Author Topic: First topre board...I can't go back  (Read 4374 times)

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
First topre board...I can't go back
« on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 21:25:28 »
I got a topre type heaven and I love it I have tried matias click buckling spring cherry nature whites and clears and topre just feels so good compared to these I love the cushoney feel so much.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: First topre board...I can't go back
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 22:03:05 »
It's nice to find what you like. I'm the polar opposite: I like tactile and auditory feedback at actuation, and plenty of it. Pillows are for sleeping, not typing. Just kidding. Your preference is perfectly valid.

I'm just glad we've gotten to this mechanical keyboard renaissance, with so many choices. It was a very dark time, the late 1990s and early 2000s. Nothing but crap rubber dome keyboards everywhere you looked.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 22:08:34 »
It's nice to find what you like. I'm the polar opposite: I like tactile and auditory feedback at actuation, and plenty of it. Pillows are for sleeping, not typing. Just kidding. Your preference is perfectly valid.

I'm just glad we've gotten to this mechanical keyboard renaissance, with so many choices. It was a very dark time, the late 1990s and early 2000s. Nothing but crap rubber dome keyboards everywhere you looked.
Yeah I agree I'm starting to think I might like every thing because topre doesn't feel better it just feels different but in a good way

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 22:57:01 »
I've had three different Topre keyboards: a Type Heaven and a pair of Realforces (one regular, and one silenced).  The Type Heaven was my favorite of the three.  If I had PBT keycaps on the Type Heaven, I'd probably have my perfect keyboard.  I just wasn't a fan of how light and mushy the Realforces lighter weight keys felt, and I really like the styling of the Type Heaven.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 03:48:40 »
I can't decide between Topre and Model M.

So I switch between them.

Except ... my Topre boards seem to be getting a bit more mileage lately.  And the SSK I have at work has not been used for a while in favour of a CODE (although in that case I need the meta key for lots of things).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 06:51:36 »

Yep. I remember those times and thinking back now, my wrist and fingers have suffered due to those cheap, rubber-domed turds.

A quality topre board is great. I prefer doing all typing-intensive work on topre.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:35:31 »

Except ... my Topre boards seem to be getting a bit more mileage lately.  And the SSK I have at work has not been used for a while in favour of a CODE (although in that case I need the meta key for lots of things).
I can totally agree because I feel like I would defiantly want to switch but i'm probably going to use my topre a little bit more but I use a pok3rle at school that I like so you can't do much about that and a hhkb is so expensive so...

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 10:37:54 »

Yeah I agree I'm still going to use cherry and I also have a model m so I kinda like everything and I use a pok3rle at school and it's cherry mx nature white so that's a cherry board and I have like 5 other keyboards so I think I might just like all of them.

Offline maxf

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:47:36 »
I've had three different Topre keyboards: a Type Heaven and a pair of Realforces (one regular, and one silenced).  The Type Heaven was my favorite of the three.  If I had PBT keycaps on the Type Heaven, I'd probably have my perfect keyboard.  I just wasn't a fan of how light and mushy the Realforces lighter weight keys felt, and I really like the styling of the Type Heaven.
How do these compare to the HHKB?

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 11:49:30 »
I started out with MX reds in all my keyboards because when I got started with all this a couple of years ago, I really thought I was a linear guy. But then I tried a Topre board, I haven't gone back since either. With silencing rings installed, they make exactly the right amount of noise for me, which is to say very little. No discernable upstroke noise, and only that lovely soft thock on the way down. I don't know of any other switch that has these qualities.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 12:01:38 »
I started out with MX reds in all my keyboards because when I got started with all this a couple of years ago, I really thought I was a linear guy. But then I tried a Topre board, I haven't gone back since either. With silencing rings installed, they make exactly the right amount of noise for me, which is to say very little. No discernable upstroke noise, and only that lovely soft thock on the way down. I don't know of any other switch that has these qualities.
Yeah i started using my pok3r at wow did it feel weird it feel way too loud and chattery and it had nature whites so they had the new stems but I don't know could just be that topre is so different

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 16:39:09 »

Yeah I agree I'm still going to use cherry and I also have a model m so I kinda like everything and I use a pok3rle at school and it's cherry mx nature white so that's a cherry board and I have like 5 other keyboards so I think I might just like all of them.

I have at least a dozen other keyboards with various switches.  I found that I don't like MX reds, not keen on MX blues, like blacks, greens are ok, NEC blue oval switches were great years ago, but have not aged well in comparison to modern switches, and I like clears.

Fortunately I went through most of those before I found BS and Topre.

I do switch around for variety sometimes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 17:09:41 »

I have at least a dozen other keyboards with various switches.  I found that I don't like MX reds, not keen on MX blues, like blacks, greens are ok, NEC blue oval switches were great years ago, but have not aged well in comparison to modern switches, and I like clears.

I also have a lot from matias to mx clears so yeah I can totally agree with you it just takes me some time after i get a new board to adapt to the other switches

Offline haulannie

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 09:48:33 »

I also have a lot from matias to mx clears so yeah I can totally agree with you it just takes me some time after i get a new board to adapt to the other switches

Topre is the Model M of Rubber Domes!

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 10:46:05 »

Yes it feels like they fixed all the rubber dome issues but kept the good stuff

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 10:46:46 »

Yes it really does feel like it improves on the rubber dome but it keeps all the good stuff

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 21:26:24 »

OMG I can't believe there's someone who actually agree with me regarding Type Heaven.

I actually quite like my Type Heaven even though people usually knock it for its ABS keycaps.  If you ignore the keycaps, I think the Type Heaven is actually more sturdy also better looking (more modern) than Realforce (yes I own a Realforce).

The 45g on Type Heaven just feels great.

I liked it enough to buy another Type Heaven and swap the domes with my Realforce just to get the 45g uniform (I sold the variable Type Heaven after).  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68076.0

Though maybe I should really try to swap the PBT keycaps from my Realforce onto the Type Heaven just to see what happens.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 21:51:52 »
One I had topre, to cherry I said nopre.

Truth be told, I stull use clears and silent blacks, but I woould just assume always be on topre now.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 23:21:45 »
lol it's ok me too, I still swap board from time to time.  I like different switches for different reasons.

They're all good just different.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:26:27 »
lol it's ok me too, I still swap board from time to time.  I like different switches for different reasons.

They're all good just different.
Yeah I agree when I tried topre I just had to get used to the other switches

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 01:08:49 »
OP: The good news is, you don't have to go back.

That said, it's human nature to get used to stuff not matter how excellent it may be. So if for nothing else, you may want to keep a few other high-quality keebs around to use a bit now and then so you can re-appreciate your favorite.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg