Author Topic: Leopold FC660C  (Read 312560 times)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
Re: Leopold FC660C
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:16:18 »
I'm still waiting for a white one, but as my non-existend IT budget has been depleted, I am unlikely to be able to get one if a few white ones suddenly appear.

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to a white one but I caved because I wanted to try a small form factor Topre for my new work. If a white one comes out, I'll just sell this one and pay a lil' more for the white one :D This is all assuming I end up liking Topre :))

I caved in and got HHKB Pro 2 ;)

I would have bought the FC660C in white in a heartbeat if it had been available at the time.

Ooo HKKB Pro 2. I want to try that baby in the future just so I can have a comparison. I'm actually attempting to look for a set of White RF key caps so I can put them on the 660C. We all know how that's going :))

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:33:14 »
I'm still waiting for a white one, but as my non-existend IT budget has been depleted, I am unlikely to be able to get one if a few white ones suddenly appear.

I am in the same boat as you when it comes to a white one but I caved because I wanted to try a small form factor Topre for my new work. If a white one comes out, I'll just sell this one and pay a lil' more for the white one :D This is all assuming I end up liking Topre :))

I would have bought the FC660C in white in a heartbeat if it had been available at the time.

Ooo HKKB Pro 2. I want to try that baby in the future just so I can have a comparison. I'm actually attempting to look for a set of White RF key caps so I can put them on the 660C. We all know how that's going :))

Will the keycaps from the RF 87u work for the Leopold FC660C? What about the spacebar? If the keycaps fit, then the only other problem is getting an extra left shift to use as the right shift keycap.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:34:43 »

Will the keycaps from the RF 87u work for the Leopold FC660C? What about the spacebar? If the keycaps fit, then the only other problem is getting an extra left shift to use as the right shift keycap.

I believe all the keycaps fit except for the entire bottom row of the 660C (alt, ctrl, windows, fn, spacebar), and the right Shift key.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 22:54:42 »

I believe all the keycaps fit except for the entire bottom row of the 660C (alt, ctrl, windows, fn, spacebar), and the right Shift key.
Yikes! That still leaves quite a few keycaps to replace. It seems that one of the the main issues with both the FC660M and the FC660C is finding replacement keycaps. In particular, with respect to its Cherry-switch boards, Leopold makes it difficult by adhering to a different standard for the spacing of the mounting stems from the more commonly used standard found in boards made by Filco, CoolerMaster, and others.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 14:38:59 »
Got me ma 660C today! Feels amazing! Flipped the spacebar and added a Red ESC key :P

Update: Just flipped dip switch 3 which switched the windows key with the fn key. The fn key felt awkward where it was on the right.

Here are also some rough youtube videos I uploaded of me typing on it:

This video has less accurate audio but shows off the board a bit more:

This video has a slightly more accurate recording of the sound:
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2013, 04:52:33 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Muldoonite

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:24:38 »
I'm thinking of picking one of these up and was wondering if the topre switches were quiet enough to use in a library or some other quiet area. I'm only familiar with Cherry browns (leopold tenkeyless). Thanks.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:49:33 »
I would say that it's quiet enough. Similar to a rubber dome keyboard, a lot of the noise depends on how much force you use when you type.

Offline jabar

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 20:42:02 »
Still have yet to revert to a Cherry keyboard since I bought this some 3+ months ago...
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 21:29:04 »
Still have yet to revert to a Cherry keyboard since I bought this some 3+ months ago...

Ditto. (Though, I did use the 660M for a bit, but 660C feels better.) 

My spacebar has a shine already. I assume it's ABS and not PBT like the other keys?  (Like HHKB)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 04:37:44 »
I am sort of disappointed because the keycaps for letters are already fading. I can barely see the C, N, M, K, D, S and L keys. Oh well, at least I can touch type so I don't have to look at the keys.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 04:58:16 »
I'm thinking of picking one of these up and was wondering if the topre switches were quiet enough to use in a library or some other quiet area. I'm only familiar with Cherry browns (leopold tenkeyless). Thanks.

I would say it CAN be quiet enough. I find it possible to type on this at fast speeds while still keeping the volume down by how I softly I type on it. Also, not using the rubber feet help keep the volume down.

I can see this happening :)) Main reason for going to Cherry these days is whenever I game because I can only game on my Vintage Black.

My spacebar has a shine already. I assume it's ABS and not PBT like the other keys?  (Like HHKB)

Yes, the spacebars on these things are ABS :( The rest are PBT.

I am sort of disappointed because the keycaps for letters are already fading. I can barely see the C, N, M, K, D, S and L keys. Oh well, at least I can touch type so I don't have to look at the keys.

I'm also scared of the day this starts happening because, even though I touch type, it'll just start looking ugly :(

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:31:15 »

Same here but I wanted a blank KB anyway...   8)   So anyone knows a way to speed up the process? :x
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline Muldoonite

« Reply #212 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 01:38:22 »

I would say it CAN be quiet enough. I find it possible to type on this at fast speeds while still keeping the volume down by how I softly I type on it. Also, not using the rubber feet help keep the volume down.

I would say that it's quiet enough. Similar to a rubber dome keyboard, a lot of the noise depends on how much force you use when you type.

Cool, good to know. Guess I'll be getting one of these then. Can't wait to try out a Topre board!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 10:41:14 »
Finally got my Leopold FC660C, and I've had it for several weeks now. I like the Topre switches MUCH more than any Cherry mx switch I have tried (brown, blue, black, white, green), and almost as much as IBM buckling springs. Not only do I like the typing feel and sound, but my speed and accuracy are better on this board than any of my Cherry mx boards, including the FC660M.

The Leopold FC660C could be my favorite board if they ever issue some decent dye-sub PBT keycaps for it. In the meantime, I will probably revert to my trusty IBM SSK.

Offline Tempiz

• Buckling Springs <3
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 16:18:17 »
Awesome review! I've been looking to get one of these when I get some extra money!
I cant be separated from my Model M

Offline s0ckpupp3t

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 22:11:28 »
I just got the FC660C and I have a question:  Is the INS key supposed to light up when you press it?  Mine doesn't but it looks like it should since it has a little window for it.

My CapsLock lights up.

Thanks.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 22:13:16 »
I just got the FC660C and I have a question:  Is the INS key supposed to light up when you press it?  Mine doesn't but it looks like it should since it has a little window for it.

My CapsLock lights up.

Thanks.

It lights up when you press fn + Q. It makes it so when you press Esc, it types `.

Offline s0ckpupp3t

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 22:39:48 »

My CapsLock lights up.

Thanks.

It lights up when you press fn + Q. It makes it so when you press Esc, it types `.

Ah, it does.  But if that's the case, why on Earth is the LED on the INS and not the ESC key?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 23:29:04 »

My CapsLock lights up.

Thanks.

Ah, it does.  But if that's the case, why on Earth is the LED on the INS and not the ESC key?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 00:20:16 »
Yeah, that's what I thought originally!  :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 05:43:06 »
I like the layout on my FC660M, so I'm leaning towards getting an FC660C when they become available locally.....

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 16:56:26 »
I like the layout on my FC660M, so I'm leaning towards getting an FC660C when they become available locally.....

Where do you live? They're in stock at elitekeyboards.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 19:24:03 »
Where do you live? They're in stock at elitekeyboards.
Somewhere in Asia, the local distributer of Ducky and HHKB did mention they would be bringing in some Leopold keyboards.....so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 20:43:41 »
Got my FC660c earlier this week, and as people have been saying the switches feel heavier than 45g. I've been driving a first run Das since 2006 (these were made with mx blues) and as a developer this sucker's seen a lot of action and it feels like the blues on my Das are lighter.

Don't know how I feel about the topres yet, this board may end up for trade here in a couple weeks, just want to give it a fair shake first. I'm definitely not an instant convert.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 20:56:45 »
Got my FC660c earlier this week, and as people have been saying the switches feel heavier than 45g. I've been driving a first run Das since 2006 (these were made with mx blues) and as a developer this sucker's seen a lot of action and it feels like the blues on my Das are lighter.

Don't know how I feel about the topres yet, this board may end up for trade here in a couple weeks, just want to give it a fair shake first. I'm definitely not an instant convert.

It is often said that you should give yourself a week or two to become accustomed to Topre before making a final decision.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:35:54 »

It is often said that you should give yourself a week or two to become accustomed to Topre before making a final decision.

I can somewhat agree with this, and I've been one of those people that have been saying the 45g on the 660C are much stiffer, and I still stick by this. Even after over 100 hours on my 660C, and even though it definitely has gotten a lil' lighter and smoother, it is still feels stiffer than 45g in a Cherry board AND it's still stiffer/pop-ier/springier than my 45g Realforce 23UB. When I first used my 45g 23UB when I got it, I almost thought that was what 35g must feel like and felt and compared every switch on it. Just like how Cherry MX blues can feel and sound different depending on the brand, maybe the 45g Topre switches can feel and sound different depending on the maker also... who knows, maybe the 23UB is lighter because of more use than my 660C. I guess I'll only know after another 100 or so hours on my 660C, and we'll see if it gets even lighter with more use. Either way, I can confidently say that the pop-ier/springier feeling on the 660C is greatly satisfying, and would choose it over the feel of the Realforce 23UB. However, don't get any wrong ideas... the 23UB still feels like a dream, it's just the key press is lighter than the 660C.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:16:53 »

Certainly, when you've been running the same board for 7 years like I have, any change is going to be dramatic. And since this is an entirely different type of switch the change will be even more pronounced.

I actually picked up a QFR with browns at the same time that I'm using at home to see how I like the feel between the two, and as can be expected I have been much more comfortable with the browns so far than with the Topres. But I'm certainly not giving up yet!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:43:01 »

Certainly, when you've been running the same board for 7 years like I have, any change is going to be dramatic. And since this is an entirely different type of switch the change will be even more pronounced.

I actually picked up a QFR with browns at the same time that I'm using at home to see how I like the feel between the two, and as can be expected I have been much more comfortable with the browns so far than with the Topres. But I'm certainly not giving up yet!

7 years is a long time to be using one keyboard.  How many computers did you go through in that time?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 23:06:58 »
7 years is a long time to be using one keyboard.  How many computers did you go through in that time?

It outlasted 3 laptops and a desktop at work, and the thing is still kicking and could rip through another 4. I would hope the better build quality on the FC660C would be able to match the Das as their first mechanical model has a cheap plastic case, thin ABS caps, and I'm pretty sure it's PCB mounted.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have been using HHKBs or RealForces for as long and as consistently as I used my Das and how their keyboards have held up.

Offline baotung

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 01:50:37 »
All these threads and posts on the 660C gets me tempted to buy one! My friend has one and I must say... I can see why so many just fall for the Topre trap... Question is, if I do go for Topre, do I get this or a RF... or a HHKB... :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 01:54:39 »
All these threads and posts on the 660C gets me tempted to buy one! My friend has one and I must say... I can see why so many just fall for the Topre trap... Question is, if I do go for Topre, do I get this or a RF... or a HHKB... :))

RF if you are addicted to a conventional layout.

HHKB if you don't mind not having dedicated arrow keys.

FC660C if you are undecided.

Offline baotung

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 01:59:16 »

RF if you are addicted to a conventional layout.

HHKB if you don't mind not having dedicated arrow keys.

FC660C if you are undecided.

This is actually a pretty decent way to look at it lol. Thanks!

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 03:17:21 »
Exactly! I have two Topre and two HHKB 2's, and when I come here.....I somehow feel my collection isn't complete w/o an FC660C. GH can be very taxing on one's wallet at times, no? :p

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 00:02:51 »
For the past couple weeks, I've been alternating between the FC660C and FC660M a couple times a day.  It's funny, because right when I switch to the other, it feels so nice and good.  Back and forth.  It's like marrying two hot Korean twins, if polygamy wasn't frowned upon. I highly recommend. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 01:39:46 »
For the past couple weeks, I've been alternating between the FC660C and FC660M a couple times a day.  It's funny, because right when I switch to the other, it feels so nice and good.  Back and forth.  It's like marrying two hot Korean twins, if polygamy wasn't frowned upon. I highly recommend. :)

You sound a bit like me - lots of different keyboards but too easily pleased by whichever one you are using at the moment.

I loved the Model M, then switched back to the HHKB and love it too.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 02:17:30 »

:)) "it's like marrying two hot Korean twins,"... that would be a headache :))

However, I can agree with you there. Once you've gathered enough nice boards and caps, it's too easy to fall in love with whatever switch type and keycaps that are touching your finger tips at the time... Makes it so hard to sell them when the money becomes tight :)) What's worse is that I'm usually wanting to sell things to get more of the same things :)) I'm sure many of you can empathize.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 02:19:33 »

Is that an option?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 02:29:00 »

Is that an option?

Lol! I would bet on it not being an option :)) But then again, I think polygamy in general is a formula for trouble :P huehuehue

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 03:54:02 »

Is that an option?

Lol! I would bet on it not being an option :)) But then again, I think polygamy in general is a formula for trouble :P huehuehue

With twins could be interesting ;)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 06:31:12 »

LOL! Most probably so :P

On another note, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this already but, anyone who owns a 660C, do you notice how the arrow cluster feels? I know the 660C is supposed to be uniform 45g but the arrow cluster just feels so much more ridiculously lighter compared to the rest of the keyboard... It can't be just me. Someone else agree here because I know for a fact that I've barely used the arrow cluster, so it can't be that it's broken in, and even with the 100+ hours on the alpha cluster, my arrow cluster still feels way lighter (I actually kind of like how light it is... maybe I'd enjoy a full 30/35g board, or at least the variable weight RF).

Offline therecorder

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 07:28:58 »

LOL! Most probably so :P

On another note, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this already but, anyone who owns a 660C, do you notice how the arrow cluster feels? I know the 660C is supposed to be uniform 45g but the arrow cluster just feels so much more ridiculously lighter compared to the rest of the keyboard... It can't be just me. Someone else agree here because I know for a fact that I've barely used the arrow cluster, so it can't be that it's broken in, and even with the 100+ hours on the alpha cluster, my arrow cluster still feels way lighter (I actually kind of like how light it is... maybe I'd enjoy a full 30/35g board, or at least the variable weight RF).

Might be interested in this thread, especially from Reply #134, forward:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27474.msg1047302#msg1047302

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 10:11:37 »

I can't say I immediately noticed that, but I'm still not used to its position so that discomfort probably clouds any judgement on weight. I brought my board home over the weekend so I'll try it out sometime today and see if I have the same observation.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 11:09:00 »

I can't say I immediately noticed that, but I'm still not used to its position so that discomfort probably clouds any judgement on weight. I brought my board home over the weekend so I'll try it out sometime today and see if I have the same observation.

You could also measure the actuation force using stacks of nickels.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #243 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:33:54 »
Might be interested in this thread, especially from Reply #134, forward:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27474.msg1047302#msg1047302

Oo, I'm definitely going to have to check this out. I know for a fact that I do not feel any inconsistency issues on this board at all, and the rest of my keys, other than the arrow cluster, are uniform 45g, or at least feel like it. The quality on this thing is awesome.

Please do :D I'll look forward to hearing back from you. You will definitely notice the difference in weight between the two, there's no doubt. I can feel it, it's not just my imagination :)) I just wanted to see if everyone else had the same issue (I wouldn't necessarily see it as a problem because it's just the arrow cluster, and I kind of like it).

I might actually try this in the near future. Thanks.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:04:22 »
has anyone tried adding the 10g spring to all of the keys to make this a 55g board? or are those springs not easily available?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:12:08 »
has anyone tried adding the 10g spring to all of the keys to make this a 55g board? or are those springs not easily available?

I moved my spacebar spring and put it on the Esc key but I've asked multiple people and it does not make it feel like the 55g Topre switch. However, it does make it nice and stiff, and doesn't feel too bad. I don't know if they're readily available though. If they are, someone post a link, I'd love to try it out because I actually like how it feels.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:21:17 »
I recently posted this question, and I have asked EK.com about it. The springs are not readily available. However, it should be possible to measure the spring and have them custom made. Alternatively, there are online spring calculators for designing springs with specific dimensions and spring constants, e.g., compression force. Apparently there are companies that could make custom springs according to the parameters given to them. However, putting such auxiliary springs on the stems would not be the same as swapping domes or installing 55-gram Topres in the place of 45-gram Topres.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:29:21 »
Please do :D I'll look forward to hearing back from you. You will definitely notice the difference in weight between the two, there's no doubt. I can feel it, it's not just my imagination :)) I just wanted to see if everyone else had the same issue (I wouldn't necessarily see it as a problem because it's just the arrow cluster, and I kind of like it).

Alright, pulled out the board, and you're definitely right, the arrow cluster is weighted differently. It's especially noticeable with my pinky, which i'm just now starting to use for that.

Because I was curious I went ahead and tried it:

Arrows: 9-11 nickels to bottom out so ~45g-55g
Others: 12-13 nickels to bottom out so ~60g-65g

Now that method seems highly error prone since you're talking +/- 12% with 5g weights and the key profiles make this a little tough enough that i had to adjust the board pitch to keep the force perpendicular to the key top. In the end tough it was consistently lighter on items in the same row so that makes me feel a little better.

For anyone curious my QFR with browns was consistently at 11 nickels or ~55g, and my Das with blues was consistently at 13 nickels or ~65g so at least how i was performing it passes the smell test.

Offline EZjiji

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 15:40:19 »
Is there a way to the get Caps Lock led to light up when you have the dip switch 1 on? It turns on fine with the switch off, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the led.

Offline s0ckpupp3t

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:08:37 »

Alright, pulled out the board, and you're definitely right, the arrow cluster is weighted differently. It's especially noticeable with my pinky, which i'm just now starting to use for that.

Because I was curious I went ahead and tried it:

Arrows: 9-11 nickels to bottom out so ~45g-55g
Others: 12-13 nickels to bottom out so ~60g-65g

Now that method seems highly error prone since you're talking +/- 12% with 5g weights and the key profiles make this a little tough enough that i had to adjust the board pitch to keep the force perpendicular to the key top. In the end tough it was consistently lighter on items in the same row so that makes me feel a little better.

For anyone curious my QFR with browns was consistently at 11 nickels or ~55g, and my Das with blues was consistently at 13 nickels or ~65g so at least how i was performing it passes the smell test.

The RealForce 87U EK edition just came and I have the FC660C in front of me as well.  (1) I agree that the FC660C arrow keys are lighter than the other keys on the FC660C.  (2) The arrow keys on the FC660C definitely feel a lot like the keys on the 87U-EK. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 September 2013, 17:20:51 by s0ckpupp3t »