Author Topic: brown vs. blue cherry  (Read 80807 times)

Offline eeperson

brown vs. blue cherry
« on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 17:12:10 »
I was thinking of buying one of the Filco 'tenkeyless' keyboards over at Elite Keyboards.  After contacting the web site and viewing some posts on this forum, I discovered that Elite Keyboards will selling a limited run of Filco 'tenkeyless' keyboards with blue Cherry switches in about a month. I am torn between the buying the current keyboards with the brown Cherry switches and waiting a month for a limited run of the blue Cherry switches.

I have used the blue switches before and really like the tactile feedback.  I like the idea of the brown switches (quieter, lighter springs) but I'm not sure they will have as much tactile feedback.  So, for the people that have used keyboards with both the brown and the blue switches, how does the tactile 'click' of the two compare?  Is it less noticeable in the browns?

Offline watduzhkstand4

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 17:37:55 »
I am definitely waiting for some blue cherries from elitekeyboards. I guess we're gonna be fighting for one >;)
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 17:41:17 »
The browns don't click at all. What noise they do make come from the key bottoming out.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline jayray999

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 17:51:38 »
I was in your position not so long ago. I settled it by trying both by two buying cheap keyboards (G80-3000 LSCRC-2 ($60) and MX11800($27)) that have Blues and Browns respectively. Since that does not seem to be an option, you have to judge by other people's subjective descriptions.

Blues: Definitely more tactile. Each keypress is staccato. I try to minimize bottoming out since the audible clicks satisfy my need for feedback.

Browns: Not as tactile but that may be because of the lack of auditory feedback. Unique lightness which is enjoyable in its own right. However, I find myself bottoming out more to generate auditory feedback.

One obvious advantage of the brown is that you dont annoy people around you.

Edit: If damage to your tendons depends on actuation force then bear in mind ripster's point about Browns needing 5cN less force.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2009, 18:01:06 by jayray999 »
"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed and they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."
Harry Lime (Orson Welles) :: The Third Man (1949)

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 18:00:02 »
Quote from: jayray999;93304

One obvious advantage of the brown is that you dont annoy people around you.

Not when I am typing on them : )

I had both the blue cherry and the brown cherry filco tenless.

FWIW, I sold the blue cherry version. The brown cherry filco tenless is my second one. I sold the first one I had : )
Pretty crazy; I know.

Its not that I don't like the blue cherries, I think I just like the brown cherries better.
Having said all that, I am typing on a filco tenless with black alps switches.
I think I need a beer.

Hopefully you will make the right choice the first time out : )

Offline jayray999

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 18:04:02 »
Quote from: bigpook;93305
Its not that I don't like the blue cherries, I think I just like the brown cherries better.

I wish I had your clarity of thought. Every time I try the one I think it is better. And then I try the other...

Make that two beers.
"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed and they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

Offline jayray999

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 18:07:03 »
Quote from: ripster;93306

Browns are "relaxing".
Blues are "fun".

That's exactly right.

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 18:14:09 »
or in other words: the blues are all sparkly and the browns are sublime.

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 18:16:04 »
Quote from: jayray999;93307
I wish I had your clarity of thought. Every time I try the one I think it is better. And then I try the other...

Make that two beers.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either one though. We all have our opinions though, but they are both fine switches.

In the end, you will end up buying both : )

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 18:17:47 »
Quote from: ripster;93306

That is Blues are "fun" until your significant other throws you "The Look".  We call it here, "The Pook Look".

Thanks, but really, all of us married guys know all too well what the "look" is. Don't be sticking my name all over that : )

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 19:31:57 »
Quote from: ripster;93314
Couldn't resist the rhyme.

Yeah, kinda ironic since it's your wife that has the Das.  Why didn't you try and have her use the Filco Blue Cherry? -  that must have been a tricky one to get your hands on so I was surprised when you let it go.

She likes having the numpad and she likes the das. I won't mess with it now that its on her desk.  Shes already wearing the letters off of some of the keys, and why would I risk the "look"? and a fair amount of "why can't you just leave it alone?".

I ordered the blue cherry filco from benippon if IIRC. Its not like I didn't like it, it was just sitting around not getting used so I sold it to a fellow geekhacker.

I can narrow down my favorites to the model m mini's, HHKB, filco with brown cherries and the filco with black alps.
Thats pretty good for me. I kind of wish I could just pick one and stick with it forever. But I really don't see that happening. : )

These keyboards are like a curse.

Offline o2dazone

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 20:38:08 »
Quote from: bigpook;93319
I kind of wish I could just pick one and stick with it forever. But I really don't see that happening. : )

These keyboards are like a curse.

I agree. Since I've gotten my HHKB, and learning the layout at home and at work, both of my other keyboards (brown and blue cherries) have been on the back burner. I'm probably going to loan out my Filco, it looks so sad just sitting there :(

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 20:46:53 »
Quote from: o2dazone;93322
I agree. Since I've gotten my HHKB, and learning the layout at home and at work, both of my other keyboards (brown and blue cherries) have been on the back burner. I'm probably going to loan out my Filco, it looks so sad just sitting there :(

So you think you can settle on the HHKB as your daily driver?

I thought I could at one point, then it was back to the model m's, then the filco's. In a month or so I will be back on the HHKB : )

Offline o2dazone

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 21:24:51 »
Well, I say "Yes" to that answer because I just got it. Honestly I miss the browns, but I'm trying to find where they would fit in my day. Maybe at work once I stop carting the HHKB to the job and back, but then my blue cherries are gone, and I really like those...
Damnit for having only 2 computers

Offline o2dazone

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 00:14:30 »
To seal the deal, I let my brother borrow my Filco Majestouch. He loved the g80-3000 when I got it, and got one for himself. So now he might be convinced to get a Filco. I wonder if Elitekeyboards has a referral program! LOL

It's out of the house, so I can't roll back to it. It'll give me and the HHKB some alone time to get intimate with one another.....................

Offline watduzhkstand4

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 01:31:31 »
the blue cherries are more tactile and louder than the brown cherries, that I know. What about the feel between blue cherries and black alps?
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 06:43:29 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;93348
the blue cherries are more tactile and louder than the brown cherries, that I know. What about the feel between blue cherries and black alps?

I had to turn around and type on my wifes das. It immediately felt lighter but with a high pitched click. The black alps have a a more solid feel, not as light.
Its early, and hard to describe this.

Offline patrickgeekhack

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 09:05:17 »
Quote from: bigpook;93363
I had to turn around and type on my wifes das. It immediately felt lighter but with a high pitched click. The black alps have a a more solid feel, not as light.
Its early, and hard to describe this.

Blue Cherries definitely feel lighter than the Black Alps. Black Alps don't have a click with them, but the bottoming out of the keys can be heard.

Offline patrickgeekhack

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 09:08:11 »
Quote from: ripster;93371

Just curious - I wonder if Geekhackers would be more naturally "forgiving"of others typing loud since we're used to the sound.

I wonder about that too. I don't know since my wife does not care about a clicky keyboard, and is very happy with her laptop keyboard. I don't think I will be able to concentrate on my reading if someone is using a clicky keyboard close to me. Sound selfish, right? This is why I have my wireless Microsoft keyboard always handy for the times when she does not want to hear click clack constantly or when our baby is having a hard time falling asleep.

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 09:09:38 »
Quote from: ripster;93371
So she must be sitting near you.  The sound of the Blue Cherries don't bug you?

Just curious - I wonder if Geekhackers would be more naturally "forgiving"of others typing loud since we're used to the sound.

Not really, its a high pitched sound but I have a bunch of computers running so there is fan noise going on to. Its not like the room is actually quiet.

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 09:10:15 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;93375
Blue Cherries definitely feel lighter than the Black Alps. Black Alps don't have a click with them, but the bottoming out of the keys can be heard.

Yeah, that would be about right.

Offline patrickgeekhack

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 09:13:28 »
Quote from: bigpook;93380
Yeah, that would be about right.

If I had a choice, I would prefer to have someone using blue Cherries than black Alps or Buckling Spring beside me.

Offline watduzhkstand4

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 10:23:56 »
I do find the black alps a bit too heavy for my typing. Now that the blue cherries are lighter, I hope it will improve my typing.
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 10:26:39 »
coming off of a BS keyboard the black alps are positively lively : )
but compared to a brown cherry, the black alps are all chunky.

Offline patrickgeekhack

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 11:11:14 »
Quote from: ripster;93383
LOL - I was just thinking the same thing.  It's the anticipation with a Buckling Spring - there's a lot of random "pings" I can hear a good distance away.

For yuks I just plugged in my son's Sennheiser PXC 450 noise cancelling headphones and they don't do much to dampen the high pitched sounds.  I think they are more for the jet engine's low rumbling pitch range.

Somehow, I find that most people, especially in an office environment, more tolerant towards black Alps than towards Blue Cherries. This could be cause some rubber dome keyboards produce quite "loud" noise when the keys are bottomed out and when they go back to their initial location.

Offline jayray999

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 11:47:02 »
Quote from: ripster;93383
For yuks I just plugged in my son's Sennheiser PXC 450 noise cancelling headphones and they don't do much to dampen the high pitched sounds.  I think they are more for the jet engine's low rumbling pitch range.

My experience with noise cancellation phones suggests that passive noise cancellation (Etymotic, Shure etc.) works well while active noise cancellation (Bose, Sennheiser etc.) is wishful thinking at best, snake oil at worst and either way needs batteries.

Off-topic: You can't go wrong with that blue cherry of earphones, the great Etymotic ER-4S (or ER-4P) in terms of noise cancellation and sound quality. And they are so tiny they can fit in your shirt pocket. Why do I have a feeling you know all this?

Offline jayray999

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 12:07:47 »
Quote from: ripster;93399
Fo Shure....

Hey you have an Iriver H120; the greatest portable digital music player ever built. They don't build 'em like that. Rockbox is great but I am always scared when I upgrade that I will brick my player. I have the H140.

Offline jayray999

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 12:50:43 »
Quote from: ripster;93412
Compared to the Sansa Clip it IS a brick.

It is the only portable player I encountered with an optical in/out. Add a DAC and an amp and you are ready to rock. Ok not exactly a portable setup.

Offline jayray999

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 13:31:54 »
You are not alone...

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 14:21:02 »
iRiver's current model- E100- is a fairly crummy player.

I had a Sandisk E250 for a few years, with Rockbox towards the end, and rather liked it, but the wheel seized up, so I bought an E100 (8Gb for less than I paid for the 2Gb Sandisk), and it just feels like working through molasses-- unresponsive and slow.  UI design counts hugely on these tiny devices.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 07:59:24 »
Ripster: have you tried Cherry browns on a MX-11800 or G80-3000?  In one of your earlier posts, you mention the tactility of the browns being difficult to feel on your Filco.  I find this not to be case on the Cherry-made 'boards.  I am not sure if this is due to the keycaps or plate/PCB mounting differences, but they feel very different.

Offline Eclairz

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 08:17:36 »
I use a pair of Closed Sennheiser HD25 headphones, extremely durable and look abit geeky and large but block out most the sounds without sticking those worms into my ears while still allowing me to hear people talking to me as i can't drop the volume a fairly large number of decibels.

Currently connected to my sansa clip but i use them for many things except for home, where i use some huge monitor speakers.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline kyamei

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 08:39:06 »
Quote from: itlnstln;93680
Ripster: have you tried Cherry browns on a MX-11800 or G80-3000?  In one of your earlier posts, you mention the tactility of the browns being difficult to feel on your Filco.  I find this not to be case on the Cherry-made 'boards.  I am not sure if this is due to the keycaps or plate/PCB mounting differences, but they feel very different.

Having tested browns on a 11800 first, I noticed the difference in feel as soon as I got my Filco.  I don't think it has anything to do with the keycaps and mounting cause even if I press the switch directly, there is definitely a difference.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline kyamei

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 16:54:20 »
I have a hard time believing that mounting can make such a huge difference in the way the switch feels.  The 11800 is not quite as smooth, but it is far more tactile than the Filco.

Offline kyamei

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 02:31:33 »
The 11800 and the Filco were both purchased new.  

I remember seeing this comparison before, but I couldn't find it so I did it myself.  Here is a picture of the browns in a Filco (top) and an 11800 (bottom).  Notice how they are different in color, a change in manufacturing process over the years perhaps?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 02:43:20 »
A Cherry rep once told me they use different switches for their in-house keyboards than the ones they sell for manufacturing. The last time I posted this fact, it caused an uproar by some whiner so bad threads were deleted and he (she (it)) has yet to come back here, so this is all I will say about it. Call Cherry. They speak English too.

And if anyone wishes to bash me about this, grow a spine and PM me, as I don't read the keyboard section very often at all.

Offline kyamei

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 02:47:40 »
When I was trying to find that brown switch comparison, I came across that post of yours.  Only skimmed through the first page but that would explain it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2009, 02:51:51 by kyamei »

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 06:58:42 »
While what Xs says I am sure is true (I mean, he did get it straight from Cherry), I do not see the color difference in the switches between my Filco and G80-3000 as shown in Kyamei's post.

Offline kyamei

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 09:56:59 »
I don't know how to play with the settings on cameras so that's the best pic I could get.  The difference in the browns are exaggerated in the pic, but they are noticeably different in person as well.  Probably means nothing anyways.  Xsphat's explanation makes much more sense.

EDIT:  Found the page where I saw the difference in color mentioned, it was on Sandy's site.  Scroll down the page a bit and he compares the switches from a 11800 with a Filco.  http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/mx11800.html
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2009, 10:05:27 by kyamei »

Offline patrickgeekhack

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 10:29:51 »
Quote from: xsphat;93845
A Cherry rep once told me they use different switches for their in-house keyboards than the ones they sell for manufacturing. The last time I posted this fact, it caused an uproar by some whiner so bad threads were deleted and he (she (it)) has yet to come back here, so this is all I will say about it. Call Cherry. They speak English too.

And if anyone wishes to bash me about this, grow a spine and PM me, as I don't read the keyboard section very often at all.

This is probably true. It would be similar to Formula One where Renault and Ferrari have bought sold engines to other teams, but not the same ones used by their own teams.

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 10:30:34 »
The color difference might just be the color mixture Cherry used changing over time.  The 11800 in Sandy's pics is from 2000 and the Filcos didn't come out for several years after that.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 19:32:46 »
It could even be a matter of "we consume all of production like A ourselves, so line B goes out to other firms."
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline ironcoder

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 08:33:41 »
Quote from: xsphat;93845

LOL yeah I hear you buddy. Telling the truth on most internet forums or calling bull**** on a lame post is a sure recipe for a scream and whine and personal attackathon.

This forum seems pretty civil and the guys are pretty darn knowledgable on keyboards (except for me, of course).
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 10:14:09 »
Quote from: ripster;94162
Yeah, I think IntlStln once said he appreciated we don't do the "RTFM" or "just do a search" to the noobies. I try and be ultrapolite until they hit a post count of 10.

And then what?  Be a total a*s?

:)

Offline dqsl

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 15:23:07 »
haven't you heard about the Super.fi mod??

Offline ironcoder

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 04:59:30 »
Any news, Ripster?
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline itlnstln

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 10:13:58 »
Quote from: ripster;95181
I really have no more info than you guys do!!

Daily AM Routine:
1) Coffee
2) Login to email accounts (2). No Elite notices, bah!
3) Fire up film scanner and Lightroom to archive and edit old negatives whirrr....click, click for 5 mins.
4) Post Geekhack
5) Stick another negative in, whirrr.... click, click
5) COMPLAIN ABOUT NO BLUE CHERRY FILCOS!!!!

You know, 6 comes after 5. Then, it's 7, 8, 9, and 10.

This kinda sounds like my day.

1) Get ready for work
B) Go to Work
III) Coffee
Quatro) Check overnight jobs, fix anything that broke
Next) Post on GeekHack the rest of the day
Last) Go Home

Sometimes there's a little more work in there, but since most of my work is automated, I get to spend more time with you guys.

Offline o2dazone

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 11:24:49 »
This "What's your daily schedule" posts could be a cool offtopic thread, someone start it :p

Offline bigpook

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 18:38:41 »
nice, I see you have a green thumb.

Offline loofa

brown vs. blue cherry
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 12 June 2009, 08:24:14 »
Got a surprise from elitekeyboards this morning; check your email.  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2009, 08:48:17 by loofa »