Author Topic: KMAC Mini running on QMK !  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Myoth

KMAC Mini running on QMK !
« on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 10:45:16 »
Hello all, recently I got interested in porting old customs to QMK and while scrounging the keyboards QMK supported, I saw the Revo Kmini (a KMAC Mini clone) was supported by QMK. (Just for the sake of understanding, Kmini will be referring to the Revo clone and Mini will be referring to the original KMAC keyboard.)

Anyway, I got curious and checked out how you used to flash it before and found out this thread here : https://www.keebtalk.com/t/programming-revo-kmini/2107 and more specifically the reply #6 on this same thread where Poesjuh uploaded a picture of the tool to program the Kmini, which is the exact same program used to flash the Mini.

And so it got my noggin' joggin' and I thought I might be able to flash the QMK hex file of the Kmini onto my Mini since the original hex of the Kmini was the same one as the original Mini. I asked around in the mechkeys Discord since I was pretty scared to flash a random QMK file onto my board and it seemed like there wasn't much to risk in theory. Still, was pretty spooked and it's only a few weeks later that I actually tried it and to my great surprise, it worked flawlessly ! So I'm happy to tell you that it's a possible mod that would bring much modernity to the Mini ! ... which brings me to the needed disclaimer :

Disclaimer : I flashed it but I'm no Electrical Engineer, for all I know I could killing my pcb slowly, which is why I wouldn't recommend it. However, let it be known that it's possible and seemingly viable.

Offline nevin

Re: KMAC Mini running on QMK !
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 10:54:25 »
if it has eeprom space you'd probably be able to use it with via as well. would have to create the layout json for via and flash another qmk hex with via enabled. but should work if it has an eeprom. if not, it's just another qmk hex that won't break anything long as the 1st one was fine.

let me know if it's something you want to look at or if you need help getting it compatible with via
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68