm really gonna try to make some landing pads on my own, since I cannot get the ones from EK, and give them a try when my filco m2 with reds arrives.
What I really would like to know is, how long do this last, at some point they might just get a little more flat and then just do nothing, but when would that point come, soon or not?

Offline sordna

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 13:16:35 »
No way to telll for sure, it depends on the material. Silicon or rubber o-rings should last for years. Even the soft landing pads (especially the gray ones) seem durable. But if you use some sort of foam material with bubbles, that might go flat in a few months. Someone mentioned making landing pads out of a tire tube. That should be very durable as well. You need to find a tube with wall thickness around 1.5mm. Usually, mountain bike tire tubes state the thickness, take a look:
http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/cycling/bike-tubes-and-bike-tubes-care/
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline elef

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 19 May 2011, 01:26:56 »
I tried bike innertubes, it's not that great. If you use a hole punch that makes just the right hole (5mm?) then you might be able to make it work, but if you can't make evenly sized holes, all your keys will feel a bit different (the ones with smaller holes won't lay flat and feel mushy). If you try this, definitely get some heavy duty thick tubes. Normal tubes will probably be too thin to work.

I'll try and find some soft 5mmx1.5mm O-rings, thanks for the info.

Offline elef

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 03:31:47 »
Quote from: sordna;348010
Actually, the 008 o-rings are ~ 1.6mm in thickness, and this reduces key travel somewhat. Also the inner diameter is tighter than it needs to be. You can get metric o-rings in Europe that are 1.5mm thick (and with 5mm inner diameter) which in my opinion would be better than the american ones! I suggest you go to a hardware store and buy a few o-rings with the following specs to try, they should be a few euro cents each!

Inner diameter: 5mm
Thickness: 1.5mm (This means the outer diameter would be 8mm)
Material: doesn't matter.
Durometer (hardness): get the lowest you can find, 70 is the standard, but 50 or lower would be better (softer).

Report back. We might be asking you to ship us some :-)

Reporting back: a couple of days ago I went to get some O-rings. Your specs are bang on the money. 5 mm is a perfect fit for my filco keycaps and 1.5 thickness seems to be just right. When I push down a key as far as it will go, it doesn't seem to be any higher up than adjacent keys that don't have an o-ring on them. So travel is not significantly affected, but the loud landing clack is gone. All I could find was 70 durometer o-rings, so they are pretty firm but I don't mind. I wouldn't want the landing to be softer, really.
These things cost me about 0.056 EUR each, so about 5-6 EUR for a full keyboard.
The only thing is... I'm not sure I like them. They make the keyboard more civilized-sounding but I sort of miss the manly clack. I guess the ideal solution for me would be to get some thicker, quieter keycaps instead of using o-rings. The filco caps are a bit too over-the top but the o-rings are a bit too muted for me.
Still, if you need to dial down the volume of your cherries for the sake of your spouse or co-workers, 5x1.5 o-rings are thoroughly recommended.

Offline kwantz

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 16:26:06 »
I wanted to bump this back up, so what are people views on these? Are the people who bought them still using them? Also to the people who bought both, soft and firm, which one are you using now and why?
Also to the people using these on cherry blues (seems like most people are using these on browns, black and reds, to make them quieter)  what about people using blues who want that extra tactile feel but want them slightly quieter?
What’s your view on them did it actually make them noticeably quieter??

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 18:23:31 »
I got both the soft landing pads and the firm landing pads. I am sorry to say, but I am no longer using any of them. While they were nice to dampen the clack, overtime I realized that what The Solutor said was true: dampening switches really kills the soul of the keyboard for me. The o-rings were the best mod by far, but then when I got the Cherry MX reds in I found that I really did not even need them anymore. So now I am just using the keyboards virgin I guess (if that is what you would call it). Also, for some reason now I am really starting to appreciate the differences between the keyboard switches more. I even am starting to long for the loud clickyness of the Cherry MX Blues again (I can't use them while I am working so I had to shelve my Blackwidow Ultimate for awhile). So I am not using the pads anymore. I have yet to get rid of them, though.
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 18:52:23 »
Quote from: kwantz;391168
I wanted to bump this back up, so what are people views on these? Are the people who bought them still using them? Also to the people who bought both, soft and firm, which one are you using now and why?
Also to the people using these on cherry blues (seems like most people are using these on browns, black and reds, to make them quieter)  what about people using blues who want that extra tactile feel but want them slightly quieter?
What’s your view on them did it actually make them noticeably quieter??

I have the firm gray landing pads on my full size Filco with reds and the soft black landing pads on my Filco TKL also with reds. I've been using them for over a month and like them both for the very quiet and muted sound.  My Filco TKL is my absolute favorite. I wouldn't necessarily discount my full sized board but it definitely takes second place due to when I get a little crazy typing it does have the infamous Filco "ping".  My TKL with the softer pads and white PBT keycaps is just perfect for me.  For me it just doesn't get any better. The touch is so light that I feel like my fingers just float over the keys.  I can type for hours with no fatigue and that wasn't the case with other boards.  And the TKL has no "ping" whatsoever no matter how furiously I type.  I originally thought the firm landing pads would be the best as they are definitely more rubbery but I actually think I like the softer black ones even better. Try them both - small investment.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline Fred

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 07:35:18 »
Quote from: nhwhaup;391240
Try them both - small investment.

I wish! =(
Their page suggests 44.50$ for shipping a 0.9kg package, and "email" for lighter ones. Too bad they seemed to not like my email and never answered. :|
Although, it can't be *that* expensive if they're not sending it in a box (I'm guessing not for two sheets of whatever it's made of)... i think.

Offline greyhounds

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 12:28:58 »
Pad or o-rings won't change the installed height of the keycap. They will limit how far down the key can travel, however. If you compare two keys side by side, one with pads/o-rings and one without, you'll see what I mean.

Also, the effect of each varies with keycap type. Re-lengendable keys work better with pads than o-rings as the o-rings really limit their travel.

Offline sordna

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 12:39:19 »
I found that cherry doubleshots don't work well with o-rings either. Basically, the shorter the keycap stem, the more your keytravel will be affected.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 25333[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline redpill

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 12:45:02 »
I have a set of the gray landing pads if anyone wants to try them, I could never get used to the feel.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline keyjay

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 05:23:26 »
I see what seems to work best for some is going to http://www.mcmaster.com for metric o-rings at 5 mm ID and 1.5 mm thickness.

Now, I'm wondering about firmness. I see Durometer hardness of 70 seems to indeed be a standard and is available with those specs in silicone (part # 5233T31). I also see it available in 75 in Viton (part # 9263K121).

I see in this thread, though, it was suggested to seek a softer o-ring, maybe around 40.

I have no idea how those hardness levels compare to the "soft" vs "firm" landing pads available from EK, though. I do know I've learned enough to know that, given the choice between EK soft and firm pads, I'd definitely want to go with the firm pads.

Any idea how the EK firm pads might compare in firmness to an o-ring at a 40 or 70/75 firmness rating?

Offline sordna

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 09:27:56 »
My estimate is that the gray landing pads have a 30A durometer and the black ones have a 20A durometer. The firmness comes down to personal preference, mine is 40-50. McMaster part # 2418T114 ... wasdkeyboards.com sells the same thing for a bit more but it ends up cheaper with their free shipping.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 10:02:57 »
Quote from: sordna;412632
My estimate is that the gray landing pads have a 30A durometer and the black ones have a 20A durometer. The firmness comes down to personal preference, mine is 40-50. McMaster part # 2418T114 ... wasdkeyboards.com sells the same thing for a bit more but it ends up cheaper with their free shipping.

The McMaster part number you're using has a 4.47 mm diamater, which is narrower than the 5 mm that has been called ideal. You're finding it fits okay, though, huh? No stretching needed?

And it has a thickness of 1.778 mm, which is more than the 1.5 mm of the other choices I mentioned. That's almost 20% thicker, which is that much less room for travel. I don't know how much these small changes in travel matter but I'd assume we don't want to reduce it any more than necessary.

I wonder about firmness, too. If it's hard rubber but it's still rubber or something similar, isn't it still probably going to do the job better than what it was like with no dampener? I'm curious what it's like to get "too" firm. I'm sure I'll be able to find out for myself soon enough when I try a few choices.

The WASD offering is pretty interesting. They don't mention ID or hardness, but it's .5 mm in thickness! That's a lot less than the o-rings we've been looking at on McMaster that are all 1.5 mm thick and up. It's 1/3 of the thickness of the smallest alernative! And it's that much less change in the original range of travel, which seems desirable on the one hand, though I don't know if that also means it doesn't work as well because of there just being that much less to it.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 10:15:47 »
I just noticed in another thread someone estimating that EK gray "firm" landing pads are slightly softer than the Durometer 40 silicon o-rings they'd been using.

So, 70/75 might be a bit too firm to be really fun. I appreciate, of course, the comment that it comes down to personal preference.

Offline sordna

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 10:39:47 »
ID doesn't matter much, 4.5 to 5mm will work the same. Keycaps stems are 5.5mm anyway, some slight stretching is needed to keep the o-ring in place. wasdkeyboards o-rings are THE SAME as mcmaster part 2418T114. They are not .5mm in thickness, they just reduce key travel by that much.
Anyway, I encourage you to get both 008 size and 1.5mm metric o-rings and share the results with us.

Offline nikonf5

Comparison - EK soft vs WASD O-ring
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:28:31 »
Some points on this from a person who has WASD O-rings, EK soft pads and one un-modded key [E] on his DAS S with Blues.

Basically, I am an O-ring fan and my pads will go to my gf if she decides she wants to go mechanical after ogling my Filco Clicky at home next month as I figure she wont be able to tell the difference if she even wants blue switches.

<1> Mushiness
The EK soft pads are mushy enough that you can feel it when you are pressing down on a key till "the end".
I dont feel it when I am typing unless I really concentrate but it IS mushy so for anyone who cant stand even a little but of mushiness, there is that to consider.

The WASD O-rings do NOT have this problem at all and I mean, AT ALL.
I push down the same way as on the EK soft-pad modded key and where the pads mushiness can be felt, the even nature of the O-rings makes it seem part of the keyboard design as you dont feel anything at all.
The O-rings even remove the slight rotating wobble that Cherry MX keys normally have in their lowest position.
I have yet to see whether the O-rings from sordna's mod feel any different as McMaster Carr wont ship to Canada and oringsusa costs too much to ship here even if I knew the part#.
sordna uses silicone duro 50 but WASD hasnt specified anything except industrial nitrile rubber and although the duro isnt mentioned, I can tell you from pinching them that they aint soft at all.

<2> Ease Of Installation
It could be just me be being anal [this IS GeekHack] but putting the soft landing pads on is a pain as they are loose around the stem and putting the key on afterwards while thinking about not moving the pad around feels weird.
What the soft pads DO accomplish for you is you can feel the final bump of attaching a keycap back on with them whereas with the O-ring, I cant tell and I kept on pushing down on the keycap but no bump.
I have also removed keys after having the pads on for a while and there is not telling whether the pad will be under the keycap stuck on the stem, lying in the "diamond" position on the switch or exactly where you originally put it.

You can mod all your keys at once with the O-rings and they will stick to the stem and stay there until you are ready to put the keys back on allowing you to do everything in one step.
As mentioned before, being completely circular, they are also completely even and thus a lot better integrated solution.

<3> Sound Damping
Dont jump down my throat on this but this is something I have verified as objectively as I can considering the "theory" is mine.
This really only applies to the blue switches as thats all I have tested it with and those are the only ones that have noise "required" after getting rid of the bottoming-out clack.

Basically, the the landing pads cover the part of the blue stem that some of the click noise directly emanates from when you depress any blue switch.
Thus, the landing pad is also dampening the click sound as well as preventing the bottoming out sound.

I found keys with the O-ring mod to have a very sharp precise click as compared to muffling of the sound by the pad-modded keys.

This is a reverse-engineered assessment in the sense that I realised what was happening after I had O-ring modded a few WASD colored keycaps and replaced pad-modded regular Das keys, as opposed to knowing it would be this way and testing it after.

I will bring my Vernier's to work tomorrow and post the exact thickness of the WASD O-rings.

Offline Krumlin

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:34:29 »
I just got my Filco tenkeyless with mx browns - chose it based on all the good info on this site - thanks guys.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with some of the o-ring related mods, so I'm sharing some of my ideas and experiences.

O-Rings
I'm in the UK, so I've been trying to use what's available locally. The best fitting o-rings I found were a 0.208"(id) x 0.07"(thick) - these are a standard imperial size (at least in the UK) so they should be available from most engineering suppliers. For comparison - that's equivalent to 5.3mm x 1.78mm. I paid £5 for 100. They fit perfectly - no stretching required to fit them on the keycap stems, but they're just tight enough to not fall off.

The ones I got are a hard nitrile rubber - I'm guessing they're about 70 hardness which is very hard - I think it's about the same as car tyres. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with them - they definitely improve the keyboard (according to my preferences.) My experience is the same as others have reported - it gets rid of the 'clackiness' when you bottom out the keys. I think it's also changed the way I type slightly - if the bottom of the key stroke is a little softer (and a little higher) it seems to make you hit the keys more gently. Perhaps it's all psychological, but that's how it seems. All in all a worthwhile mod.

Felt
I couldn't find any silicone o-rings of the right size, so thought I'd experiment with some other things. One of the ideas I had was to use felt to make EK style landing pads. Felt is an obvious alternative to rubber type materials - it's used extensively in musical instruments for percussive damping, and it's used all over the place in industry and automotive applications for sound insulation.
So... I got some regular crafting felt - about 2mm thickness. Basically just punched it using a regular hole punch and hacked it in to squares of 'about the right size' using scissors.
My conclusion: pretty much useless! One layer made almost no difference to either the feel or the sound. Two layers did dampen the feel and the sound, but 4mm thickness starts to impede the keystroke too much and things start to feel mushy.

Other Ideas
I've had a couple more ideas but I haven't done anything with them yet:

(1) Rubber Washers.
As an alternative to o-rings. I can't find this mentioned anywhere, but I'm sure the idea must have occurred to others. An M5 1.5mm rubber washer with an outer diameter of about 10mm would probably be a useful alternative to o-rings. I was on the verge of ordering some of these when I had another idea...

(2) Silicone Mat.
I'm thinking of the type of silicone sheet/mat that they sell for baking/cooking. Never really looked at this stuff, but I'm sure it's about 2mm thick, and it should feel softer than the nitrile rubber. They didn't have any in the local hardware store this afternoon, but I might have a go at this when I can find some.
Another possibility would be the rubber sheet they sell for making gaskets - you can get it in quite small sheets in sizes of 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm etc but it's harder than silicone. A knife and a hole punch would quickly fashion these in to the required landing pad shape. If/when I do this, I'll report back.

Hope someone finds this useful...

Offline N8N

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:39:53 »
Quote from: nikonf5;412945

The WASD O-rings do NOT have this problem at all and I mean, AT ALL.
I push down the same way as on the EK soft-pad modded key and where the pads mushiness can be felt, the even nature of the O-rings makes it seem part of the keyboard design as you dont feel anything at all.
The O-rings even remove the slight rotating wobble that Cherry MX keys normally have in their lowest position.
I have yet to see whether the O-rings from sordna's mod feel any different as McMaster Carr wont ship to Canada and oringsusa costs too much to ship here even if I knew the part#.
sordna uses silicone duro 50 but WASD hasnt specified anything except industrial nitrile rubber and although the duro isnt mentioned, I can tell you from pinching them that they aint soft at all.

ISTR Weyman posting that he was trying the O-rings that sordna mentioned, so they very well may be the exact same ones that you would get from ordering from McMaster-Carr.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline sordna

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 17:38:58 »
Let's transfer the o-ring conversation to the o-ring wiki discussion.

The present thread should focus on soft-landing pads, which is a fine product by the way, here's a photo I took when I got them, next to my favorite keyboard:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26193[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 September 2011, 09:53:52 by sordna »

Offline keyjay

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 01:39:24 »
Quote from: sordna;413012
The red silicon ones that can be seen in some photos are posted, are 40 durometer, slightly softer than the mcmaster/wasdkeyboards ones, but still firmer than the firm (gray) landing pads.

I really respect and appreciate all the thorough investigation and reporting you've been doing on this subject, so please take this question in that context.

How do you know those are what you describe? The ones I found at http://www.McMaster.com part # 5233T31 are 5mm x 1.5 mm x Duro 70 and they're also red silicon.

Offline sordna

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:18:04 »
I have no idea about the 5233T31 ones. The only mcmaster o-rings I have tried are the black 2418T114 ones.
My red ones I purchased from oringsusa (not mcmaster) so I know very well what I'm describing. Please re-read my posts, I provided accurate and clear information.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:37:05 »
Quote from: sordna;413193
I have no idea about the 5233T31 ones. The only mcmaster o-rings I have tried are the black 2418T114 ones.
My red ones I purchased from oringsusa (not mcmaster) so I know very well what I'm describing. Please re-read my posts, I provided accurate and clear information.

sordna, I'm not debating or attacking you. Seriously. Please. I was just wondering if you were aware of that variation.

I assumed when you said "The red silicon ones that can be seen in some photos [that] are posted, are XYZ" you were referring to various photos posted by others -- in which case we wouldn’t know for sure which they had unless they all stated it.

Maybe I misunderstood and you were referring to photos you posted yourself. Or maybe they did al state what they had.

Actually, not to quibble, but in that sense you really weren't accurate and clear.

Either way, it's certainly not worth belaboring.

I just mentioned it because I felt that since you obviously are meticulous and through you'd genuinely appreciate this being pointed out for others and ourselves in our team efforts to learn more together.

Well, I guess now it’s clear that red o-rings in various photos could be a variety of sizes and hardness.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:41:16 »
@sordna,

Maybe that was just a typo and you meant to type "some photos I posted," in which case my comments are obviously moot.

Let's not bash heads over a typo.

We all make mistakes. I once thought I made a mistake, but I was wrong.

Offline sordna

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:53:55 »
It's a typo alright, I ment some photos I posted. I fixed it: are -> I. But still, even with the typo, what I wrote does not imply that my red o-rings came from mcmaster. And my post that ranks them all clearly says that I am ranking the stuff I have tried. Also, apart from the photos, I do mention that the red 40 durometer o-rings come from oringsusa.com. Anyway, to avoid all this babbling at the expense of other readers, how about you delete your last 2 posts, and I'll delete this one in return.  :-)

Offline keyjay

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 02:59:01 »
Quote from: sordna;413206
It's a typo alright, I ment some photos I posted. I fixed it: are -> I. But still, even with the typo, what I wrote does not imply that my red o-rings came from mcmaster. And my post that ranks them all clearly says that I am ranking the stuff I have tried. Also, apart from the photos, I do mention that the red 40 durometer o-rings come from oringsusa.com. Anyway, to avoid all this babbling at the expense of other readers, how about you delete your last 2 posts, and I'll delete this one in return.  :-)

Absolutely! With pleasure! ;-)