Author Topic: [IC] After | Noon - Two 65% Boards | ZTBoards x AEBoards (GB post pending)  (Read 32413 times)

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
246187-0

GB post up NOW: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107414.msg2930924#msg2930924

Who are we?

ZTBoards is a two-man operation, and we are making our debut with the release of the AfterNoon keyboards. Individually, we are:

Ellicose - runner of Cheshire, Ilpse, and a few other small private group buys
                PleaseBeMyFriend - builder for TypeMachina and JapaneseHorrorWriter (I tried to DM him once and he never replied tho).

ZTBoards (Zero Tolerance Boards) was an inside joke, but grew on us when we began to search for a name to use.

There is no origin behind the names of the boards, After and the Noon. We just wanted to pick the dumbest sounding name possible. Seriously though, at the time of creation we felt like there weren't any boards publicly available that checked all the right boxes, so these two boards are a culmination of that. We've been working on these keyboards since before January of 2020; if it seems like this came out of left field, that's because we wanted to have fully working prototypes and everything ready for production before posting an IC. Hopefully those who join this GB will appreciate these boards for what they are.

This GB is being run in collaboration with AEBoards.

Also: THESE ARE TWO DIFFERENT KEYBOARDS BEING RUN AT THE SAME TIME.

Final renders:
246153-1246155-2246149-3246151-4

Keyboard specs:
Noon
  • 5 degree typing angle
  • Isolation gasket mount
  • Brass top right corner blocker with ZTBoards Logo
  • 0.75u symmetrical bottom row blockers
  • Internal brass weight and toblerone side weight
  • USB-C Daughterboard
  • Blue 1.6mm (TBD) double flex cut PCB
  • VIA support
  • Colors: E-black, E-white, or Aegis Navy

Noon layout:
246157-5

After
  • 5 degree typing angle
  • Isolation gasket mount
  • Offset arrow cluster
  • Rotary encoder
  • 0.75u WKL blocker
  • Internal brass weight and toblerone side weight
  • USB-C Daughterboard
  • Red 1.6mm (TBD) double flex cut PCB
  • Colors: E-black, E-white, Burgundy
After layout:
246159-6

Other info: Unfortunately, because of the encoder, the After will not officially offer VIA compatibility until official support is added for encoders. Both boards will be programmable through QMK. Regarding PCB thickness, we found that the 1.2mm was too flexible and we think that 1.6mm is a little stiff, but we’re still deciding and will have our decision by the time the group buy starts. There will also be no LED support, RGB or in-switch.

We will be offering half plates with the kits because that's how we intended the board to be used, but we will be opening plate files for public use.

We are still sourcing and looking into other available knobs and the knob may change before the group buy begins.

Regarding the knob on the After, please feel free to use your own knob of choice (it will still come with a knob either way). You want one with a shaft diameter of 6mm and a knob diameter of 19.05mm.

Prototypes:

246171-7
246173-8
PLEASE PLEASE READ: Prototype error visible below, with the right side blocker clearly placed incorrectly. This has since been fixed and will be reflected in the final product!
246175-9

246165-10
246167-11
246169-12

Noon PCB
246161-13
After PCB
246163-14

There were only a few issues with our prototypes, none that affected use. We have made the necessary changes that will be reflected in the final product.

For the Noon, the right side blocker will be placed properly. For the After, the top and bottom bezels will be slightly thinner and the side bezels have been widened to be proportionate to the now thinner bezels. We have increased the overall size of the internal weight as well for the After. Both boards will have bigger USB C daughterboard openings as well.

Our monogram as well as AEBoards' monograms will be engraved in the internal weight as reflected in the final renders.

Typing videos:

Noon typing video:
After typing video:

Important Buying Info:

The group buy will be run via Google Forms. This will be a raffle style group buy! The boards will be offered to CONUS/CA and AUS only.

We will allow entries from Canada, but please note that you will be responsible for shipping costs as usual, along with any customs/import fees that incurs.

Units: 50 spots per board for CONUS / 25 spots per board for AUS
We are offering 25 separate units of each keyboard for AUS alone. We are only able to offer this to AUS alone because of our collaboration with AEBoards.
We will be allowing 1 entry per board!

Each kit includes:
  • 1 PCB w/ Daughterboard
  • 1 Keyboard Case
  • 1 Aluminum 1.5mm half plate
  • 1 knob for the After
  • Gaskets (AEBoards standardized gaskets)
  • Feet (AEBoards standardized feet)
  • Screws
Pricing will be $475 USD per unit for the CONUS units with a separate shipping invoice at the time of delivery. Pricing will be $550 USD per unit for the AUS/NZ units due to import fees and taxes, however, this INCLUDES shipping for AUS/NZ folks.

Timeline?
This will go into group buy July 11 at 10am PST for 1 hour, then will reopen again at 8pm PST for 1 hour. 
In the meantime, please fill out this form if interested: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScXLeCco2o4Hc2rv3yUgc4joupEcjcH214dZip7W1-tzexFNA/viewform

Questions and Concerns:
Q: Can you offer polycarbonate?
A: No, because we don’t like it.

Q: Hotswap PCB?
A: No.

Q: Why should we trust that these boards will be any good?
A: We believe boards are a mostly subjective topic, so if you don't like it that's unfortunate. However, we have tried our best to make sure these boards live up to the price point and are going to be quality boards.

Q: Plate material?
A: Aluminum and other materials TBD.

Q: "Hey man, those flex cuts don't actually work properly, did you even do any research on acoustics or etc?"

Q: "Hey man, those gasket mounts don't work/those gasket mounts are gimmicky."
A: That's not a question, but yes.

Q: Can you change the layout? I don’t like upper right blockers.

Q: Can you change the layout? I don't like WKL blockers.

Q: This design is just a copy of <insert keyboards/layout here>, how can you feel comfortable selling this? You should take it down.

Q: Why aren’t you taking feedback? <insert design element here> is a deal breaker for me.
A: We designed the boards with a vision and are sticking to it, feel free not to enter.

Q: Why aren’t you offering to international buyers?
A: Unfortunately, COVID has complicated many things, and this is one of them. We don’t want to deal with lost packages - this makes the customer and us unhappy :(

Q: Will there be a R2?
A: No. But yes. If there's enough interest.

Q: Where can I check for updates?
A: Geekhack.

Q: WYA Discord?
A: No Discord, as we plan on having timely updates posted on Geekhack, even if there is nothing notable to update.

Q: NE Extras avail?
A: Yes, small amounts, method of extras TBD. We will not answer any other questions pertaining to extras from here on out.

Q: How will the keyboards be programmed?
A: Both will be programmable via QMK, with the Noon supporting VIA. The After will receive VIA support when encoder support is added.

Q: Can I-
A: No

Special Thanks:

Thank you to the AEBoards team, the entire aio3 discord, log, ruiqimao, wilba, as well as the countless people who have made resources publicly available for us so that we could make this a reality. 

Updates:
Updated title and made some clarifications because there seems to be some confusion that these are not the same keyboards; they are two different keyboards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 16:10:59 by PleaseBeMyFriend »

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
Re: [IC] AfterNoon - Tandem 65% Boards | ZTBoards x AEBoards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 05:01:03 »
nice knob

Offline EvilemX8

Re: [IC] AfterNoon - Tandem 65% Boards | ZTBoards x AEBoards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 05:16:30 »
Hi all, Ellicose here, forgot to mention the date and time that the GB will start:

Two entry windows via Google Forms:

July 11 | 10:00am and 8:00pm, each time window will be open for 1 hour.

This new info should also be reflected in the main post.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
Eric from AEBoards here.
We've been helping these guys try to make their design come to life - one of the first of many collabs we have planned. It's looking really good and hoping that everyone will support these up and coming designers.

Offline junwon9710

Will look forward for this! Is there estimated lead time? And, which payment method do you guys accept? Will this be held on Aeboards website?

Offline VXQN

That red is makin' me feel things. Not personally to my taste but I love the philosophy/ethos you have going on and wish you a smooth group buy!

Offline ilikerustoo

Nice. Digging that red
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 07:00:30 by ilikerustoo »

Offline wackdragon

Great color, love the layout of the After!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website

Offline quadrotiles

Conus and Aus ;_; I should never have left Australia (although I could maybe convince a friend to proxy for me?)

These designs are really lovely regardless. Good luck with your group buy :)

Offline roguesystem087

:( conus and aus only :( god damn..........

Offline frostfiree

Oof, so hard to choose between After or Noon.
Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE | Thermal | Kei | GSKT-00 | Duck Orion V3 | U80 | Salvation | 378 | HHKB | Cloudline | Bias | TKL One | Kaze | Jane V2 ME

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Both boards look great.  I like all of the info you’re sharing about the process. 

Offline mudcakehoney

Hard yes from me, After especially gets me tingling

Offline Jyobah

very nice, both boards look great  :thumb:

Offline -Reflux-

Looks great. Definitely in for this.

Offline beekey

No Europe?  :( Damn.

Offline Zeelobby

Choosing between the two is harder than I thought it would be. For some reason I like this corner blocker when normally I don't...

Offline Goguma

this is pretty cool i guess, might have to set up a bot to help me grab both.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 11:23:01 by KingOfMemes »

Offline altc3000

This is so cool. Unlucky for me not in both US and AUS  :(

Offline Ashento

• 62G MX Zilents in a KBD66
Definitely going to try for the After. It's everything I liked about the Sat75, but with my favorite layout.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
typemachina never built any boards though?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
Will look forward for this! Is there estimated lead time? And, which payment method do you guys accept? Will this be held on Aeboards website?
4 month lead time!

Paypal will be the accept method for US. We are still running logistics with AE, but we will post info regarding that asap.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline EvilemX8

Choosing between the two is harder than I thought it would be. For some reason I like this corner blocker when normally I don't...

Forgot to mention, we are allowing 1 entry for each board. That way, if someone likes both, they can go ahead and try for it :) will edit in main body

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
Hey puddsy, I've been building TM Janes on behalf of Sheraton. I will be building more for him/TypeMachina in the near future as well. You can message him on slack for clarification as well.

Offline Shiro

wow, that red one is so beautiful.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Hey puddsy, I've been building TM Janes on behalf of Sheraton. I will be building more for him/TypeMachina in the near future as well. You can message him on slack for clarification as well.

feels like another case of the "this summers" that he's been doing w me for the last year or two
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline lz2019

can you please provide:
1. a top front view photo of a Noon prototype, like the 1st photo of After prototype.
2. a photo of a prototype, or any real material sample, of the Navy blue (the render looks nice, just need some real taste).
3. top case of After seems having a slightly wider frame than that of Noon, my eye can't really tell. appreciate a photo of the two sitting side by side, top front view.
thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 13:44:00 by lz2019 »

Offline EvilemX8

can you please provide:
1. a top front view photo of a Noon prototype, like the 1st photo of After prototype.
2. a photo of a prototype, or any real material sample, of the Navy blue (the render looks nice, just need some real taste).
3. top case of After seems having a slightly wider frame than that of Noon, my eye can't really tell. appreciate a photo of the two sitting side by side, top front view.
thanks.

Please refer to photos of navy colored Aegis keyboards from AEBoards for samples of the Navy blue. The renders also use the exact Pantone that we will use from the factory.

The After does have a slightly wider frame, because it is not the same keyboard.

Offline lz2019

Please refer to photos of navy colored Aegis keyboards from AEBoards for samples of the Navy blue. The renders also use the exact Pantone that we will use from the factory.
The After does have a slightly wider frame, because it is not the same keyboard.

is it possible to know the exact widths of the two frames?

Edit: just found the actual dark blue sample of Aegis Left Hand 1800 project, so that's it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 16:18:04 by lz2019 »

Offline dlavelle94

Why no EU?

Offline Dabouek

• c00l d00d
rotary encoder is Pog
give me the knob
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 15:02:15 by Dabouek »

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo

Offline dlavelle94

Why no EU?

Please refer to the Q&A.
God damn it. I’m dumb. Well it’s a beautiful board so GLWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tree_

Gonna be that guy, understand that designs are final but: After would be perfection if it had a badge or even blank space instead of a knob.

Offline EvilemX8

Quick update, forgot to clarify that CONUS also means Canada. Main post will reflect that as well.

Offline sozo

Gonna be that guy, understand that designs are final but: After would be perfection if it had a badge or even blank space instead of a knob.

Chimera65
https://cannonkeys.com/products/gb-chimera65-keyboard-standard-edition

Offline sozo

This is pretty cool, can we pick two different colors for top and bottom? I want rose gold and white.

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
This is pretty cool, can we pick two different colors for top and bottom? I want rose gold and white.

Unfortunately not. As a two man team, we are trying to reduce anything that might make things more difficult for us, so we are only allowing one color choice for the top and bottom.

Offline Tree_

Chimera65
https://cannonkeys.com/products/gb-chimera65-keyboard-standard-edition

Somehow didn't know this was a thing, looks phenomenal.

Don't mean to hijack the thread though - Good luck with AfterNoon guys!

Offline sozo

Unfortunately not. As a two man team, we are trying to reduce anything that might make things more difficult for us, so we are only allowing one color choice for the top and bottom.

ok I'll opt in for a rose gold one then. there is no rose gold. my apologies
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 19:18:39 by sozo »

Offline titanium

Will there be an option to purchase extra PCB/plate?

If not, will there be a separate PCB/plate buy afterwards?

Offline EvilemX8

Will there be an option to purchase extra PCB/plate?

If not, will there be a separate PCB/plate buy afterwards?

Yes, we'll have extra parts available for purchase which will be listed on the GB - still need to finalize plate material, but can expect the typical line up (POM, Brass, FR4, etc.)

Offline RossLocke18

Well too bad I moved out of Houston, stuck in Canada and can't get in on this, totally blows cause I'd get both for sure!

Offline sozo

Well too bad I moved out of Houston, stuck in Canada and can't get in on this, totally blows cause I'd get both for sure!

I believe that they are shipping to Canada, shipping will be invoiced separately!

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
These boards look pretty good, I like it, especially the e-white noon looks very promising to me, and depending on the offered plate material, I might just even join it (carbon fiber would be my choice of preference, but I guess it would make much sense to run it in terms of popularity/sales) :)

Offline EvilemX8

We're actually allowing Canadian buyers to enter! Post has been edited to reflect this change.

Offline Vaudevi77ain

This looks great. A 65% with a rotary encoder is one of my board goals, but I only wish this had WK, hotswap, and RGB too. Hope this GB does well for future iterations

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo

We are accepting Canadian entries and the main post has been updated to reflect that, thank you!