Author Topic: [IC] 8 Bit Megaman Qwerkeys key caps  (Read 21992 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
[IC] 8 Bit Megaman Qwerkeys key caps
« on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 17:19:42 »
I brought up the idea of an 8 bit Megaman key cap in the Qwerkeys retro gaming interest check and several people seemed interested, so I decided to do a proper interest check.  If I do this, I will probably also be running their retro group buy in the U.S., or will at least be in charge of distribution.

Here are the potential proposed designs on black and white caps.  They would be on R1 (function row, number row) and should be done on Qwerkeys J series blanks, but I can double check on what exact series they do their UV printing on.  Keep in mind these are rough mock ups, not actual caps and the actual printed cap may look different.

White

Black

Final caps will look different, but that should give you an idea.

Interest check form

Pricing per cap would be as follows according to Qwerkeys:

50+ =  £2 each
100+ = £1.50 each
200+ = £1.20 each
500+ = £1.00 each

Packs of keys count toward the minimum, so if you wanted to do three or four different key designs bundled as one, it would take 25 committed yes for a £6 four pack of keys and 34 for a guaranteed £6 three pack of caps. 

Keep in mind, this pricing does not include the shipping cost to the US and reshipping to the buyers.  Shipping cost to the U.S. would be split between all the buyers.  If it goes to group buy status, I will get an estimate from Qwerkeys.  I am thinking it would be the most fair to split the shipping cost on a per key basis.  So if 150 caps are sold and shipping is $20, you would pay an additional ~$0.13 per key cap.  If you order 10, that'd be $1.30.

Shipping to you, if shipped via bubble mailer, shouldn't cost more than $3-5 if you're in the US, depending on how many you get.  If you want more substantial packaging, shipping will obviously be more.

And bigger pics of the designs:

Design 1:
More

Design 2:
More

Design 3:
More

Design 4:
More

If you have any comments, ideas, or feedback, be sure to leave it in the thread or drop it in the additional comments box on the interest check form.

Edit:

We could also do an 8 bit Rush key if anyone was interested:

Edit 2:  If the interest check looks good, Pexon will be in charge of UK and EU distribution.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:20:27 by nubbinator »

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: [IC] 8 Bit Megaman Qwerkeys key caps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 17:23:33 »
It'd definitely be cool to have these as F keys.
Edit: That rush key is definitely cool too. Interested.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2013, 21:29:39 by kenmai9 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 21:46:30 »
Shut up and take my money!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 21:51:24 »
**** yes I'm in. I want a Rush cap as well!!

Offline bianco

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:01:49 »
interested.
any chance the villains/bosses will be included?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:49:59 »
COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!

Big MVC1/2/3 Fan here :D
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:15:57 »
interested.
any chance the villains/bosses will be included?

Right now, I'm really only planning on Megaman and Rush, but depending on some feedback I'm waiting on from Qwerkeys, it may be possible.  I'd just have to find, make, or have someone make some 8 bit mock ups of them.  Don't get your hopes up on that though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:33:09 »
I *MIGHT* know someone who would do these mockups. But let me ask them before I volunteer them without their knowledge.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:48:01 »
I *MIGHT* know someone who would do these mockups. But let me ask them before I volunteer them without their knowledge.

I'd hold off until I hear more from Qwerkeys.  After that we can ask. 

And maybe if enough people hop on this, we could get a Commander Keen buy going too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 12:31:28 »
All right, sounds good. Just let me know :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 13:52:11 »
All right, sounds good. Just let me know :D

Alright, by the sounds of it, we can run several designs at a time and they all count toward the MOQ.  So bring on the bosses.  There's also no problem at all with doing black or white key caps and it sounds like we could actually do any of their standard colors without issue; however, to keep things simple, I think I'll keep it as black and white unless there's a large cry for other colors.

I might just try and make a Commander Keen set too and see if there is anyone interested in it besides me.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 10:28:41 »
Definitely interested!

Anyway, how about switching number 1 with 3? I guess that is better suited that way, just my humble opinion :)
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 11:08:10 »
Definitely interested!

Anyway, how about switching number 1 with 3? I guess that is better suited that way, just my humble opinion :)

Those are just for an idea of looks.  They should all be R1 caps (so function cluster or number row) and not a WASD cluster.  There weren't any other white caps I could use for a mock up on the Qwerkeys site outside of those.

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 16:56:23 »
Will definitely get on this. Just gonna through throw out an idea also. Could be cool to use design 4 as esc key and have the projectile he shoots travel along the number og F keys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 16:59:08 by iAmAhab »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 19:11:30 »
Will definitely get on this. Just gonna through throw out an idea also. Could be cool to use design 4 as esc key and have the projectile he shoots travel along the number og F keys.

When I'm out of the airport and at my hotel, I'll make a mock up of that for you.  Since they'll be R1 caps, I'd only need to make one and you could buy as many of the projectile caps as you wanted.  If you wanted a full function row, that would help the MOQ a ton.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 19:32:48 »
Okay, folks. I want to post my impressions on these caps. I was truly curious as to whether these could be the future of novelty caps, and before my recent decision, was even willing to run a GB for these caps.

So, it's been my opinion for awhile that a lot of the color rich designs we usually dyesub onto white caps actually belong on black caps, but that's not really possible while maintaining any semblance of quality (pad printing). Thus, when I first saw the new UV printing, I wondered if it might be the answer to our call. So I wanted to try them out personally and see if the quality was good. And I was actually impressed.

I've been sitting here, rubbing my fingers over the legend constantly, as well as scratching at it, and it still looks the same as when I received it. The printing has a sheen to it, and feels sticky upon first touching it, but you don't really notice that after touching it for a bit. Also, I prefer these caps to SPs, as they have a nicer thickness. Seriously, these caps are as thick as Cherry's caps. I also am of the impression that they are Cherry profile as well.

But the most impressive thing is the ability to get the color rich designs that we would like on a black cap while maintaining a nice quality cap. During the ZOMG dyesub buy, when I saw the PacMan set that was worked up, I felt it belonged on black caps. And now that I know the quality of these are worth it, and definitely at the nice prices per caps, I believe that a GB for them is in order.

This leads me to my final thoughts: would it be a possibility for this IC to become for an 8 bit gaming set in general, or would someone be interested in taking over my idea of a PacMan set GB? I have hi res images made up.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 20:00:17 »
Moose rubbing caps ;D

I'd buy some 8bit caps.

Offline Neal

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 20:06:06 »
Interested in both the black and white ones!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 01:40:46 »
This leads me to my final thoughts: would it be a possibility for this IC to become for an 8 bit gaming set in general, or would someone be interested in taking over my idea of a PacMan set GB? I have hi res images made up.

Yes, it could be.  Dan at Qwerkeys has asked me to run the retro pack (Pac Man, Tetris, Space Invaders) alongside the Megaman GB and also said if there are any other designs we wanted to run, to go ahead and get the interest up and run them since they'll count against the MOQ.

I plan on doing Megaman, Tetris, Space Invaders, Pac Man, and Commander Keen at the same time.  If I'm the only one interested in Commander Keen, I'll probably drop it.

Offline Sleabo

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:15:09 »
Hello guys,
I am going to get some samples made up for you that will hopefully help this group buy along, so if you can get all artwork involved sent to me that would be great. I have some Megaman and Commander Keen files already
thanks
Dan (Sleabo)
QWERKeys - Custom Keycaps for your Cherry MX Mechanical Keyboard

Offline bianco

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:47:55 »

Yes, it could be.  Dan at Qwerkeys has asked me to run the retro pack (Pac Man, Tetris, Space Invaders) alongside the Megaman GB and also said if there are any other designs we wanted to run, to go ahead and get the interest up and run them since they'll count against the MOQ.

I plan on doing Megaman, Tetris, Space Invaders, Pac Man, and Commander Keen at the same time.  If I'm the only one interested in Commander Keen, I'll probably drop it.

this is becoming more interesting!
has there been a mario design? at least for the power ups (mushroom, 1up, star)?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:51:25 »
Interested!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 05:02:59 »
We need some tetris goodness!

Anyone else remember the space shuttle?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 10:30:17 »
I love this idea, but would love to see it on a grey cap (nintendo cartridge color).  Also, possibly the addition of just the blaster shot in the upper center of the key so that we could stack them similar to the nyan cat set.  Oh, and an energy tank  ;D

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:36:09 »
Interested muchly
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 23:10:33 »
Sorry, had a bit of a busy last couple of days.  I'll try and get some more mock ups done by tomorrow for some of the other caps.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 06:48:10 »
I just want an E tank

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 16:45:42 »
I should be able to add grey as a color option.  I want to keep it as simple as possible though, so I won't be adding any other color options unless there's a key cap that a considerable number of people agree should be on a specific color only.  As far as greys go, I was thinking that the mid grey color in their cap colors chart would probably be best and the other colors would be black and white.  They really do need a better picture of the colors though, that one is terrible.  I love Qwerkeys caps, but the instagram and heavily shadowed shots make it really tough to tell what you're getting.

Alright, some of the mock ups that people wanted.  E tank and shots:

I'm not a huge fan of that particular projectile since it makes the key caps look like nipples or something.  If someone has some of his other projectiles or can mock them up, I can make them an option too.

Space Invaders in B&W and Color:

Commander Keen:

I'm waiting on some Pac Man files, but once I have those, I'll upload them as well.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 16:59:00 »
I like the B&W Space Invaders, Pac Man also intrigues me.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 17:03:22 »
I like just about anything 8-bit!

It brings back so many memories.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 20:13:45 »
I should be able to add grey as a color option.  I want to keep it as simple as possible though, so I won't be adding any other color options unless there's a key cap that a considerable number of people agree should be on a specific color only.  As far as greys go, I was thinking that the mid grey color in their cap colors chart would probably be best and the other colors would be black and white.  They really do need a better picture of the colors though, that one is terrible.  I love Qwerkeys caps, but the instagram and heavily shadowed shots make it really tough to tell what you're getting.

Alright, some of the mock ups that people wanted.  E tank and shots:

Show Image

This set across my ins, home, page up row would be awesome!
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 02:01:03 »
Has anybody used those UV printed keys intensively? I have the Reddit key from QWER keys and I don't even dare to touch it, because it kinda feels like I'd rub off the print really fast...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 03:22:34 »
Has anybody used those UV printed keys intensively? I have the Reddit key from QWER keys and I don't even dare to touch it, because it kinda feels like I'd rub off the print really fast...

Read this reply in the thread.

Offline Sleabo

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 05:08:45 »
We now add an extra layer to the print to ensure extra durability
QWERKeys - Custom Keycaps for your Cherry MX Mechanical Keyboard

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:30:03 »
Pac Man images should be coming to me today or tomorrow, so mock ups should be up by Monday tomorrow or Sunday and I plan on turning this into a full fledged GB some time next week since it seems like the interest is there and we'll hit the MOQs.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:39:22 »
Pac Man images should be coming to me today or tomorrow, so mock ups should be up by Monday tomorrow or Sunday and I plan on turning this into a full fledged GB some time next week since it seems like the interest is there and we'll hit the MOQs.

Yes! Team Twerk making moves! I'm so excited for these :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:48:42 »
Sounds good nubs!

8-bit FTW!!

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:49:24 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 19:03:42 »
Oh, and as a reminder, if there are other 8 bit packs you'd like to see as part of this, get me the images and I'll roll them into it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 20:30:12 »
Pac Man mock ups:

The grey ghost is white, I made it grey to show against the white cap.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 21:41:14 »
Awesome!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 02:34:57 »
Commander Keen made me nostalgia hard.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 16:35:05 »
Alright, this group buy will likely go live this following week.  I haven't heard anything from Pexon and he's gone quiet, so I don't know if he'll still be handling the UK/EU distribution still.  If he isn't, shipping will be, at max, $6.50 for a 2oz package and $9 for a 4oz package, hopefully lower since I'm planning on getting shipping through Paypal or mail.com.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 16:38:08 »
Didn't he say he was going on vacation until like mid-July?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 16:45:00 »
Didn't he say he was going on vacation until like mid-July?

If he did, he never said anything to Dan or me about it when we were putting this together as a GB. 

If that's the case, we should probably get another reputable UK member to handle UK/EU distribution.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 16:53:02 »
I recall him saying in a post in his forum that he was taking a vacation/holiday. Would you like me to dig it up? And yes, maybe you should get someone else to help out the GB.

Edit: I think I confused Pexon with Paranoid. Paranoid says in this post he'll be AFK until the end of July. Not sure what's going on with Pexon. Sorry for the confusion
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 13:00:39 by CPTBadAss »

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 22:34:28 »
I would be interested as well =)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 13:44:59 »
Still waiting to see if an arrow cluster is possible.

And if anyone would be willing to step up to take care of UK/EU distribution, that would be awesome.  Pexon has gone silent and disappeared on Dan and I.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 14:09:48 »
These are very cool!  I love the B&W Space Invaders and the pixelated Cherry :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline icedogg

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:08:43 »
I'd definitely be interested in these. The Pac-Man ones look pretty slick as well  :cool:
QFR Greens - Unicorn Vomit....'
KB v60 Blues - Miami
*Join the Clicky Bangwagon...*

(>^.^)> Wanna Trade!? <(^.^<)