Author Topic: My dismay, high end chair shopping  (Read 5527 times)

Offline typo

My dismay, high end chair shopping
« on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 15:09:16 »
So I went to a large reputable warehouse. I do trust that the salesman sounded to be an expert. Ultimately he suggested a BodyBilt Big Man's chair. I declined as it seems to be something I can get elsewhere for $500. Not $2,500.

What was interesting was all the expensive chairs he slammed that I cannot fit in anyways. He showed me how poorly constructed Allsteel, Steel built, Humanscale, Herman Miller are. When he demonstrated it did seem to be so. Plus he said most of them are very uncomfortable. He says if they are uncomfortable how does that help posture? He had these chairs in various states of dissemble and I could see the glue, staples, plastic, careless application of such. It did not matter because I do not fit properly in those chairs anyways. After he said this it backfired on him because I felt the same regarding the one he suggested.

So, I am saying one might be surprised what they actually got for $1,000-$3,000. I gather some hold up some do not. I think perhaps older chairs were much better. The corner cutting may have not started until recent years. I did plainly see how poorly these are constructed. Or at least he wanted me to. I do not think it was an illusion though. Most of these chairs are no better than a $300-$500 one from what I take. Of course if you get down to big box store level they are junk as well. I think you will find good stuff out there at reasonable pricing. These super expensive chairs do not seem to be a good investment. Mine are fine because I never really used them. Upon long term use I have no clue how these things slapped together will hold up. I am glad he showed me this but he must have had some agenda which I was not aware of.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: My dismay, high end chair shopping
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 15:52:15 »
They're out of their minds.

People don't understand or respect what $2500 means..

If China can build and make a profit on 80 inch TVs @ less than $1000 ...   GTFO with that $2500 chair.. FK YOU ... NO,  GO TO HELL..

Complete idiocy..

It's one thing to buy a name brand item to show off.. where the price is the point..

But no such luxury label exist for ergonomic chairs, and so the cost simply can not be justified..

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 16:07:29 »
Just get a large size Aeron. What you tried at the store may have been the small or medium size. The large size fits people upto 6'6 and 300 pounds.

Once you adjust it, sit in one and get used to it there's no going back to any other chair.

I bought mine from a liquidation sale of a local tech company. Half price. You should be able to do the same. Tech companies close down all the time, and invariably, all the decent ones buy Aeron chairs (for good reason).

edit: Just checked. There's a listing for one at $400 right now locally to me. I probably shouldn't have checked. I really want it at that price.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 16:11:15 by clappingcactus »

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 19:55:04 »
As usual we agree TP. He showed me an Aeron "C". I am considerably bigger than that! Incidentally that was the one chair he said was halfway decent. I have an embody too small but he showed me how cheaply made it is. He said the Mira is alright too. TP is right though. Now I know you can get something very similar for $300 if you look around. They do not have some monopoly on these but maybe patents. Still, considering how some of these are made there is absolutely no reason they command that money. Like tp said some one else can build the same damn rubbish for a easier price at least. I would have never picked on them until he showed me just what you are getting for that money. They are laughing at us. I bought some crazy price LED lamp from one of those companies, it burnt out. Sent for warranty and returned all scratched! The hell with this stuff. Again, per tp it is not a Rolex where everyone simply sees what you spent. Especially since for instance an Omega is a much better watch IMO.

I was just amazed to see how poorly some chairs are made in respect to what they cost. I really do not know what prompted him to let the cat out of the bag on these.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 20:04:27 »
At the end of the day, you are doing it all wrong! If you are thinking of justifying a good and expensive chair because you spent too much time sitting, therein lies the problem. You should not be sitting that long! Get up, walk a bit, stretch - go out for a walk ! You will feel much better!

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 00:35:03 »
I do. I am older but I am extremely athletic. Plus stand up table. This guy actually did us all a huge favor. Of course anyone could just check Amazon. If a 2 grand chair has 75% 1 star over 100 reviews I certainly would not buy one! Some are good plus expensive and some expensive ones are not good. This was more about the quality of them these days and not what I actually needed. It does seem older ones were built better.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 02:28:41 »
Large furniture companies are frequently scams, or at least not honest. They mark up the price so they can then sell stuff at sensational discounts. Most of the items come from china for a fraction of the price that they sell them for. Pretty standard stuff. You also shouldn't trust the "experts" of those stores, unless you truly know the guys are responsible and professional. Most of the sales people don't know crap about ergonomics and just try to sell the most expensive item they can, because that's how they make money.

As for quality, most chairs above a certain price point are more or less of equal quality, what you really pay for with more expensive brands is design and research + features (+ niche tax). A chair doesn't need to look good on the inside, rarely any industrially manufactured product looks good on the inside, because that's irrelevant as long as the product works. Corner cutting like that is nothing new.

Also the claim that uncomfortable means bad is quite far from the truth. Ideally a chair needs to engage your body and maintain good posture, this requires some amount of discomfort. Naturally there's a difference between poor fit and discomfort.

If China can build and make a profit on 80 inch TVs @ less than $1000 ...   GTFO with that $2500 chair.. FK YOU ... NO,  GO TO HELL..

Electronic components are pretty cheap nowadays, and electronics are manufactured mostly through automatic processes. Furniture is still mostly manufactured/assembled by hand, which takes a lot more time and money. Especially if the chair is manufactured in a 1st world country and uses real leather for example then the price may very well be justified, but it's up to the buyer to decide if it's worth it. Not that I would pay 2.5K for a chair. The Chinese market tends to skew our perception of value of certain products.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 07:55:30 »
At the end of the day, you are doing it all wrong! If you are thinking of justifying a good and expensive chair because you spent too much time sitting, therein lies the problem. You should not be sitting that long! Get up, walk a bit, stretch - go out for a walk ! You will feel much better!

Tp4 standing desk  8 hours per day..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 08:10:55 »

inb4 tp4 starts spamming about varicose veins, because the relationship with standing has been well established since this classic study: Standing at work and varicose veins

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 08:15:56 »
Furniture is such a waste of money. FORGET FURNITURE, BUY VEGIES.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 10:38:13 »

Furniture is such a waste of money. FORGET FURNITURE, BUY VEGIES.

//High fiver

inb4 tp4 starts spamming about varicose veins, because the relationship with standing has been well established since this classic study: Standing at work and varicose veins

Those are NON-Vegans..

Varicose veins through standing only affects people who eat a standard western diet with high fats content.

The lipids damage the endothelial membrane inside ALL of the body's blood vessels. This leads to significantly reduced ability of the veins to dilate leading to undue stress on the vein's pressure flow valves.   Finally ending up in varicose veins.

Vegan Tp4 is Immune.. !! 

You're probably thinking.. Tp4,  u cray cray, u just made that up..

When they studied the difference in pressure disease between RURAL (Black) south Africans and WHITE south Africans.

The White south Africans had 25x the rate of Varicose veins, and 50x the rate other PRESSURE related diseases/cancers

181164-0

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 00:43:25 »
holy smokes tp you are a vegan too? Man this is scary. You and I seriously see eye to eye on a lot of stuff. I am a freakin' raw vegan. All I have eaten for the last 65+ years is raw fruit and veggie. I am not a rail. I am above the size limit of most of these chairs. They are mostly made for a certain percentile, bmi. That is smart financially for them as these are in fact expensive to produce and making huge chairs that do not sell is a waste to them. Although there are some very good big/tall chairs and these the price is insane but only part of it is markup. limited audience and cost a lot to make, Being over 7 feet tall and really buff actually has many disadvantages. Cannot change my height and I feel muscle is a heck a lot better than fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. Still, for my height I am not so heavy really. I would like a nice big/tall chair and even comfy but the price is a big deal.

As far as the big name brand chairs being haphazardly filed with glue,staples etc. that is not true I think. A really good one should look clean inside I would think unless I simply do not understand the construction of such an item. For instance if you look at good stereo amplifiers, even good Chinese made ones. Expensive to some but different price ranges. You wil find the good ones have all the wires routed tidy, soldering well done without too much flux etc. I do not know if this would apply to the very nature of chairs. A bunch of glue all over the inside, staples all over etc I am not sure if that is actually called for. He used this as a demonstration of them being poor quality. I saw several pictures of snapped in half Embodys on the net. I like the embody but simply way too big. The Aeron and Mira imo certainly are nice chairs. Other manufactures too. Bodybilt is great for hard to fit and comfy too but big money. First they charge $$$ just for a fitment session. Perhaps that very philosophy pays dividends though. Hardly any other company actually fits a chair. I mean you could get a aeron B not knowing you really need an A. The sales folk will usually sell the most expensive item that happens to be in stock. Not always if you trust them but often.

I understand proper posture may not be comfy but it does not absolutely have to be that way. I think bodybilt is great in this respect but will not spend that since multiple animals here will enjoy it as well. that is a specific issue to me however. It is stil hard to swallow on a chair. Other big/ tall chairs are still up there. I am not talking office depot or Ikea. Those simply are not good for your health. Health being important to me. I have the means to spend it but it seems absurd. I agree that China has us thinking differently. All of these are made in the most developed countries including US so of course they cost more to begin with.

I think the answer is to find something clean used. They are everywhere so no problem there. If well built they should last decades.

Some may be built better than others but either way the money is hard to swallow unless used. That seems the smart way to buy one. Tha I do not eat the depreciation someone else did.

One thing I would be very wary of is relax the back. They sell a little known chair, built to order. You can easily run it over 4 grand with options. It does not even appear to be a ergonomic chair but perhaps very comfortable. I don't know, have not tried it. There is most certainly no reason to spend that amount on that little known brand even if it is very good. Since you will unlikely find one used and you/me will take the huge depreciation hit. If one loves it then they have to consider but from the looks of it, it does not even promote proper posture.

One option for more average sized people may be the also little seen Recaro. They make the finest car seats. Although what makes a good car seat does not necessarily make a good office chair. A car seat is made to hold you put in those kind of cars.

Barring that you cannot find bodybilt used and would not get the fitment which may be key I shall just find a good clean used big/tall chair of the best I can. I have a very good chair that was fine for years but indeed the animals accelerated it's wear. Which is another reason It makes most sense for me to buy used. I do not need a brand new $$$ chair with a stain or tear the first week. Only serving to further decrease it's resale value. I cannot rightfully sell this now. I would say overall the smart thing to do is buy clean used. Since the huge price on these things plummets after initial usage. Just be careful there are, like everything else scammers out there. Sell you a destroyed chair for too much to begin with. Hopefully multiple pictures are present. The are also unscrupulous companies that will sell used/wron as new. If their new price is too low to be true, be wary.   

That is my thinking on this subject and I apologize that it took me so many words to convey so.