Author Topic: Do good scissor switch keyboards exist?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Nerif

Do good scissor switch keyboards exist?
« on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 13:31:01 »
Hello everyone. Does anyone of you knows where can you buy good scissor switch keyboards?

My requirements are:
1. Sculpted keycaps (not this flat crap),
2. ANSI layout (Optional),
3. No backlighting (Optional)
4. Not as expensive as BFKB113PBK or Logitech Craft keyboard

Thank you all in advance.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]

Offline Findecanor

Re: Do good scissor switch keyboards exist?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 14:16:27 »
1. I don't think it exists.  Once, at a workplace many years ago - before chiclets' dominance - I spotted a scissor switch keyboard with a curved backplane but I didn't get a chance to find out what it was.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 16:51:16 »
This is a hard and serious question. If good scissor-switch keyboards were plentiful, maybe some of us wouldn't be creating mechanical keyboards.

People have brought up PERIXX Periboard. I wasn't impressed with their low-end models, but their 'gaming' keyboard that was on Amazon is alleged to have some impressive, full-sized scissor switches that provided a good typing experience. Too bad it was in a gaming chassis, they were allegedly working on an office version as of a couple of years ago.

Isn't the Logitech perfectstroke supposed to be decent? Like in the K740?

Were I in your position, I might just buckle and get the Logitech Craft. The time spent searching for other keyboards could be spent on generating income :)

Offline Nerif

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 18:12:12 »
This is a hard and serious question. If good scissor-switch keyboards were plentiful, maybe some of us wouldn't be creating mechanical keyboards.

People have brought up PERIXX Periboard. I wasn't impressed with their low-end models, but their 'gaming' keyboard that was on Amazon is alleged to have some impressive, full-sized scissor switches that provided a good typing experience. Too bad it was in a gaming chassis, they were allegedly working on an office version as of a couple of years ago.

Were I in your position, I might just buckle and get the Logitech Craft. The time spent searching for other keyboards could be spent on generating income :)

Firstly, I don't want Logitech Craft at all due to their almost flat keys, I really hate when the keycaps are flat. Secondly, I'll need the check out the Perixx keyboards, but it's a shame that Perixx don't send keyboards for Russian market, so I need to pay more for the delivery. Logitech K740 is no longer in production, and I heard that the keycaps are tend to break on this keyboard, so... I don't think I really want to check out Logitech products, but I'm really interested in Perixx keyboard, hope that won't be too expensive.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 18:43:38 »
People have brought up PERIXX Periboard.
Isn't the Logitech perfectstroke supposed to be decent?
I think Periboard is just the brand for their keyboard line. Which model in particular did you think of?

Unfortunately PerfectStroke is nothing more than a useless brand name now, that does not mean anything in particular. While there are new keyboards that carry the name, none of them has the original switch for which the name used to stand for ...
Logitech DiNovo, DiNovo Edge, DiNovo desktop and the "Illuminated Keyboard" K740 were the only keyboards that I know of that used it.
The keyboard profile was still flat though, with the same keycap profile on every row.

Firstly, I don't want Logitech Craft at all due to their almost flat keys, I really hate when the keycaps are flat.
The keycaps on Craft and MX Keys are dished though, which makes them a tiny bit more comfortable than other chiclet. However, they are Bluetooth only (laaaaag) and hella expensive for what they are.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 October 2021, 18:46:36 by Findecanor »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 23:14:55 »

Firstly, I don't want Logitech Craft at all due to their almost flat keys, I really hate when the keycaps are flat. Secondly, I'll need the check out the Perixx keyboards, but it's a shame that Perixx don't send keyboards for Russian market, so I need to pay more for the delivery. Logitech K740 is no longer in production, and I heard that the keycaps are tend to break on this keyboard, so... I don't think I really want to check out Logitech products, but I'm really interested in Perixx keyboard, hope that won't be too expensive.

The Perixx I was thinking of is the Perixx 11483 PX-1900 Backlit Gaming Keyboard.

I remember it being available on Amazon before the pandemic. I'm not sure if it's still possible to get it, sadly. The keycaps appear flat or non-sculpted, unfortunately, but the keyfeel was said to be exceptional.

It definitely stood out. It was recommended to me directly by someone on this forum. I didn't go for it because of its large footprint and weird appearance. But it definitely used some kind of outlier monster scissor-switches that provided impressive feel and travel for a keyboard of that type, and it is highly-reviewed on Amazon.

Maybe Perixx made some kind of follow-up to it? I don't know, one would have to ask around. Scissor-switch availability and reliability seem to have been hit by the supply-chain situation - many new MX switches proliferated, but non-MX seemed to become more expensive or fewer models, AFAIK.

As far as Logitech Perfectstroke, I had thought that the name refers to a design, so it's found in several keyboards. Sad to hear if Perfectstroke inclusion is a meaningless marketing term. If K740 isn't in production, some follow-up is bound to be. People used to rave about the K800's key-feel, but unlike the K740 the keys are flat. Maybe Logitech will come out with something new. Reviews have been more negative since the pandemic, I am not sure if they are keeping up with QC.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 October 2021, 23:17:22 by HungerMechanic »

Offline Nerif

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 15:28:12 »
don't know, I can't see it available, maybe I should stop searching for a good scissor switch keyboard. It's a shame that such a nice idea is wasted by flat keycaps design and all that stuff.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 15:47:54 »
I feel like by nature, the scissor switch is meant to be mostly flat and low pro. Such a keyboard would be very niche and unless most people cared, which all they want is something that works and fits in a laptop/be flat. I personally would love one that was better, I sometimes use an old apple scissor board just cause I need a full size sometimes and I enjoy it.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 16:22:27 »
Check out the Logitech Illuminated, the wired version.  I went through about 4 of these before I got into mechanical boards.  It really is a pleasure to use.  The only downside is this board is extrememly sensitive to moisture and if even just a little gets into the board it is ruined.  I've considered purchasing one just to have and use when I please, but I've really adopted 60% profile for the most part.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 11:19:38 »
Check out the Logitech Illuminated, the wired version.  I went through about 4 of these before I got into mechanical boards.  It really is a pleasure to use.  The only downside is this board is extrememly sensitive to moisture and if even just a little gets into the board it is ruined.  I've considered purchasing one just to have and use when I please, but I've really adopted 60% profile for the most part.
I'll second this one.  It's the last of Logitech's true "PerfectStroke" keyboards, before they started throwing that label on anything with a scissor switch mechanism.  The DiNovo for Notebooks keyboard was the ultimate scissor switch keyboard, in my opinion.  The keys were sculpted, quiet, and had a longer stroke than normal scissor switch keyboards.  Their reliability was pretty bad, though, and virtually all of them that show up on eBay have a cluster of keys that no longer works, or people are asking obscene amounts of money for them.  Logitech also made an earlier scissor switch keyboard, the UltraX, that was very nice.  It was quite a bit snappier and the domes were a little heavier than the DiNovo, though.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 04:13:31 »
Check out the Logitech Illuminated, the wired version.  I went through about 4 of these before I got into mechanical boards.  It really is a pleasure to use.  The only downside is this board is extremly sensitive to moisture and if even just a little gets into the board it is ruined.  I've considered purchasing one just to have and use when I please, but I've really adopted 60% profile for the most part.
I will third this.

It really is a nice board, just beware, like any scissor, it's a bit fragile.
I had one fail due to something falling on it, any other board would have been fine, and a second due to a spill, but they served me really well for years.  If I was still using scissor, if I wanted another scissor it would still be right at the top of my list.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 14:30:17 »
I remember reading all sorts of good reviews for the Logitech Illuminated before the pandemic, even nostalgic ones.

But which model are we talking about? The K740? Because that one's wired, there's also the K800, which is wireless, I think.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 14:52:31 »
The K740. K800 does not have the classic PerfectStroke.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 15:54:45 »
The K740. K800 does not have the classic PerfectStroke.

Would it be safe to say that only keyboards with this weird nav cluster are PerfectStroke?

I would hope it is one of the nicest membrane designs ever conceived of for $60 new.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 18:51:45 »
The two Perfect Stroke keyboards I know of both have that weird nav cluster.  I'd never pay $60 for a new one, but I've seen them on sale in the $40-$50 range on Amazon, and I bought a mint condition one on Craigslist not long ago for $30.

Offline mollytat

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 07:33:39 »
Assuming you need a super slight scissor switch console, HP's Elite v2 is truly outstanding to browse. With a thickness of just 0.61 inches, it looks extraordinary in any authority or PC arrangement. It's a remote console that interfaces with different gadgets through a USB dongle.

Offline Altis

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 20:42:58 »

The Logitech MX Keys is the Craft without the wheel, so costs less (though still up there). The keycaps have spherical sculpting so it's as far from 'flat' as you can get with scissor switches (due to the way the scissors connect with the caps). It's easily one of the best-rated keyboards right now and probably the best scissor-switch board you can get.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 01:00:53 »
The keycaps have spherical sculpting so it's as far from 'flat' as you can get with scissor switches (due to the way the scissors connect with the caps).
Usually when we say "sculpted", we mean that the height and surface angle of each row of keys is different.
The Logitech Craft's and MX Keys' keys are dished but the keyboard as a whole has a flat profile.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 November 2021, 01:02:52 by Findecanor »

Offline jamster

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 04:19:33 »
I feel like by nature, the scissor switch is meant to be mostly flat and low pro. Such a keyboard would be very niche and unless most people cared, which all they want is something that works and fits in a laptop/be flat. I personally would love one that was better, I sometimes use an old apple scissor board just cause I need a full size sometimes and I enjoy it.

This is what I thought- scissor switches were a laptop thing, and so went hand in hand with low profile, generally flat caps.

I've had a couple of discrete scissor switch boards, the Logitech K380 and the older Thinkpad UltraNavs (the latter was really good) but both had low, flat caps.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 08:43:02 »
Sculpted scissor like PerfectStroke is sculpted but it's still flat compared to common desktop keycaps and ever since they've all gone more and more island or Chicklet style.

People and companies really need to stop using Apple as the trend setter. Seems the only time they haven't wanted to follow Apple was on mice, thank heavens.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jamster

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 10:23:38 »
People and companies really need to stop using Apple as the trend setter. Seems the only time they haven't wanted to follow Apple was on mice, thank heavens.

I had a Magic Mouse the same time I bought a Mac Mini.

It was quite seriously the ergonomically worst mouse I have ever used in my life, and I have been around long enough to have used mice in the 80s.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 10:44:47 »
Logitech's followed Apple's lead on their scissor keyboards, too, unfortunately.  I bought an MX Keys, thinking it would be decent, but returned it.  It feels almost exactly like an Apple Magic Keyboard, which has too shallow of a stroke, in my opinion.  Apple's older wired aluminum keyboard was slightly better and much more comfortable to type on.  The K740 is still far better, from a pure typing standpoint.  I have a Mac at home, but I use a Realforce for Mac keyboard and a Razer/Humanscale ProClick.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 11:39:18 »
Fr, the old apple alus slapped.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 13:51:04 »
They're getting even thinner. We just got some new Dell Latitude 3310s a little while back. I swear the keyboard is almost as cardboard-esque as a Macbook Pro keyboard. I think a totally flat surface with laser projection mounted in the bezel would be an improvement at this point.