Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 310293 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 02:04:59 »
Would you ever live stream the sculpting process? It'd be interesting to see imo

If it's anything like mine, I can guarantee that you'd be bored.

I've got a good attention span, suppose if there's commentary it can't be that bad. I like seeing the creative process to things like this, they're essentially small pieces of art  :thumb:

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 02:53:24 »
Would you ever live stream the sculpting process? It'd be interesting to see imo

I've got a good attention span, suppose if there's commentary it can't be that bad. I like seeing the creative process to things like this, they're essentially small pieces of art  :thumb:

So you're thinking it would be like watching Bob Ross paint  ;)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #302 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 06:19:25 »

So you're thinking it would be like watching Bob Ross paint  ;)

Never thought of that relation; absolutely. I watched a lot of the complete re-run and sometimes watch the mini-marathons.  :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:37:36 »
Without diving too far off topic, Binge has actually done sculpt sessions before.  :3  He did one when he sculpted Batfleck;D  (or maybe he sculpted Batfleck when he did one, I don't know which prompted the other)

(Attachment Link)

LOL!

(unless my memory is failing me, in which case pls ignore)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:40:28 »
Without diving too far off topic, Binge has actually done sculpt sessions before.  :3  He did one when he sculpted Batfleck;D  (or maybe he sculpted Batfleck when he did one, I don't know which prompted the other)

(Attachment Link)

LOL!

That is a hilarious keycap, but I'm going to ignore you just on principle. Your username no longer commands my attention without its all caps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:48:46 »

(Attachment Link)

LOL!

That is a hilarious keycap, but I'm going to ignore you just on principle. Your username no longer commands my attention without its all caps.

rood  -_-

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 09:35:30 »
< START.Update 8 >

Blehuelelalola-blaahhhhhh

Show Image

< END.Update 8 >

Looking forward to seeing the end product!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 23:27:02 »
< START.Update 9 >

So I broke my jaw a few times today.  It's about 1mm thick in most places and the epoxy isn't exactly up to the abuse I normally dish out on a thick application, apparently neither am I.   :p  Ohhhh frustration and repairs.

While that sits and sets I wanted to illustrate how I've begun to build up the upper jaw/skull of this new design.

Rough surfaces are easier to adhere new layers of epoxy.  This step will save me some trouble of sanding and cleaning epoxy dust off/out of the part.  The part is anchored in the maker's mark hole and rear gate/runner for stability when I'm adding more material to it later.  Hope it all works out!

< END.Update 9 >
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dohbot

« Reply #308 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 23:28:33 »
Wow binge man of Steel nice recoveries from breaking your jaw.
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 01:20:24 »
< START.Update 9 >

So I broke my jaw a few times today.  It's about 1mm thick in most places and the epoxy isn't exactly up to the abuse I normally dish out on a thick application, apparently neither am I.   :p  Ohhhh frustration and repairs.

While that sits and sets I wanted to illustrate how I've begun to build up the upper jaw/skull of this new design.

Show Image

Rough surfaces are easier to adhere new layers of epoxy.  This step will save me some trouble of sanding and cleaning epoxy dust off/out of the part.  The part is anchored in the maker's mark hole and rear gate/runner for stability when I'm adding more material to it later.  Hope it all works out!

< END.Update 9 >

This is by far my favorite of your step by step cap sculpts, seeing the $ynth in use and building the cap for multi shots is awesome.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #310 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 03:56:57 »
< START.Update 9 >

Show Image

< END.Update 9 >

This is by far my favorite of your step by step cap sculpts, seeing the $ynth in use and building the cap for multi shots is awesome.

Amazing insight into Binge's process.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:58:57 »
< START.Update 9 >

Show Image

< END.Update 9 >

Really nice to see it being used and what for etc. :thumb:

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #312 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:00:22 »
< START.Update 9 >

Show Image

< END.Update 9 >

I keep thinking these are going to be huge caps, and then I realize you're just zoomed in a lot.

It's really cool to see the progress you make with this.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:02:46 »
Any plans to show this thing off at the Philly meet?  ;D

Offline Pdub

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:03:27 »

. philly meet!?!?

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:09:49 »

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:25:39 »

Where have you been bro?  srsly I feel like every day you're on IRC and I'm right there talking about going to philly for this meetup and making a scene and ****.  Then I'm on here and reddit talking about bringing my dog and **** and showing off the goods.  GEEZE.

Job Description for Binge of Hunger Work Studios:  Official Broken Record

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:27:18 »

Where have you been bro?  srsly I feel like every day you're on IRC and I'm right there talking about going to philly for this meetup and making a scene and ****.  Then I'm on here and reddit talking about bringing my dog and **** and showing off the goods.  GEEZE.

Job Description for Binge of Hunger Work Studios:  Official Broken Record

LOL I know you're going to the meet. Just wasn't sure if you planned on bringing the :~$ynth.  :D

*edit* I could just see you being concerned since you're literally using it right now and could be a risk of damaging your work in transit and such. But you've also shown pics of those pieces off of the :~$ynth so it might not be as big of a concern as I think.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 10:50:58 by MrRooks »

Offline t347

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:28:31 »
< START.Update 9 >

Show Image

< END.Update 9 >

This cap is already looking incredible.  I can't wait to see the finished project!

Realforce 87u 55g

Offline crbr

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:40:58 »
When will we be able to purchase a $ynth?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:37:14 »

Pending announcement from Techkeys.

Offline crbr

« Reply #321 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:48:34 »

Oooooooh that sounds close.  I showed my gf the $ynth because she has been interested in sculpting a cap since all my recent purchases.  It will be fun to see what she comes up with, but I know a Llama was on the top of her list of creations lol.  Thanks again for making this for the community :)

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #322 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 10:50:57 »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Can't wait!

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #323 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 11:11:46 »

Yasss!
| ISO |

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #324 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 13:24:35 »

hype ;D

Offline Oxid

• resin rash and glitter
« Reply #325 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 19:01:36 »
Come to me, you marvellous creation, you; come to meeeee!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:14:06 »
< START.Update 10 >

OMnomNOMnom.

I have not had real time to sit down and do even small alterations to this piece, but there should be enough here to show the progress.  Building up this sculpture has its challenges, but so far with enough patience and planning everything is moving forward.

< END.Update 10>
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:57:44 by Binge »

Offline dohbot

« Reply #327 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:15:04 »
< START.Update 10 >

Show Image

OMnomNOMnom.

I have not had real time to sit down and do even small alterations to this piece, but there should be enough here to show the progress.  Building up this sculpture has its challenges, but so far with enough patience and planning everything is moving forward.

< END.Update 10>
This gets better and better with every update. Keep up the good work binge!

« Reply #328 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:15:54 »
< START.Update 10 >

Show Image

OMnomNOMnom.

< END.Update 10>

Every time I come to this thread I get hyped! What do you use for sculpting by the way? Sculpey?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:17:31 »
< START.Update 10 >

Show Image

OMnomNOMnom.

< END.Update 10>

Every time I come to this thread I get hyped! What do you use for sculpting by the way? Sculpey?

epoxy

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:36:54 »
< START.Update 10 >

Show Image

OMnomNOMnom.

< END.Update 10>

Ooh, It's starting to look more and more like a finished piece! :D Looks completely awesome; can't wait to see the finished product!

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:49:44 »
< START.Update 10 >

Show Image

OMnomNOMnom.

< END.Update 10>

I am loving the teeth! Is that the start of the lower jaw to the right though?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #332 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:56:36 »
< START.Update 10 >

Show Image

OMnomNOMnom.

< END.Update 10>

Lower jaw is already complete, see previous updates

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #333 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 13:58:05 »
< START.Update 10 >

Show Image

OMnomNOMnom.

< END.Update 10>

Lower jaw is already complete, see previous updates

Haha. Yep I am dumb and forgot.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #334 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:03:48 »
hmmm

Question for you Binge.

How would one go about carving or stamping the top of a cap for a mold?

Similar to to Clacks 420 cap.

I have slowly been getting into making my stuff and I really like simple blank caps.

So How could I get a functional mold that would allow me to carve or stamp, lets say, Illuminati symbol on top of the cap.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #335 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:37:40 »
hmmm

Question for you Binge.

I have slowly been getting into making my stuff and I really like simple blank caps.

So How could I get a functional mold that would allow me to carve or stamp, lets say, Illuminati symbol on top of the cap.

Ask again once you have learned how to make blanks.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:14:08 »
hmmm

Question for you Binge.

So I think I know how..

It is just the mold :(

I have used clay to make designs, but they usually look like a 3 year old made them.

So I stuck to blanks and have been mixing resins to get cool mixed colors.

But for the mold process I don't know how I would create a stamp on a cherry cap.

Unless I create a semi hardens cap and see if it accepts the stamp in that from and let it harden. Then make a mold from that cap.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #337 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:18:10 »
hmmm

Question for you Binge.

So I think I know how..

It is just the mold :(

I have used clay to make designs, but they usually look like a 3 year old made them.

So I stuck to blanks and have been mixing resins to get cool mixed colors.

But for the mold process I don't know how I would create a stamp on a cherry cap.

Unless I create a semi hardens cap and see if it accepts the stamp in that from and let it harden. Then make a mold from that cap.

Show us your blanks and the undersides.

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #338 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 06:02:24 »

I've seen you asking several people about the undersides of their caps; what is it specifically that you are looking for?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #339 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:41:07 »

I've seen you asking several people about the undersides of their caps; what is it specifically that you are looking for?
It's part of the artform.  There is a lot of finishing and technique that artisans put into all sides of their keys.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #340 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 09:56:13 »

It's part of the artform.  There is a lot of finishing and technique that artisans put into all sides of their keys.

I remember seeing that cap you made with the :~$ynth at the meet. The bottom from that looks so good.

Offline Oxid

• resin rash and glitter
« Reply #341 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:50:52 »

Pls no one look at my caps undersides!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #342 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 13:01:06 »

« Reply #343 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 13:10:23 »
I do love how you're actually taking steps to make the artisan process more accessible to the community! Any release date for these, or just SOON(tm)?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #344 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 13:10:43 »

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #345 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 13:13:51 »
I do love how you're actually taking steps to make the artisan process more accessible to the community! Any release date for these, or just SOON(tm)?
Techkeys.us will be releasing all sale information.  I'm just a creative director of sorts.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #346 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 14:19:13 »
Man this is really cool! I'm excited to see how one of these keys gets made!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #347 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:02:42 »
< START.Update 11 >

Everything has been moving along rather stellar like with regard to HWS :~$ynth projects.  This video illustrates how the stem insert works and provides keen insight on how to prepare the stem insert for use.

Pics of the resulting part,

aaand a little animated bit,

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCCET-AlWqL/

< ENT.Update 11 >

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #348 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:05:06 »
Been watching Tech keys intently -.-

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #349 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:18:30 »
< START.Update 11 >

Everything has been moving along rather stellar like with regard to HWS :~$ynth projects.  This video illustrates how the stem insert works and provides keen insight on how to prepare the stem insert for use.

Pics of the resulting part,

Show Image

Show Image

aaand a little animated bit,

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCCET-AlWqL/

< ENT.Update 11 >

Thanks for the update! I love the insight this gives to your process.