Author Topic: Hey guys Juan here  (Read 1370 times)

Offline spartan7

Hey guys Juan here
« on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:55:47 »
Just getting into keyboards and found a lot of good information on geekhack. I have seen some of the keyboards like the filco  that may have issues under Linux (10key). I dont know if this issue has been fixed and I thought best thing to do is ask someone that has already walked down this road.

I am looking for a full mechanical keyboard that works perfect under Linux. I have been looking at the DAS Pro 4 since it says Linux compatible on their site but would love your feedback.

thanks!!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Hey guys Juan here
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:46:23 »
First of all, welcome to Geekhack!

I think you are experiencing a confusion of terminology. You've probably heard of compatibility issues regarding N-key rollover, not the 10-key number pad. N-key rollover has to do with how many keys you can press simultaneously without "ghosting," which basically means keypresses aren't recognized because there are too many to deal with at once.

This is primarily a concern for gamers who often have to press a lot of keys in combination to accomplish in-game tasks. But since you are a Linux user, I doubt gaming is a major concern of yours.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Bsclly

• I hope you're having a good day!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:05:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack! :)
Switches Tried: Reds, Blues
Favorite Switches: Blues

Offline spartan7

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:15:18 »

I think you are experiencing a confusion of terminology. You've probably heard of compatibility issues regarding N-key rollover, not the 10-key number pad. N-key rollover has to do with how many keys you can press simultaneously without "ghosting," which basically means keypresses aren't recognized because there are too many to deal with at once.

This is primarily a concern for gamers who often have to press a lot of keys in combination to accomplish in-game tasks. But since you are a Linux user, I doubt gaming is a major concern of yours.

Maybe I am. Sorry for the confusion. The post is on geekhack
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64919.0

I do run steam but your right gaming is not a top requirement for me.

I really like the filcos but would much rather have a completely working keyboard. Have you used a filco on Linux? What do you think about the DAS Pro 4?

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:20:53 by spartan7 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:24:15 »

Maybe I am. Sorry for the confusion. The post is on geekhack
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64919.0

I really like the filcos but would much rather have a completely working keyboard. Have you used a filco on Linux? What do you think about the DAS Pro 4?

Well then you're not confused. They are indeed having problems with the number pad, but not on a full-size Filco keyboard. It looks like they're trying to use one of these. I have never heard of any problems with Filco boards on Linux, although I have never personally tried one.

Filco and Das both make very nice keyboards. But personally I like the simpler look of a Filco board.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline wonko

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 21:16:22 »
Welcome  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 02:21:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That Filco numpad sounds like a stand-alone numpad, not one integrated into a full size keyboard.  They do sometimes have issues in not returning numpad key codes, which is half the reason why a lot of people use the numpad e.g. typing ALT-0xxx to get accented characters.

There are a few threads about Linux keyboard compatibility:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22778.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37796.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61635.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ