Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 312324 times)

Offline fendent

• * Maker
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #550 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 12:20:06 »
Out of curiosity did anyone get a timeframe of how long it takes to make new stems? I'm guessing a week or 2?

Mine will be here by Friday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Did you get the new stem in?

Yep, fits identical to my old sanded stem.

Great!

Hopefully you can add "and I can fit a cap on the new one"?

Everything works fine with the replacement stem. Video: https://instagram.com/p/BJoOk1JgSWP/

Offline Jpecina

« Reply #551 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 14:04:40 »
Mine arrived yesterday and all is well:) haven't had a chance to try it. Could this somehow be used to make a topre and mx compatible stem?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #552 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 16:48:40 »
Mine arrived yesterday and all is well:) haven't had a chance to try it. Could this somehow be used to make a topre and mx compatible stem?
Show Image

Show Image

Just worry about mx for now ;)  We're still working out the specifics of updates/upgrades.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #553 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 19:42:16 »
Did you guys get shipment notifications from Techkeys for replacement stems? I havent heard back from them since the 22nd 

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #554 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 19:54:31 »
Did you guys get shipment notifications from Techkeys for replacement stems? I havent heard back from them since the 22nd 

Yes, I did at least.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #555 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 20:00:17 »

Yes, I did at least.
I have not.. Is this automatic or do I have to contact them first?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #556 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 20:20:37 »

Yes, I did at least.

I think all the replacement stems or what was left have been sent out. Just got a reply from Techkeys the replacement stems are in production.

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #557 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 20:32:54 »

Yes, I did at least.

I contacted techkeys via email once I realized there was a problem with my stem. I was then updated via email once the new package was sent out. The response was immediate and I'm glad the problem was quickly recognized and solved.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #558 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 21:33:34 »
FWIW mine arrived Friday.
Everything seems fine and if it weren't for this thread I'd be none the wiser of any issues.
I'm a happy camper.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #559 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 06:19:42 »
I have a question - has anyone made a makers mark yet and if so how, and out of what?  I'm going to try and make one from the wax that's usually used for designing jewelery but it's so small!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #560 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 07:08:14 »
I have a question - has anyone made a makers mark yet and if so how, and out of what?  I'm going to try and make one from the wax that's usually used for designing jewelery but it's so small!

Is it possible to 3d print something that small and still have detail?

Offline Kenda

« Reply #561 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 07:10:23 »
Same question, wonder how to make that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #562 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 07:25:43 »
Well I've got a slightly domed bit of wax fitting snugly in there (with the help of a micro torch :))) but it now seems softer so harder to carve.  Going to get lunch and see if it just needs to cool more...

I guess a good 3D printer could work too but it is pretty damn small!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #563 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 07:33:36 »

green stuff, skill

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #564 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 17:31:18 »

green stuff, skill

Can confirm - purple stuff (wax) does not work well, guess I need to find some green stuff!  Or maybe it's the skill that's lacking...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #565 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 18:55:48 »

green stuff, skill

this?  :-\

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Stuff-Yellow-Epoxy-Putty/dp/B002MB61RQ

https://www.amazon.com/Citadel-Technical-Liquid-Green-Stuff/dp/B007SBBVKC/ref=pd_sim_21_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WJE2FTCCRWABFWWGG4RZ

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #566 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 18:57:19 »

green stuff, skill

this?  :-\

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Stuff-Yellow-Epoxy-Putty/dp/B002MB61RQ

https://www.amazon.com/Citadel-Technical-Liquid-Green-Stuff/dp/B007SBBVKC/ref=pd_sim_21_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WJE2FTCCRWABFWWGG4RZ
Yep!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #567 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 08:54:20 »
What are you guys using for pressure pots? I know I shouldn't go buy one from harbor freight, but have been looking in eBay.

How many of you don't use pressure pots and get good results?

When I have done casting in the past I used to throw them on the dryer when I was drying clothes to help eliminate bubbles.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #568 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 09:07:04 »
What are you guys using for pressure pots? I know I shouldn't go buy one from harbor freight, but have been looking in eBay.

When I have done casting in the past I used to throw them on the dryer when I was drying clothes to help eliminate bubbles.

http://www.finishsystems.com/resincastingpressurepots.html

Has been serving me well

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #569 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 09:08:52 »
Mine came in, fits exactly snuggly. Can't wait to test it out soon. Anyone use microscopes for accurate sculpting? Any recommendations?

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #570 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 12:14:56 »

http://www.finishsystems.com/resincastingpressurepots.html

Has been serving me well

Seconded. I have a couple of them and they're great tools, very solid.

Mine came in, fits exactly snuggly. Can't wait to test it out soon. Anyone use microscopes for accurate sculpting? Any recommendations?

I think a microscope would be a bit overkill, honestly. I use a dental magnification headset and that works just fine for me when doing detail work.

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #571 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 21:00:43 »
Quick question for all you Synth pros! After using the Synth a bit I've run into the problem of having the stem get stuck every single time. I went from using a little Vaseline on the stem and a little mold release to drenching it in both and it still gets stuck without fail. Always ends up in destroying the casted cap and prying the stem out. Not sure what else to try at this point and any help would be appreciated thanks!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #572 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 22:36:57 »
Quick question for all you Synth pros! After using the Synth a bit I've run into the problem of having the stem get stuck every single time. I went from using a little Vaseline on the stem and a little mold release to drenching it in both and it still gets stuck without fail. Always ends up in destroying the casted cap and prying the stem out. Not sure what else to try at this point and any help would be appreciated thanks!

what is the mold material?

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #573 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 23:05:52 »

What mold release are you using? Are you brushing the mold release out evenly across the surface after spraying?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #574 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:13:13 »

What mold release are you using? Are you brushing the mold release out evenly across the surface after spraying?

he is using Vaseline instead of a specific product.

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #575 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:16:12 »
We're using Oomoo 30, Alumilite Clear, Vaseline, and just CRC General Purpose Silicone Mold release. Biggest problem is the stem. Will not come out no matter what. Need to rip off the cap from the top and poke the resin through to finally be able to rip out the cap with tools. Thing does not come off, no amount of Vaseline and mold release is doing it.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #576 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 00:56:19 »

Do not use the dryer :)
Go to a thrift store and get yourself a cheap toaster oven. NEVER USE IT FOR FOOD AFTER USING IT FOR RESIN CASTING!!!
keep the casting in the mold and wrap the mold with foil and place it in the toaster oven for the temp and duration specified by the specifications document for the casting material.
see the notes on post curing.

post curing is also a good idea if you wish to extend the life of your molds. Also always keep a master cast for when your mold rips. It will rip. It is only a matter of when.

I have not used Oomoo as I stuck with the MoldMax line....

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #577 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 07:06:10 »

Go to a thrift store and get yourself a cheap toaster oven. NEVER USE IT FOR FOOD AFTER USING IT FOR RESIN CASTING!!!
keep the casting in the mold and wrap the mold with foil and place it in the toaster oven for the temp and duration specified by the specifications document for the casting material.

post curing is also a good idea if you wish to extend the life of your molds. Also always keep a master cast for when your mold rips. It will rip. It is only a matter of when.

Heat (from the exothermic reaction of the resin and from putting it into an oven to postcure the piece) and the action of the resin curing against the mold are two of the greater factors that contribute to decreased life of the mold.

We're using Oomoo 30, Alumilite Clear, Vaseline, and just CRC General Purpose Silicone Mold release. Biggest problem is the stem. Will not come out no matter what. Need to rip off the cap from the top and poke the resin through to finally be able to rip out the cap with tools. Thing does not come off, no amount of Vaseline and mold release is doing it.

Avoid using Vaseline for resin on silicone release. Get a small brush like a solder brush or any small brush with bristles, first. Spray a layer of release on the tool then brush it evenly. Don't go crazy. Just make sure there's no dry spots or big globs. Flip the tool and do that to the other side. Be sure you pay attention to the stem cylinder and the sprue holes. Apply the same process to the stem plug itself. Let each piece sit and dry for 15-30 minutes, then repeat again, allowing them to dry after the second application and brushing.

If you continue to have trouble, consider a different release. Universal Mold Release (UMR) or Mann Ease Release 200 are fine products and should have the properties you're looking for. Good luck!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #578 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 10:38:08 »

Oh I didnt use the dryer for the heat...

Mine shakes a lot so I used the shaking to help eliminate bubbles.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #579 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 10:59:07 »

Oh I didnt use the dryer for the heat...

Mine shakes a lot so I used the shaking to help eliminate bubbles.

yes, lots of shaking would do, do what we are born to do!http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/16/article-0-1ED1AA6900000578-849_634x426.jpg :)) ;)

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 09:31:44 »
Just quick update - I did get some replacement stems out from the remaining stock that I had, but the replacements are are supposed to ship to me on Monday.

Hopefully I can get all the replacements out by the end of next week.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #581 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 09:34:19 »
Just quick update - I did get some replacement stems out from the remaining stock that I had, but the replacements are are supposed to ship to me on Monday.

Will the stock be put back up on the store at that time too?

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #582 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 13:10:24 »
This may or may not be a dumb question, but even with vaseline the stem is stupid hard to take out of the resin and I've broken 2 caps just trying to get the stem out easily. So I was curious whether making a mold from the stem and recreating the stem piece as a silicone part would work or not?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #583 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 13:12:12 »
This may or may not be a dumb question, but even with vaseline the stem is stupid hard to take out of the resin and I've broken 2 caps just trying to get the stem out easily. So I was curious whether making a mold from the stem and recreating the stem piece as a silicone part would work or not?

You're talking about removing the physical metal stem from the Synth after casting? I put a shoelace through mine and pull. Takes a decent amount of force to pull it out, but it's come out nice and cleanly for me each time, using only Ease Release 200.

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #584 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 13:17:47 »

You're talking about removing the physical metal stem from the Synth after casting? I put a shoelace through mine and pull. Takes a decent amount of force to pull it out, but it's come out nice and cleanly for me each time, using only Ease Release 200.
I'll have to try that, I've tried easy release 200 but I swear it seems like nothing ever comes out of the canister, maybe I'm crazy but no matter what I do for directions it doesnt seem to want to come out.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 17:10:19 »

I'll have to try that, I've tried easy release 200 but I swear it seems like nothing ever comes out of the canister, maybe I'm crazy but no matter what I do for directions it doesnt seem to want to come out.

I use a screwdriver that fits through the hole to pull at it, fwiw. Make sure you're brushing it out on the stem too. I also had a tougher time with 200 than I did with UMR, though I'm sure that was my fault somehow. I know plenty of people use 200 just fine.

Offline AceRuckus

« Reply #586 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 01:38:20 »
Has anyone tried sculpting on this with Sculpey or something similar, non-epoxy? Was wondering how sticky it was to the synth after baking.

I use a screwdriver that fits through the hole to pull at it, fwiw. Make sure you're brushing it out on the stem too. I also had a tougher time with 200 than I did with UMR, though I'm sure that was my fault somehow. I know plenty of people use 200 just fine.

I've used some string and wrapped it in several times and muscled it out fairly easily.

Offline Str1pez

« Reply #587 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 19:39:57 »
Hello, I was in contact with y'all via email, but it appears I haven't gotten any word about the replacement stem shipping out yet.  I sent another email just now as well.  Should be from a Paul.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #588 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 02:15:49 »
Hello, I was in contact with y'all via email, but it appears I haven't gotten any word about the replacement stem shipping out yet.  I sent another email just now as well.  Should be from a Paul.

Can't send what they don't have but don't worry, you'll get one when they restock.  As will I :)

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #589 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 23:20:54 »
any tutorial how to use synth step by step im still confusing here

My + stem always get stuck because the resin getting hard and its really hard to remove it :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2016, 00:59:03 by gadzkun »

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #590 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 06:54:41 »

My + stem always get stuck because the resin getting hard and its really hard to remove it :(

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKEgJ1ZjuyG/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKEiXeIjDdA/

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #591 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 08:17:52 »
binge i have placed a piece of clay on top the synth and it has been gestating for three days now. the clay doesn't appear to have molded itself into a design.... not exactly sure how to move forward. also when i try to remove the clay, it makes a little screaming sound like a trapped rodent. it may be the cat droppings ive been smoking, it might be the tool itself.... the only way i can know is if u say so

please advise.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #592 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 09:02:36 »

Need moar mad science binee posts  :thumb:

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #593 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 09:20:30 »
binge i have placed a piece of clay on top the synth and it has been gestating for three days now. the clay doesn't appear to have molded itself into a design.... not exactly sure how to move forward. also when i try to remove the clay, it makes a little screaming sound like a trapped rodent. it may be the cat droppings ive been smoking, it might be the tool itself.... the only way i can know is if u say so

please advise.

Also would like to know the answer to this.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #594 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 12:26:45 »
Well I've just ordered a :~$ynth.
Now I need to figure out everything else I'll need to source and order.
 :-X
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #595 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 12:29:31 »

Looks like if people had taken the time to read up on stuff, they could've helped themselves. Who'd have thought?! Cray

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #596 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 14:20:08 »

Looks like if people had taken the time to read up on stuff, they could've helped themselves. Who'd have thought?! Cray
No need to be smug. Someone asked if there is a tutorial, no need to paint them as someone who's done zero research. GH is pretty hard to search through when you have specific questions.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #597 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 16:43:05 »

No need to be smug. Someone asked if there is a tutorial, no need to paint them as someone who's done zero research. GH is pretty hard to search through when you have specific questions.

Well, I mean, I did answer that question here on this very page though...  :))

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #598 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 16:58:19 »

I mean, I'm grateful for everyone leaving tips for people but "I use a screwdriver that fits through the hole to pull at it, fwiw" isn't really the answer, it's one answer and maybe you have hulk strength :))

I think it's clear that selling a DIY product like this that people should do their research, but I really hate the RTFM manual attitude because there is no manual to direct people to. 'Read the whole thread' isn't scalable advice. If only there was something better than forum threads for people to collaborate and neatly organise information.... :dogethink:

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #599 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 17:03:17 »

I mean, I'm grateful for everyone leaving tips for people but "I use a screwdriver that fits through the hole to pull at it, fwiw" isn't really the answer, it's one answer and maybe you have hulk strength :))

I think it's clear that selling a DIY product like this that people should do their research, but I really hate the RTFM manual attitude because there is no manual to direct people to. 'Read the whole thread' isn't scalable advice. If only there was something better than forum threads for people to collaborate and neatly organise information.... :dogethink:

Hah well I mean I suppose I was thinking more like this post

Avoid using Vaseline for resin on silicone release. Get a small brush like a solder brush or any small brush with bristles, first. Spray a layer of release on the tool then brush it evenly. Don't go crazy. Just make sure there's no dry spots or big globs. Flip the tool and do that to the other side. Be sure you pay attention to the stem cylinder and the sprue holes. Apply the same process to the stem plug itself. Let each piece sit and dry for 15-30 minutes, then repeat again, allowing them to dry after the second application and brushing.

If you continue to have trouble, consider a different release. Universal Mold Release (UMR) or Mann Ease Release 200 are fine products and should have the properties you're looking for. Good luck!

But I get what you're saying