Author Topic: [IC] 66% Wooden Case  (Read 7979 times)

Offline Kapsi

[IC] 66% Wooden Case
« on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 08:37:01 »
210361-0 210363-1210365-2210367-3

INTEREST CHECK

Hi, my name is Willian, I'm 19 years old and I’m from Colombia. This case is the result of almost a year of work, it was also completely handmade by me (I'm not even an amateur woodworker, that's the reason for the imperfections of this prototype); I did it in that way basically because I didn't have access to a CNC Machine.

I would like to organize a group buy because I used a considerable amount of time and my savings to make this case come true (This is why I would be lying if I said I didn't cry when I saw the post of u/LouisVW -From Reddit-) If everything work out, I would like to use better wood like Walnut and Oak, but even if it didn't work, I'd be happy to have been able to build a mechanical keyboard -I couldn't have justified the cost as a college student- it was a wonderful experience in such a friendly community.

This is the first step as I have many future plans for the community (If this works). Thanks for your attention and have a wonderful day.

To do list:
-   Imagine the case: ✓
-   Buy all the keyboard parts: ✓
-   Build a prototype in Polystyrene: ✓
-   Build a wood prototype: ✓
-   Build the keyboard: ✓
-   Hire a ****ty photographer: ✓
-   Run the IC: ✓
-   Make the design in CAD for the CNC Machine:  ?
-   Run the GB (Hopefully): ?
-   Deliver everything on time perfectly: ?
-   Create a website to sell more keyboard stuff: ?
-   Make a living thanks to the mechanical keyboard community because I hate my career: Dreaming about it…
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2019, 09:37:51 by Kapsi »

Offline _ODIN_

Re: [IC] 66% Wooden Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 08:42:20 »
This looks nice. Great work

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 08:51:19 »
This looks nice. Great work

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk
Thank you so much! Means a lot.

Offline comdata55

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 09:11:37 »
Definitely interested, nice work!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 09:21:41 »
Definitely interested, nice work!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks! Feel free to fill out the IC  :D

Offline yap68

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 05:14:02 »
I like wooden case for the sentimental value over aluminium and admire your passion too. Good work.

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 06:44:31 »
I like wooden case for the sentimental value over aluminium and admire your passion too. Good work.
I agree with you, thanks for taking the time to write this, if you want you can fill the IC, take care.

Offline Obe

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 19:47:13 »
I'm defo in

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 21:08:57 »
Looks great. I’d def pick one up in a GB. I’m a sucker for good wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 22:43:54 »
Hey pal!

Nice to see a fellow South American around here (I'm from Peru). I really like the case. I'd definitely be in if it supported the Leopold FC660C. I'm curious about the combination of Topre + Wood. Must be ultra-thocky. LOL :D

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 09:58:39 »
I'm defo in
Thank you! Please fill out the IC and I will probably contact you in a few weeks.  ;D

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:09:31 »
Looks great. I’d def pick one up in a GB. I’m a sucker for good wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you very much, please, remember to fill out the IC so that I can contact you quickly in the very near future.  :thumb:

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:11:52 »
Not sure if I'm in, but a huge +1 for wood cases. Feel and sound is wonderful.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:37:18 »
Hey pal!

Nice to see a fellow South American around here (I'm from Peru). I really like the case. I'd definitely be in if it supported the Leopold FC660C. I'm curious about the combination of Topre + Wood. Must be ultra-thocky. LOL :D
Hello, how great it is to find people from this part of the world who love mechanical keyboards.  :)) Personally I would not know if it is compatible with the Leopold FC660C because this case was designed with the pcb offered by the people from clueboard; this pcb has the same dimensions of the Leopold FC660M. In case the PCB of the Leopold FC660C has the same dimensions that the FC660M It should work, take care.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:47:15 by Kapsi »

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 11:46:26 »
Not sure if I'm in, but a huge +1 for wood cases. Feel and sound is wonderful.
Well, you still have a few weeks to think about it, you may regret it so you can fill the IC and find out the details and decide whether to participate in the GB or not. :D

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 14:14:19 »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

INTEREST CHECK

Hi, my name is Willian, I'm 19 years old and I’m from Colombia. This case is the result of almost a year of work, it was also completely handmade by me (I'm not even an amateur woodworker, that's the reason for the imperfections of this prototype); I did it in that way basically because I didn't have access to a CNC Machine.

I would like to organize a group buy because I used a considerable amount of time and my savings to make this case come true (This is why I would be lying if I said I didn't cry when I saw the post of u/LouisVW -From Reddit-) If everything work out, I would like to use better wood like Walnut and Oak, but even if it didn't work, I'd be happy to have been able to build a mechanical keyboard -I couldn't have justified the cost as a college student- it was a wonderful experience in such a friendly community.

This is the first step as I have many future plans for the community (If this works). Thanks for your attention and have a wonderful day.

To do list:
-   Imagine the case: ✓
-   Buy all the keyboard parts: ✓
-   Build a prototype in Polystyrene: ✓
-   Build a wood prototype: ✓
-   Build the keyboard: ✓
-   Hire a ****ty photographer: ✓
-   Run the IC: ✓
-   Make the design in CAD for the CNC Machine:  ?
-   Run the GB (Hopefully): ?
-   Deliver everything on time perfectly: ?
-   Create a website to sell more keyboard stuff: ?
-   Make a living thanks to the mechanical keyboard community because I hate my career: Dreaming about it…
[UPDATE I] 66% Wooden Case
Disclaimer: What you are about to read is an update intended for people who filled the interest check, if you want to receive updates the interest check is still open.

Hi everyone,

I have been hesitating a lot about whether or not to make this email, despite that, I finally decided to do so because I consider that the key to build trust is in communication, so this email will contain two parts, the first, a summary of what has happened through my life since I started this journey and the second (surely the one that interests you most), how is it going the process of having everything ready for the eventual group buy, without more to say, let's start.

1) Exactly 4 months and 14 days ago I published the interest check regarding the 66% Wooden Case, I believed that from that moment on everything would still be the same exciting adventure that it had been until that moment, however, life did its own thing and two major events left me a little unmotivated to vigorously continue this process, first, my childhood pet, a beautiful shih tzu died poisoned and second, I ended my 4 year relationship with my girlfriend. Probably because of the tone in which I wrote the interest check you could see that I have not been a very happy person about the path my life is taking (because I really don't want to be a lawyer) and that is why I decided to run after this dream of living out of this wonderful hobby, definitely it is a crazy dream, but I must try and that is why, already feeling a little better with myself, I decided to continue striving to make it a reality.

2) First of all, I must try to put you in context so you can understand me a little better. As you already know, I live in Colombia, a third world country and one of the main problems that third world countries have, besides its inflation, is the lack of access to resources, there in the first world it is surely not difficult to access to quality equipment and machines that would make the whole process of building this keyboard easier and faster, but the reality here is different, very few people know or have equipment that can transform a virtual design into something tangible, this means two things; First, finding people with machines is complicated because they do not have much presence on the Internet and second, when you find them, unfortunately they are greedy. Why am I telling you all this? To put it in simple words, the costs of technology on this side of the world are excessively exaggerated, not at all in line with the quality of what you receive because they are products highly outdated and as a result of this, getting a computer capable of rendering a 3d design without explosion risks ends up being a titanic task (I am being a little exaggerated, they are really slow and sometimes restart before they do the job), that's why the only alternative I have had to recreate the prototype in files that can be read by a cnc machine, has been to go to third parties with better resources than I have at my disposal, which has generated another problem, older people do not usually take seriously someone 19 years old and therefore do not meet the promised deadlines.

However, despite the wall of text that I just wrote there is a couple of good news, the first is that since a week ago I have the designs of the case in 3d, this means that I will be able to test if the designs that I have meet the quality standards that I have set for you, and the second is that I am already in contact with a person who has a cnc machine and with that person if everything goes well (Hopefully), I can experiment and refine the designs.

Finally, I cannot direct the blame exclusively to the people who have helped me so far, because I am primarily responsible for everything going well and so I must admit to you that I definitely took many things lightly, mainly due to the fact that I was blinded by the excitement of seeing the case that I had imagined to become reality and to be able to share it with all of you. Surely at this point you have more doubts than answers and you are probably doubting whether or not to support this project because of all the undeniable instability that you will have been able to appreciate has had so far, but for me more than your money, what matters to me is to offer you a product that exceeds your expectations and it is for this reason that as an act of respect I decided not to rush things so everything goes as planned, and contact you today to update you of the current situation. I promise that every time I have significant news, I will try to be in contact with you, so, in the same way, if you have doubts, do not hesitate to contact me, I will be more than happy to answer you.

I hope your lives are going much better than mine, and as always take care.
Willian.

Offline husnulhamidiah

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 23:24:52 »
Do you have step by step creating the prototype with Polystyrene? I'm gonna build something similar for my FC660M

Offline Kapsi

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 12:37:11 »
Do you have step by step creating the prototype with Polystyrene? I'm gonna build something similar for my FC660M
Hey! Sorry for way to response, I've been dealing with a lot of issues I'd rather not discuss here.  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.  Since it was a personal project I didn't think anyone would be interested in seeing that part of the process, still, I want to wish you lots of success.  Although it is a very tedious process to do manually, it is very rewarding to see the result.

On the other hand, I will use this opportunity to make a small update on this project.  I looked for many local means to bring my vision of a quality product to life, however, I was unable to find any cnc service that would make the project economically viable for both you and me.  So I decided to pause it for now, while I save money to buy my own cnc machine and finish getting my law degree at the end of this year.  If all goes well, next year when everything calms down a bit worldwide I can bring you more encouraging news.  For now, thank you very much to all of you who have been interested and remember to stay safe!