Author Topic: [IC] GMK Midnight Rainbow GB Now LIVE (GB Thread Pending)  (Read 61725 times)

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
Re: [IC] GMK Midnight Rainbow
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 04:30:58 »
That J-02 :eek:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 04:39:08 »
NE icon mods avail

Nice renders! I like this! 🙏

Icon mods dont show off enough of the colours - test renders looked strange - this will be icon and text

There's elegance in subtlety. The set is classy to the point where I don't feel like it needs to be in your face to sell the design vision. Of course a cluttered cap will feature more color, but icon mods would elevate the sophistication of it and add a touch of character and make it more graceful.

Be confident in your design, you don't need to scream it out. 🙏
Less is more!

You like icon mods.  We get it.

And I am not allowed to share my feedback in an INTEREST CHECK? If I have interest in something, I'll share my thoughts. Sorry, if it annoys you, I don't care.

Perhaps you should run your own sets with icon mods before asking others to do so 24/7. Nines didn't have Icon mods (and hey, good thing, I wouldn't have bought it if it had), Firefly not either if I recall. Just my 2 cents :)

Don't troll please

Offline dantambok

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 05:13:04 »
let's do this!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 06:26:12 »
I am not familiar with the process of making a keycap, but will having more colours on a single keycap set make the set more expensive in cost?

Offline Waffle0508

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 06:28:49 »
I like it!
However imo the numpad and nav cluster could maybe change a bit because I think that right now it looks a bit formulaic compared to the alphas/mods (In terms of the vertical stripes vs diagonal stripes).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 06:55:12 »
I am not familiar with the process of making a keycap, but will having more colours on a single keycap set make the set more expensive in cost?

Almost certainly. i guess.

Offline FredBananaz

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 07:15:45 »
I'm interested. Definetly following this post to see how it'll turn out.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 08:28:42 »
I made a quick mock-up in KLE of how this set would look on a 75% layout with the keyset as it stands as of this post:

(Attachment Link)

As you can see, the gradient effect is mostly fine, except for three keys that would be better off with a different color: Fn in green, Scroll Lock (or Prtsc) and Insert in Purple. Perhaps the arrows would look better in blue as well (IMHO, WDIKAA).

I'll be the first to agree that tending to each and every possible variation in color due to differing layouts is, essentially, an impossible task, but at least a list of the most frequent color variations for common keys should be compiled and considered for addition (probably in a separate kit).

:thumb:

Yeah it’s stuff like this that I was alluding to in the OP. I need community feedback to make it the best I can without just making that whole right side purple.

As you say I won’t get it perfect for every layout and the current version is based on 60/65/TKL/mini1800/1800/full-size. Where I can make simple accommodations I will do. The arrows most specifically may have some revision based on feedback.

Potentially nutty idea here: how about making the whole nav cluster (13 keys) blue, and have the keys in the numpad sport the remaining four colors (green, yellow, orange, red) on each column from left to right? That would ease up the transition from purple to blue on fullsize and TKL keyboards, AND simplify quite a bit the same on compact (75% and under) layouts. We'd still need a green Fn key and purple versions of PrtSc, Scroll Lock and Insert, though (plus the special needs keys for the supra-R1 row of the 1800 layouts).

Offline nappis

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 10:26:14 »
I'm in!  :thumb:

Offline Waffle0508

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:10:22 »

I made a quick mock-up in KLE of how this set would look on a 75% layout with the keyset as it stands as of this post:

(Attachment Link)

As you can see, the gradient effect is mostly fine, except for three keys that would be better off with a different color: Fn in green, Scroll Lock (or Prtsc) and Insert in Purple. Perhaps the arrows would look better in blue as well (IMHO, WDIKAA).

I'll be the first to agree that tending to each and every possible variation in color due to differing layouts is, essentially, an impossible task, but at least a list of the most frequent color variations for common keys should be compiled and considered for addition (probably in a separate kit).

:thumb:

Yeah it’s stuff like this that I was alluding to in the OP. I need community feedback to make it the best I can without just making that whole right side purple.

As you say I won’t get it perfect for every layout and the current version is based on 60/65/TKL/mini1800/1800/full-size. Where I can make simple accommodations I will do. The arrows most specifically may have some revision based on feedback.

Potentially nutty idea here: how about making the whole nav cluster (13 keys) blue, and have the keys in the numpad sport the remaining four colors (green, yellow, orange, red) on each column from left to right? That would ease up the transition from purple to blue on fullsize and TKL keyboards, AND simplify quite a bit the same on compact (75% and under) layouts. We'd still need a green Fn key and purple versions of PrtSc, Scroll Lock and Insert, though (plus the special needs keys for the supra-R1 row of the 1800 layouts).

I think this would work, although idk how the entire nav cluster would look if it was all blue

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:11:55 »
Seriously, that looks like a great fit for a ZX Spectum board! I can feel a lot of people interested in this.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:58:59 »

Nope. Not unless they are custom colors.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 15:26:20 »

Nope. Not unless they are custom colors.

This is not correct.

Custom colors do not increase the price scaling, but amount of colors does.
Same amount of keys using the same amount of colors stock vs custom will be the same price, but increasing the amount of colors means increasing the price scaling.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 17:32:39 »
Thanks all for the feedback so far - I’ve made a list of the suggestions and I’ll be posting some updates in a few days.

There have been some solid ideas for tweaks to the kits (and some outlandish ones ) but I’ll take all the feedback on board and see where I can compromise and make positive improvements whilst keeping the core ideal the same.

I’ll also post a feedback form and some more renders as well as some signature images for here during the update as well.

Please do keep the comments, criticism, suggestions and ideas coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 18:10:05 »
Definitely in.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 19:20:55 »
Shut me up if this is a terrible idea, but what about a second escape key / set of arrow keys with white legends? Visualizing isn't a personal strength, so idk if that's intriguing or awful.

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 19:52:33 »
Saw R4 1u Fn in the keyboard render in purple, but in the keyset render the Fn is in Blue. Which one are you leaning towards?

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline BuildSteady

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 06:17:08 »
I need J-01 board in my life

Offline mtcrow

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 11:34:49 »
Strongly interested. Geeze, the number of awesome kits coming out is making my wallet skinny.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 11:40:37 »
I really think this would benefit from having two columns of TU2 legends inbetween the blue and purple, unless that dramatically increases the price point.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 11:55:21 »
I really think this would benefit from having two columns of TU2 legends inbetween the blue and purple, unless that dramatically increases the price point.

Assuming extant blue and purple are V4 and DY, wouldn't TU1 be better? I find TU2 to be too light.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 12:47:38 »

Assuming extant blue and purple are V4 and DY, wouldn't TU1 be better? I find TU2 to be too light.
You might be right, sorry I just defaulted to the teal/cyan that I knew off hand.

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 11:01:25 »
Handarbeit nights vs midnight rainbow omegalul

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 12:22:29 »
Handarbeit nights vs midnight rainbow omegalul

Yeah - interesting timing

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 13:44:25 »
Is there ANY chance of a colevrak kit.

I've got to ask...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline ZivZulander

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 16:10:20 »
I was hoping this would be rainbow spectrum by rows, because then it would have been perfect for the "dark Mac" (Dark Side of the Moon?) Lunar AEK build I'm making, since it would be a nice homage to the classic rainbow Apple logo. Although I guess I would have preferred they be Alps caps, as well...

Anyway, still interested in these for future build. Very cool looking caps. Would match well with iSwitch deskmat.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2019, 16:17:04 by ZivZulander »

Offline msting

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 17:22:10 »
Would love a Colevrak add-on for this! This should look sweet on my NK65 once it arrives.

Offline Rumai

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 21:54:01 »
Will support this. Jae is prob the most genuine person in keyboards.

Offline juliandoucette

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 15:02:19 »
I don't like this. But I'm certain it will have resell value.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 15:48:12 »
I don't like this. But I'm certain it will have resell value.

Found the flipper

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 15:58:58 »
it's so weird i like but at the same time don't.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 01:46:51 »
I love it. However I am concerned about violet tendencies - like contrast issues on the right side.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 02:44:23 »
It's like low-tech RGB, I wonder what the point is.

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 02:46:00 »
I may be in if an ISO-FR kit is added
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 07:27:52 »

Sadly that kit wouldn’t make MOQ. ISO will be covered but Azerty is one of the smaller subsets of ISO users. If I ever run a keyset in KAT I will def include it then

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 07:28:51 »

Point is to have keycaps on our keyboards.

Flippant answer over; the Real point is to support Pride movements and pay homage to sets like GMK rainbow

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 07:29:22 »
I love it. However I am concerned about violet tendencies - like contrast issues on the right side.

Yes it’s something I’m also worried about and looking at. If samples don’t work then the purple will be changed.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 19:00:59 »
the Real point is to support Pride movements

So are any of the proceeds at all going to pride movements? I didn't see anything that suggested that in your IC.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 19:08:18 »
the Real point is to support Pride movements

So are any of the proceeds at all going to pride movements? I didn't see anything that suggested that in your IC.

Personally I don’t intend to make any profit from anything I do in the hobby; whether that be this GB, my board GBs or streaming. This means there won’t be any proceeds from my perspective; other than to cover the costs I’ve outlaid on renders etc in advance.

But support for a cause doesn’t always mean donating money. Visibility, awareness, discussion, acceptance etc are all valid promotion. This set was inspired by the Manchester Pride movement as I’m pretty sure I mentioned in the OC. I’ll go back and check now.

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 21:41:47 »
I generally put Escape in the upper right for my non-fullsize boards, with tilde/grave in the upper left. Is this common for anyone else? Would it be an outlandish request?

It'd cause some color clashing, but if it doesn't work out, I could probably find an artisan to cover it up.
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 02:37:04 »
I generally put Escape in the upper right for my non-fullsize boards, with tilde/grave in the upper left. Is this common for anyone else? Would it be an outlandish request?

It'd cause some color clashing, but if it doesn't work out, I could probably find an artisan to cover it up.

I think that is pretty rare! It’s not something I’m looking to add to the set I’m afraid

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 03:22:59 »
NE icon mods avail

Nice renders! I like this! 🙏

Icon mods dont show off enough of the colours - test renders looked strange - this will be icon and text

There's elegance in subtlety. The set is classy to the point where I don't feel like it needs to be in your face to sell the design vision. Of course a cluttered cap will feature more color, but icon mods would elevate the sophistication of it and add a touch of character and make it more graceful.

Be confident in your design, you don't need to scream it out. 🙏
Less is more!

pls no not another set. icon mods are ugly.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 04:08:55 »
NE icon mods avail

Nice renders! I like this!

Be confident in your design, you don't need to scream it out.
Less is more!

pls no not another set. icon mods are ugly.
Sticking with Text and Icon

Offline pitfermi

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 11:08:47 »
im definitely in for one of these. my only concern is if the legend are gonna be visible at all due to the dark background

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 13:27:42 »

Sadly that kit wouldn’t make MOQ. ISO will be covered but Azerty is one of the smaller subsets of ISO users. If I ever run a keyset in KAT I will def include it then

Thank you  :thumb:
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline krey

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 08:23:24 »
This, I can definitely live with.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 12:46:46 »
Any updates on a date for the gb?

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 12:49:10 »
Intrigued!

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 12:50:43 »
Any updates on a date for the gb?
Still targeting H1 next year. Mike from NovelKeys has some dates in mind and we will share in due course. Likely to do a large update in January with revised kits, legends etc based on a feedback form which will launch this weekend