Author Topic: Clack Valuation Thread  (Read 916204 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • comfortably numb
Re: Clack Valuation Thread
« Reply #550 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 17:19:41 »
I have no problem with reselling from a sale, I do however have a problem with some people thinking a 600% or more markup is OK.
That's not OK and it sounds moot when I say I won't pay more than a 400% markup, but you have to draw a line in the sand or newer folks will keep thinking it's cool to inflate the aftermarket prices further.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #551 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 17:40:10 »
Any mark up after first sale is ridiculous.  The only "markup" I think is justifiable after buying directly from the seller is the original cost + shipping + cost of shipping again.  After that first resale, the price, including shipping, should not inflate.  You did nothing to add value to the piece so you don't deserve to make a profit on it when there's a line of people wanting one.  You're a scumbag if you buy just to flip.  Those are no better than people who buy out the hot holiday toy of the year, then flip it on eBay or Craigslist to desperate parents at 300-500% over retail.

I'm outspoken on this issue though and I doubt I'll make a huge impact on anything. 

Anyways, this discussion is taking a turn for another thread, not one that really belongs here.

Offline redskull

« Reply #552 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 08:40:07 »
Any mark up after first sale is ridiculous.  The only "markup" I think is justifiable after buying directly from the seller is the original cost + shipping + cost of shipping again.  After that first resale, the price, including shipping, should not inflate.  You did nothing to add value to the piece so you don't deserve to make a profit on it when there's a line of people wanting one.  You're a scumbag if you buy just to flip.  Those are no better than people who buy out the hot holiday toy of the year, then flip it on eBay or Craigslist to desperate parents at 300-500% over retail.

I'm outspoken on this issue though and I doubt I'll make a huge impact on anything. 

Anyways, this discussion is taking a turn for another thread, not one that really belongs here.
i'm always with you on this matter nubs. not to mention, that the clack is 'used', so used item prices should go down instead of jacked up insanely high.

and yeah, not to derail or rustle anything, just saying my personal opinion.  ;D

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #553 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 00:11:04 »
What do you think my Darth Vader cc is worth?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #554 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 00:12:54 »

Depends on the color. Blacks are more common, there are also red and green ones but I don't think there are many around of those.

$200 minimum I'd say.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 00:17:11 »

Depends on the color. Blacks are more common, there are also red and green ones but I don't think there are many around of those.

$200 minimum I'd say.

Its just a black one.
Thanks for the info.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • snoozing
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 04:18:30 »

$200 minimum I'd say.

Its just a black one.
Thanks for the info.
I'd say around 200$
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #557 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 22:44:48 »
MX octoberfest blank
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #558 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 22:51:43 »
MX octoberfest blank
I'd say $150 max.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #559 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 22:54:11 »
MX EK gray skull?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #560 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 18:08:55 »
MX EK gray skull?

$150ish? Maybe a bit more since it's one of the less common single colors as far as I know.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #561 on: Fri, 26 December 2014, 18:15:59 »

MX EK gray skull?

$150ish? Maybe a bit more since it's one of the less common single colors as far as I know.

This would be my guess as well. If anything, I think it would be higher. And I feel like I've seen it trade for more valuable things in the past, but can't remember exactly.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #562 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 12:07:18 »
How much would a blank white mochi clack be worth? How about an octopink skull?

Offline just1n

« Reply #563 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:03:08 »

hello Will [size=78%]Cherry keyboard mx5000,mx2100. How much is $?[/size]

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #564 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:11:32 »

you have to ask this in the what's it worth thread

Offline just1n

« Reply #565 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:19:34 »

Yes, want to know what this is worth, will sell it

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #566 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:29:09 »

no, the price check thread. This is for click clacks only

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline just1n

« Reply #567 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 13:35:29 »

no, the price check thread. This is for click clacks only

I'm very sorry[/size],[/color][/size] I am[/color][/size] a layman[/color][/size].[/color]

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 21:11:40 »
What would a ChemBro be worth in Clacks?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #569 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 21:14:49 »
What would a ChemBro be worth in Clacks?

Whatever you and someone else think is a fair trade.

Also, if you like it what you're trading for, it's worth it.

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
« Reply #570 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:18:39 »
I have been ghosting everything click clack since 2011 now and the prices are literally a laughing stock. After coming to terms that i would never get my hands on an "Authentic" click clack key for my HHKP2 i have practically become a recluse and have even considered getting into my old molding. Which realistically could benefit my old mans sewing MFG. Figuring i convinced myself that i was going to start a prototype GH exclusive all in one peripherals bag and got caught up with life the adventure of learning a new craft (instead of staring at another bag in a sea of 'quite possibly' a million others) could propel one to say not "copy" but come up with ones own trade mark keycaps. Face it, topre caps need some love.

On topic: How much are the original black back drop, white skull press with red eye topre caps going for now a days anyway? That is still my dream HHKP2 ESC key...It would be the red translucent one if they ever decided to make a HHKP3 with some kind of LED backdrop. How sick would a HHKP2 be with a white LED backdrop, PBS white/black checker board design be? Sure wish i knew how to solder or wasn't sitting with permanent jazz hands from adderall to work with small wiring and soldering rofl.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #571 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:22:15 »
How much would a slushy red skull and slushy blue skull be worth (both topre)?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #572 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:24:31 »
On topic: How much are the original black back drop, white skull press with red eye topre caps going for now a days anyway?

That would be the "OG Tri" Clack, and it's going for quite a bit, if you can find one.  I don't remember specific prices, since it's been awhile since I saw one trade hands publicly, but "a few hundred dollars" would be a good starting point.  ;)  And apparently prices have skyrocketed in the last few weeks with eBay sales proving that common single colour clacks are now selling for $150-$200.   :confused:  So really, anything can happen.   >:D

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #573 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:28:20 »
On topic: How much are the original black back drop, white skull press with red eye topre caps going for now a days anyway?

That would be the "OG Tri" Clack, and it's going for quite a bit, if you can find one.  I don't remember specific prices, since it's been awhile since I saw one trade hands publicly, but "a few hundred dollars" would be a good starting point.  ;)  And apparently prices have skyrocketed in the last few weeks with eBay sales proving that common single colour clacks are now selling for $150-$200.   :confused:  So really, anything can happen.   >:D
it should be around 350 $

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #574 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:32:06 »

That's accurate.  I wouldn't be surprised if one sold for $450 though.  :)) :))

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
« Reply #575 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:38:49 »

Oh you know don't mind me, i can just ya know buy 2 entire topre boards for 1 topre keycap. For $450 you could try and fail enough times that 1 of them could probably come out right and figuring with the sea of fraudulent "clack keys" floating around the market is as fickle a mistress as ever.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #576 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:56:21 »

Oh you know don't mind me, i can just ya know buy 2 entire topre boards for 1 topre keycap. For $450 you could try and fail enough times that 1 of them could probably come out right and figuring with the sea of fraudulent "clack keys" floating around the market is as fickle a mistress as ever.

You are correct.  I'm not saying that I think it's great that they're selling at that price, just saying that they are.  ;)  I don't play the Clack aftermarket game, I just watch the show.  :P

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #577 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 16:26:37 »

here we go again...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #578 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 18:17:58 »

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #579 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 22:18:40 »
Could I get a value on a HC White Topre CC? I also have a white MX CC that doesn't seem to be HC White and is instead a little "milkier" in colour. Has an FXE marking on the back. Any ideas as to what it could be and what it could be worth?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 02:13:00 »
Could I get a value on a HC White Topre CC? I also have a white MX CC that doesn't seem to be HC White and is instead a little "milkier" in colour. Has an FXE marking on the back. Any ideas as to what it could be and what it could be worth?

could be depth white or ghost white.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #581 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 02:39:41 »
If this helps, these are the two CCs in question side by side. The topre HC White is on the left.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #582 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 07:21:22 »

So do both clacks have the FXE on the back? Or just one?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #583 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 19:41:30 »
Just so these are documented, Here are screenshots from the last few weeks of clacks that have been sold on eBay. Some of these prices are absolutely staggering.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #584 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 19:43:44 »
uhh strict, did you sell some?

http://puu.sh/eCwN3/d18006682b.jpg

notice how some say delete item..

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 19:45:50 »
uhh strict, did you sell some?

http://puu.sh/eCwN3/d18006682b.jpg

notice how some say delete item..

The seller is listed as hwood34 with 103 feedbacks ... the delete item is to delete from my watch list.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #586 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 19:46:31 »
Ah right, it seemed weird that some listings were listed twice, now I know why. My bad.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #587 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 19:58:31 »
That mint gum Esc used to be just $50 in Geekhack classifieds just a year ago! And I was appalled then! My god!!!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #588 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:00:42 »
Just so these are documented, Here are screenshots from the last few weeks of clacks that have been sold on eBay. Some of these prices are absolutely staggering.

Show Image

DAT JACK THO

Part of me hopes that's real, just because it's so absurd.

But then part of me hopes it's not, because :|

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #589 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:04:31 »

Show Image

DAT JACK THO

Part of me hopes that's real, just because it's so absurd.

But then part of me hopes it's not, because :|
No way that's legit.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #590 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:06:02 »
DUDE! Stop posting that **** in here! This is why people think Ebay prices are what to base value off of. Try selling those on any forum in the world at those prices and you'l be laughed right back under your bridge.

It's unhealthy to perpetuate fake inflated prices are real. Stop it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #591 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:06:19 »
I told you guys Freedom Eagle was going to $1400 and everyone thought I was joking.

Not that I've put it on eBay yet...

Not that I would do that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #592 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:07:22 »
STOP BASING PRICES OFF OF EBAY!!1!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #593 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:09:45 »

So do both clacks have the FXE on the back? Or just one?
The Topre has CF and the other one has FXE
Keyboards Owned:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Old enough to know better
Clack Valuation Thread
« Reply #594 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:10:35 »
I think that Jack O is really worth $700. I mean, it's pretty freaking awesome.

Yeah, I'm totally just trying to annoy Noisy. Haha.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:16:36 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #595 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:13:15 »

In this case, I agree with you.

But hwood's caps sold legitimately.  Why can't we use those prices?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #596 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:22:16 »

eBay fees, for one.  I have also noticed a huge disconnect between eBay prices and real market prices on many items.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #597 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:31:59 »

eBay fees, for one.  I have also noticed a huge disconnect between eBay prices and real market prices on many items.

Yep.  And even when we had auctions here, they were noticeable higher priced than non-auctions.  But the fact of the matter is that the caps did sell for those prices, so we can't simply ignore them.  IMO, they just deserve an asterisk by them to denote "auction".  They are still legitimate sales though.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #598 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:32:55 »

Yep.  And even when we had auctions here, they were noticeable higher priced than non-auctions.  But the fact of the matter is that the caps did sell for those prices, so we can't simply ignore them.  IMO, they just deserve an asterisk by them to denote "auction".  They are still legitimate sales though.

That's not a bad idea....

OR

we could just bring back AH on GH. Keep the riff-raff out  :cool:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #599 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:44:15 »
Noisy you shouldn't be hating on eBay prices, you could probably get over $1,000 for spumoni.