Author Topic: Best and worst switch manufacturers/brands?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Volny

Best and worst switch manufacturers/brands?
« on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 07:29:09 »
What are, in your opinion, some of the more consistently good switch brands, and some of the more consistently bad ones?

Switches are massively tied to personal preference, of course, and to other user-specific details (eg. typing style, hand shape, lubing style, keycap choice, etc.), but there are some objective factors to consider too: surely most would agree that excessive stem wobble, loud spring noise, or unreliable product consistency are all bad, for example.

For me, I've liked every SP Star switch I've tried, and I've disliked every Gateron switch I've tried (in both cases this could just be personal preference though). All other brands have been somewhere in the middle, with some hits and some misses. This makes it kinda hard to try and narrow down my buying choices (other than avoiding Gateron). So I'm keen to get a sense of what other people think.

Offline Kokukenji

Re: Best and worst switch manufacturers/brands?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 11:48:49 »
So far, I've really liked the Durock switches. I've tried the Dolphin, Shrimp and Teal. Like all 3 once I lube and film them.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 11:56:33 »
Cherry bad. (love the tops tho)

I've enjoyed some Gat, kailh, outemu(Gazzew), alps, smk, jwk

Offline Chalkboard

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 18:33:22 »
I’ve disliked every Mitsumi switch I’ve tried. Miniature mechanical, KPQ, KKR, all bad. Alps made some of the best feeling and best sounding switches, but their designs tended to not be robust or resilient which seriously hurts their longevity.

IBM made some pretty reliable switches with great key feel and has excellent manufacturing quality. Kaihl/Kaihua makes some great switches and isn’t afraid to try new things, which makes them great to me.

Offline Volny

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 02:31:33 »
Cherry bad. (love the tops tho)

I've been pretty unimpressed by most Cherries too. What is it about the tops that you like? Do they reduce stem wobble maybe? Or is it a sound thing?

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 03:59:33 »
In terms of overall quality, hands down OutemuxGazzew, their switches are top notch. 
My personal best is Kailh, the real MVP of the switch brands.

Worst? honestly never thought about it, but I would say Tecsee, IME at least.

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 05:52:59 »
super hard to pin it down to manufacturer. i don't know of any manu that has made exclusively bangers or exclusively misses. generally i've liked most of the jwk/durock switches i've tried, especially the tactiles since i'm a big shill for t1s. i guess kailh is one of the manus that i don't like as much, i'm only a fan of their clickies; their linears and tactiles are sort of underwhelming
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60