Author Topic: Why is Geekhack so restrictive? Feels like Nazi Germany up in here?  (Read 13477 times)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
Re: Why is Geekhack so restrictive? Feels like Nazi Germany up in here?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 08:56:51 »
tongue in cheek, firebrand.

however, if this forum is nazi germany, someone has to be hitler. i'd rather be hitler than be goebbels

Phew its very hard to get this sort of stuff on the internet :x I would have to say if you get name Hitler that's quite unfortunate, I'm going to call you Darth Vader instead, much cooler :p
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:13:52 »
Not trying to ruin the fun here, but as it turned out recently being a nazi was not exactly a good thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU&feature=kp

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:18:50 »
tongue in cheek, firebrand.

however, if this forum is nazi germany, someone has to be hitler. i'd rather be hitler than be goebbels

Phew its very hard to get this sort of stuff on the internet :x I would have to say if you get name Hitler that's quite unfortunate, I'm going to call you Darth Vader instead, much cooler :p

If there were a Darth Vader we would need a Han Solo, Leia and a R2-D2.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:49:00 »
Khan Noonien Singh
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 02:47:24 »
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 03:56:18 »
69159-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:13:13 »
(Attachment Link)

He would be a Topre fan, wouldn't he.

Sure...
It's PURIFIED rubberdome, and it's keyboard MASTERRACE :-X

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 20:30:12 »
One step up from peasant does not a master make.

Offline dantan

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 02:33:35 »
Why is Geekhack so restrictive? Feels like Nazi Germany up in here?
Fulfilling Godwin's Law in the first post. Congratulations!

I'm guessing this thread is going to be locked soon.

I always thought it means the conversation will eventually be about Hitler and Nazis. But since conversation has already started like that it's ended where it started.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:01:50 »
As much as I love GH, I gotta agree. This place has some of the strictest mods of any board I have ever been on. Right up there with the Club Penguin mods :))

Never understood the reasoning. Calling a niche mechanical keyboard site a 'family forum' is utter bull****.

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:04:29 »
That's because you're only part of the 'family' if your nose is covered in poo.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:10:47 »
The longer you are a member here, the more respect you gain. That's not weird at all.

It's just that the mods moderate too hard and too soon, instead of letting something unfold naturally. There's a time and place to enforce, and a lot of the times it seems like red state tactics are used to quell something that might upset the status quo. IE: [some of]the mods act like nervous cats sitting on a nuclear launch button at the slightest scent of drama

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:11:45 »
Someone should really make a Topre equivalent to this video...something like "Hitler finds out Topre stops making RealForce keycap sets"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 22:14:34 »
10,000 internetz to anyone who does a good one
http://downfall.jfedor.org/create/

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 03:18:21 »
(Attachment Link)

Sure...

You dummkopf's, it's the HHKB that is the SUPERIOR KEYBOARD of all time .............or so the owners keep thinking about  ::) .

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 04:07:38 »
well i'm definitely not going to be rommel

If you get to be the Hitler of GH, I want to be the Winston Churchill of GH. 

"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." ~ WC, 4 June 1940.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:54:36 »
(Attachment Link)

Sure...

You dummkopf's, it's the HHKB that is the SUPERIOR KEYBOARD of all time .............or so the owners keep thinking about  ::) .

Nah, the HHKB is THE FINAL SOLUTION... or perhaps THE ENDZIEG
What I read here a lot people stopped buying and trying boards after getting a HHKB :3
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:59:32 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 11:21:49 »
Hey, y'all!  Happy Independence Day!

I am not a mod, but...

This isn't a "family site" so much as there are a lot of <18 users here.  Not Club Penguin volumes, but quite a few.

We don't want to bite newcomers or frighten them off.  OTOH, we definitely are interested in according senior members with greater latitude.

There have been some truly terrible flame wars here.  Too many "master races" in one place, I suppose.  And putting out a camp fire is always easier than putting out a forest fire.

Finally, because it happens behind the scenes, people generally don't know that a LOT of back-and-forth discussion happens before any moderation or admin action is taken.  Behind the scenes, this is a Libertarian forum with the least-restrictive limits we could think of that prevent flame wars, personal attacks, and fraud.

Contrary to his earlier post, mkawa isn't Hitler.  But sometimes he plays him on this forum.

Again, let's all go light fireworks tonight (in your region).  Here in California it is fully sanctioned.  I'd be interested in the results if some of our Ukranian members did the same.  (Please don't!)

The above was just my $.02, but it was an informed $.02.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 13:47:08 »

I am not a mod, but...

This isn't a "family site" so much as there are a lot of <18 users here.  Not Club Penguin volumes, but quite a few.

We don't want to bite newcomers or frighten them off.  OTOH, we definitely are interested in according senior members with greater latitude.

There have been some truly terrible flame wars here.  Too many "master races" in one place, I suppose.  And putting out a camp fire is always easier than putting out a forest fire.

Finally, because it happens behind the scenes, people generally don't know that a LOT of back-and-forth discussion happens before any moderation or admin action is taken.  Behind the scenes, this is a Libertarian forum with the least-restrictive limits we could think of that prevent flame wars, personal attacks, and fraud.

Contrary to his earlier post, mkawa isn't Hitler.  But sometimes he plays him on this forum.

Again, let's all go light fireworks tonight (in your region).  Here in California it is fully sanctioned.  I'd be interested in the results if some of our Ukranian members did the same.  (Please don't!)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yeah, I know mkawa was only joking, but nobody should be compared to Hitler, even as a joke.  And the master race jokes are in really bad taste as well.  I just assume people don't really know what they are saying when they joke about that stuff.  Hitler was not some guy who ran a keyboard forum with low tolerance for flamers and trolls.  Hitler was a mass-murdering sociopath.  Hitler was responsible for WW2 which killed 60 million people world wide. 

However, if you want to know how many Hitler killed with specific intent with his death camps and execution squads, the numbers are as follows:

5.1–6.0 million Jews, including 3.0–3.5 million Polish Jews
1.8 –1.9 million non-Jewish Poles (includes all those killed in executions or those that died in prisons, labor, and concentration camps, as well as civilians killed in the 1939 invasion and the 1944 Warsaw Uprising)
500,000–1.2 million Serbs killed by Croat Nazis
200,000–800,000 Roma & Sinti
200,000–300,000 people with disabilities
80,000–200,000 Freemasons

Wait, there's more:

1–1.5 million political dissidents  - All Germans
100,000 communists - All Germans
10,000–25,000 homosexual men - All Germans
2,000 Jehovah's Witnesses - All Germans

Still more:

3.5–6 million other Slavic civilians
2.5–4 million Soviet POWs

There are more, but I think you get the point.  Plus, I'm getting depressed writing this, so I have to stop now.  If you compare any forum moderator to Hitler, you are a monumentally ignorant @$$h0le is all I can say.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:10:23 »
Absolutely ethos. Godwin's law is extremely offensive to huge numbers of people

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:48:41 »
Critic accepted...
This thread is now about Soviet Russia, and Stalin using a IBM :3

69926-0

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 20:45:35 »
Critic accepted...

(Attachment Link)
Fits him perfectly.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 21:39:43 »
Critic accepted...

(Attachment Link)

Now waiting for someone to explain why Stalin jokes/comments are literally worse than Hitler.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 00:23:31 »
there are a number of eastern european friends i have with whom i can't even talk about khrushchev. needless to say, stalin is verboten. really, referring to people that you just don't like for whatever reason as analogous to any number of genocidal or otherwise mass murderers and war criminals is incredibly childish and not really the kind of thing i think is appropriate for any forum of discussion.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 00:15:13 »

I am not a mod, but...

- Ron | samwisekoi

This is a great response Sam, but doesn't address the core cause of despondency. I just wish the mod team was open about what's going on at any given moment. As opposed to banning users and deleting threads, which seems to be the go-to option. That really ought to be the absolute option, not one of first and easiest routs out of a situation. You can't wield power like that and not expect backlash.
*And if you do, you should at least allow free speech.

*see America

GH mod team is more like:
70110-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 July 2014, 00:23:41 by noisyturtle »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 01:07:33 »
Too tired to shoop a Poker into Pol's hands, sorry...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 01:45:37 »
Well, not so sure about the Poker thing but this was fun to make:

*spelled 'proletariat' wrong, **** it
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 July 2014, 01:47:29 by noisyturtle »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 02:20:25 »
This is a great response Sam, but doesn't address the core cause of despondency. I just wish the mod team was open about what's going on at any given moment. As opposed to banning users and deleting threads, which seems to be the go-to option. That really ought to be the absolute option, not one of first and easiest routs out of a situation. You can't wield power like that and not expect backlash.

*see America

(Attachment Link)

Sorry but this is some bull****.  Do you really expect a public event log of every action we take?  If you have a question about something specific, feel free to ask.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 09:36:03 »

*see America

(Attachment Link)

Sorry but this is some bull****.  Do you really expect a public event log of every action we take?  If you have a question about something specific, feel free to ask.

We The People!

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 20:03:28 »

*see America

(Attachment Link)

How does one ask when they're banned?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 22:17:52 »

I was bored and came up with this  :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 23:02:54 »

*see America

(Attachment Link)

How does one ask when they're banned?

Are you planning on getting yourself banned?  We don't exactly randomly ban people out of the blue.  There is wayyy more warning than is necessary for you to ask your questions.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 23:50:17 »
Instead of uploading several images to a post why don't you just upload the images to Imgur and link them in the post?

That's what I do and it works great.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 06:28:05 »
Instead of uploading several images to a post why don't you just upload the images to Imgur and link them in the post?

That's what I do and it works great.

Look at all the broken external imagelinks in old posts caused by dead hosts or closed user accounts...
Uploading here directly ensures that all content will stay ...as long as we don't get another R00TW0RM disaster :/

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 13:23:37 »
there are people on this forum who have been directly affected, within one generation, by that geonicidal, homicidal maniac pol pot. i DO NOT appreciate offhand references to him and the khmer rouge, and am giving you guys your first and last warning right now to cut this out.

edit: disclosure. my father is based in cambodia and works throughout southeast asia with unesco, oxfam and a number of other NGOs to continue the century-long cleanup of the havoc wreaked by the extremely violent regimes and other geopolitical instability that has been prevalent in that region for the last 50 years. just as the european dictators did some of the cruelest things known in the history of mankind, so did the forces that came in and filled power vacuums in southeast asia. this is not a laughing matter to the kids that are still living in the fear that they will accidentally hit a 50 year old landmine. this is not a laughing matter to those who visit the museum of khmer genocide and its open-air mass skeletal graves with detail documentation on how each of these skeletons was once a human. this is not a laughing matter to the subsistence farmer who had their only sources of education and advancement destroyed by mass murdering idealogues. please don't hide behind the internet to say incredibly hurtful things to real people because you want to exercise the potential emotional impact of your "free speech".
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 13:29:12 by mkawa »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 15:41:35 »

I was bored and came up with this  :))

Haha that was great, man. I feel the same way, Topre is insane for at least not selling their machined parts so someone else can make 'em. Feels weird to agree with Hitler.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 16:06:53 »
What movie is that?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 16:57:20 »
"F*** AutoHotkey and it's alternatives!" ;D

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker