Author Topic: Recommendations to Level Up (65%)  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Sonikbotnik

• Formerly zorodude
Recommendations to Level Up (65%)
« on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 21:07:35 »
Hi all,

I have a stock Tada68, and a second Tada68 with their aluminum case, Zilents, and Pulse SA. I'm pretty happy with the latter, but looking to move to the next tier.

I have a set of Holy Pandas sitting in a box, and have been researching hot swap boards rather than testing my desoldering skills on what were highly-claimed switches out of impatience.

What do you recommend besides a Rama M-65B? I'm convinced of its quality, just not sure I'd love the bezel - I mouse pretty damn close to my case. So a m60-a https://rama.works/m60-a/ if it included arrow keys.

- I'm pretty comfortable at the the 65% size
- probably prefer hot swappable board, but not a deal-breaker
- like slimmer cases, but maybe you can convince me rama's not that bulky IRL
- could care less about RGB
- probably going to buy a GMK set soon, if that makes any difference

Cheers.

Offline psxndc

Re: Recommendations to Level Up (65%)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 21:32:35 »
Fwiw, the DZ65RGB is hot swappable and is compatible with your existing tada68 cases - it was what I upgraded to. I know you don't care about RGB, just giving you a hotswap option for something you already have.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Sonikbotnik

• Formerly zorodude
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 22:27:14 »
Ah, I appreciate that.

I was looking to buy a completely new set, in an effort to give another company a go. I do find that my work keyboard, the Esc / ~ key occasionally repeats (key pops up, but continues sending keystroke) - but I wouldn't know the first thing of how to gauge PCB quality.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 23:05:05 »
if you're into topre an fc660c with hasu is p good option
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline yuppie

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 00:38:43 »
Hey zoro, I'm a big 65% fan myself.

Canoe's are easy to come by. Not sure how much they're going for these days but they're solid.

The No.1/65 would probably be end game if you could find one.

The M65-A was a thing at one time: https://rama.works/m65a -- You might look around for one or ask Rama if he's got a spare laying around.

I'm waiting for a No.2/65 or the next Keycult 65% ... I'd also love to see a 65% TGR.

Other than that, just keep your eyes peeled. Lots of GMK GB's running running right now but I expect lots of great boards to come out next year.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline card0s

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 03:19:24 »
Hey there,

I'm kind of in the same situation as OP.
My current keyboard is an HHKB, I love the layout (Control and backspace keys FTW!!!) but, as a software developer, I really miss the arrows keys + Home and End combination.
So I am looking for a 65% case with a split backspace plate and PCB, preferably hot-swappable.

For switches, I'm pretty much settled on acquiring Zilents v2.
For the case, I have been looking at the KBD67 mkii DIY kit, but unfortunately, the hot-swappable PCB that comes in the kit does not have split backspace.

I can just get the KBD67 case and a separate plate+PCB but I'm not sure which ones would fit tbh.

If you guys have any other suggestions please let me know.
Also, 65% boards seem to be sold out everywhere.

Offline DaiLoDong

• Steam + Reddit same username
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 03:01:35 »
Hey zoro, I'm a big 65% fan myself.

Canoe's are easy to come by. Not sure how much they're going for these days but they're solid.

The No.1/65 would probably be end game if you could find one.

The M65-A was a thing at one time: https://rama.works/m65a -- You might look around for one or ask Rama if he's got a spare laying around.

I'm waiting for a No.2/65 or the next Keycult 65% ... I'd also love to see a 65% TGR.

Other than that, just keep your eyes peeled. Lots of GMK GB's running running right now but I expect lots of great boards to come out next year.

isnt the tgr 910 a 65%?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 08:51:45 »
yes the 910 is a 65%.  There are alot of 65 options out there to choose from, but finding one at the right price-point is another thing.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D