Author Topic: [IC] XDA Oblique (GB live!)  (Read 169262 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] XDA Oblique (Soon™)
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 08:33:11 »
At the moment I'm not sure when we'll finally start this groupbuy. We had hoped to start before Canvas R2, but in the end we couldn't get everything ready in time and Canvas launched today. IMO running alongside Canvas isn't a good idea so we might have to wait until after. I haven't really discussed this with the vendors yet though, so I can't say for sure.

Waiting is the correct move - this is not to say the projects are tied to each other at all, but maybe looking at like a mid July launch whilst the GB for the Modern M0110 is undergoing would be a good idea.

Offline oumakavoula

« Reply #451 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 09:48:50 »
strongly agreed

Offline allysure

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 09:49:08 »
The samples are looking sharp. It is a no brainer to pick Oblique over Canvas. Think I will sit Canvas out and go all in for Oblique.

Offline xandr

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 09:49:21 »
Ooooh, shiny. Me like.

A stepped 1.75u ctrl-key in the accents-kit would make it even better. :)
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 09:55:33 »
Any chance for the international keys to support the three symbols per key where it applies?
Show Image

I'd rather not tbh.
The ones in the AEK do not have the tertiary legends. It also makes supporting more languages easier, as for example, shift+7890 is /()= on both German and Spanish, but German has {[]} on the atlgr layer and Spanish does not.
It will be cheaper and is more authentic.

kamisamamizu summed up my reasoning pretty well. Take a look at this German AEK for example, it has no tertiary legends:

Besides, I'd rather not make the international kit any larger or more expensive than it already is for fear of it not reaching MOQ.

At the moment I'm not sure when we'll finally start this groupbuy. We had hoped to start before Canvas R2, but in the end we couldn't get everything ready in time and Canvas launched today. IMO running alongside Canvas isn't a good idea so we might have to wait until after. I haven't really discussed this with the vendors yet though, so I can't say for sure.

Waiting is the correct move - this is not to say the projects are tied to each other at all, but maybe looking at like a mid July launch whilst the GB for the Modern M0110 is undergoing would be a good idea.

Yeah, that might be a good idea, it will undoubtedly be a popular combination ;D

Ooooh, shiny. Me like.

I might add that, I'll have to see what prices are like first before deciding
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2018, 09:57:31 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #455 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 09:57:39 »
Any chance for the international keys to support the three symbols per key where it applies?
Show Image

I'd rather not tbh.
The ones in the AEK do not have the tertiary legends. It also makes supporting more languages easier, as for example, shift+7890 is /()= on both German and Spanish, but German has {[]} on the atlgr layer and Spanish does not.

kamisamamizu summed up my reasoning pretty well. Take a look at this German AEK for example, it has no tertiary legends:
Show Image

Besides, I'd rather not make the international kit any larger or more expensive than it already is for fear of it not reaching MOQ.

Yeah, that might be a good idea, it will undoubtedly be a popular combination ;D

Ooooh, shiny. Me like.

Can agree. Good argumentation

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #456 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 10:12:54 »
Show Image

I'd rather not tbh.

Show Image

Thank you for your answer. I respect your decisions design-wise; however, it is really hard to believe that some extra die spots could make the set any more expensive. Good luck with the set.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #457 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 10:42:35 »
Show Image

I'd rather not tbh.

Show Image

Thank you for your answer. I respect your decisions design-wise; however, it is really hard to believe that some extra die spots could make the set any more expensive. Good luck with the set.

It's not so much the extra dye spots, but rather that the tertiary legends are different between different international layouts.

For example, I currently have one <> key. If I were to add tertiary legends I'd need a <> key for Norwegian/Spanish, a <>| key for German/Swedish/Finnish, and a <>\ for Danish layout.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline ungarida

« Reply #458 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 06:06:03 »
Any updated ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)?
I'm preparing to build my first keyboard and need to know if I can count on this beauty to be ready in the next month or so.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 12:06:43 »
I'm preparing to build my first keyboard and need to know if I can count on this beauty to be ready in the next month or so.
No chance this will be ready in a month or so. Even if the GB were live today, it would probably be ~ 6 months to get it.
The Canvas drop on massdrop has an estimated ship date of November 6th and that drop is already active.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #460 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 17:53:13 »

Ooooh, shiny. Me like.

+1 for stepped keys in the accent kit :D

Offline ungarida

« Reply #461 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 03:57:15 »
No chance this will be ready in a month or so. Even if the GB were live today, it would probably be ~ 6 months to get it.
The Canvas drop on massdrop has an estimated ship date of November 6th and that drop is already active.

I guess it was a newbie question  :))

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #462 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:56:40 »
I much prefer this set to canvas.  Is the issue the manufacturing or just the problem with hitting MOQ with canvas running now?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #463 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:16:39 »
I much prefer this set to canvas.  Is the issue the manufacturing or just the problem with hitting MOQ with canvas running now?

Probably just waiting until Canvas is done, and then having a cool-off period to make sure we hit MOQ.

Although with the amount of interest this has I doubt it won't get run.

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
« Reply #464 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:34:59 »
Love everything about these caps. Would be interested in an all-grey-beige set without color mods.

Offline macken

« Reply #465 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:38:40 »
What will the color be on the final ones? Are they just white or a little off white?

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #466 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:20:10 »
After a loooooon hesitation, I will join for the japanese alphas! they look too nice not to get them!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #467 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 18:53:21 »

Yeah, we're just going to wait until after Canvas so we're not competing with it.

What will the color be on the final ones? Are they just white or a little off white?

It's going to be pretty close to the light grey of the original AEK, sorry if my renders make it look lighter ;D

After a loooooon hesitation, I will join for the japanese alphas! they look too nice not to get them!

:thumb:

Offline katotaka

« Reply #468 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 01:39:01 »
Definitely getting into this! Slight delay means extra $$ to fill different layouts ;D

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #469 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 09:02:57 »
Delay more plzzz i need more $$$ for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ZROGST

« Reply #470 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 18:04:37 »
I think you nailed the old school Apple look on this.  The 40% render with CMYK is a particular modern and attractive take on the old classic. Great job

Offline Lormania

« Reply #471 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 22:43:23 »
I'm all for the light gray to match the classic, but I got to say that white version is niiice. Can't wait for the GB!

Offline katotaka

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 05:41:24 »
wild thought: I wanna see this set on a modern M0110 :p

Offline Starius

« Reply #473 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 09:41:17 »
wild thought: I wanna see this set on a modern M0110 :p

Thats the board I'd put this set on too, if I end up getting the Modern M0110.

Not only do I want a xda Oblique on a Modern M0110, but I also want a xda Canvas on a Tokyo60. 

And if you can't understand why, I guess you just never will....   ;) 
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2018, 11:14:57 by Starius »

Offline hempkat

« Reply #474 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 19:47:32 »
Any chance on getting a 1.5U Escape key in the compatibility kit? Highly interested in this set.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #475 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 20:27:39 »
Does anyone know how the cool grey color of this compares to XDA Milestone, the grey of XDA Canvas' modifiers, or the common grey blank XDA kits? I assume it doesn't match any of them but I'm curious if this kit's color would clash with any of the others.

Offline Thats to big

« Reply #476 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 09:45:38 »
Does anyone know how the cool grey color of this compares to XDA Milestone, the grey of XDA Canvas' modifiers, or the common grey blank XDA kits? I assume it doesn't match any of them but I'm curious if this kit's color would clash with any of the others.

The only photos me have so far have warm whites ('bout 5000k IMO, so quite far from the 6500 of the sun) and the others have the stock xda light grey, so (literally) wait 'n see

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #477 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 07:33:35 »
Update: new samples ;D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

zFrontier has the new samples in hand and took these amazing photos.

The dye-sub quality looks excellent, although I haven't seen it in person yet. It has similar alignment issues to the previous samples, which is expected since I sent them the same design files.

One thing I did notice was an error on the ⌫ and ⌧ keys where only one half of the cross is actually printed. I have no idea why so I'll be bringing this up so it doesn't happen in the final product.

These turned out great dude :thumb:

First time i'll buy DSA.. first second sensible colourway in the profile haha

Would it be rude to ask for some dodgy phone pics if/when you get the sample in hand? Those Zfrontier pics are too good - they look like renders.
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #478 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:05:12 »
^ except its XDA, not DSA...

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #479 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:49:20 »

Ooooh, shiny. Me like.

Definitely interested in a stepped kit as well!

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #480 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 11:17:30 »

Ooooh, shiny. Me like.

Definitely interested in a stepped kit as well!
+1

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #481 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 10:26:07 »
^ except its XDA, not DSA...

Well. You're not wrong..
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #482 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 15:57:28 »
The new samples arrived here, and I have to say I'm impressed. I was worried the quality mightn't be quite as good as the old ones, but it's actually a bit better ;D.

The line width of the font is also a bit thinner on these, it's much closer to what it was on my design files. I'll do a proper comparison this weekend.

I think the alignment is also a lot better, even though I sent them the same design files. I'm actually tempted to leave the legend alignment as is; if I move the legends any closer to the corners I think it'll look weird since the corners of XDA profile are quite rounded.

Anyway, here are the best ****ty pics my camera can take. If you want better pics you can have a look at the ones ZF took a while back.

Not sure if anyone cares to see what katakana look like on a dirty XT layout board, but it's currently the only Cherry board I have with a numpad :)).

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #483 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 16:13:21 »
Looks really good! Still eager to join!

They seem a bit too thin to me, but maybe I'm just used to the fat Cherry legends; it's been so long since I've had my AEK that I can't remember the weights of the font.

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #484 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 16:14:49 »
Those look amazing imo. Are you going to accept?

Offline Allo

« Reply #485 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 16:32:24 »
Ooh looks good! Any more pics of the icon mods?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 16:53:02 »
Those look amazing imo. Are you going to accept?

There might be a couple of tweak I'll make. Things like the J still don't match the AEK, but overall I'm very happy with these samples.

Ooh looks good! Any more pics of the icon mods?

There's a bunch of pics of the icon mods back in this post, and I'll post a couple more this tomorrow or Sunday.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #487 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 17:02:19 »
The new samples arrived here, and I have to say I'm impressed. I was worried the quality mightn't be quite as good as the old ones, but it's actually a bit better ;D.

[...]

Not sure if anyone cares to see what katakana look like on a dirty XT layout board, but it's currently the only Cherry board I have with a numpad :)).

This all looks so good. Excited about this buy!

Offline monkt

« Reply #488 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 18:00:44 »
Maybe I'm imagining it, but the Z looks like it's falling over. From a distance it looks fine, but it jumped out right away when I viewed the photo at full size. Other than that, looks great.

Offline allysure

« Reply #489 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 10:15:45 »
Looks really good! Still eager to join!

They seem a bit too thin to me, but maybe I'm just used to the fat Cherry legends; it's been so long since I've had my AEK that I can't remember the weights of the font.

Same. I find them just a tad too thin. But overall, they look great and I am looking forward to the GB!

Offline ipley

« Reply #490 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 00:14:50 »
when did it start?

Offline Allo

« Reply #491 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:55:54 »
With 2 days left in the XDA Canvas GB, do we have a date for this to start?

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #492 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 07:22:21 »
So hyped for the set! Gonna be my one big keycap purchase this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #493 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 11:19:26 »
Just saw the sample photos on Reddit. Looks really good, I'll be in for a set.

Offline Raqem

« Reply #494 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 21:09:44 »
I'm definitely in for a few different kits. I've been waiting for XDA Canvas for a long time, but I held back in anticipation of this GB.

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #495 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 21:19:31 »
I'm definitely in for a few different kits. I've been waiting for XDA Canvas for a long time, but I held back in anticipation of this GB.

Same here,
XDA Canvas is a nice set indeed,
but the more I look at this set the more it grows in me.
I might be spending more than I should on this set lol
this is just gorgeous ;D

Offline Starius

« Reply #496 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 21:55:10 »

Same here,
XDA Canvas is a nice set indeed,
but the more I look at this set the more it grows in me.
I might be spending more than I should on this set lol
this is just gorgeous ;D

I'm getting both Canvas and Oblique. 
I'm going to try to put Canvas on a Tokyo60 and Oblique on a Modern M0110.
Because I must... DO WHAT THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO DO *ahem* ... reasons.

;)

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 09:00:00 »
Sorry for the off topic but I'm unable to see any of the renders in the main post.
Were they removed? I saw the photos of the samples at reddit without problems.
Tried several browsers, private mode, cleaning cache, to no avail.

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 09:19:51 »
Sorry for the off topic but I'm unable to see any of the renders in the main post.
Were they removed? I saw the photos of the samples at reddit without problems.
Tried several browsers, private mode, cleaning cache, to no avail.

It seems to be problem with imgur,
if you middle click those small square,
it should redirect you to the actual photos.

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #499 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 18:36:01 »
any updates? Can't wait for the GB