Author Topic: Terminology Index  (Read 3625 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Terminology Index
« on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 09:29:18 »
Seeing as I have been here a couple weeks, and I still become confused daily by certain terms, acronyms or short-hand descriptions of items; I figured maybe it would be helpful to create a thread that had a listing of Geekhack common terms for future reference.

I also do not have enough specific knowledge to begin to provide a full list of these terms myself, so I am hopeful it can be updated over time based on others contributions.  I would imagine it would be beneficial to categorize them as well.

(Just putting a list of terms right now to get started, will come back later and add definitions.)

Size Reference
120% ; This refers to a keyboard that has a larger size and more keys than the 100% size, such as a Model F or Terminal Model M - which have additional function keys.
100% ; The full size most people think of when referring to a keyboard.  It includes the (is there a term for the normal alpha keys plus modifiers?), reverse T arrows, Home cluster, Number pad and Function key row; typically 101 or 104 keys total.
75%
60%

Size Reference - Alt
TKL (Ten Keyless); A keyboard that omits the number pad on the right side to reduce size.
TK (Ten Key); A keyboard that omits the arrow reverse T and Home cluster, but retains the number pad to reduce the overall size.  Usually the arrow and home cluster functions are retained in an overlay on the number pad.
SSK (Space Saver Keyboard); The designation for the version of the Model M that does not include the number pad.

Switch Types
Cherry MX
Cherry MY
BS
ALPS
Topre
Capacitive

Classifieds
WTT; Want to Trade
WTS; Want to Sell
WTB; Want to Buy
LF; Looking For
MOQ; Minimum Order Quantity
MMQ; ?

Key Breakdown
Stem
Cap
Stabilizer
Spring
Hammer
Mount (PCB, Plate)

Interfaces
XT
AT
USB
PS2
ADB
Serial

Key Layout
ANSI
ISO
WinKeyLess

Key Sizes
Modifier
1x
1.25x
1.5x
2.0x
 - 10x

Key Material
PBT
ABS
POM
Shining

Printing Types
Laser Etched
Laser Engraved
Dye-Sub
Top Print
Front Print
Double Shot

Feel
Linear
Tactile
Audible
Actuation Weight

Components
Plate
Case
Bezel
PCB
LED
Controller
Membrane

I know there is a lot I am forgetting, please feel free to contribute.

What is a switch sticker?

Also - if this would go better in the wikis, can attempt to re-locate there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 November 2012, 09:50:50 by 0100010 »
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Terminology Index
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 09:30:38 »
Your forgot Topre in the switch types category... and POM in the key material category.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 November 2012, 09:32:14 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 09:57:52 »
Key breakdown - spring
Interfaces - XT, AT
Lots of key sizes... up to 10x spacebars

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 10:02:30 »
Oh Where, Oh Where,

are the wikis when you need them?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 18:18:30 »
See Category:Keyboard terms at the Deskthority Wiki for a number of common terms. Much of what you've listed is already covered in the DT wiki.

The GH wiki is hopeless. (Seriously, why are all the links the same colour?)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 18:41:52 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 16:16:35 by esoomenona »

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 18:50:01 »
Are you suggesting you'd want to detail everything on one ginormous page? That was the mistake the old GH wiki made. Keep each page focused on a specific topic. Wiki categories exist for glossaries/indexes. The search box at the top right is also useful: it means that you don't have to list everything on the front page for people to be able to find it. Seriously, look at the DT wiki.

A while back, someone asked here about recategorising Alps switches, and I queried the issue of there being two parallel wikis (without realising how useless the GH wiki was after the server was wiped). It's senseless to have two wikis on the same subject, not least because there's such a clear lack of willing editors and photographers. I know it's not polite to cross-post, but at this stage, the DT wiki is the clear winner, and it needs so much work as it is, I can imagine that the GH wiki is going to end up a lot worse.
Bore Awards

Offline Batmann

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 19:21:36 »
would be cool to also add mx green (not in DT's wiki), I recently red about ghetto greens but didn't manage to understand what it was..

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 19:29:09 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 16:18:49 by esoomenona »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 19:45:51 »
You should put what they mean next to them. :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 20:54:00 »
You should put what they mean next to them. :)
Read the OP. :P
Add R00TW0RM? not sure what else. Unsaver, Kishsaver, Tenkeymore. (for BS mainly)

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 21:23:16 »
We really do need to work more on the wiki. If we have pages for individual keyboards, I'll write ones for KBT Pure at least~ To the wiki forum!
40% layout, anyone?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 09:09:15 »
I don't think there's enough people between GeekHack and Deskthority collectively able to maintain one wiki, let alone two. The idea has been mooted previously that maybe the wiki should be a separate project outside of both DT and GH, but considering that nobody is interested in writing for either one, it's a lost cause. I've been trying to convince people at DT to post photos (there's a lot of people taking excellent photos, but none of them are being put on the wiki), and to write articles on some of the common boards (Poker, HHKB etc)—ones I've neither owned nor used—but nobody's co-operating.

However, the GH wiki is almost empty (most links on the front page don't go anywhere, but you can't tell because all the links are red, not just redlinks), and the amount of effort it would take to catch up seems a waste of what little resources we have here. It's only logical that any writing effort people have spare be used to fill in the gaps at DT instead of recreating everything that already exists at DT.
Bore Awards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:19:06 »
You might want to add MOQ and MMQ to the Classifies sub-section - they seem to confuse some people.  I worked out MOQ fairly easily, but must admit I was confused about MMQ until recently.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ