Author Topic: Children giving out free lemonade is destroying America  (Read 58511 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

Children giving out free lemonade is destroying America
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 13:58:53 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;203609
Almost all the democrats in office are idiots.

I have some disagreements with the republicans, but they're the better of the bunch -- they're more on the side with classical liberalism -- which is TRUE liberalism. Modern liberalism is so stupid, I can't believe there are people who buy that garbage.

Quote from: Oqsy;203606
I keep forgetting the younger demographic of this forum.  

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking that. Yes I myself am a youngin', but I can tell when people say thing too ambitiously through their age.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline gr1m

« Reply #301 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 15:16:18 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;203632
Funny you should mention that, I was thinking that. Yes I myself am a youngin', but I can tell when people say thing too ambitiously through their age.

Don't kid yourself; you are not one of the more mature youngin's here.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #302 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 17:34:51 »
I wonder how old you all think I am...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #303 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 17:44:54 »
You might as well be a 14 year old one way or another.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 18:38:11 »
You guessed wrong!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 18:56:54 »
Like John McCain?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 19:02:44 »
McCain was supposedly a moderate who forced to sell out to be a 'good' republican.

The whole "gook" thing was hilarious though. And see this -

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #307 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 20:41:34 »
Myself, I'm a Cold Warrior on the one hand... and, at least for the most part, a liberal on the other. So, in American politics, I particularly liked JFK, and Scoop Jackson, and Joe Lieberman.

Also, I'm a Populist. That's a political stance you don't see much of these days.

A Populist might, like some Republicans, respect basic equal rights for all - but not be interested in pushing the country too hard on things a lot of people are likely to be uncomfortable with - say, in the area of gay rights for example.

On the other hand, like certain Democrats, he knows what America's economy needs. You want to buy a car? Fine, as long as it's made by union labor - not robots - in Detroit, from American steel made in Pittsburgh. However, believing in fairness and reciprocity, he would concede that foreign countries have the right to limit their citizens' use of scarce foreign exchange, even if that means directing it away from made-in-America Britney Spears records. Even if they switch to Linux, we will not attempt to punish their economies further than our protectionism would already be doing.

People want a government that cares about jobs like the Democrats, and that cares about a strong America that can defend itself like the Republicans. If neither of those two parties wants to offer them the choice of both of the above, Populists are happy to oblige.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 20:53:30 »
Quote from: kishy;203637
Oh FFS...

ITT: nutjobs describe wacko conservatives as liberals to try to compensate for the fact that the idea of being conservative doesn't work in modern society because we all aren't a bunch of moronic quacks.

But, y'know, no offense to any resident conservatives...just be a good person with decent values and your political orientation doesn't matter. That said, some people try to suggest that a political orientation associates you with specific wacko values.

I think a solution would be more leaders to choose from; Canada has more options in that regard, but the states only has two to choose from.
I just don't think hardcore liberal principles are good -- look at chretien and paul martin, they had to step down because of stealing money and other idiotic practices.
But then the conservatives wanted to fight in the war... that's a silly idea cause it costs too much money; but then again, the liberals were putting [that] money in their own pockets, so it's a lose/lose situation.
Hopefully the troops are pulled out soon and the Canadian government actually can get a surplus instead of slowly ever more decline in debt.

Quote from: microsoft windows;203672
I wonder how old you all think I am...

48 + 5.

Quote from: quadibloc;203742
Myself, I'm a Cold Warrior on the one hand... and, at least for the most part, a liberal on the other. So, in American politics, I particularly liked JFK, and Scoop Jackson, and Joe Lieberman.

Also, I'm a Populist. That's a political stance you don't see much of these days.

A Populist might, like some Republicans, respect basic equal rights for all - but not be interested in pushing the country too hard on things a lot of people are likely to be uncomfortable with - say, in the area of gay rights for example.

On the other hand, like certain Democrats, he knows what America's economy needs. You want to buy a car? Fine, as long as it's made by union labor - not robots - in Detroit, from American steel made in Pittsburgh. However, believing in fairness and reciprocity, he would concede that foreign countries have the right to limit their citizens' use of scarce foreign exchange, even if that means directing it away from made-in-America Britney Spears records. Even if they switch to Linux, we will not attempt to punish their economies further than our protectionism would already be doing.

People want a government that cares about jobs like the Democrats, and that cares about a strong America that can defend itself like the Republicans. If neither of those two parties wants to offer them the choice of both of the above, Populists are happy to oblige.

JFK was a roman catholic... I'm... not the biggest fan of roman catholics (especially since I was forced in the roman catholic system as a child; how boring it was!).

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 22:14:18 »
pagans, the whole bloody lot of 'em, and they don't even know it...  sad, really.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 05:16:32 »
That's a very easy thing to say, you just don't know when it's going to turn negative.

Ask Bernie Madoff for example.

I just don't think hardcore liberal principles are good -- look at chretien and paul martin, they had to step down because of stealing money and other idiotic practices.

You need to stop having opinions.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 05:18:39 by ch_123 »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 10:48:14 »
Quote from: kishy;203222
If there's one thing I can definitely say here it's that welly isn't half as nuts as the last day or two of messages would suggest. I think the problem is that the intensity with which he is wording things and pushing points kind of obscures what it is he's actually trying to communicate, which isn't half as extreme as it would appear.

Well, someone has to take Webwit's place.

Offline maclover

« Reply #312 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:34:59 »
Quote from: wellington1869;203381
glad you're so optimistic

if you're so optimistic you might be a:

;)

The sky isn't falling. There's always been crazy doomsday prophets.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #313 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:50:04 »
Quote from: Rajagra;203843
Well, someone has to take Webwit's place.

oh thats a low blow

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:50:42 »
Quote from: maclover;203867
The sky isn't falling. There's always been crazy doomsday prophets.

well in this case they're doomsday scientists, so i'm inclined to pay a bit more attention I guess ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 14:40:23 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #315 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:51:46 »
Quote from: Oqsy;203756
pagans, the whole bloody lot of 'em, and they don't even know it...  sad, really.

i'm pro-pagan, i think ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #316 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:53:07 »
Quote from: kishy;203809
Canadian Liberals got the country out of debt and kept it out of debt. I don't care if they stuffed their own pockets, they did a good job, kept social programs operating at an acceptable level, kept the country out of debt, and didn't piss off other countries.

Corruption is only a bad thing when it has a negative impact.

its definitley true in the US, where repub administrations have ballooned the deficit far more than dem ones; and in fact stock markets have done better under democratic administrations than repub ones.  I saw a study on that at cbsmarketwatch.com, i know i saved the link, will try to find it.

It goes against what we'd expect - because thats how successful the repub propaganda machine is.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:56:59 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;203600
What about Russian leftists?

they put western leftists to shame too with the courage and commitment they put behind their leftist values in the face of actual danger to themselves:
A Star Keeps Rocking in the Not-So-Free World -- nyt few days ago

For that matter, arab and muslim leftists put western leftists to shame too. They face threats to life and limb everyday from their own governments and from the religious extremists all around them. They soldier on. I wish we were half as brave.

And they soldier on without any help from western leftists, who have all but abandoned them as far as support (both vocal and actual) goes.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 14:13:14 »
Quote from: Oqsy;203606

I was a leftist liberal for a long time, so I feel your pain.  

when i was younger i thought i was a marxist. Turns out i'm SO not. What i liked about marx was his earlier humanist writings (before he became so doctrinaire and ideologically rigid in his later writings, which stalin and lenin and others picked up on as universal and eternal truths to be implemented no matter the cost).  
Turns out I was (am) a run of the mill humanist. So yea, I have to fend off the far left just as much as the far right. I see them as pretty much identical in their lunacies and commitments (esp their mutual commitments to achieving political monopoly (and to make it worse, usually the most direct route there is their extreme violence).

I even voted green party in 2000.  A very close friend (30 years old, and a die hard liberal for as long as I've known him) just sent Howard Dean

i gave howard dean $500, and i was an impoverished college student at the time.  :)  
He did deserve to lose in the end tho, not because of 'the scream', but because of something that happened a few hours before the scream - coming in 3rd in iowa.
but yea i think he made a lot of sense and for a while really shook things up, which i appreciated. Of course it takes more than being able to make sense to be the leader of the free world, unfortunately. And maybe thats best. Candidates must be able to survive the process in order to survive holding the office. Its not a job for the timid, only for the very stupid or the very courageous.

I'll see if I can get him to email it to me again so I can post some excerpts.  I think you'll find most of the gripes familiar.

sure i'd like to see it if you find it

Similarly, since starting to see the value of conservative/libertarian/constitutional viewpoint I still find that I'm distancing myself from a lot of "republicans" due to pandering to the fringe and/or groups that have no real place trying to make policy(pastors?).  The bottom line is that they're all out of touch,

you probably know littlegreenfootballs.com? the guy there (a lifelong repub from what i understand) recently renounced repubs because of the lunacies of the last few years. A few other prominent repubs have come out renouncing the party too. Not surprised, repubs have gone so far off the rails its not even funny anymore, its alarming.

and term limits on all elected positions in the federal government would help remedy the situation.  

the argument against that is that with term limits we apriori deny ourselves the possibility of getting politicians with the most experience and thus who can potentially do the most good. its a double edged sword i think.

for me, i dont see why we need term limits when we already have an electoral process. if that process is not working to keep crooks out, then we need to fix the process, not attach a further imperfect bandaid in the form of term limits.

I would LOVE to see more independents in office,

me too. I'm actually a registered independent, tho i vote dem 99% of the time, I'm not a "joiner" and will always reserve the right to criticize my own side, hence i did not register as a democrat.
I've only voted for two repubs in my life. Giuliani (before he went batso wacko after 9/11), and bloomberg (who, lets face it, is either a true indep or a rational dem, and is a repub only in name, as he freely admits). (He switched to repub registration to avoid the dem primary run off back when he was running for mayor). He's a pragmatist more than anything else, and I have immense respect for him because of that.

We need an independent president worse than we ever have.  

you might call me nuts, but obama is a genuine independent. People dont realize how much he's pissed off the left wing of the dem party (which is great that he did that). He's a pragmatist at heart too, and thats what i respect about him too.  

Teaparty's lunatic slogans about him not withstanding.

Not someone who wants to "work with democrats" or "work with republicans" from across the aisle.

problem is working with others will always be a requirment of the job. If you get someone who you wish "doesn't give a f_ck about the parties and demands some real work on a personal level" what you'll get is a dictator, and that brings with it a whole nother can of really ugly worms.

The world IS changing fast, and it's time we woke up from our slumber.

i certainly agree on that point.   I actually give full credit to the teapartyiers (as lunatic as they are) for being out there everyday. I blame the dems and the leftists if the teapartyiers win. Beacuse the leftists are still in their slumber, and the teapartiers are merely filling the leadership void. If they dont, some other loony will. There will always be loonies in society. If they grab the reins of government, the problem is with us, our slumber is to blame, not them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 14:23:51 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 14:31:17 »
Quote from: quadibloc;203742

I loved jfk, liked lieberman when he was still a dem, hate him lately now that he seems more like an opportunist than a populist I think. He's got a surprisingly bat****-conservative streak in him which seems to only have come out once he switched his registration.

who would you see as a potential national populist candidate going forward?

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 22:07:16 »
Wellington, you should create a blog or write a book regarding politics, cause, you've just written a tome with all of those posts.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 02:17:05 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;203998
Wellington, you should create a blog or write a book regarding politics, cause, you've just written a tome with all of those posts.

lol, just passing the time.  besides, i'm not the only tome-writer on gh. just trying to keep up with voix and ch and oqsy and...  you :)

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 02:39:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;204021
lol, just passing the time.  besides, i'm not the only tome-writer on gh. just trying to keep up with voix and ch and oqsy and...  you :)

You've got far more posts than me -- and they tend to be twice as long as mine. Thereby, I GIVE THEE... the wellington tome-writer award.

'Cause you write so much. You deserve an award like chimera. Hey! And you're both unmarried and in your late thirties if I'm not mistaken. There should be some kind of award for that too.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #323 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 04:34:51 »
EIBM, you deserve a special prize too

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 07:41:49 »
Quote from: ch_123;204030
EIBM, you deserve a special prize too

Show Image

You're just jealous because you never got one.

And it's rather low to be picking on down-syndrome individuals.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 08:11:45 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;204052
And it's rather low to be picking on down-syndrome individuals.

Totally, I should stop slagging you.

Whoops.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:07:08 »
Quote from: ch_123;204060
Totally, I should stop slagging you.

Whoops.

:) Tee hee.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:16:32 »
23 pages...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:18:19 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;204090
23 pages...

you must be new around here.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:19:24 »
Oh I ain't new. But I was surprised this thread has dragged on this long.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #330 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:20:40 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;204093
Oh I ain't new. But I was surprised this thread has dragged on this long.

i see it as a secular counterpart to the religion thread. which is at 33 pages. we've got some catching up to do.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Children giving out free lemonade is destroying America
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 18:30:09 »
LEMONADE IS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS. WE NEED TO BAN IT RIGHT NOW TO SAVE THE PLANET! DON'T WAIT! ACT NOW!