Author Topic: Index's First Keyboard Project - Leopold Mod  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Index

Index's First Keyboard Project - Leopold Mod
« on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 15:55:34 »
This is going to be my first keyboard project. It's also going to be a very simple one. Basically, I'm going to design a PCB that will fit inside of the Leopold Tenkeyless. The features of this new PCB will be:

1) Reprogrammable
2) No LED lights, I hate those.

I love my Leopold Tenkeyless. However, there was one thing that was missing that would be really cool to have, which is the option to reprogram the keyboard controller. For instance, I would have liked to be able to change the 'Caps Lock' key to a 'Ctrl' key. This is a main reason why I decided to start on this small project.

The other reason was simply to just learn how to design and order a custom PCB.

I have a long road ahead of me.

Update 09/07/2011:
- I decided to go with the Teensy 2.0++ microcontroller for the sake of simplicity. Ordered 2 of them (1 with pins for testing purposes, 1 w/o pins for the actual keyboard) and a breadboard (lost mine :noidea:). They just came in!
- I also ordered the Leopold Tenkeyless. It should be in tomorrow.
- I got some help from PrinsValium with designing the PCB with KiCAD. Thanks Man!
- I'm halfway done with the PCB, just need to finish rearranging the layout on the PCB.
- Also, I just moved, so I'm totally broke. So, I won't be able to order the PCB anytime soon though.
- Ok, so I decided to switch from the Leopold to the Poker because of the new sexy Aluminum Poker Cases.
- I also decided to order all that parts of a Teensy 2.0++ so I can solder it directly on the PCB (surface mount soldering).
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B