Author Topic: Retro keyboard with LCD  (Read 9189 times)

Offline GMatt

Retro keyboard with LCD
« on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 04:08:27 »
Just getting into this project after seeing an old HP-85 for sale. Thought I might be able to design a keyboard with a similar back panel containing a screen and some switches. Couldn’t find a good beige acrylic at my laser cutting place so I’ve gone for an Atari colour scheme of gloss black and dark wood.
This is my first go using laser cut flat parts to make a 3D design and I’m pretty happy with how it’s come out.
For reference the hole on the left of the back panel will house a 4 line LCD which I’ll use to report Caps Lock On, that sort of thing. I already have the display and it seems pretty simple to drive from my Teensy Arduino Board. The toggles on the right are labeled, just waiting on a momentary toggle for the page up/ page down switch as that one has to spring back to centre after being moved.
Switches-wise I’m intending to use Cherry MX black with 85g springs. Haven’t decided on keycaps yet, but something like PimpMyKeyboarf’s Grolsch is appealing.
Let me know what you think so far, or if you have any questions. Happy to go into any details.
205743-0

Offline Tactile

Re: Retro keyboard with LCD
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 09:25:24 »
Very cool. I vote for Nuclear Data for a true retro look.
205791-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline GMatt

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 05:38:32 »
Nice! But maybe one the large side for just a keyboard?  ;D

Mine now has the LCD in and working, together with LEDs for Caps Lock and so on
205869-0

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 09:41:52 »
Nice! But maybe one the large side for just a keyboard?  ;D

I was talking about the keycap set. The photo was just to show a real Nuclear Data terminal and their keyboard/caps. The link in my post is to the page showing the Nuclear Data set from Signature Plastics.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 09:56:31 »
I find that layout disturbing. :D
No Control key to the left of A, Delete key in a different spot, no right Alt key ...

How do you program the Insert toggle? AFAIK, USB does not even have a lock-light for that one and otherwise, USB does not have a defined relationship between light and key — it is the host that turns the lights on and off and sometimes a host doesn't.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 October 2018, 09:59:37 by Findecanor »

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 01:43:57 »
This looks sooo cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline GMatt

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 02:37:22 »
I was talking about the keycap set. The photo was just to show a real Nuclear Data terminal and their keyboard/caps. The link in my post is to the page showing the Nuclear Data set from Signature Plastics.

Ahh I see! I got distracted by the awesome terminal! Yeah Nuclear looks nice actually, I like the really dark green they used. I could also be tempted by the Coffee set

I really want the caps they used on the old HP which had “End line” for the return key, can’t find a set like that though.

Offline GMatt

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 02:40:51 »
I find that layout disturbing. :D
No Control key to the left of A, Delete key in a different spot, no right Alt key ...
Yeah that’s just personal preference, I usually take the keys off if I don’t use them. Pretty much never use the righ modifiers so they usually go.

How do you program the Insert toggle? AFAIK, USB does not even have a lock-light for that one and otherwise, USB does not have a defined relationship between light and key — it is the host that turns the lights on and off and sometimes a host doesn't.

I monitor the status of insert, caps, scroll lock etc and set the LEDs myself. I appreciate that for Insert that probably can’t be done reliably, didn’t really think that through! But since I don’t use it much I figure it’ll mostly be ok
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 October 2018, 02:57:20 by GMatt »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 08:39:55 »
I monitor the status of insert, caps, scroll lock etc and set the LEDs myself. I appreciate that for Insert that probably can’t be done reliably, didn’t really think that through! But since I don’t use it much I figure it’ll mostly be ok
BTW. TMK supports latching lock keys (and I suppose forks like QMK do too) by sending fake key presses if the light changes to something else than internal state. But as I said, it does not always work in all circumstances.
I remember in an older version of Linux when I had two keyboards plugged in and pressed Num Lock on one, the light changed only on that keyboard even though the interpretation of the numpad changed for keys from all plugged-in keyboards.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 17:55:45 »
Nice! There's something very cool with the contrast of the retro and an LCD display too. Definitely like it!

Offline GMatt

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:47:06 »
Thought I'd add some images of the final keyboard.
I'm really happy with how the chassis turned out, the piano black with the wood panels looks really 80's Atari style.
The only mistake was the insert key, which I had to change to be a non-latching toggle because it doesn't behave like caps lock and scroll lock. So now that switch springs back to center after you press it, effectively behaving like any other key switch.
Maybe if I did it again I'd add a headphone jack too, because that'd definitely fit in. But overall, my best keyboard yet, now onto the next one!

211721-0
211723-1
211725-2

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 18:19:33 »
This is very very interesting

Offline nevin

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 22:02:19 »
love the "not quite standard" layout. definitely lends itself to the period/theme you are shooting for.
212428-0
photo courtesy of: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46957.msg1070610#msg1070610

for caps...
for the look your going for, shuold be spherical/high profile, should be large centerd legends for the alpha numeric, preferably a lighter color keycap. black or dark would blend into the case.

alps skcc are still a viable option and have probably the widest variety of vintage sphericals more readily available then vintage mx sphericals (i could be wrong though)
skcc should fit in mx plate
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_keyboard_codes
- Alps AKB-3420
- Some Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I (1979)
- Some Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III[2]
- Some Texas Instruments TI-99/4A
- Apple m0110, Apple m0110a, Apple m0120 (tall cream)
- IBM 6113442 (green)
- IBM 5954339 (green)

you could do commodore 64 caps w/adapters for mx switches
https://www.breadbox64.com/blog/c64-keyboard-prototype/

other than that.... find a new SA set you like & run with it.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Anakey

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 04:17:22 »
hmm the insert key could have worked depending on the firmware if they support locking switches. you could also have done the LED at the same time assuming you had a locking switch with 2 separate sets of contacts so one set would be the actual switch the other set would be for the LED so both would be active at the same time.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:39:16 »
Just getting into this project after seeing an old HP-85 for sale. Thought I might be able to design a keyboard with a similar back panel containing a screen and some switches. Couldn’t find a good beige acrylic at my laser cutting place so I’ve gone for an Atari colour scheme of gloss black and dark wood.
This is my first go using laser cut flat parts to make a 3D design and I’m pretty happy with how it’s come out.
For reference the hole on the left of the back panel will house a 4 line LCD which I’ll use to report Caps Lock On, that sort of thing. I already have the display and it seems pretty simple to drive from my Teensy Arduino Board. The toggles on the right are labeled, just waiting on a momentary toggle for the page up/ page down switch as that one has to spring back to centre after being moved.
Switches-wise I’m intending to use Cherry MX black with 85g springs. Haven’t decided on keycaps yet, but something like PimpMyKeyboarf’s Grolsch is appealing.
Let me know what you think so far, or if you have any questions. Happy to go into any details.
(Attachment Link)
Amazing! I reccomend you get a set that looks like the old honeywell keyboards.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 02:25:08 »
Do you have any additional pictures of the back/sides, etc? Would love to see how this connects and looks internally as well.

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 06:15:38 »
Amazing work.

Offline extant_pedant

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 19:34:10 »
Glorious!  :thumb:

Offline Starius

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 16:03:54 »
I'd like to see what a MT3 profile keycap set looked like on that.