Author Topic: Where would you like to move, if you had a chance?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Where would you like to move, if you had a chance?
« on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 09:02:31 »
If there was no money, job issue or anything else, what place would it be?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: Where would you like to move, if you had a chance?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 09:33:33 »
I'd stay in Mass. Such a beautiful state.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 10:23:00 »
First priority - snowy mountains.  Second priority - English speaking (I don't appreciate foreigners who emigrate here and don't bother to learn the local language so I wouldn't do it)

Off the top of my head that leaves Canada as the only option, the USA being too crazy.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 10:30:14 »
First priority - snowy mountains.  Second priority - English speaking (I don't appreciate foreigners who emigrate here and don't bother to learn the local language so I wouldn't do it)

Off the top of my head that leaves Canada as the only option, the USA being too crazy.

Excactly my thoughts and dream:)
If I had money I would just f**ing leave and move to Calgary  :thumb:

I also like idea of living in Sweden, nice snowy place, but that language - no way I could learn it...

My ideal place: snowy, nice views, little house near forest, good internet, far from all the people, but not too far, that ambulance could pick me up in case of emergency, plus close enough for pizza delivery :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2022, 10:33:34 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 13:25:34 »
If I had my health, I think I would like to live in Kyoto, Japan for a year, but no more.
Then I'd like to return to precisely to the neighbourhood I live in in Stockholm, Sweden.

I also like idea of living in Sweden, nice snowy place, but that language - no way I could learn it...
Everyone speaks English here. But we don't really get that much snow in the southern half of the country - where most people live. If you want snow, nice views and healthcare: pick Norway.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2022, 12:30:07 by Findecanor »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 14:38:07 »
I'd get a nice plot of land with a chateau in the woods of Wyoming, near Yellowstone. That, or somewhere in the mountains of Colorado.
Very open to nature, perhaps a stream running through my property, heavily wooded at the perimeter, and I guess living out in the sticks I'd need a backup power grid as well of some sort.
That's my 'Win The Lotto' dream.
Either that, or moving to Northern Japan and opening a Brewery+Onsen in a similar peaceful wooded area/town.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 May 2022, 18:41:48 »
If I had money I would just f**ing leave and move to Calgary  :thumb:

Uhh, you might want to make sure you get a psych evaluation before you do anything that crazy.  Oh, and go Oilers!

Edit: I should have also answered the question.  Australia has always held a fascination for me, although it seems like everything in the bush is out to kill you.  I mentioned this to a colleague once who emigrated from Australia and he pointed out that surprising a moose or a grizzly in the Canadian woods probably wouldn't work out well for me either.  He had a point.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2022, 10:59:02 by ddot »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 10:10:32 »
If there was no money, job issue or anything else, what place would it be?

I would probably move to somewhere like Waterloo or Halifax

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 10:38:09 »
Somewhere with nice outdoors (biking, hiking, climbing, skiing, water sports). Would love somewhere just outside Vancouver, Squamish, or maybe Whistler + Sunshine Coast of BC. PNW or BC interior would also be nice, but really just any property out West with lots of nature and a laid back environment. Ohio is too flat for my taste  ;D

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 May 2022, 16:54:08 »
France. Lower taxes for our situation, better food, climate and language. Culturally closer. Also, not as rundown or dysfunctional as the UK.

Previously, was considering Switzerland. Very high salaries, very low taxes, better food and climate. Not rundown or dysfunctional at all. But due to reports of casual racism this option is now closed.

Ideally, I'd want to live in Spain, but taxes there are very unfavourable for us.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 10:27:11 »
Probably over here in the summer
Lausanne, Switzerland

It's the best view I've ever seen. Have family that lives close to here too : )   Not my picture. Looks close to what you see IRL.
Lavaux UNESCO - Terraced Vineyards
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 12:15:16 »
I'd move back to Nantucket, MA or one of the San Juan islands in Washington State.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 22:21:52 »
Washington State.

If only it weren't for the people, the weather, the constant politics, and everything being so expensive.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 May 2022, 22:48:35 »
Wouldn't want to live in one place. Chengdu as home base with rotation into Belgium,  Germany, Malaysia and Laos.

Offline iri

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 04:20:56 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 May 2022, 17:43:23 »
Belgium
You mean Flanders?

Actually would like to see Ghent. Already hung out in Brussels.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 10:25:28 »
Washington State.

If only it weren't for the people, the weather, the constant politics, and everything being so expensive.
That's why I would choose the San Juan Islands - not as many people, weather was fine to me the last time I was out there, and again you're away from the majority of a$$hats that mess the state up.  I stayed out on Orcas and San Juan, was amazing imo - also seeing the Orca's out on the water was epic as well.

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 May 2022, 10:28:03 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 20:28:55 »
286840-0
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!