Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 310367 times)

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #700 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 20:51:35 »

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #701 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:15:26 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #702 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:47:58 »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline HIAviator

« Reply #703 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 19:39:31 »
Have they arrived at Techkeys yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #704 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 19:40:57 »
Have they arrived at Techkeys yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Asking the important question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #705 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 09:07:34 »
I can assure you that the synth is not yet ready.  We are doing our utmost to make sure the product is of quality and will produce the intended results.  There will be an announcements of in the future as soon as information is available.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Loft

« Reply #706 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 11:58:44 »
If I've got the old stem piece from V1 is it still possible to get the updated version?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #707 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 06:57:11 »
If I've got the old stem piece from V1 is it still possible to get the updated version?

Yes it's definitely possible.  The parts should be compatible.  To be clear every stem that has been made has the same dimensions to make it compatible across all versions.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #708 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:18:09 »
In light of some recent events and pretty horrible attitudes I would like to say something about the :~$ynth project.

I did this wholly for the improvement of artisan keycaps for the community.  Many artisans have felt that the tool has assisted them in understanding the mold making and sculpting process by providing 1/2 of a somewhat complex solution. 

That one half is still the product of years of development.  I will not sit by and say nothing if I find my designs nearly 90% copied.  Anyone who believes they have justification to call me outrageous for wanting to protect what little IP my team is responsible for making is being far more unreasonable.  I may open a discussion with a maker if they are approaching a less gray area of producing their own molds when they share things on social media.  I may not have the entire story which is why I comment in the first place, but those with their hands deep into my team's designs and monikers should step back take stock in what it is they are doing and if they would have even had the inclination to create clones of what I have shown publicly. 

Take a deep breath or however many moments to turn the situation around and think about how you would like to be treated in the event an idea you made real becomes the focus of someone else's workflow.  It feels great to a degree.  It stops being great once that person who admires your work or is inspired by your work insists upon posting design renders of what they claim to be their own rendition of your work.

I ran into two such incidents this morning.  In one incident I asked that the $ynth name not be a part of their hard mold project.  The reason is wholly my own for asking, but I really want nothing to do with their work even though it largely borrows from my original design.  This person treated me with such disrespect and then threw another maker under the bus which brings me to the second incident.  A gentleman creates technical drawings and CAD renders of something that is ridiculously close to the $ynth and when confronted before I even knew about his posts on social media he says it's not copying because he doesn't own a synth and made the design off of pictures of the synth.

If by now you're wondering why I am having such a hard time or asking yourself why I want recognition in some places and not in others.  The answer is simple.  Some projects I truly believe are worth perusing, and I want to be supportive.  I do not believe in some redesigns of my work because they ignore certain calculated design considerations while using other design considerations which could make it confusingly similar to my work.  This confusion causes a lot of work for me when I get asked about someone else's project because it has $ynth all over it.  Conversely some designs are so similar I am actually impressed and proud that someone had reverse engineered my work from a photo, but why do they have to make it public?  Keep it to yourself or give credit where credit is due and state that the intention is for personal use only.  I know that it's a particular set of observations or demands, but I hope that this resonates with some people in and out of the community.

We're working hard to bring more synth models to interested artisans in the future and appreciate the patience of anyone willing to wait as we make sure the quality is 100% as designed.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
:~$ynth
« Reply #709 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:26:18 »
Very sorry to hear this, @Binge

Hope to have the opportunity to buy an authentic $ynth  from you at some point, which I'm sure will be perfect whenever you choose to release it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #710 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:27:44 »
That perfectly outlines how I feel as well.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #711 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:38:50 »
Attitudes about copying things vary pretty wildly[1]. What doesn't vary is that what you call someone who takes others' work without credit. You call them a liar[2]. That is because they are claiming to make something they didn't. If they honestly think reverse-engineering is "creation", they are lying to themselves.

[1] Sometimes within the same person. I'm personally proud that I was once called an "informational anarchist" by someone defending the patent system. At the same time, I totally get why people take it personally when their hard work is ripped off. Taking ethics seriously is hard.

[2] More specialized labels apply in some contexts, like 'plagiarist', 'backstabber', 'Microsoft', and 'politician'.

Offline Loft

« Reply #712 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:43:05 »
What a crumby thing to do. As a community we have to ensure we vote with our wallets and not support such things if they come to fruition. Sorry to hear about that  :'(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #713 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 12:02:43 »
In light of some recent events and pretty horrible attitudes I would like to say something about the :~$ynth project.

I did this wholly for the improvement of artisan keycaps for the community.  Many artisans have felt that the tool has assisted them in understanding the mold making and sculpting process by providing 1/2 of a somewhat complex solution. 

That one half is still the product of years of development.  I will not sit by and say nothing if I find my designs nearly 90% copied.  Anyone who believes they have justification to call me outrageous for wanting to protect what little IP my team is responsible for making is being far more unreasonable.  I may open a discussion with a maker if they are approaching a less gray area of producing their own molds when they share things on social media.  I may not have the entire story which is why I comment in the first place, but those with their hands deep into my team's designs and monikers should step back take stock in what it is they are doing and if they would have even had the inclination to create clones of what I have shown publicly. 

Take a deep breath or however many moments to turn the situation around and think about how you would like to be treated in the event an idea you made real becomes the focus of someone else's workflow.  It feels great to a degree.  It stops being great once that person who admires your work or is inspired by your work insists upon posting design renders of what they claim to be their own rendition of your work.

I ran into two such incidents this morning.  In one incident I asked that the $ynth name not be a part of their hard mold project.  The reason is wholly my own for asking, but I really want nothing to do with their work even though it largely borrows from my original design.  This person treated me with such disrespect and then threw another maker under the bus which brings me to the second incident.  A gentleman creates technical drawings and CAD renders of something that is ridiculously close to the $ynth and when confronted before I even knew about his posts on social media he says it's not copying because he doesn't own a synth and made the design off of pictures of the synth.

If by now you're wondering why I am having such a hard time or asking yourself why I want recognition in some places and not in others.  The answer is simple.  Some projects I truly believe are worth perusing, and I want to be supportive.  I do not believe in some redesigns of my work because they ignore certain calculated design considerations while using other design considerations which could make it confusingly similar to my work.  This confusion causes a lot of work for me when I get asked about someone else's project because it has $ynth all over it.  Conversely some designs are so similar I am actually impressed and proud that someone had reverse engineered my work from a photo, but why do they have to make it public?  Keep it to yourself or give credit where credit is due and state that the intention is for personal use only.  I know that it's a particular set of observations or demands, but I hope that this resonates with some people in and out of the community.

We're working hard to bring more synth models to interested artisans in the future and appreciate the patience of anyone willing to wait as we make sure the quality is 100% as designed.

That's so strange, that some of the people making artisans would be of questionable morals and/or skill... if only we'd know before you gave them a tool to help them mass produce these shoddy projects!!

*shakes fist*

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #714 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 12:25:20 »

I started sculpting artisans last month because I got my hands on the $ynth. It makes everything easier and honestly idk if I would of continued with my work without it. Thank you so much for designing it and making it available to us. I'm sorry some people are ungrateful and are trying to copy your designs, but know that there are a lot of us that very much respect what you do, and what you design. You've inspired me and others with your creations.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #715 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:14:49 »

I started sculpting artisans last month because I got my hands on the $ynth. It makes everything easier and honestly idk if I would of continued with my work without it. Thank you so much for designing it and making it available to us. I'm sorry some people are ungrateful and are trying to copy your designs, but know that there are a lot of us that very much respect what you do, and what you design. You've inspired me and others with your creations.

Appreciate the kindness :) Thank you and everyone else who has been sharing here.

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #716 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 13:03:49 »
Ugh. Binge I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. I wanted to chime in with a 'me too' in hugely supporting you. I'm not an artisan, I likely won't ever be but I do like to collect and display the artisans I've got. As a member of some open source projects I fully realize how one persons contributions impact the entire community in ways that are so greatly important and overlooked at times. The $ynth has been a burst of life into the artisan community and I too want to make sure that you are appreciated for your efforts as well as Techkeys and the people involved in various aspects of the project to make it a success.

Thank you for continuing to refine the project.

Offline Wylte

« Reply #717 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 14:06:13 »
Disclaimer:  I haven't seen the posts responsible for starting this, am just going off of what's written in this thread.

Wife is beginning the journey to being an artisan and has repeatedly lamented not having a tool like the $ynth, and the difficulty of getting one, so I understand people's motivation for trying to imitate.  That said, posting your imitation for others, using the name of the original, and having a ****ty attitude to the person whose work you're stealing is unacceptable.  Really sorry you're having to deal with this, and hope it doesn't hurt you guys or your relationship with the community.
Looking forward to the updated $ynth, and seeing how much more we can do with it  :thumb:
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #718 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:44:26 »
Sorry to hear that Binge, I'm sure that must be very frustrating. I just want to say thanks for all the work you put into the $ynth because I never would have tried to make my own artisan sculpts if it wasn't for your tool as a starting point. The project has definitely made an impact on the growth of the artisan community. Keep up the great work!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #719 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 00:54:18 »
I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has supported Binge, techkeys, and myself through this ordeal. I think I speak for all of us when I say your support, comments about design, and continued use of the synth has been a huge motivator to continue improving the design. Without you guys none of this would've been possible  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2017, 01:27:35 by Joey Quinn »

Offline xiaoxuesheng

« Reply #720 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 03:10:53 »
Where can I buy a metal die!!! Can you give me a website? Thank!

Offline FioraCorp

• AKA ABC
    • My insta
« Reply #721 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 03:35:35 »

I can assure you that the synth is not yet ready.  We are doing our utmost to make sure the product is of quality and will produce the intended results.  There will be an announcements of in the future as soon as information is available.

:thumb:

Offline xiaoxuesheng

« Reply #722 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 03:47:43 »

This is really convenient for a lot of creators, but also saves raw materials! It's really something for all lovers! I hope you can get some of your hard work! Support original! Yes, can you say a little bit of time, and the previous generation of $Ynth is how much money this I did not find

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #723 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 11:39:03 »

This is really convenient for a lot of creators, but also saves raw materials! It's really something for all lovers! I hope you can get some of your hard work! Support original! Yes, can you say a little bit of time, and the previous generation of $Ynth is how much money this I did not find

I'd imagine it'll cost about $80 or so shipped.

Offline xiaoxuesheng

« Reply #724 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 12:15:54 »

Thanks and look forward to getting it soon

I'd imagine it'll cost about $80 or so shipped.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #725 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 20:40:40 »
Hey Binge, been using the Synth a lot lately working on some sculpts. I've been noticing a lot of times where the 4 corner pieces get in the way of an area i want to detail, and i'm forced to go at it from a different/more uncomfortable angle. Kind of like if you are playing a game of pool in a small basement and you end up lining up a shot but realize your stick doesn't have enough room and keeps ramming into the wall so you have to figure out a different way that might not be optimal/workout as well. I'm not sure how finished the design is for the upcoming version but any change we could get those 4 corner pieces to be detachable (like putting a key onto a stem, or a lego)? Just pop them off when you're sculpting so you have more freedom, pop them back on when you're about to cast. 

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #726 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 21:23:46 »
Hey Binge, been using the Synth a lot lately working on some sculpts. I've been noticing a lot of times where the 4 corner pieces get in the way of an area i want to detail, and i'm forced to go at it from a different/more uncomfortable angle. Kind of like if you are playing a game of pool in a small basement and you end up lining up a shot but realize your stick doesn't have enough room and keeps ramming into the wall so you have to figure out a different way that might not be optimal/workout as well. I'm not sure how finished the design is for the upcoming version but any change we could get those 4 corner pieces to be detachable (like putting a key onto a stem, or a lego)? Just pop them off when you're sculpting so you have more freedom, pop them back on when you're about to cast.

Something like that would be possible but there are a few potential issues/ reasons not to. It'd make the synth more expensive to produce and thus more expensive to buy + if that were done it'd open the possibility for alignment issues when using the synth to cast caps.

In the end the final decision is up to binge but I don't see that being one of the synth changes we have planned.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #727 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 21:34:49 »
The corners also function as a blade guard for demolding.  The whole design is two fold.  One tool for sculpting and molding.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #728 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 09:23:12 »
I have been thinking about tinkering with artisans and came across this project. This is very cool. I've done some mould making and casting but have never done any sculpting. It seems to me having this easily reusable base is a no brainer. Now I just have to sit and twiddle my thumbs till this next version is ready for consumers.

twiddles thumbs... checks for updates... twiddles thumbs... checks for updates... 

Amazing work Binge, excited for when these are available again.

Offline met3or

• instagram
« Reply #729 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:48:17 »
Similar to the sentiments of other users in this thread, it's awful to hear about the troubles you're having Binge.  I'll be sure to follow and support this project as much as I'm able to!

I was looking to pick up a :~$ynth for some future projects of mine, but I'm also interested in the manual molding procedure, so would be interesting in leveraging the $ynth, once I've understood and practiced the molding / creating process from scratch! 

Look forward to future updates!
Leopold FC660C / Vortex Pok3r / CM STORM XT

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #730 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 14:58:06 »
Similar to the sentiments of other users in this thread, it's awful to hear about the troubles you're having Binge.  I'll be sure to follow and support this project as much as I'm able to!

I was looking to pick up a :~$ynth for some future projects of mine, but I'm also interested in the manual molding procedure, so would be interesting in leveraging the $ynth, once I've understood and practiced the molding / creating process from scratch! 

Looking forward to having more for ya :)

Offline Robotical

« Reply #731 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:12:11 »

Looking forward to having more for ya :)

I deeply regret missing on the first round. Can't wait for more to be available, already have some designs ready to be sculpted.

Offline hippiepete

« Reply #732 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 15:42:05 »
Hey Binge! just coming around to give ya a feel gud.

It's disheartening to see this type of behaviour in such a tight community. But i'm so very glad to be around during this transition in facilitating the creation of keycaps, so many new artisans have popped up since the $ynth and what's better than seeing people expressing themselves creatively  ;D

Looking forward to $ynth v2 :thumb: 

Offline monojira

« Reply #733 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 16:58:54 »
As somebody that is incredibly interested in the synth and wants to make high quality keycaps rather than eyeballing it and creating low-quality compromises, I am here to support you in your endeavour.
Although I usually follow you in many things you create anyways, would you be interested to setup a mailing list / newsletter for interested artisians?

I think many people here would greatly benefit from your invention and I can't wait to see the final results.

Greetings!
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:13:31 by monojira »

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #734 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:09:29 »
Couple questions regarding the synth. I'm going to be purchasing a Pressure Pot soon and need some more information on how to safely use it, I know it applies a uniform pressure to the entire pot and helps push out air bubbles. Using the synth in the past when casting I just use it as shown, create a mold of the top with your sculpt, remove sculpt, cast into mold and press synth into that on top then insert stem all the way and let sit. 

Now is it safe to still cast in this manner and place this into the pressure pot? My brain says that without in some way securing the synth/synth stem to the mold that the synth/synth stem would pop out of the mold. Is it okay to just rubber band this down, or is it safer to just create a two part mold (mold of synth+sculpt, and mold of synth butt+stem) and rubber band those together?  Obviously I will need to do the latter part eventually when casting more then one at a time, but for now I'm just working with a one off for testing/finalizing before I proceed.

TL:DR I am okay using the synth to cast without a pressure pot, about to use one, whats the safest way to go about casting using the synth in the pressure pot?

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #735 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:48:45 »
Now is it safe to still cast in this manner and place this into the pressure pot? My brain says that without in some way securing the synth/synth stem to the mold that the synth/synth stem would pop out of the mold. Is it okay to just rubber band this down, or is it safer to just create a two part mold (mold of synth+sculpt, and mold of synth butt+stem) and rubber band those together?  Obviously I will need to do the latter part eventually when casting more then one at a time, but for now I'm just working with a one off for testing/finalizing before I proceed.

TL:DR I am okay using the synth to cast without a pressure pot, about to use one, whats the safest way to go about casting using the synth in the pressure pot?

Yes, you cast in the same manner as you described. When pressure casting, make sure you also make the mold under pressure as well, or else any air bubbles present in a non-pressurized mold could implode when put under pressure and you'll end up with some defects in the mold.

You can use rubber bands to secure the mold to the synth, but I've never needed to do that because I don't use the half-mold more than a few times before I make a 2-part mold of the cap. The synth or stem won't pop out under pressure, since the force is applied uniformly.

Hopefully this info helps and answers your questions.

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #736 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 11:05:59 »
@Binge Came to see what the latest was on this project and came across all the drama. Sorry to hear this mate. I do hope that you continue with this and look forward to the developments.

I truly believe in naming and shaming, not just for shaming but so that those less in the know do not purchase 2nd class products. It does give them free publicity but it seems everyone here is supporting your hard work.

Whitefox|Granite    Tex Yoda II     Exent | dev/tty      MX Master       Planck|Big Bang

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #737 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 15:19:48 »

Yes, you cast in the same manner as you described. When pressure casting, make sure you also make the mold under pressure as well, or else any air bubbles present in a non-pressurized mold could implode when put under pressure and you'll end up with some defects in the mold.

You can use rubber bands to secure the mold to the synth, but I've never needed to do that because I don't use the half-mold more than a few times before I make a 2-part mold of the cap. The synth or stem won't pop out under pressure, since the force is applied uniformly.

Hopefully this info helps and answers your questions.

When you transition to a 2-part mold, is the 2nd part essentially just a copy of the synth's business end (with the 4 nubs and stem insert pointing downwards)?

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #738 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 16:46:44 »
When you transition to a 2-part mold, is the 2nd part essentially just a copy of the synth's business end (with the 4 nubs and stem insert pointing downwards)?

You could do that, but I always just make another mold from scratch, because I tend to smooth/sand some parts of the cap design after the initial cast.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #739 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 17:03:34 »

You could do that, but I always just make another mold from scratch, because I tend to smooth/sand some parts of the cap design after the initial cast.

Ah I see now, thank you! I've been trying to wrap my head around the actual process and logistics of casting while awaiting the return of the synth.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #740 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 01:01:36 »
congrats on the launch Binge!  :thumb:

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #741 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:58:36 »

Thank you!  Also grats to techkeys.us!

Offline Wylte

« Reply #742 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 02:29:09 »

Dat shadowdrop doe!  Got one ordered, excited to finally try $ynth for ourselves  :D
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline Phenix

« Reply #743 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:32:53 »
well.. did I got it right that have to build the artisan, do-that-with-box, receive the mold, and in the end use the mold to make a few more keycaps?
Winter is coming.

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #744 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 15:59:45 »

Congrats Binge and Techkeys!! Is this stem just MX or does it also support Topre?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #745 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 11:22:58 »

Congrats Binge and Techkeys!! Is this stem just MX or does it also support Topre?

Just MX this round

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #746 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 12:39:51 »

Just MX this round
To clarify you can make your own topre stem.  The body of the mold is compatible.  The provided stem is not.

Offline TheGlyph

« Reply #747 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 12:58:28 »
Excited to finally get a $ynth! Thanks for making the newest run happen =) Two questions for you (for now):

If using sculpy, do you consider it OK to bake the $ynth along with clay (275*F@15mins)?  Obviously the alu will be ok, but not entirely sure what kind of coatings you went with on the newest version.

Would you be willing to provide a dimensioned drawing of the parameter hole patterns? I'd like to make a single piece hole blocker so I don't have to fill them with clay every time I cast a mold (happy to provide my CAD for everyone else when I'm done).
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #748 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:01:10 »
Excited to finally get a $ynth! Thanks for making the newest run happen =) Two questions for you (for now):

If using sculpy, do you consider it OK to bake the $ynth along with clay (275*F@15mins)?  Obviously the alu will be ok, but not entirely sure what kind of coatings you went with on the newest version.

Would you be willing to provide a dimensioned drawing of the parameter hole patterns? I'd like to make a single piece hole blocker so I don't have to fill them with clay every time I cast a mold (happy to provide my CAD for everyone else when I'm done).

@TheGlyph - I think I could get that for you and even do you one better by getting that CAD pre-made.

There are no special coatings with the new synth, just hard anodizing.  You would want to put some sort of release between sculpy and the synth.  People have found a thin coat of vaseline to work with polymer clay, but please try other things.  I use vegetable oil for epoxy work on my synths.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #749 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 02:54:49 »

fwiw i've designed my own tool for this. the main measurement if you haven't figured it out by now is 19mm for opposing sprue holes center to center.